BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-07-2021, 12:47 AM   #1
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

BMW Lease Protection (excess wear & tear) - did you get it & is it worth it... ?

I'm sure many of you X3M & X4 M owners got suckered & pressured into getting this additional BMW Lease Protection (excess wear & tear) package during the very last stages of finance. Right before you signed the final papers & just wanted to finally drive the damn car home to begin enjoying... like I did.

Unlike many of you I plan on buying this car after the lease is up. But that really makes no difference, because at the end of the day we all want our money put to good use & not wasted in any way if we can help it.

To make a long story short, instead of the 15, 12, or 10k mile / per year program - I opted for the 7.5 k mile / per year program. Due to Covid I now get to work from home. So I no longer commute weekly & if I do need to someday go back to the office on a weekly basis I already have a nice E90 daily driver that I can rely on for backup at any time.

So my question to you is, do you think it's worth it for a super low mileage X3 M's like mine that lives a very sheltered life, inside a nice garage most of the time... one that gets pampered often, never sits in a parking lot unattended & gets treated with the utmost care... ? Keep mind that I've never lost one of my spare BMW keys, I've never curbed any of my wheels before (have a wholesale account if a replacement wheel was necessary) & last but not least I personally know one of the best PDR (paintless dent removal) professionals in my area.

So this excess wear & tear (BS cost / benefit analysis speel that's well rehearsed) doesn't really apply to me. I treat my cars better then some people treat their kids & the people who know me well know this is a fact. If I lived in a crowded congested city, drove it to work everyday, had to park in cramped parking lots & the streets for hours on end all the time, then I could see maybe benefiting from this. But I don't.

Also, what's the easiest way to get out of this program... ? ("If" this is even possible. I've only had my car for 3 weeks & therefore want to know more details ASAP. Wondering if there's a 90 day opt out clause or something).
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 06:00 AM   #2
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

No, it's not worth it. You can usually call the warranty company directly and cancel. If it's through BMW you may have a harder time. Avoid going through the dealer if possible as they'll put up a fight.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2021, 06:18 AM   #3
Gsavarese
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC

Garage List
I tell the finance guy right off the bat I’m not interested in any of the programs. I try to be diplomatic but it usually cuts about 10 mins off he process. OP probably got a pamphlet for the wear and tear program or if it’s through BMW I’m sure it’s online and should contain info on any opt out.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2021, 06:51 AM   #4
GrandMasterKhan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Evo9, '22 X3Mc, Turbo S2000
Location: BMW Southpoint, Durham NC. Dinan/Carbahn authorized Dealer.

this is actually beneficial. For one, when you are at end of lease, If your tires are worn down, lease protection will pay to install 4 new tires. That in itself is at least $2000 value (roughly including alignment). This will be required for them to certify the car as a CPO so you can get an unlimited mileage warranty on your X3M when you decide to buy it.

for me, i accidentally broke the front lip on my M240i, i lost the tire pump, and it needed 4 tires. Lease protection paid for all of it. Without it, that would have been an out of pocket cost for me just to turn the lease in. Instead I had zero out of pocket cost and got the X3M instead.

So, you have to weigh the cost of the lease protection and figure if its worth it to you.

FYI you should be expecting to put tires on your X3M around 10-15k miles depending on your driving style. So factor that in to your timing.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2021, 07:13 AM   #5
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

I was never offered this on my lease but I wouldn't have purchased it. I've done similar programs in the past and there's a form I filled out through the dealer to cancel and got a pro rata amount refunded
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2021, 07:18 AM   #6
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMasterKhan View Post
this is actually beneficial. For one, when you are at end of lease, If your tires are worn down, lease protection will pay to install 4 new tires. That in itself is at least $2000 value (roughly including alignment). This will be required for them to certify the car as a CPO so you can get an unlimited mileage warranty on your X3M when you decide to buy it.

for me, i accidentally broke the front lip on my M240i, i lost the tire pump, and it needed 4 tires. Lease protection paid for all of it. Without it, that would have been an out of pocket cost for me just to turn the lease in. Instead I had zero out of pocket cost and got the X3M instead.

So, you have to weigh the cost of the lease protection and figure if its worth it to you.

FYI you should be expecting to put tires on your X3M around 10-15k miles depending on your driving style. So factor that in to your timing.
If you're daily driving the car and not doing anything with it, sure this might begin to make some sense. But I can tell from previous posts that Kevin is not that guy. There's no reason to purchase this protection on a garage queen/enthusiast owner who isn't going to let things wear anyway.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2021, 08:48 AM   #7
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Comp BGM / Sahkir

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Quote:

If you're daily driving the car and not doing anything with it, sure this might begin to make some sense. But I can tell from previous posts that Kevin is not that guy. There's no reason to purchase this protection on a garage queen/enthusiast owner who isn't going to let things wear anyway.
"Garage queen"
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2021, 10:52 AM   #8
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beammeupscottie View Post
Quote:
Quote:

"Garage queen"
That's not a knock, mine is treated similarly! It's a method of preservation.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2021, 11:45 AM   #9
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

allinon72 - you hit the nail on the head. You and I both treat out cars like the rare machines they are. Others often just don't understand or get it at first and that's okay.
Appreciate 1
allinon724923.50
      05-07-2021, 12:49 PM   #10
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Comp BGM / Sahkir

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"Garage queen"
That's not a knock, mine is treated similarly! It's a method of preservation.
It's a vehicle meant to be driven to its limits of performance especially if it's an M. I just got a laugh out of your phrase "garage queen" that is hilarious! Hahahhahahah
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2021, 01:09 PM   #11
tm811
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 m4 comp xdrive

I got it for mine. We have a lot of gravel and sand on the roads which means rock chips on the paint and windshield.
Windshield replacement = 3.5kish
4 new tires returning bald at lease end = 2kish
Dings/scratches dents over 3 years of abuse ehm I mean daily driving = variable.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2021, 01:32 PM   #12
2020X3MCDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

I purchased it...I wanted to drive it like I stole it for 3yrs 45K miles and not have much of a worry. I plan to turn it in with tires in need of replacement. I negotiated down the price some for it..
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2021, 05:42 PM   #13
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's a vehicle meant to be driven to its limits of performance especially if it's an M. I just got a laugh out of your phrase "garage queen" that is hilarious! Hahahhahahah
You've mentioned that word here twice now & laughed at it each time. So figured I would reply directly. I realize that & have every intention to drive these cars as they were meant to be driven.

My E39 M5, F87 M2, 04 SVT COBRA, 03 SVT F-150 Ligtning, E36 M3 & highly modified E90 335i were all driven hard. But just because I like to push my right foot into the floorboard often & experience what they can do on the street / occasional track doesn't mean I don't want to protect the paint & preserve this sick machine.

If you saw my cars & the condition they're in you would fully understand why some cars are clean enough to eat off of & have spotless engine bays. While 90% of the others are in just average shape & just traded into the next person who could give a rats ass. Unless you're a car collector like me you'll never fully understand the term used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm811 View Post
I got it for mine. We have a lot of gravel and sand on the roads which means rock chips on the paint and windshield.
Dings/scratches dents over 3 years of abuse ehm I mean daily driving = variable.
3.5k for a windshield is crazy. And PPF + OEM mud flaps would help with those bad roads. Daily driving can do a lot to a car in a short amount of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020X3MCDG View Post
I purchased it...I wanted to drive it like I stole it for 3yrs 45K miles and not have much of a worry. I plan to turn it in with tires in need of replacement. I negotiated down the price some for it..
Driven hard & put away wet are exactly the types of cars I stay far away from when I crack open my wallet. But if you're not concerned with keeping it long term it's much more fun that way. It's all in the mindset I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 08:58 AM   #14
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

If you are a low wear user or will buy at lease end, it's not for you. I think you have to write a letter or something to cancel.

I added it for our M340i but might be turning in early so will have to see if it applies or if I should refund it. I did not add to X3M as I didn't want the added cost and figured 75% chance I buy out at lease end, which is now nearly a 100% chance.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2021, 07:52 AM   #15
grizzy727
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X3m, 20 XC90,18 JLU, 04 911

I was offered this at $200 a month over a 3 yr lease -- yeah i think i could cover the wear n tear for the $7k -- wheels/tires was $100 a month
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 12:05 PM   #16
supershaft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3, Cayenne Turbo

If you plan on leasing bmws then no. I've leased BMWs for near 14 years and never once did I purchase the wear and tear protection. The most I ever paid for a disposition was $750 for some excess damage for a X3
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 05:18 PM   #17
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm811 View Post
Where do you get 3.5k for a windshield?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 05:25 PM   #18
socalhawki
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC Donington & Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
If you plan on leasing bmws then no. I've leased BMWs for near 14 years and never once did I purchase the wear and tear protection. The most I ever paid for a disposition was $750 for some excess damage for a X3
About the same. 12 years of leasing. No excess wear and tear. You won't need it, Kev.

I did get the tire/wheel for the run flats on the X3 M40i and had five tires replaced so it was worth it.
2018 X3 M40i "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2021, 07:43 AM   #19
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

I get it on every lease. Negotiate the price down to where you can't say no. My tires are always pooched come lease end. Perfect for that. Anything more is a bonus on top.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 11:20 PM   #20
kd940
Registered
Rep
Drives: alto maruti

sad for you

If you're daily driving the car and not doing anything with it, sure this might begin to make some sense. But I can tell from previous posts that Kevin is not that guy. There's no reason to purchase this protection on a garage queen/enthusiast owner who isn't going to let things wear anyway. sad dp
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2024, 03:47 PM   #21
moshelby
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Regarding tires, I just returned a lease that needed new tires but i found a set of 4 used OEM tires from utires.com with enough tread to pass the inspection for only $120 total. Just a tip for those out there who didn't purchase the excess wear and tear package and need to return a lease with bald tires.
Appreciate 1