BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-23-2018, 05:30 PM   #1
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Things you've discovered about your G01

One of the things I like most about high-spec BMWs is that you don't (can't, really) learn everything the car can do -- either on the road or with its tech -- all at once.

These cars are really the gift-that-keeps-on-allowing-discovery. I love finding something "new" the car can do I didn't know about before.

So, let's start a thread with everything you've learned that isn't obvious or that you noticed in the Owner's Manual when you were looking for something else.

Here are three recent "discoveries" I especially like.
  • To shift instantly to the lowest possible gear, press and hold the left shift paddle.
  • To shift back into automatic mode in any driver experience mode and/or if you've engaged manual mode by causing a shift with the gear selector in sport, press and hold the right shift paddle.
  • To shift back into automatic mode in any driver experience mode and/or if you've engaged manual mode by causing a shift with the gear selector in sport, press the right shift paddle and then quickly press the left paddle; release both paddles.
  • With SiriusXM radios, when selecting a music station press "Option" on the iDrive controller, then select "Add to Smart Favorites." When you switch to that station, whatever song is playing will start from the beginning. There are a maximum of six such stations you can add.

Please share your discoveries.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22

Last edited by Yobyot; 11-23-2018 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 19
      11-24-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
Jeepersjoey
Stay Tuned!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 m40i

My discoveries is that I cannot figure out how to do things that seem easy.

1. Can't remove individual songs from your Stored Music
2. Can't get to the list when you check Favorites for your songs in Stored Music.
3. If you put songs into a playlist, how do you then access them?
ting:
4. Because of the weird keep everything on...it is VERY difficult to figure out which fuse is ignition dependent.
5. Tire pressure is supposed to be checked cold. Then, why do you need to drive for 20 minutes or so before the pressure reset works?
6. If you put the right amount of pressure in the tires, but the TPS or system provides a different number, you cannot change it to say "NO...I am right. Now use this as the standard"
7. The back window is not acoustic glass based on people in the back seat saying that they hear the car behind but not when it drives past the car.
8. The adaptive LED lights move (slightly) with the direction of the car.
9. There are cornering lights that turn on when moving slowly and going around a corner.
10. Mudflaps fit well enough that no one would know that they are a 99%, not 100% perfect fit.
11. 18" rims will fit the m40i
12. Press the sunroof twice and the shade will open and the sunroof will as well.
13. Freewheeling in ECO is a fun game that pisses off the people behind you who think "Why do people in super-cars always drive slow?" Ha!
14. A new windshield is $1620 and the PARTS (!) for an oil change are $100.

That is about all I can think of!
Paul
Appreciate 4
      11-24-2018, 08:29 AM   #3
HoustonEaDo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
If you unbuckle your seatbelt while going under 13-15mph, it won't bong...if you speed up to 15mph, it starts bonging
Appreciate 2
zaitcev22.00
      11-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #4
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Subscribed
Appreciate 3
meds1976108.50
JoshV14.50
      11-24-2018, 11:17 AM   #5
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepersjoey View Post
My discoveries is that I cannot figure out how to do things that seem easy.

1. Can't remove individual songs from your Stored Music
2. Can't get to the list when you check Favorites for your songs in Stored Music.
3. If you put songs into a playlist, how do you then access them?
ting:
4. Because of the weird keep everything on...it is VERY difficult to figure out which fuse is ignition dependent.
5. Tire pressure is supposed to be checked cold. Then, why do you need to drive for 20 minutes or so before the pressure reset works?
6. If you put the right amount of pressure in the tires, but the TPS or system provides a different number, you cannot change it to say "NO...I am right. Now use this as the standard"
7. The back window is not acoustic glass based on people in the back seat saying that they hear the car behind but not when it drives past the car.
8. The adaptive LED lights move (slightly) with the direction of the car.
9. There are cornering lights that turn on when moving slowly and going around a corner.
10. Mudflaps fit well enough that no one would know that they are a 99%, not 100% perfect fit.
11. 18" rims will fit the m40i
12. Press the sunroof twice and the shade will open and the sunroof will as well.
13. Freewheeling in ECO is a fun game that pisses off the people behind you who think "Why do people in super-cars always drive slow?" Ha!
14. A new windshield is $1620 and the PARTS (!) for an oil change are $100.

That is about all I can think of!
Paul
Sounds like you have serious buyer's remorse. Too bad -- these cars are too expensive to be such a disappointment. Maybe a Suburban or a Mitsubishi would make you happier.

Some of what you apparently are bent out of shape about are features, IMHO (#8, #9, #12). Some are plain misinformation: #11 -- you might have bought 18s that fit but that doesn't mean all of them will. And I think I saw pictures of #10 in a different post (yours?). I'd never put something on my car that fit that poorly. And some are pure speculation -- like #7.

I hope you resolve your regrets by the time you get rid of the car to give yourself a chance to enjoy the car. I'd argue there's still plenty to like about these cars. And that's from a guy whose M40i has had lots of issues (which the dealer has been good about fixing).
Appreciate 3
      11-24-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonEaDo View Post
If you unbuckle your seatbelt while going under 13-15mph, it won't bong...if you speed up to 15mph, it starts bonging
Interesting...I wonder why the system would be engineered this way. I mean, someone had to code that logic into whichever ECU controls the seat belt reminder. It's, apparently, not an accident. (Bad pun.)

Purely speculating: what if it has to do with the two-stage airbags? Below 15mph, maybe an accident will cause the air bags to fire in their maximum mode if the driver is unbelted. Above that speed maybe even the max mode won't deliver a minimum level of protection.

I'll never know -- I don't ever drive without seatbelts. :-)

Nice catch, though.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 11:25 AM   #7
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Kindness is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
Sounds like you have serious buyer's remorse. Too bad -- these cars are too expensive to be such a disappointment. Maybe a Suburban or a Mitsubishi would make you happier.

Some of what you apparently are bent out of shape about are features, IMHO (#8, #9, #12). Some are plain misinformation: #11 -- you might have bought 18s that fit but that doesn't mean all of them will. And I think I saw pictures of #10 in a different post (yours?). I'd never put something on my car that fit that poorly. And some are pure speculation -- like #7.

I hope you resolve your regrets by the time you get rid of the car to give yourself a chance to enjoy the car. I'd argue there's still plenty to like about these cars. And that's from a guy whose M40i has had lots of issues (which the dealer has been good about fixing).
Very kind response. Thank you sir. Happy trails
2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)
Appreciate 1
Yobyot490.00
      11-24-2018, 11:46 AM   #8
Neo1130
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 M40i

Quote:

Well, he assumes his Autozone pressure gauge is more accurate than the calibrated digital sensor that go into his wheels AND he called the X3 a Super-Car. LOL

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 12:09 PM   #9
Scottatah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M40i

• Cornering lights - I very much enjoy those!
  • Car seems to know when you're going up a hill and seems to decrease the amount of gas pedal pressing you need to maintain a speed.
  • Holding the unlock button (key) opens the doors and then windows/sunroof. Similar thing when pushing/holding lock (this may all have came from coding)
  • Active headlights - moving with the steering wheel...I'm pretty sure I still take them for granted. (wish the auto brights/non brights thing worked better though)
  • Tailgate needs much less room than you'd think to open
Appreciate 2
      11-24-2018, 12:15 PM   #10
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottatah View Post
  • Cornering lights - I very much enjoy those!
  • Car seems to know when you're going up a hill and seems to decrease the amount of gas pedal pressing you need to maintain a speed.
  • Holding the unlock button (key) opens the doors and then windows/sunroof. Similar thing when pushing/holding lock (this may all have came from coding)
  • Active headlights - moving with the steering wheel...I'm pretty sure I still take them for granted. (wish the auto brights/non brights thing worked better though)
  • Tailgate needs much less room than you'd think to open
Re: going uphill. Is this something you get with adaptive suspension?

Here are two more:

=> With ZDB, if you are using ASS and are stopped in traffic behind a vehicle, when that vehicle pulls away, the engine restarts.
=> Three quick pushes of the Stop/Start button puts you in maintenance mode, useful when coding to make sure the car doesn't auto turn off after timeout.
Appreciate 4
pej744593.00
BMWZ41904.00
      11-24-2018, 12:20 PM   #11
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

OP great thread Idea, and also thanks for sharing! I clicked the appreciate button but also wanted to give you a verbal thanks.

Last edited by jjrandorin; 11-24-2018 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #12
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I've had my X3 since April and just recently discovered I could change the scale of the map just by twisting the controller.
Appreciate 2
      11-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #13
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
OP great thread Idea, and also thanks for sharing! I licked the appreciate button but also wanted to give you a verbal thanks.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 03:16 PM   #14
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan321 View Post
I've had my X3 since April and just recently discovered I could change the scale of the map just by twisting the controller.
Have you tried voice commands like, "scale one mile", "scale 800 feet" or that all time #1 hit: "map facing north"?

I'm a big fan of iDrive voice commands.
Appreciate 3
      11-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #15
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Have you tried voice commands like, "scale one mile", "scale 800 feet" or that all time #1 hit: "map facing north"?

I do now
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 04:46 PM   #16
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
This is because the car monitors the live running pressure of the system. It would do no good for it to remember your cold pressure and then use that to compare your warm driving pressures to tell you when there's a problem. It wants to compare warm to warm. Some cars also use rolling circumference to help gauge tire inflation and those would also require some drive time.

Quote:
As you've already pointed out, pressure changes while driving, the car is never going to record your exact cold pressure. It doesn't matter so much if you put in 35 psi and the car measures 36 psi, or whose tools are more accurate. The important thing is the relative pressure from tire to tire, and that you can monitor the change in pressure.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #17
Jeepersjoey
Stay Tuned!
United_States
Rep

Hey, that's me!

Buyers remorse. Nope. Zero. I've got $70k into the car and the shortest I have kept a car is 12 yrs. This one is with me for the long haul.

I am truly amazed that so many people think that the mud flaps are not a great fit. Absuridely amazed. Have we forgotten that our generation cars with am only radios or that some had the mechanical push buttons?

Those that think those flaps don't fit need to look at a Jeep or drive a motor home. That...is perspective.

As for the tire gauge...my statement stands. Also...love to hear the answer to why the tires have to get warm before they "calibrate". Since things expand when heated, this is N.O.T. The way to calibrate. The smarty German Engineers got that one wrong.

Back to the normal silliness...I am hoping that someone lists something I don't know...since I know everything. Ha!

Paul
Appreciate 5
      11-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #18
Jeepersjoey
Stay Tuned!
United_States
Rep

Hey...you are the one that bought the next year M40i and then compared and contrasted. Good stuff there!

I will say that, you my dear, are a person that absolutely appreciates the M40i. Essentially...you married the same princess twice.

I am proud to say that I washed and then waxed the M40i today. I took 4.5 hrs. Who would polish a pig if they did not REALLY like the pig?

Yea...I really like this pig. And to me, it is an awesome super-car.

Paul

Quote:

Appreciate 2
      11-24-2018, 07:43 PM   #19
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:

As for the tire gauge...my statement stands. Also...love to hear the answer to why the tires have to get warm before they "calibrate". Since things expand when heated, this is N.O.T. The way to calibrate. The smarty German Engineers got that one wrong.

A lot of this is discussed in the owner's manual, but here's an exerpt:

Quote:
For tires with special approval: performing a reset
Via iDrive:

"My Vehicle"
"Vehicle status"
"Tire Pressure Monitor"
Switch on drive-ready state and do not drive off.
Reset tire inflation pressure: "Perform reset".
Drive away.
The wheels are displayed in gray and the following is displayed "Resetting Tire Pressure Monitor…".

After driving faster than 19 mph/30 km/h for a short period, the set tire inflation pressures are accepted as the target tire inflation pressures. The reset is completed automatically while driving.

After a successfully completed reset, the wheels on the Control Display are shown in green and the following is displayed: "Tire Pressure Monitor active. See label for recommended pressures.".

You may interrupt this trip at any time. When you continue the reset resumes automatically.
The whole point of the reset is to train the system to learn a new set of wheels/tires that isn't in the computer already. When you do the reset, you're basically telling the system that the current pressure is the "right" pressure, and then the system goes through the motions to sort out which sensor is at which corner of the car. It does this while you drive and uses speed and cornering to sniff out which tire is which (using ABS wheel speed sensors). It takes some time to do this.

If temperature varies during this process, it doesn't matter one bit. The TPM sensors on the X3 measure temperature and pressure simultaneously, and the computer does simple math with the ideal gas law and understands the relationship between pressure and temperature. Whatever pressure you have set your new wheels/tires at becomes the new accepted pressure and the computer is smart enough to scale it up and down based on temperature. It can read a "hot" pressure/temperature combo and know how to extrapolate that to a "cold" condition.
Appreciate 3
BMWZ41904.00
prototyp225.00
      11-24-2018, 07:55 PM   #20
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
This is because the car monitors the live running pressure of the system. It would do no good for it to remember your cold pressure and then use that to compare your warm driving pressures to tell you when there's a problem. It wants to compare warm to warm. Some cars also use rolling circumference to help gauge tire inflation and those would also require some drive time.

As you've already pointed out, pressure changes while driving, the car is never going to record your exact cold pressure. It doesn't matter so much if you put in 35 psi and the car measures 36 psi, or whose tools are more accurate. The important thing is the relative pressure from tire to tire, and that you can monitor the change in pressure.
Exactly.

I also assume that the the recommended tire pressure in iDrive compensates for the "heat" in the tires. We all know to never bleed a hot tire because pressures rise with temperature.

If my assumption is correct, the BMW system is the first I know of that can tell you what the tire pressure should be right now for that specific tire, which means you'd never ride on underinflated tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 09:50 PM   #21
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:

OP - GREAT THREAD btw

Also.....I wish BMW gave us and entire list of possible voice commands. It's always been somewhat of a mystery to me - what we can and cannot do and what BMW comes out with with new system updates.
      11-24-2018, 10:07 PM   #22
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
OP - GREAT THREAD btw

Also.....I wish BMW gave us and entire list of possible voice commands. It's always been somewhat of a mystery to me - what we can and cannot do and what BMW comes out with with new system updates.
I'm in violent agreement with you.

I am completely stumped why BMW doesn't do this. The crappy list of voice commands in the back of the manual doesn't come close to being accurate.

Two suggestions:

=> You can, for the most part, simply say whatever you want if it is an iDrive menu item, no matter how deep that entry is in the menu system. For example, if you have interior accent lighting and want to change the the color just say, "interior lighting".
=> Wherever you are in iDrive, just press the voice button and say, "What can I say?" This has uncovered some really interesting voice commands for me.
Appreciate 5
pej744593.00
shoptb176.00
kevinkay270.00
Rhidium272.50
JoshV14.50