BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
Jeepersjoey
Stay Tuned!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 m40i

Wanted: someone to learn ESYS with me!

I've got two OBD widgets, an ESYS Ethernet adapter, and a dedicated laptop that I bought to work on ESYS. And a degree in computers!

I am pretty proficient in Bimmercode, having found several cool things in the Expert mode. I posted on how to keep fogs on with the high beams. Also, I have translated all of the ECU codes that GuGin (thanks again!!) posted.

We would be in pretty good shape to have everything we need.

I have a 2018 X3 M40i with JB air intake and JB4 piggyback box.

I gave ESYS a half-hearted try. But after jumping through all the hoops to get the stupid token, lost interest when I did everything I thought I was supposed to do and then had troubles. Rather, let's say life got in the way!

So...who is in the Denver area that wants to reprogram their BMW with me? I say we set our sights HIGH and figure out all the anti-dazzle steps required!

Paul

Last edited by Jeepersjoey; 04-12-2020 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
Alias1431799.50
      08-25-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
foglem
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i; Porsche Macan

I’m in the Denver area up north, 120th and Chambers area. Interested, but unsure how much time I have as my wife and kids soak up most of it!

That said, I’m pretty good at technical challenges.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #3
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

You can get E-Sys Launcher Pro 2.8.2 for free until April 2020.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 12:07 PM   #4
Jeepersjoey
Stay Tuned!
United_States
Rep

Still looking!

Anyone have time and want to take on this task with me?

Paul
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 06:37 PM   #5
djrobx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 m40i Flamenco Red

If you understand bimmercode expert mode, you should be able to work through E-sys following a few guides that tend to be in stickies. It just requires a lot more patience.

The real question is, what is it that you're trying to do, that you cannot do with bimmercode?

Because no one has made the anti-dazzle codes public, coding it requires you study the differences between European and US coding. (You can generate both and compare with the Coding Verification option). The relevant changes are mostly in the FLM (222D) x 2 and BDC_BODY (1DF8), and KAFAS4 (2089). Once you save the FA and save the SVT from your car, you can do most of this work of off-line and upload it to the car later.

Merging the US and European settings in the two headlamp modules in particular requires a lot (200+) of individual adjustments (probably significantly less if you start from the Europe coding and back-port the changes to get the lamp configuration and side-marker lights back on).

I understand it well enough to say I'm confident in my approach. I've compared my attempt with a correctly working 2018 G01. But, I believe my 2019 G02 has missing hardware or some other issue that makes anti-dazzle not perform as it should. I sometimes notice some glare going into the rear window of the car ahead of me (most noticeable if the car is white). I don't see the sharp vertical cutoff for the tunnel as seen in many NGHB videos.

There are a few others that have tried, even from professional coders, and ended up with an unsatisfactory result. It's easy to be fooled into thinking it's working correctly since the headlights are bobbing and trying to execute the moves. I've never even been flashed by anyone, but I've seen it work correctly on another car, so I know what I have isn't right.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 10:55 AM   #6
Jeepersjoey
Stay Tuned!
United_States
Rep

How about another method.

Since everyone is now an expert in Zoom and Skype...Anyone want to sit in a video meeting with me to show me what I am doing wrong?

I have:
E-Sys Launcher Premium Rearm
Esys_3.27.1.rar
EsysLauncherPremiumSetuo_2.8.2_Build_155
v4.15.31_PSdZData_Lite.rar

Installed on my laptop with Windows-10.

I think this may help me move forward on this stuck task.

Anyone?
Paul
Appreciate 0