BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-06-2018, 12:37 PM   #1
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
m40i check engine light

Last friday - I started my M40i late in the day. seemed to start a little funny - then the check engine light came on and stayed on. i drove one errand, then took it to dealer service center before closing time. Drive to errand and then to dealer light was one. turned off car when I got there, restarted it, went off

they found a code, I am cutting/pasting from pdf of service invoice:

CUSTOMER STATES CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS COMING ON
HUD: FAULT IN COMMUNICATION. SIB62 17 17
HOOKUP BATTERY CHARGER. SHORT TEST. FAULT CODE STORED NOT
EXISTINT B76E3 HUD FULT IN COMMUNICATION HUD DOES NOT
RESOPND. REFER TO SIB 63 17 17, FAULT IS IN INSTURMENT
CLUSTER FAULT MEMORY. CAUSE IS SOFTWERE ERROR IN CURRENT
I LEVEL SOFTWERE. NO I LEVEL SOFTWERE UPDATE AVALIBLE.
SOFTWERE IS UP TO DATE AND CURRENT. CORRECTION PER SIB IS
TO IGNORE FAULT AND CLEAR FAULT DATA IS THERE IS NO CUSTOMER
COMPLAINT OD HUD OPERATION. CLEAR ALL FAULT MEMORY.
NO REPAIRS MADE AT THIS TIME

Went to pick up car today, started it, sitting in 30 seconds, and the light came back on, so I never left. Back in the X5 loaner while the figure this out.

Any thoughts?

its not a lose gas cap, I checked that first. Besides I had driver 200+ miles since fuel, was almost time to get gas again.

Thanks

Greg
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 12:40 PM   #2
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I should also add there is no errors, warnings or alerts on vehicle status check in iDrive. just a light on the dashboard.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 01:03 PM   #3
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
And no issues with your head up display?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 01:59 PM   #4
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
And no issues with your head up display?
not that i can tell. I was wondering when I saw that if maybe it was off when the light came on and I didn't notice because I'm not really used to it - but today when it came back on at the dealer, the HUD was on - I looked.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2018, 05:50 PM   #5
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I got my X3 back yesterday and have driven over 200 miles without an issue. The had to do a software update. Service Invoice repoort:

VEHICLE NOT PROGRAMMED TO HIGHEST INTEGRATION LEVEL
HOOKUP BATTERY CHARGER. SHORT TEST. CHECK ENGINE IS PRESENT.
FAULT CODE EXISTINT 13070B VANOS SOLENOID VALUE, INLET: NOT
CONTROLLABLE DURING SOLD START. TEST MODULE IMMEDIATELY
INSTRUCTS TO PROGRAM THE VEHICLE WITH ISTA TO INTEGRATION
LEVEL 18-03-500 OR A HIGHER VERSION. CURRENT INTEGRATION
LEVEL IS 17-11-541. HOOKUP DATA CONNECTION CABLE TO ICOM.
PREPAIR FOR SOFTWERE UPDATE / PROGRAMMING. DETERMINE ACTION
PLAN. EXECUTE ACTION PLAN. PROGRAM VEHICLE TO TARGET LEVEL
SOFTWERE. COMPLETE PROGRAMMING. CLEAR FAULT MEMORY. ROAD
TEST. RE-CONNECT BATTERY CHARGER. SHORT TEST. NO FAULTS
RETURN. VERIFY REPAIRS

will keep an eye on it, but ok for now. Posting here in case anyone else has this. Mine was build mid march 2018 - perhaps 1-2 weeks before the badge shift to its new lower spot.
Appreciate 2
      08-23-2018, 10:58 AM   #6
meanmusic
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Competition

I had my X3 M40i at the dealer to look at a Passenger Restraint System malfunction (turned out the sensor was triggered and was reset. No actual defects found) and this software update was listed for my car. I suspect all X3s will be updated in they are on an older version.

Anyone else have issues with AC running out of refrigerant? AC wasn't cold as usual and it turned out it needed refrigerant. No leaks found. Dealer thinks not enough was loaded at the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2step View Post
I got my X3 back yesterday and have driven over 200 miles without an issue. The had to do a software update. Service Invoice repoort:

VEHICLE NOT PROGRAMMED TO HIGHEST INTEGRATION LEVEL
HOOKUP BATTERY CHARGER. SHORT TEST. CHECK ENGINE IS PRESENT.
FAULT CODE EXISTINT 13070B VANOS SOLENOID VALUE, INLET: NOT
CONTROLLABLE DURING SOLD START. TEST MODULE IMMEDIATELY
INSTRUCTS TO PROGRAM THE VEHICLE WITH ISTA TO INTEGRATION
LEVEL 18-03-500 OR A HIGHER VERSION. CURRENT INTEGRATION
LEVEL IS 17-11-541. HOOKUP DATA CONNECTION CABLE TO ICOM.
PREPAIR FOR SOFTWERE UPDATE / PROGRAMMING. DETERMINE ACTION
PLAN. EXECUTE ACTION PLAN. PROGRAM VEHICLE TO TARGET LEVEL
SOFTWERE. COMPLETE PROGRAMMING. CLEAR FAULT MEMORY. ROAD
TEST. RE-CONNECT BATTERY CHARGER. SHORT TEST. NO FAULTS
RETURN. VERIFY REPAIRS

will keep an eye on it, but ok for now. Posting here in case anyone else has this. Mine was build mid march 2018 - perhaps 1-2 weeks before the badge shift to its new lower spot.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 08:45 PM   #7
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I have had the Passenger Restraint message come up several times. It disappears faster than my wife can get her phone out to take a picture. Nothing shows when I do a check control. My scan tool is too basic to get much from an F or G chassis. Going in on November 1 for a reprogram recall. Hopefully the code will still be stored in history. It only happens when I have a passenger so it may be the passenger sensor.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 08:05 AM   #8
Alexm007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3, 09 E70,07 E92 335i

I have a 2019 G01 X3 (4200mi) and I have a similar issue at the moment. Upon startup this morning, I got a CEL, no other alerts or issues, and full system check in iDrive revealed all systems OK, not a single error. Engine coolant indicator never reached operating temp, just stayed pegged on cold. After a 45 minute commute (42 degrees F outdoor temp), still showing fully cold coolant temp. (Cranked passenger heat to max, and got hot air. Confirming that temp gage is wrong?) Once I reached my destination I shut off the car, and restarted it, this time, the coolant temp shows maximum (fully in red). Still no complaints by the car within iDrive, all systems check out OK. The entire problem seems isolated to the digital instrument cluster. I popped the hood and felt around, no excessive heat, nothing unusual. Strange that the coolant temperature needle went from fully cold (blue) to fully hot (red) in the 5 seconds that it took me to shut off the car and restart it. This sounds like software/electronics to me more than a mechanical component failure like a thermostat or water pump. Will keep the board updated.

Current: 2019 G01 X3
Before that: 2009 e70 X5
Before that: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe - ZSP
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 05:45 PM   #9
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
update - i started this thread 4 months ago when this happened - After the software update I had no issues for 3 months. It happened once on a road trip in October, cleared after a few stops and a few miles later that day. And again in November once after a car wash, it also cleared later that day. If it stayed on longer I was going to drop by my service center, but it cleared and didn't happen again since November 8.

Today I went in for routine service (Oil change, tires rotated). I mentioned it to the service advisor, they pulled the codes and report:

C/S THE LIGHT COMES ON RANDOMLY.
UPPER RADIATOR SHUTTER INOP.

My CA said this is a moving part in the grille - part of the Active Louver system I guess.

and:
PART BACK ORDER,AVAILABLE END OF JAN,30,2019.

fortunately it hasn't been a major issue, only happened 3 times and hasn't caused a bigger issue so I picked the X3 up and will bring it back when they get the part in next month.

Greg
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 04:37 PM   #10
Beeming CalGal
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW BMW x3

Dear greg2step,

I, too, am having a problem with my "check engine light".. I have brought it into my mechanice several times — he cannot find the issue.. so he has meticulously cleaned the engine, and done some other 'preventative things'.

BUT it has been bigtime worrying me(!!), so I thought I would check this board (which is always helpful — thank you xBimmers.com!!)

Your posts Greg have sparked a thought: I seem to replace lightbulbs constantly in my x3.. r. blinker, then left low beam headlight, then another - another - another.. it's maddening, because every 3-4 weeks gotta replace a burnt-out/dead bulb. I've now been going to O'Reillys to replace becasue they kindly replace for $0 if buy there.

Well, recently .. one of the Autozone guys didn't put the screws back in.. I tried to buy new screws at Autozone (+ O'Reillys) once a friend looked at and noticed they were gone and the headlight was loose - bouncing around a little. So I went to Lowes and bought some spares..

But Autozone won't screw in -- won't do anything with a product not bought from them, and I can't do it.. so haven't yet put them in -- figured I would ask next time the replace another front right (pax) side bulb..

But now thinking I'll go ask my mechanic.. he'll probably be happy if this is the 'cause' of that *Check Engine Light* — plus then he can turn it off!

Not sure if this will be the fix, but thanks for the suggestion that it might be.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 05:36 PM   #11
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

I wouldn’t worry about it... Penny’s car, in The Big Bang Theory, always had the check engine light on, and it was fine!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 10:51 PM   #12
DW_x3m40i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2step View Post
update - i started this thread 4 months ago when this happened - After the software update I had no issues for 3 months. It happened once on a road trip in October, cleared after a few stops and a few miles later that day. And again in November once after a car wash, it also cleared later that day. If it stayed on longer I was going to drop by my service center, but it cleared and didn't happen again since November 8.

Today I went in for routine service (Oil change, tires rotated). I mentioned it to the service advisor, they pulled the codes and report:

C/S THE LIGHT COMES ON RANDOMLY.
UPPER RADIATOR SHUTTER INOP.

My CA said this is a moving part in the grille - part of the Active Louver system I guess.

and:
PART BACK ORDER,AVAILABLE END OF JAN,30,2019.

fortunately it hasn't been a major issue, only happened 3 times and hasn't caused a bigger issue so I picked the X3 up and will bring it back when they get the part in next month.

Greg
I just had the same issue come up. Also an early 2018 build with badges on top. Have you got your car fixed or anyone else have this problem come up?

I got my car back today after a night in the shop. They say it's a defect with the radiator flap not opening and closing properly. Part is backordered in Germany and I'd be contacted when it becomes available for repair. Issue doesn't impact drivability so they cleared the error code and return the car back to me. Wondering how long it's gonna take for the part now....

On the plus side, I did get the new 330i as a loaner with all the m performance parts. Pretty nice car overall. I definitely missed out on the m performance steering wheel with my 2018 build. Also liking the new iDrive - lots of information on the screen with better graphics that takes some getting use to but can appreciate the details and upgrade. Performance is not bad so I'd be curious to see how that m340i drives when it comes out.

All that said though, I still prefer the x3m40i. It's the best of both worlds in terms of utility and performance. Can't wait to drive the x3M. Could be trouble...
Appreciate 0