BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-02-2024, 08:38 AM   #1
Sconi Guy
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Is it worth it?

Hey all,

Looking for some opinions on a subject which I'm sure will get me roasted, but I am truly torn.

I have a 2009 E93 M3 with around 53,000 miles with some moderate mods since buying it a few years ago. It is a total garage queen and spends 6 months a year in storage. I also have a wife and 3 kids, so I can't take the whole family during the months I use it.

I also just pulled the trigger about a month ago on a 2021 X3 M40, which has given me a ton of joy thus far. I absolutely love the vehicle, thus why I'm considering the upgrade.

I had a thought the other day of potentially trading in both on an X3M. This way I only have 1 vehicle and can drive an M car all year round as my daily. While I love my E93, the reality is the X3M stats appear better on paper and can fit the entire family. I don't race the M3, even though I only live 10 miles from Road America(Go ahead and roast away) and get my joy from normal road driving.

Depending on the value I get for my E93, I may also be able to go new or 1 year old on the X3M. I know I'm going to lose on the X3 M40, seeing as I only got it a month ago.

Am I crazy for considering this? Is it worth it to own an X3M? Any opinions are welcome, as I can see if both ways and am legitimately torn.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 09:26 AM   #2
dls-m2c
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C LBB, 2023 X3M Red

IMO you should keep the M3 and X3 M40. You'll get 95% of the X3M from the M40 and you will never get anything close to the M3 from the X3M. I have an M2 and an X3M. The only reason for the X3M was the color. My wife loves red cars and the Toronto Red fit the bill.

We drove both the X3M and M40 back to back and the M40 is a a better daily/people hauler.
Appreciate 1
Sconi Guy119.50
      02-02-2024, 03:35 PM   #3
aardate
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4MC

Keep your M3 and X3 m40. The M SUV’s are good but the b58 in your X3 m40i is also an amazing engine and it’s so comfortable compared to the harsh X3M variant. You will eventually get tired of the harsh ride. I have an X4M comp and put about 15k miles on it the first year of ownership, I do love and plan on keeping it long time but I got tired of the harsh ride and got another daily. Now I just enjoy my X4M on weekends or whenever I want to have fun.
Appreciate 1
Sconi Guy119.50
      02-02-2024, 06:06 PM   #4
jazredgt
Estoril Tings
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
I own both the X3 m40i and the X3M. They both have their pluses. The X3M and S58 are a different animal though. The rides are not drastically different. If anything the M seats in the X3M make the ride feel even better. The wife agrees.

2020 X3M - Stock
Appreciate 1
Sconi Guy119.50
      02-02-2024, 06:16 PM   #5
Marmugmotleocay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3M Competition

I had a 2020 X3 M40 but after a snowplow destroyed it and driving the X3M Comp at the BMW event I ordered a 2021 X3M Comp. I wouldn't go back. The B58 is great but the S58 is a total beast. You only live once.
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2024, 05:12 AM   #6
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

I’d do it because once I get the idea it has to be done and quick or I waste too much time thinking about it.
Appreciate 3
      02-03-2024, 05:13 AM   #7
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

This is such a subjective subject, it's like baby m versus M... I had a M235 and a M240 both xi's with the N55 and B58 (also had a 335xi and 328xi). Long story short, i don't want to be that guy but imo comparing a true M anything to a baby m or other is not fair, the M is just different, any M. The X40I is an awesome vehicle no question but to say it's almost an X3M, nope.
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
2009 335XI FBO / COBB / E30
Appreciate 3
      02-03-2024, 09:03 AM   #8
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21'-x3m40i 23'-m4c 24'-x3mc

GF has a 2021 X3 M40i - alpine white. It is a great vehicle. We love it. Fast, fun, looks great - it gets compliments. White w/ black wheels/black emblems. We put the little add-on chip that might be ?? 20hp added. It gets very solid gas mileage. Very fun but utilitarian. Not afraid to drive or park anywhere.

My 2024 X3Mc is a different animal. Suspect gas mileage. I don't like parking it near other a-holes. To me** it's kind of a super car that can blend in w/ the rest of the world. Most folks (98%) don't know how special it it. Wolf in sheep's clothing. The S58 is special, IMHO. I love it.

Now - the 2009. Man, I am not sure it is that collectable. It's got good value because it is not that old and is pristine. But eventually, market value may fail and only hold it's value to you.

Drive the X3M a few times. If** you are torn on the decision - the answer is probably no. If your gut tells you that you have to have an S58/X3M - then do it.
Appreciate 5
      02-03-2024, 11:41 AM   #9
Sconi Guy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Lou View Post
GF has a 2021 X3 M40i - alpine white. It is a great vehicle. We love it. Fast, fun, looks great - it gets compliments. White w/ black wheels/black emblems. We put the little add-on chip that might be ?? 20hp added. It gets very solid gas mileage. Very fun but utilitarian. Not afraid to drive or park anywhere.

My 2024 X3Mc is a different animal. Suspect gas mileage. I don't like parking it near other a-holes. To me** it's kind of a super car that can blend in w/ the rest of the world. Most folks (98%) don't know how special it it. Wolf in sheep's clothing. The S58 is special, IMHO. I love it.

Now - the 2009. Man, I am not sure it is that collectable. It's got good value because it is not that old and is pristine. But eventually, market value may fail and only hold it's value to you.

Drive the X3M a few times. If** you are torn on the decision - the answer is probably no. If your gut tells you that you have to have an S58/X3M - then do it.
I hadn't even thought about doing a bit of a longer test drive. That's a great idea. Now I have to find a dealer willing to let me take an M car for a few days. The last time I wanted to do a quick test drive they asked me to only put a few miles on it and even that was said with some disdain.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 02:23 AM   #10
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconi Guy View Post
I hadn't even thought about doing a bit of a longer test drive. That's a great idea. Now I have to find a dealer willing to let me take an M car for a few days. The last time I wanted to do a quick test drive they asked me to only put a few miles on it and even that was said with some disdain.
Good luck with that bud. Asking a dealership to borrow one of their M cars "for a few days" is one of the silliest things I've ever heard on this forum. You should try a company like TURO were you can rent nice machines for as long as you want. 1-2 days over the weekend or an entire week if you want & can afford it.

At the end of the day, it all depends on how much supreme performance, impressive acceleration & extreme WOT matter to you. In the mid to upper RPM's there's not many modern engines that are built today that can hold a candle to the S58. Just the fact that you have to ask means... you may not want this as much as you think you might think you do.

I didn't have to test drive my first X3 M (base /non-comp) much more then 1 single mile to determine it was for me. There are plenty of existing threads on this very same subject. So I would suggest thoroughly read them all until your eyes get dry & you become paranoid over the hyper-senstive hypochondriacs complaint about a poor ride quality concerns. You only live once. I like fast high HP machines & I never want to have regrets on getting the weaker of the two. Just my .02 cents.

2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 3
Sconi Guy119.50
M4Lou414.00
Jnat408.50
      02-04-2024, 06:11 AM   #11
Sconi Guy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
Good luck with that bud. Asking a dealership to borrow one of their M cars "for a few days" is one of the silliest things I've ever heard on this forum. You should try a company like TURO were you can rent nice machines for as long as you want. 1-2 days over the weekend or an entire week if you want & can afford it.

At the end of the day, it all depends on how much supreme performance, impressive acceleration & extreme WOT matter to you. In the mid to upper RPM's there's not many modern engines that are built today that can hold a candle to the S58. Just the fact that you have to ask means... you may not want this as much as you think you might think you do.

I didn't have to test drive my first X3 M (base /non-comp) much more then 1 single mile to determine it was for me. There are plenty of existing threads on this very same subject. So I would suggest thoroughly read them all until your eyes get dry & you become paranoid over the hyper-senstive hypochondriacs complaint about a poor ride quality concerns. You only live once. I like fast high HP machines & I never want to have regrets on getting the weaker of the two. Just my .02 cents.

I knew the suggestion would get a chuckle from someone.

I do find it funny how anal retentive BMW dealers can be though. When we were looking for a Suburban, the dealer threw me the keys to a fully loaded, brand new Suburban($88k sticker) and let me take it for 2 days. Smartest move he ever did, because my wife fell in love with it and needless to say we have a Suburban on her side of the garage.

My question doesn't hinge on whether I want and X3M, it hinges on whether it's worth trading in my E93 M3 and X3 M40 for an X3M.

I love my M3, the sound, the giggles I get from WOT, the permanent smile I have on while driving it. I just want to make sure I would have all those same things in SUV form.

I hadn't thought of renting one for a weekend, that is a great idea. 😀
Appreciate 2
      02-04-2024, 07:04 AM   #12
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21'-x3m40i 23'-m4c 24'-x3mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post

Yeah - my test drive was the S58 in my M4comp and riding in my partners 2021 X3M40i. I never "drove" an X3M before ordering.

My main driver was my 6.2l GMC siverado w/ 135k miles. Time for something newer. Just didn't want a new UAW truck. The GF/partner actually suggested the X3M (was looking at X5 M60's - or whatever is below the X5M).

Anyway - for the OP, drive it, rent it, whatever. If you are not sold - keep the two you have. If you gotta talk yourself into it, prolly a mistake. You'll never find a better condition used M3 - and you can always sell the M40i...to ..a woman! lol. just kidding (maybe).
Appreciate 1
Sconi Guy119.50
      02-04-2024, 11:08 PM   #13
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconi Guy View Post
I knew the suggestion would get a chuckle from someone.

I do find it funny how anal retentive BMW dealers can be though. When we were looking for a Suburban, the dealer threw me the keys to a fully loaded, brand new Suburban($88k sticker) and let me take it for 2 days. Smartest move he ever did, because my wife fell in love with it and needless to say we have a Suburban on her side of the garage.

My question doesn't hinge on whether I want and X3M, it hinges on whether it's worth trading in my E93 M3 and X3 M40 for an X3M.

I love my M3, the sound, the giggles I get from WOT, the permanent smile I have on while driving it. I just want to make sure I would have all those same things in SUV form.

I hadn't thought of renting one for a weekend, that is a great idea. 😀
I would NEVER sell any E9X M3 in my stable. Unless it was a high mileage poorly taken care of car. That was at the height of their pureness. The ones now have electric steering & will never sound as glorious as that 4.0l V-8 does. If it were me I would sell the X3 M40i & get the X3 M. Unless your M3 is heavily modified & has a power adder to make it no longer normally aspirated, your M3 will now seem very slow. Trust me, S58 lust is a real thing & once you experience it you'll never want to go back to the B58. Please rent one & report back.

And you story about the dealership tossing you both the keys for a few days... just hearing that story alone made me feel as if I was living in the past. Those days are over by a long shot & dealerships don't play by those same rules anymore. Sure, it's fun to reminisce about things & breath in a touch of nostalgia. But just that thought alone is old school. No one allows that anymore. We all like to think of fond old memories. The S58 & the chassis it's attached to will blow your current machines out of the water.

So keep the M3 to keep your ties to the past current & get a highly capable AWD monster we know as the X3 MC.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
Sconi Guy119.50
      02-05-2024, 01:47 PM   #14
F97_Rico
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC

You're insane to consider trading/selling the E9x M3. Lol. That's just my opinion. Keep what you have. While the X3M is amazing, I wouldn't give up what you're considering for one.
Appreciate 1
Sconi Guy119.50
      02-05-2024, 03:25 PM   #15
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

I have an e93 (summer only) and X3M (daily).

In your shoes, I would keep your current 2 cars as, for me, they fulfill very different roles.
Appreciate 1
Sconi Guy119.50
      02-06-2024, 05:40 PM   #16
dunny
BMW/Mopar Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

I’d keep the M3 and trade in the X3. But as others said, that swap may not be worthwhile depending on the details.

I have a same year as you (and nearly identical miles) 135i, last production month with the N54. I decided against trading it in on the X3M because there’s days I like to run through the manual gears and enjoy the analog experience it offers. I’d imagine that M3 can provide the same experience for you so I’d hang onto it for sure 😎
'20 X3M / '09 135i M-Sport / '91 318i
Appreciate 1
Sconi Guy119.50