BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-05-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
loudxpack
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: f80 ZCP, x3mc

Plug n Play Xenon?

I'm curious if the f25 headlight assembly is interchangeable from halogen (current) to xenon

Would something like this be plug and play? Or, would wiring etc be needed?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-2016-2...QAAOSw0VBc1J0S

Replies are appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 09:25 PM   #2
x3sm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudxpack View Post
I'm curious if the f25 headlight assembly is interchangeable from halogen (current) to xenon

Would something like this be plug and play? Or, would wiring etc be needed?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-2016-2...QAAOSw0VBc1J0S

Replies are appreciated
That headlight is empty. You would need the control module and the xenon ballast. Also you'll need to run extra wires for the to function to full potential. Your high beams wont work either and angel eyes wont work. Low-beam will work and turn signals will work.
AUDI S4: SOLD
BMW E92 335: SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 12:58 AM   #3
Duonghoa310
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi Q5

Yeah ! I was install xenon headlight on my 2017 model , it's work perfect fine. Do any one know how to get angel light work ? I don't need high beam. So far on decode said it is have light package so I believe don't really need to change a footwell module . Any one know it please help
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 06:25 AM   #4
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
check idrive settings, it might be checked off. OR you will need to code few items for car to recognize new headlights installed.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 02:26 PM   #5
Ejryan10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 XDrive28i

Does anyone have any recommendations for upgrades to my halogen lights that doesn't require retrofitting anything, purchasing any extra equipment to prevent flickering, or requires me to code? I know Phillips makes some bright white halogen lights, I believe they're called Crystal Vision, and I've seen a few LED conversion kits that claim that don't need any coding or anything. Just wondering if anyone has upgraded their halogens that doesn't require too much effort, lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 07:23 PM   #6
airbagit13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejryan10 View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for upgrades to my halogen lights that doesn't require retrofitting anything, purchasing any extra equipment to prevent flickering, or requires me to code? I know Phillips makes some bright white halogen lights, I believe they're called Crystal Vision, and I've seen a few LED conversion kits that claim that don't need any coding or anything. Just wondering if anyone has upgraded their halogens that doesn't require too much effort, lol.
Curious on this myself. I hate my head lights.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 05:26 AM   #7
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

Basically any halogen system is going to stay halogen without major modifications. Most vendors have good/better/best options. Here's the basics for selection criteria as to what is right for you.

1. Stay away from blue tinted bulbs. Here's a couple of articles on that. https://www.danielsternlighting.com/...blue/blue.html
2. Brighter lighting is achieved by the amount of xenon gas in the halogen capsule among other things. Don't confuse this with HID lamps that also use xenon gas. (This is why I don't call HIDs xenon lamps.)
3. Brighter lights mean shorter lifetime. Vendor "best" lights have very short lives and cost significantly more. I generally go with "better" to balance cost vs performance.

An additional tech article on "superwhites" https://www.danielsternlighting.com/...uperwhite.html
Appreciate 1
pungo877.00
      07-01-2019, 06:55 AM   #8
Ejryan10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
Basically any halogen system is going to stay halogen without major modifications. Most vendors have good/better/best options. Here's the basics for selection criteria as to what is right for you.

1. Stay away from blue tinted bulbs. Here's a couple of articles on that. https://www.danielsternlighting.com/...blue/blue.html
2. Brighter lighting is achieved by the amount of xenon gas in the halogen capsule among other things. Don't confuse this with HID lamps that also use xenon gas. (This is why I don't call HIDs xenon lamps.)
3. Brighter lights mean shorter lifetime. Vendor "best" lights have very short lives and cost significantly more. I generally go with "better" to balance cost vs performance.

An additional tech article on "superwhites" https://www.danielsternlighting.com/...uperwhite.html
Any recommendations or advice on LED conversion kits?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 05:08 AM   #9
tomaslam
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
That headlight is empty. You would need the control module and the xenon ballast. Also you'll need to run extra wires for the to function to full potential. Your high beams wont work either and angel eyes wont work. Low-beam will work and turn signals will work.
Did you finish your upgrade to LCI? Changing light modul is necessary or not?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 07:51 AM   #10
Iowa X3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Quote:
LED's from OPT7. They come with the anti-flicker unit that just plugs in in-line with the factory headlight plug, then into the LED unit. They're about $100 each, I think. Been a couple years since I got them.

Check out my pics in this thread:

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1501670

Edit: I see you also don't want to code. These will still work without coding, it'll just pop a warning on your dash saying there is a malfunction with your low beams. It's annoying, but doesn't stop them from working. I used Carly to disable the bulb resistance checks.

Last edited by Iowa X3; 07-06-2019 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 10:13 AM   #11
Ejryan10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa X3 View Post
Quote:
LED's from OPT7. They come with the anti-flicker unit that just plugs in in-line with the factory headlight plug, then into the LED unit. They're about $100 each, I think. Been a couple years since I got them.

Check out my pics in this thread:

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1501670

Edit: I see you also don't want to code. These will still work without coding, it'll just pop a warning on your dash saying there is a malfunction with your low beams. It's annoying, but doesn't stop them from working. I used Carly to disable the bulb resistance checks.
This sounds perfect, I could deal with the warnings and all for a little while until I figured out how to do the whole coding thing. Do you remember the exact model you purchased from OPT7?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #12
ejw2011
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 F25 35i, x1 F48 28i

Those that have anti flicker is just built-in resistors. But be warn they will run hotter. Best thing to do is code the LED bulbs, thus cooler running temperature.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 11:57 AM   #13
Ejryan10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw2011 View Post
Those that have anti flicker is just built-in resistors. But be warn they will run hotter. Best thing to do is code the LED bulbs, thus cooler running temperature.
For someone who has never coded a thing in his life, how hard is it to do?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 12:02 PM   #14
Iowa X3
Private
Rep

Quote:
This sounds perfect, I could deal with the warnings and all for a little while until I figured out how to do the whole coding thing. Do you remember the exact model you purchased from OPT7?
Here's exactly what I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would highly recommend getting LED's for your parking/DRL's as well, so the color and brightness of them will match your LED headlights. You can see the difference in them in that thread I linked to earlier.

BTW, be wary of the reviews on Amazon. People are using these in many different makes and models of cars and trucks and some of them probably aren't reacting very well to their vehicles. I can tell you I've never had an issue with them in almost 3 years of running them in my X3. I even went ahead and bought the high beam LED's from them so they match (they're the same H7's).
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 12:52 PM   #15
ejw2011
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 F25 35i, x1 F48 28i

Quote:
It depends which coding tool method you use.

E-sys is a free tool but not the easiest for a beginner or novice because if you don't have experience you can create havoc to your vehicle's ecu.

Bimmercode and carly for bmw are the easiest because they provide graphical user interfaces to code your car but also have additional features to expand hidden features for your car. If you can navigate windows or apple's ios then you're be okay.

I suggest bimmercode app but will cost you to purchase the app and a wifi/bluetooth obd dongle. Cost is about $50-$60 for both, depending if you're getting android or ios version. Carly app changed their cost to subscription rates and now charges annually. Of course you need a android or apple device (phone or tablet).

You can get better led bulbs without the additional cost for those anti-flicker canbus units they charge. The point is coding is the best way to add led, add additional features to your car, etc...

When you're serious and want to code, shoot me a Private Message and will provide guidance after you buy the app and dongle. Its easy to use and you'll be happy on your purchase.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 07:35 AM   #16
Ejryan10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw2011 View Post
Quote:
It depends which coding tool method you use.

E-sys is a free tool but not the easiest for a beginner or novice because if you don't have experience you can create havoc to your vehicle's ecu.

Bimmercode and carly for bmw are the easiest because they provide graphical user interfaces to code your car but also have additional features to expand hidden features for your car. If you can navigate windows or apple's ios then you're be okay.

I suggest bimmercode app but will cost you to purchase the app and a wifi/bluetooth obd dongle. Cost is about $50-$60 for both, depending if you're getting android or ios version. Carly app changed their cost to subscription rates and now charges annually. Of course you need a android or apple device (phone or tablet).

You can get better led bulbs without the additional cost for those anti-flicker canbus units they charge. The point is coding is the best way to add led, add additional features to your car, etc...

When you're serious and want to code, shoot me a Private Message and will provide guidance after you buy the app and dongle. Its easy to use and you'll be happy on your purchase.
I'll definitely message you when I finally decide to purchase everything, thanks a ton for your help!! Can't wait to get this project started eventually. I love my X3, but I despise those halogen headlights. I've always known BMW (or any German luxury brand for that matter) nickled and dimed you, but I thought the xenon headlights were an automatic with BMW. Oops, lol. Just kills me that my precious car, VW GTI Autobahn had xenons, but not my X3 that cost nearly twice as much. Live and learn I guess.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 07:37 AM   #17
Ejryan10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa X3 View Post
Quote:
Here's exactly what I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1

Would highly recommend getting LED's for your parking/DRL's as well, so the color and brightness of them will match your LED headlights. You can see the difference in them in that thread I linked to earlier.

BTW, be wary of the reviews on Amazon. People are using these in many different makes and models of cars and trucks and some of them probably aren't reacting very well to their vehicles. I can tell you I've never had an issue with them in almost 3 years of running them in my X3. I even went ahead and bought the high beam LED's from them so they match (they're the same H7's).
Thank you for the link and all your help. I absolutely love the look of the LEDs in your pics. I cannot wait to start making the changes soon! It looks like in that Amazon link you posted, that they come in sets of two now? I really hope that's the case, or I'm gonna have a hard time convincing my wife of making the switch at 75 a bulb, lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 11:22 AM   #18
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Curious how these LEDs work out for you. In general, aftermarket drop in LEDs have less throw than Halogen which can make a difference as speed increases. Also, the glare to oncoming traffic can be a bit harsh, you'll know if you get flashed allot.

I recommend to only install it on one side then go for a drive to compare the difference. Excessive foreground light might seem good since you can see things close in front of you but you loose distance vision.

These LEDs keep getting better so I'm curious how they are working for people with regard to usable light on the road without blinding oncoming traffic?

Last edited by pungo; 07-07-2019 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 12:22 PM   #19
Iowa X3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the link and all your help. I absolutely love the look of the LEDs in your pics. I cannot wait to start making the changes soon! It looks like in that Amazon link you posted, that they come in sets of two now? I really hope that's the case, or I'm gonna have a hard time convincing my wife of making the switch at 75 a bulb, lol.
Yeah, you're right, I mis-spoke earlier. They're sold in pairs....so a pair for $80 isn't bad at all, IMO.
Appreciate 0