BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-02-2019, 08:19 AM   #45
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
noun
noun: dilution
the action of making a liquid more dilute.
the action of making something weaker in force, content, or value.
"he is resisting any dilution of dogma"
a liquid that has been diluted.
plural noun: dilutions
the degree to which a solution has been diluted.
"the antibody was applied at a dilution of 1:50"
FINANCE
a reduction in the value of a shareholding due to the issue of additional shares in a company without an increase in assets

Still trying to figure how adding more M " dilutes " the brand. If anything the brand is stronger with more * M * infused across the lineup.

BMW is sprinkling more M throughout the lineup, while adding new tiers of badass... and that's dilution.

I'm seeing the same " dilution " over at Porsche, AMG, AUDI.. it's called SUCCESS !

I know people are just whining and pining for the good old days when BMW made only three M models ... and guess what ... I WAS THERE ! .. but make your whining sensible... man.

Holy crap who wants to go back to the days of just M3, M5 and M6?

I couldn't agree with you more.

I like the little m models. They're an excellent addition for people who don't want/need/can afford a full M.
Idiots have confused 'M Pack' cars with 'M' cars for decades already. I don't mind that those same idiots now confuse 'm' cars with 'M' ones. They are idiots, just ignore them.
I've owned E46M, own two E9X Ms and also an F80 CS. The F80 continues to improve on the breed even though it has things I don't personally like, like a turbo engine and EPS. But when I take it on the track it feels just like M cars always feel and is massively more capable than previous generations. I am 100% sure the G80 will be a similar step up.

As far as full M SUVs, bring it on! It was pretty dumb back in the day that you had to buy a Cayenne Turbo if you wanted a properly fast SUV. Now you can keep your stable fully M Powered... and people complain? Just don't buy what you don't like.
Appreciate 4
      10-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #46
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Didn't know they filled it with 89 at the factory for delivery to dealerships.
Most likely was filled up by the dealer with 89.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #47
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i MSport View Post
Quote:
Not very likely, is it?

Oh hang on, you guys use a different octane rating to Europe...not only are your gallons the wrong size...🤣

Over here, you wouldn't put less than 95 RON in, which is the lowest petrol you can buy in the U.K., which is equal to US 91 (still means US 89 is rubbish).
Quote:
Quote:
Not very likely, is it?

Oh hang on, you guys use a different octane rating to Europe...not only are your gallons the wrong size...🤣

Over here, you wouldn't put less than 95 RON in, which is the lowest petrol you can buy in the U.K., which is equal to US 91 (still means US 89 is rubbish).
I'm sure once they run out they will be putting in 91-93 octane.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #48
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNick72 View Post
2 questions...

How’d you get real license plates so quickly? Illinois convicts must be better than Texas convicts!

Why are you running 89 Octane when the minimum is 91 for this engine? Did the dealer really pour 89?

J
Haha if only! This plate was a transfer over from our F90 M5 To answer all the questions about 89 Octane: it was the delivery fuel. We of course run the recommended 93 now, but the ECU is / was more than capable enough to adapt in either direction as necessary in the short term.

To know that the car achieved these numbers with 89 is fantastic and we have no doubts it'll make more with 93 or higher The fact that we disclosed the car was on 89 was a case of complete transparency and data and nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmonkeyjr View Post
I'm very curious on how you came about with a 10% drivetrain loss..

I've never seen it that low as most cars are 15-20%. Closet car I've seen to that is the Koenigsegg and it's rated around 12% as one of the most efficient.
To be completely technical about it, percentages have always been somewhat of a debatable topic and one that can vary per manufacturer (and even further by model). The design of each drivetrain, however many parts are shared, are inherently different as a whole working system and hence, the total amount of horsepower lost to the laws of physics may be different.

Yes, as a general statement, more powerful ICE engines inherently generate larger thrust force on the drivetrain (which in turn produce even more friction and heat in the process) and yes, this car is an AWD platform—both of which could theoretically be prone to greater loss. However, it can be argued that cars like this are often more highly capable to manage corresponding thermal conversion better than most and drivetrain losses, even despite the AWD, will be lower than average.

Any way you cut it (even at a more conservative 15% loss), the car is putting down impressive power, especially on delivery fuel.

- IND X3MC (Crank): 542hp
- IND X3MC (10% Drivetrain Loss): 491.7
- IND X3MC (15% Drivetrain Loss): 460.7
- IND X3MC (20% Drivetrain Loss): 433.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
are you going to test on 93 octane and race fuel?
Definitely plan on going back with 93 and certainly after some mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Was this at all wheels or just the rears? I would think the driveline loss at all 4 would be between 20 and 25%. Combine that with 91 or higher fuel, well, you got yourself a rocket.
This is an AWD run

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM2 View Post
Yes, absolutely
      10-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #49
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

I'd loooooove to see the dyno run of the S58 compared to the S55 in the same graph!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 01:42 PM   #50
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcusem3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentm View Post
That's insane power, but why?

I get it, "why not" right.

I feel like BMW has sold out the ///M Brand. It use to be exclusive, only certain models and only few models offered the M package or M sport. Now, it's ///M on everything. Worse part is that the owners are convinced they are driving an M car. Lol..
I agree but this is a real ///M vehicle. Its the M performance and M sport models that are the issue. Take this from a guy who has owned many real ///M cars and has the ///M8 comp on order.

Peace
Sorry you wasted your money on an m8
Well I am not. Fantastic daily driver for a 100 mile commute. Reliable and never left me on the side of the road in 50000miles. My ///M6 was fantastic now tell me another high performance daily driver with great service and reliability. Not Benz, not Audi, not Ferrari or Lambo. Maybe Bentley but even more money and expensive service. Benz service is garbage. Porsche maybe but until they make another 928 there is no Coupé GT. 911 makes for a terrible daily driver with awful ride on potholed Michigan roads.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #51
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I feel like BMW has sold out the ///M Brand. It use to be exclusive, only certain models and only few models offered the M package or M sport. Now, it's ///M on everything. Worse part is that the owners are convinced they are driving an M car. Lol..
I agree but this is a real ///M vehicle. Its the M performance and M sport models that are the issue. Take this from a guy who has owned many real ///M cars and has the ///M8 comp on order.

Peace
Well I am not. Fantastic daily driver for a 100 mile commute. Reliable and never left me on the side of the road in 50000miles. My ///M6 was fantastic now tell me another high performance daily driver with great service and reliability. Not Benz, not Audi, not Ferrari or Lambo. Maybe Bentley but even more money and expensive service. Benz service is garbage. Porsche maybe but until they make another 928 there is no Coupé GT. 911 makes for a terrible daily driver with awful ride on potholed Michigan roads.

Noushy
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 03:10 PM   #52
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

I'd love to see a dyno chart with the S58 vs the S55, really interested in the differences between the shapes
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 03:10 PM   #53
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

I'd love to see a dyno chart with the S58 vs the S55, really interested in the differences between the shapes
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 03:14 PM   #54
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 03:14 PM   #55
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Curious to see if it picks any power up after the break in service too.

I hope that dealer doesn't regularly put 89 in their vehicles! I go to the same one
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 05:27 PM   #56
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not very likely, is it?

Quote:
Quote:
Not very likely, is it?

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 07:01 PM   #57
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@IND View Post
Haha if only! This plate was a transfer over from our F90 M5 To answer all the questions about 89 Octane: it was the delivery fuel. We of course run the recommended 93 now, but the ECU is / was more than capable enough to adapt in either direction as necessary in the short term.

To know that the car achieved these numbers with 89 is fantastic and we have no doubts it'll make more with 93 or higher The fact that we disclosed the car was on 89 was a case of complete transparency and data and nothing else.

To be completely technical about it, percentages have always been somewhat of a debatable topic and one that can vary per manufacturer (and even further by model). The design of each drivetrain, however many parts are shared, are inherently different as a whole working system and hence, the total amount of horsepower lost to the laws of physics may be different.

Yes, as a general statement, more powerful ICE engines inherently generate larger thrust force on the drivetrain (which in turn produce even more friction and heat in the process) and yes, this car is an AWD platform—both of which could theoretically be prone to greater loss. However, it can be argued that cars like this are often more highly capable to manage corresponding thermal conversion better than most and drivetrain losses, even despite the AWD, will be lower than average.

Any way you cut it (even at a more conservative 15% loss), the car is putting down impressive power, especially on delivery fuel.

- IND X3MC (Crank): 542hp
- IND X3MC (10% Drivetrain Loss): 491.7
- IND X3MC (15% Drivetrain Loss): 460.7
- IND X3MC (20% Drivetrain Loss): 433.6

Definitely plan on going back with 93 and certainly after some mods

This is an AWD run

Yes, absolutely
491 RWHP at 10% DT loss is 546hp at the crank.

491 RWHP at 15% DT loss is 578hp at the crank.

etc,etc..
Appreciate 2
      10-02-2019, 07:40 PM   #58
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Woah.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 12:37 AM   #59
m981addicts
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 98Mz3-09-135i6sp-13-135isDCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Imagine the S58 in a car that'll be roughly 800 lbs lighter
Like dropping off the proverbial gorilla home before heading to the drag strip.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11490.00
      10-03-2019, 06:27 AM   #60
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Peace

Noushy
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11490.00
      10-03-2019, 07:20 AM   #61
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:

Noushy
It's sad to get hated on for having an M8 while in BMW forums... the world is too full of starving people who don't have two quarters to rub together yet speak a big game when it comes to the theoretical cars they'd spend their nonexistent money on

///M Power for life
Appreciate 3
      10-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #62
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:

Noushy
It's sad to get hated on for having an M8 while in BMW forums... the world is too full of starving people who don't have two quarters to rub together yet speak a big game when it comes to the theoretical cars they'd spend their nonexistent money on

///M Power for life
👍

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 10:59 AM   #63
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Peace

Noushy
Clearly works for you. And far better than M car owners who never drive them...

I used to live near someone who had a 944 when they were new, but used to do his work 100 mile commute in a heap of crap, so only got the Porsche out of the garage at weekends. Always seemed a bit pointless to me...

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #64
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Imagine the S58 in a car that'll be roughly 800 lbs lighter
If Bmw can keep the G80 around 3600-3650 that would be money.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 11:31 AM   #65
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drj161 View Post
My dude here asked the real question here. I know most of bimmerpost guys don't like Joe Achilles, but in his review he had the s58 lacking in 1-3k rpm power. Would like a comparison to the s55.
Why is it that they don't like Joe? His reviews are pretty good and informative.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #66
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

I actually daily my Turbo S . If all you need is room for 2 (back seat is for bags IMHO), then it's a great daily.
Appreciate 2
JTO245276.00
noushy1657.00