BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-04-2019, 02:05 AM   #1
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X3 35i

VRSF 5" FMIC Results

Hey all, I recently had this FMIC installed by my mechanic, would have installed it myself, but he was already doing the full PS2 treatment, so I didn't want to get in the way.

It's (mostly) solid, but he informed me that the pre-made brackets that come with the kit have poorly drilled holes which do not line up. He ended up using a self tapper on one side of one of the brackets, and drilled new holes in the other bracket to make that work. The tabs that fold up to line up with the fan also needed to be completely pushed out of the way.

Anyways, wanted to post a log to show how well this thing fares. The important bit is at the end of the log, sorry for the length: http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5c57e1a7c090c63e26c94940

Ambient was around 48 degrees F IIRC. I took a trip to Mexico to really test it out. Stock tune for now, but I expect similar results even with more power.

Discuss, and let me know if there are questions about this. I'm going to be under the car in the coming weeks and will add pictures of the brackets/fitment.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2019, 05:22 AM   #2
hardparker
Father of Frankenfold
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Definitely interested in pics of poorly fitting brackets.
      02-04-2019, 08:12 AM   #3
TheCoolX3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Garage List
The brackets are horrible quality and are very poorly made. After about an hour of persuasion with various hard tools and demerit words I was able to get the holes to align and screw in. Probably cheaper and easier to buy the intercooler for an F30 and build the brackets yourself.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 08:15 AM   #4
335iAP
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 & F26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoolX3 View Post
The brackets are horrible quality and are very poorly made. After about an hour of persuasion with various hard tools and demerit words I was able to get the holes to align and screw in. Probably cheaper and easier to buy the intercooler for an F30 and build the brackets yourself.
This is what I did, shop said it was a simple job.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 08:16 AM   #5
subieworx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335

Did you take any logs from before the installation of the intercooler? 15* rise at those ambient temps is not good.

I don't like the 5" core at all as it has never really worked well. The 7" is better but still not great.

Also, what are you using for tuning? Getting a lot of throttle closures.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 08:19 AM   #6
TheCoolX3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Garage List
From my understading that is stock tune with upgraded turbos. The DME is probably just freaking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subieworx View Post
Did you take any logs from before the installation of the intercooler? 15* rise at those ambient temps is not good.

I don't like the 5" core at all as it has never really worked well. The 7" is better but still not great.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 08:24 AM   #7
subieworx
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, that could explain it. Looking at the log again it is even more apparent how poorly that intercooler is working as it is rising 15* at only 6 -7 PSI. Increase the boost and that IC is going to be worthless.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:08 AM   #8
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardparker View Post
Definitely interested in pics of poorly fitting brackets.
Will get some shots tomorrow or Wednesday when I replace the lower O2 sensor.

Quote:

Difference over ambient matters less than the rise over the pull. started at 62-ish, ended at 71 at 130mph or so. I don't think that's a slouch by any means. The stock FMIC would be well over 140F by this point (and would have started around 70), but I don't think I have any good logs with a similar long pull on the stock system. If you're not aware of the story here, my turbo died and sent a bunch of oil through the stock intercooler so it's garbage.

This car will only see backroads or High Plains Raceway, so I don't think I'll experience heatsoak even once I add a tune, but I plan to move through the bootmod3 maps slowly (MPPK, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 2H) and provide data to see the difference as power is added.

Overall goal is to get somewhere around 420 whp, but it'll be awhile before I'm there.

Last edited by doodlebro; 02-04-2019 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
subieworx
Lieutenant
Rep

I've worked with these intercoolers multiple times on my dyno while custom tuning and will not sell it any longer to my customers as it just doesn't work. My experience. The 7" core is better but still not great.

Last edited by subieworx; 02-04-2019 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 12:57 PM   #10
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've worked with these intercoolers multiple times on my dyno while custom tuning and will not sell it any longer to my customers as it just doesn't work. My experience. The 7" core is better but still not great.
Do you have an example of a better 5" intercooler with logs? The results I'm seeing are consistent with what FSociety saw on his CTSTurbo FMIC a couple years ago. 9* of rise from 71-132 is incredible.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #11
subieworx
Lieutenant
Rep

Not handy, but I can ask my tuner if he has any left. We stopped selling the 5" core years ago due to issues with it. Been at least 3 years now.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 01:46 PM   #12
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not handy, but I can ask my tuner if he has any left. We stopped selling the 5" core years ago due to issues with it. Been at least 3 years now.
That would explain it... I believe the core I have is their high density fin pack core, which came out somewhere in the last 1-2 years. I'd encourage you to do a bit more research as the old intercooler was crap, but these new ones are fine and perform just like every other 5" bolt on.

EditL Also, my BMS intake is going to have a higher cruising temperature than the stock airbox since it's not sealed and receiving cold air from the RAM. So that also explains the high starting temperature compared to ambient.

Last edited by doodlebro; 02-06-2019 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 04:30 PM   #13
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Firstly, we don't offer a 7" FMIC for the F chassis. You're confusing the E chassis with the F chassis. Secondly, we've redesigned the internal and external fin pack significantly since the initial release of our intercooler. I'm sorry if you didn't have a great experience with our old E chassis 5" (has been redesigned since) but we have dozens of reviews available with logs that prove it's the best performing intercooler available. This is the same fin pack we use on Motiv's record holding 1100whp shop car as well as the fastest N54 in the world. Please refrain from spreading mis-information about our products.

Now lets get down to the facts. The OP just proved this is one of the best performing intercoolers available with these logs. Throughout two of the tallest and longest gears (5th through 6th gear), the intake temps only rose 8 degrees. The intake temps actually drop 6 degrees closer towards ambient through 5th gear. You won't find an intercooler this size (AA, CTS, BMS) that will perform as well as our 5" HD.

Here's a different view of the same log the OP posted that proves how well this intercooler performs. The logs speak for themselves.

With that said, the brackets are new and we've been recently made aware that the holes need to be slightly enlarged in order to aid fitment. We're having every bracket modified as we speak in order to ensure an easier install.

Last edited by Tiago@VRSF; 02-06-2019 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 06:05 PM   #14
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Firstly, we don't offer a 7" FMIC for the F chassis. You're confusing the E chassis with the F chassis. Secondly, we've redesigned the internal and external fin pack significantly since the initial release of our intercooler. I'm sorry if you didn't have a great experience with our old E chassis 5" (has been redesigned since) but we have dozens of reviews available with logs that prove it's the best performing intercooler available. This is the same fin pack we use on Motiv's record holding 1100whp shop car as well as the fastest N54 in the world. Please refrain from spreading mis-information about our products.

Now lets get down to the facts. The OP just proved this is one of the best performing intercoolers available with these logs. Throughout two of the tallest and longest gears (5th through 6th gear), the intake temps only rose 8 degrees. The intake temps actually drop 6 degrees closer towards ambient through 5th gear. You won't find an intercooler this size (AA, CTS, BMS) that will perform as well as our 5" HD.

Here's a different view of the same log the OP posted that proves how well this intercooler performs. The logs speak for themselves.

With that said, the brackets are new and we've been recently made aware that the holes need to be slightly enlarged in order to aid fitment. We're having every bracket modified as we speak in order to ensure an easier install.
Thanks for the updates to the brackets Tiago. I'll keep adding to this thread as I move up the tune hierarchy and you'll have a lot of great data to help sell these things!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #15
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

hardparker: Super late, but finally got a thermostat and coolant hose replaced to get these pictures of the bracket weirdness: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dXdF1KuihDi4TGQb8

First video shows how my mechanic thought it was okay to install it... That's a self tapper which backed itself out over the 3 weeks I had been driving the car.

I found some slightly larger bolts with lock nuts and a much larger washer, that holds it up nicely now.

Tiago@VRSF: Wondering if we can do an exchange on this when you guys get a better fitting intercooler in. I plan to keep this car for a very long time and having a more robust mounting setup is preferred to checking under my car weekly.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 02:22 AM   #16
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebro View Post
hardparker: Super late, but finally got a thermostat and coolant hose replaced to get these pictures of the bracket weirdness: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dXdF1KuihDi4TGQb8

First video shows how my mechanic thought it was okay to install it... That's a self tapper which backed itself out over the 3 weeks I had been driving the car.

I found some slightly larger bolts with lock nuts and a much larger washer, that holds it up nicely now.

Tiago@VRSF: Wondering if we can do an exchange on this when you guys get a better fitting intercooler in. I plan to keep this car for a very long time and having a more robust mounting setup is preferred to checking under my car weekly.
The current bracket will absolutely secure your intercooler without issue but we'll be more than happy to shoot over an updated bracket as soon as they're available!

I can ensure the existing bracket will outlast the life of your car and we offer a lifetime guarantee on all properly installed VRSF items so you have nothing to fear
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 08:00 AM   #17
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Hey all, I recently had this FMIC installed by my mechanic, would have installed it myself, but he was already doing the full PS2 treatment, so I didn't want to get in the way.

It's (mostly) solid, but he informed me that the pre-made brackets that come with the kit have poorly drilled holes which do not line up. He ended up using a self tapper on one side of one of the brackets, and drilled new holes in the other bracket to make that work. The tabs that fold up to line up with the fan also needed to be completely pushed out of the way.

Anyways, wanted to post a log to show how well this thing fares. The important bit is at the end of the log, sorry for the length: http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5c57e1a7c090c63e26c94940

Ambient was around 48 degrees F IIRC. I took a trip to Mexico to really test it out. Stock tune for now, but I expect similar results even with more power.

Discuss, and let me know if there are questions about this. I'm going to be under the car in the coming weeks and will add pictures of the brackets/fitment.
Which specific intercooler are you using that is designed to fit the F25 X3 N55?

https://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-interc...i-n20-n55.html

The one above?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #18
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
The current bracket will absolutely secure your intercooler without issue but we'll be more than happy to shoot over an updated bracket as soon as they're available!

I can ensure the existing bracket will outlast the life of your car and we offer a lifetime guarantee on all properly installed VRSF items so you have nothing to fear
Thanks, appreciate you working with me and looking forward to getting the new brackets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Which specific intercooler are you using that is designed to fit the F25 X3 N55?

The one above?
Yep, that's what I ordered. Direct from VRSF.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 11:25 AM   #19
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here's a log at lower speeds on bootmod3's Stage 1 ACN 91 tune: http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5c7766c2c090c65cf850572c

Hilariously, this PS2 is producing more power on this tune than the stock turbo was on Stage 2. Pretty incredible. I'm still impressed by the intercooler as it's keeping temps below 100 degrees no matter what. Should have more power in the coming weeks to really put it to the test and provide some more data.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #20
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Quote:

The one above?
Actually, I think this is the one made for the F25: https://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-5-stre...5-f26-n55.html
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:04 PM   #21
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaX View Post
Actually, I think this is the one made for the F25: https://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-5-stre...5-f26-n55.html
You're right, I misread the link. I'm pretty sure it's the exact same intercooler, just with added brackets to use F25's mounting holes.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 09:20 PM   #22
hardparker
Father of Frankenfold
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:

Are those the VRSF brackets, or something your mechanic fabbed up? They look awful and I don't think they can be made to work properly at all.

Here's my second take on brackets for my F25. Note how there's significant offset from the two factory mounting holes to the mounting posts for the IC. Also, they're not symmetrical because they shouldn't be to get a proper fitment. The offset for the left and right bracket differ. Measure all the stock parts for fitment and you'll see what I mean.

I'm pretty happy with them. They're super solid and simple and locate the intercooler perfectly. Plus, they cost $5 in hardware store parts and took less than half an hour to fab up. They may not be pretty, but they're perfectly functional.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/m2kMgTVPCTAexVGY9
Attached Images