BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-17-2019, 05:19 AM   #23
ep22jg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

Re tyre noise on the concrete M25, my 335d on 18" RFT's was quite loud!
My X3 on 20" RFT's is ridiculously loud!!
At an indicated 75mph, it is loud enough to not hear other people in the car. Dropping down to around 65mph makes a quite a difference.
I put it down to the wider section of the tyres??
      06-17-2019, 01:47 PM   #24
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySport View Post
Collected my new M40d yesterday. What a machine!

Firstly, I have to say I love it! A huge leap forward from the last generation. Quieter, higher quality interior and the next generation technology is fantastic. The engine is a peach. Linear power from low down with a real kick when you put your foot down. It put a huge smile on my face. I know the sound from the engine is artificial, but I don't care. Really deep V8 type grumble. Addictive!

I selected Adaptive Suspension as an option, my previous generation F25 also had it. The ride in the M40 is not as compliant, but this could me down to the M tuned suspension or the 20" wheels. That said, it is still very comfortable and feels more 'dialled-in'. The steering is much weightier and precise. A definite step forward.

Travelled home via the M25 (Highway) in the rain, which was not the start I had imagined. However, it did give me a chance to set up the car while sitting in traffic. What have they done to the wipers? Moving the stalk up to a static position leaves the wipers permanently on. How does this work if I come out to an iced up screen in the morning? Trashed wiper blades??

I also discovered tyre roar on the concrete section of the M25. OMG!!! it's horrendous. I have never heard tyre roar like it. I was stuck in rolling traffic at 60-65mph and the drone that resonated through the car was deafening. Dropped down to 50 and it reduced. I also tried dropping back and speeding up to 70(ish) and it seemed to die off as well, but it was still loud. Is this the tyres, the 20" size? Fortunately I don't have to go over that section of the M25 very often, but I will come across other sections of concreted motorways. It will drive me mad! Driving at 50 to avoid the noise?

Also noticed that the cerium grey mirrors and grill has really marked up with dead flies and bugs. Shouldn't be difficult to clean off, but was surprised how much it shows up. Is there a ceramic protection I can apply to reduce this?

Overall the above sounds like minor niggles, but it has taken some of the 'shine' off. Today is coding day and tomorrow a good clean and an application of a ceramic polish. When it's looking shiny (and when it's stopped raining) I'll add some photos.

Just thought of something, do you have the pano roof? They can let a lot more noise into the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 02:23 PM   #25
MySport
M40d Phytonic Blue
Rep
Drives: M40d

My car doesn’t have a pano roof and the only obvious difference between my new and previous car, is the wheel size. Both had adaptive, both had run-flats and the tyre widths were identical.
It can only be the tyre brand or the M tuned suspension resonating sound into the cabin. I can’t believe that an increase in rim size (19” to 20”) would make much difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 04:19 PM   #26
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySport View Post
My car doesn’t have a pano roof and the only obvious difference between my new and previous car, is the wheel size. Both had adaptive, both had run-flats and the tyre widths were identical.
It can only be the tyre brand or the M tuned suspension resonating sound into the cabin. I can’t believe that an increase in rim size (19” to 20”) would make much difference.
Just be glad you didn’t get the 21s then!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 04:31 PM   #27
MySport
M40d Phytonic Blue
Rep

Finally got the chance to give ‘her’ a clean. Photonic Blue looks great in the sunshine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      06-23-2019, 04:34 PM   #28
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six Convert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 Mini JCW  [10.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Just be glad you didn’t get the 21s then!
Have pano AND 21”s 😂 Wouldn’t have it any other way
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 04:58 PM   #29
MySport
M40d Phytonic Blue
Rep

25,000 pa and an extra £100 per corner. You’re welcome!
Appreciate 0