BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-31-2024, 10:50 PM   #1
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

How much does it cost to install catless downpipe

Hello everyone, I have 2022 x4m. Shop quoted me $1294 to install catless downpipe. Told me it takes 10hrs. Just wonder how much you guys paid and how long did it take?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 06:19 AM   #2
joebie3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 STI - 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2014 Subaru STi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_RS View Post
Hello everyone, I have 2022 x4m. Shop quoted me $1294 to install catless downpipe. Told me it takes 10hrs. Just wonder how much you guys paid and how long did it take?
I saw you post on the FB pages, and I agree with what people said there. I feel like they are quoting island time. Ask them if that's the Kama'aina price LOL.

Seeing that you're on Oahu, did you check with Sykes Automotive?
Appreciate 1
Evan_RS137.00
      02-01-2024, 10:20 AM   #3
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Considering I did mine using a youtube tutorial and it took 3 hours, I'd say they are full of shit.
Appreciate 3
Evan_RS137.00
cutnsew215.00
      02-01-2024, 01:41 PM   #4
Must_Go_FASTER
formerly rdougherty85
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp MBB

Most places look up what BMW service manuals estimate the time to complete the install (using removal of stock to replacement of stock parts) and then take that number and multiply by their hourly fee. The key is whether or not they'll charge you less if it only takes a few hours. Most places I wouldn't trust to only charge the actual labor cost because if you agreed to the estimate, they have you on the hook for that amount.

With a lift by yourself you could probably do it in 2-3 hrs. Jackstands probably add an hour-ish. My high flow catted took me 10 damn hours, but that was because the CTS turbo catted DPs are nearly identical in size to the stock ones, and they have heat shielding on the outside (not smooth). Couldn't install one then the other, had to push them both up there at the same time and really fanagle the shit outta them. There's not a lotta room to get the stock (or similar to stock) sized DPs in and out down there.

Smooth catless DPs would be an absolute breeze though. Try to find a shop nearby that specializes in BMW/European cars and also ask if they'll only charge the actual time spent on labor. Seems like a dick thing to ask, but if they don't get offended, you're probably at the right place... or they're lying to your face.

Also, may I ask what your goal is with the catless? If it's ultimately that you're going to do a lot of upgrades, then yeah, go for it. But if you just want better sound, a mid-pipe is actually the best route.
Appreciate 2
      02-01-2024, 09:02 PM   #5
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebie3 View Post
I saw you post on the FB pages, and I agree with what people said there. I feel like they are quoting island time. Ask them if that's the Kama'aina price LOL.

Seeing that you're on Oahu, did you check with Sykes Automotive?
Yea, moving off this rock soon.

Are you talking about sykes1330 on ig? He was the one who quoted me that price.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 09:03 PM   #6
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
Considering I did mine using a youtube tutorial and it took 3 hours, I'd say they are full of shit.
It is what it is man. I understand everyone need to make money but $1294/ 10 hrs labor just bit too much.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 09:35 PM   #7
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Must_Go_FASTER View Post
Most places look up what BMW service manuals estimate the time to complete the install (using removal of stock to replacement of stock parts) and then take that number and multiply by their hourly fee. The key is whether or not they'll charge you less if it only takes a few hours. Most places I wouldn't trust to only charge the actual labor cost because if you agreed to the estimate, they have you on the hook for that amount.

With a lift by yourself you could probably do it in 2-3 hrs. Jackstands probably add an hour-ish. My high flow catted took me 10 damn hours, but that was because the CTS turbo catted DPs are nearly identical in size to the stock ones, and they have heat shielding on the outside (not smooth). Couldn't install one then the other, had to push them both up there at the same time and really fanagle the shit outta them. There's not a lotta room to get the stock (or similar to stock) sized DPs in and out down there.

Smooth catless DPs would be an absolute breeze though. Try to find a shop nearby that specializes in BMW/European cars and also ask if they'll only charge the actual time spent on labor. Seems like a dick thing to ask, but if they don't get offended, you're probably at the right place... or they're lying to your face.

Also, may I ask what your goal is with the catless? If it's ultimately that you're going to do a lot of upgrades, then yeah, go for it. But if you just want better sound, a mid-pipe is actually the best route.

I called up 2 shops.

1st shop told me 10 hrs / $1294.

2nd, the shop specializes BMW (big sign outside the shop). When I get there, the mechanic ask me what year is my car, told him 2022. He said, that’s a B47 engine right ?” Maybe take to an exhaust shop. I was ready to leave anyway when he said B47 Engine lol.

3rd shop quoted 13 and half hrs labor lol.

Then, called an exhaust shop. The owner was chill/honest. Told me he never worked on a newer bmw but we can figure out. Then I got lucky, a member saw my post and is willing to help me out this weekend.

Goal for now, Downpipe, EL mid pipe, rear differential bolt upgrade. advan gt beyond Wheels. Once I move to Texas in few month, rk intake, kw suspension, csf intake manifold, oil cooler, unlock ECU, Bm3/ f80paul tune. Car is fast enough for me, just want it to handle more better/reliable.

Don’t care much about cosmetics as of now.
Appreciate 1
joebie3307.50
      02-02-2024, 06:17 AM   #8
joebie3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 STI - 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2014 Subaru STi  [5.00]
Quote:
Yea, moving off this rock soon.

Are you talking about sykes1330 on ig? He was the one who quoted me that price.
Unreal, that's insane. He does work for some people I follow on IG. I understand island pricing and all, but that's crazy. For that price it should come with a hug ATLEAST lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 10:45 AM   #9
Must_Go_FASTER
formerly rdougherty85
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp MBB

Quote:
I called up 2 shops.

1st shop told me 10 hrs / $1294.

2nd, the shop specializes BMW (big sign outside the shop). When I get there, the mechanic ask me what year is my car, told him 2022. He said, that’s a B47 engine right ?” Maybe take to an exhaust shop. I was ready to leave anyway when he said B47 Engine lol.

3rd shop quoted 13 and half hrs labor lol.

Then, called an exhaust shop. The owner was chill/honest. Told me he never worked on a newer bmw but we can figure out. Then I got lucky, a member saw my post and is willing to help me out this weekend.

Goal for now, Downpipe, EL mid pipe, rear differential bolt upgrade. advan gt beyond Wheels. Once I move to Texas in few month, rk intake, kw suspension, csf intake manifold, oil cooler, unlock ECU, Bm3/ f80paul tune. Car is fast enough for me, just want it to handle more better/reliable.

Don’t care much about cosmetics as of now.
Glad you found someone to help! You'll be surprised how easy it is, long as you don't run into any weird problems. Getting some of the clips, the O2 sensors, and the V-band clamps are little PITA items but it should be pretty smooth. While I'm thinking about it, definitely take off the passenger side wheel off. Helps with the V-bands so you can go in from the side. Best if you have a long ratchet extension w/swivel head to tighten it from the hole in the wheel well. Little awkward, but it's the easiest access, iirc.

A lotta people say high-flow or catless don't make any difference, but they do, just not nearly as much as other platforms. If you're doing all that, then I'd say the DPs are a good choice. Just remember that doing the DPs first means a CEL until you get tuned. Mine is on but doesn't really bother me, drives some people nuts.
Appreciate 1
Evan_RS137.00
      02-02-2024, 11:45 AM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

~ $400 - $500

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 06:29 PM   #11
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Must_Go_FASTER View Post
Glad you found someone to help! You'll be surprised how easy it is, long as you don't run into any weird problems. Getting some of the clips, the O2 sensors, and the V-band clamps are little PITA items but it should be pretty smooth. While I'm thinking about it, definitely take off the passenger side wheel off. Helps with the V-bands so you can go in from the side. Best if you have a long ratchet extension w/swivel head to tighten it from the hole in the wheel well. Little awkward, but it's the easiest access, iirc.

A lotta people say high-flow or catless don't make any difference, but they do, just not nearly as much as other platforms. If you're doing all that, then I'd say the DPs are a good choice. Just remember that doing the DPs first means a CEL until you get tuned. Mine is on but doesn't really bother me, drives some people nuts.
I appreciate your comment, very helpful.
I seen few dyno video with catless downpipe on g80 m3. It lost power after downpipe install, probably same with x4m since is the same motor. I wonder why.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 06:31 PM   #12
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
~ $400 - $500
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 08:06 PM   #13
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Finished the installation under 3 hrs today.
Appreciate 3
      02-03-2024, 11:24 PM   #14
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Finished the installation under 3 hrs today.
Lol told you, those shops are a rip off.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 02:32 PM   #15
bad430benz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Once I move to Texas in few month
Where are you moving to ?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 11:48 PM   #16
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
Lol told you, those shops are a rip off.
I under business need to make money, but charging extra 7-10 hrs is a bit much.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 11:54 PM   #17
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad430benz View Post
Where are you moving to ?
We are still searching for a house. Haven’t not decided which part of Texas. Hopefully people are friendly, don’t want to deal with racism.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 10:46 AM   #18
bad430benz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
We are still searching for a house. Haven’t not decided which part of Texas. Hopefully people are friendly, don’t want to deal with racism.
It really comes down to what you are looking for in long term life . I think you will find racism no matter where you go but if you decide on some small little town in the middle of nowhere , you risk those things .
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 11:07 AM   #19
lethal_x3mc
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3M Competition

I paid half of that. $600
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 10:06 AM   #20
cutnsew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M

Quote:
I appreciate your comment, very helpful.
I seen few dyno video with catless downpipe on g80 m3. It lost power after downpipe install, probably same with x4m since is the same motor. I wonder why.
Did they just throw on the DPs without a tune and then dyno it? Did it lose power down low but gain up high? I've heard of em shifting the tq & hp curve higher up the rev range, but not completely losing power.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 05:18 PM   #21
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

No more than 3-4 hours. There is plenty of room in there.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 07:37 PM   #22
Sayzar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i GC 2020 X4M Comp

Should only take about 3 hours max if you do it yourself, a shop around 1 1/2
Appreciate 0