BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #45
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i 2018 & X128i 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcsoup View Post
Unfortunately, no, the adaptive suspension is a $700 option. The M40i comes with a sport suspension as standard without any available dynamic damper settings.
Are there separate buttons in the car for the adaptive suspension over the other?

I have sport and sport plus... apologies, didn't set out to buy this car... drove it and loved it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 03:32 PM   #46
abcsoup
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i, X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by freitz View Post
Are there separate buttons in the car for the adaptive suspension over the other?

I have sport and sport plus... apologies, didn't set out to buy this car... drove it and loved it.
No problem; it can be confusing. This thread has a lot of info on it: http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1494707

If you have the 'Adaptive' button on the left side next to Sport/Comfort/Eco-Pro, then you have the adaptive suspension. You will also be able to customize the suspension mode in Sport Individual between 'Comfort' and 'Sport'.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 09:06 PM   #47
PFDnorthhills
Rep
Drives: X5 40e

Freitz
I've read all your posts. You do not seem to have the same problem. Perhaps you would best be served by starting another thread with what you are experiencing.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 01:02 PM   #48
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFDnorthhills View Post
Freitz
I've read all your posts. You do not seem to have the same problem. Perhaps you would best be served by starting another thread with what you are experiencing.
I captured the noise I hear.

I hear in car at hughway speeds. Now hear when first starting the car and listening underneath.

This a normal noise? It is the background rattle.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 01:13 PM   #49
jakhlyki
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Thanks for recording! I believe that’s normal. Yesterday, I was washing the car and while I was washing the wheels, I tapped the hard plastic wheel well cover in the front. This is a wild guess but the sound coming from the tapping of the wheel well is the same sound quality as the annoying noise we are all complaining about. I wonder if there’s a way to remove the plastic wheel well cover and drive and see if the sound is still there. The wheel well cover is solidly attached so maybe it is transmitting it’s own annoying frequency. Just a thought. Also, the plastic material for the front wheel well cover is different then the material in the back.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 01:14 PM   #50
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakhlyki View Post
Thanks for recording! I believe that’s normal. Yesterday, I was washing the car and while I was washing the wheels, I tapped the hard plastic wheel well cover in the front. This is a wild guess but the sound coming from the tapping of the wheel well is the same sound quality as the annoying noise we are all complaining about. I wonder if there’s a way to remove the plastic wheel well cover and drive and see if the sound is still there. The wheel well cover is solidly attached so maybe it is transmitting it’s own annoying frequency. Just a thought. Also, the plastic material for the front wheel well cover is different then the material in the back.
You think the noise is normal even though that can be heard (not nearly as loud) after 25 mph up until the window noise takes over? Usually 85mph.

Also is this noise the same as the one being described?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 01:20 PM   #51
jakhlyki
United_States
Rep

One thing We might try is to put dampening tape material to the inside wheel well cover to change its frequency and see if this might work. Autobody shops and cartoon or’s have this really thick dense material that they often use to dampen the inside of speaker housings.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #52
jakhlyki
United_States
Rep

Freitz,

I am absolutely convinced that the sound that I’m hearing is what everybody else is hearing. It could make sense that the noise is being generated by the tire contacting with the road, then being transmitted to the wheel, wheel hub, suspension, which is attached to the frame, which is in an indirect way attached to this plastic wheel well cover. The sound doesn’t get louder and louder, it peaks out at a certain speed limit. In any case, it could be a wild goose chase, but it was I thought I had yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 02:03 PM   #53
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Freitz,

I am absolutely convinced that the sound that I’m hearing is what everybody else is hearing. It could make sense that the noise is being generated by the tire contacting with the road, then being transmitted to the wheel, wheel hub, suspension, which is attached to the frame, which is in an indirect way attached to this plastic wheel well cover. The sound doesn’t get louder and louder, it peaks out at a certain speed limit. In any case, it could be a wild goose chase, but it was I thought I had yesterday.
I am trying to determine if the sound I posted sounds like what everyone else is hearing?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 02:50 PM   #54
Swampman
Swampman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40 - Glacier Silver

Drove to Woods Hole,MA today (180 miles) and experienced ground rough pavement as well as one day old smooth asphalt. Guess what, noise dissappeared on the smoothest surfaces! Tires are a contributor but may not be entire cause of “rumbling percolation”. Wish all the roads could be as smooth as the new paved sections of I-495 encountered. I was surprised how quiet the car was even at speeds up to 80. Sport setting was droning at that speed, adaptive and comfort rode very quiet.

Last edited by Swampman; 05-25-2018 at 06:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 04:35 PM   #55
PFDnorthhills
Rep
Drives: X5 40e

Freitz
Here is part of a post by Jeffhou73, a very smart guy, who started the thread.
"Not sure if this rules out the exhaust system, but you can turn the engine off when you are moving (by hitting the start/stop button 3-4 times) (and you still hear the noise.) So, its not the exhaust per se, but doesn't rule out a flap in the exhaust or hanger, etc. associated with the exhaust system. To restart the engine while moving, just hit the start/stop button again...no need to touch the brake to restart."
So......your post with the sound recording, engine running, is not what we are saying is the annoying noise he is describing. Unfortunately it is very difficult to record the noise, I have tried. I do not have the technology to separate all the sounds a car makes to determine where it is coming from.
I still believe it is associated with the tires and suspension components as was described by Swampman on this forum.
I only hear the exhaust on your recording which sounds normal to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 09:43 AM   #56
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFDnorthhills View Post
Freitz
Here is part of a post by Jeffhou73, a very smart guy, who started the thread.
"Not sure if this rules out the exhaust system, but you can turn the engine off when you are moving (by hitting the start/stop button 3-4 times) (and you still hear the noise.) So, its not the exhaust per se, but doesn't rule out a flap in the exhaust or hanger, etc. associated with the exhaust system. To restart the engine while moving, just hit the start/stop button again...no need to touch the brake to restart."
So......your post with the sound recording, engine running, is not what we are saying is the annoying noise he is describing. Unfortunately it is very difficult to record the noise, I have tried. I do not have the technology to separate all the sounds a car makes to determine where it is coming from.
I still believe it is associated with the tires and suspension components as was described by Swampman on this forum.
I only hear the exhaust on your recording which sounds normal to me.
I think you are misunderstanding me. I am saying if that noise similar to what you guys are hearing. Because I hear a similar noise at speed with engine off as posted above.

I also have been unsuccessful in recording the noise but found that noise to be similar.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 10:32 AM   #57
JeffHou73
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by freitz View Post
I think you are misunderstanding me. I am saying if that noise similar to what you guys are hearing. Because I hear a similar noise at speed with engine off as posted above.

I also have been unsuccessful in recording the noise but found that noise to be similar.
I concur with one thing and I don't concur with the other.

I DO concur Freitz's recording sounds like normal engine noise to me, but regardless, as PFDnorthhills reminds you, we've isolate our noise to NOT being engine related.

I DO NOT concur, however, that I am a very smart guy, but I appreciate your compliment! From your posts I find you to be a very smart and compelling guy as well with regard to helping to solve the specific issue we are addressing in this string.

Also, I like Swampman further redefining our noise as "rumbling percolation" - that combines the total sound we've been trying to describe and would suggest anyone seeking help with BMWUSA use this newest term....It may become an industry accepted word if this continues for too long!

I'll also take a look at the potential source defined by jakhlyki, around/over the wheel well. I, too, have noticed the sound disappears when hitting new smooth patches of pavement and, like PFDnorthills, the sound gets triggered by the non-smooth surface, but do not believe the tires/wheels are the culprit for the noise.

Let's keep this going and pinpoint the issue. If it can be pinpointed, maybe BMW can come with a fix for it. Until then, the problem seems to be ours to identify.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #58
GL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i, 2019 540i

Our X3 does not have this noise. however, we had an issue that appears to be similar to this on an older Honda Odyssey. It turned out to be a bad strut that would create a rumbling sound over certain pavement. Once the strut was replaced, the rumbling stopped. It took an act of Congress to get Honda to do it under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #59
jakhlyki
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL View Post
Our X3 does not have this noise. however, we had an issue that appears to be similar to this on an older Honda Odyssey. It turned out to be a bad strut that would create a rumbling sound over certain pavement. Once the strut was replaced, the rumbling stopped. It took an act of Congress to get Honda to do it under warranty.
GL, Do you have the M40I? Can’t quite tell which X3 you have. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #60
MikeTerp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30/340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchgrif View Post
not sure if this helps, but my Volvo xc60 a few years back had a low rumble noise but only once up to a certain speed and then continuous as you describe. took it back to dealer repeatedly and nothing helped. after it drove me mad for nearly three months I put it up on stands and went under it to find the plastic aerodynamic panels were loose. I had to push up all the little plastic trim panel plugs, about half of them were not set in all the way, voila problem solved. why the people who work on them could not find it I will never know but solving the problem let me enjoy the car finally.
The message I got from your post was that you "took it back to the dealer repeatedly" and they could not solve the problem. Yet, when you put it up on stands you found the problem. How many of us could tell the same story on any number of cars? I would not be surprised if they just parked it out back for awhile then claimed they could not find the problem. Sad.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 12:46 AM   #61
AndreG
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 650 coupe

I can completely confirm what Swampman posted: i drove the car on a newly covered, and very smooth, road and there was no noise!! Lots of noise though one mile further down the road on old surface.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #62
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

When I hand wash my M40 I notice that the molding at the bottom and wheel wheels can be wiggled and make noise. I wonder if this is what we are hearing on rough roads?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 10:13 AM   #63
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm getting a buzz at certain RPM on my M40i. Picked it up February built in February. The buzz seems to be coming from the rear passenger side of the cargo bay (or whatever we call our trunk) Very annoying and I've yet to bring it to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 10:49 AM   #64
jakhlyki
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg View Post
When I hand wash my M40 I notice that the molding at the bottom and wheel wheels can be wiggled and make noise. I wonder if this is what we are hearing on rough roads?
I agree, as I mentioned a few posts back. I think the easiest way to rule this out is to somehow dampen the wheel well inside cover with some sort of denser material, either heavy tape or something of that nature. Then test drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 11:10 AM   #65
GL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i, 2019 540i

Quote:
GL, Do you have the M40I? Can’t quite tell which X3 you have. Thanks
We have an M40i without the adaptive suspension (and no noise.)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 07:48 PM   #66
Loderunner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 M Sport

I experienced a rattling sound at the passenger side while driving. However, I discovered it was due to the seat belt hitting the side wall( which is hard plastic) when driving on uneven road.
Appreciate 0