BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-14-2017, 06:37 AM   #45
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4A View Post
Just been told my M40i is scheduled for production but factory closes down in 2 days' time and so car won't be done until mid/end January then travel time to UK means early February at the dealer.
According to the plant's website they are closed December 25-29 (week 52) and January 1. So that should allow for production next week (week 51).
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #46
Rhino707
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Ordered my M40i earlier this week. Scheduled to be here early April, seems like a lifetime away!

A little off topic, but could someone who's taken delivery please measure the height of the tailgate when fully open? Just want to know if it'll be OK in the garage without the need to limit the opening. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #47
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino707 View Post
A little off topic, but could someone who's taken delivery please measure the height of the tailgate when fully open? Just want to know if it'll be OK in the garage without the need to limit the opening. Thanks.
Congratulations on your order, Rhino707. Highest point of clearance is roughly 84-1/2" (about 2" or so higher than that of our 2015 LCI X3 35i). Here are some images I posted on our M40i Delivered thread, but re-posting here for ease of reference. Note also that the useful upper range of motion is much more operational now, so even if you choose to lower it still is at a reasonable height to not have to bend down as much.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Gudus16.50
JustChris17423.00
Bimar795.00
rrao5610.00
      12-14-2017, 12:18 PM   #48
Rhino707
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Wow, thanks Max, that's seriously beyond the call of duty and really appreciated.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4690.50
      12-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #49
UKBazzer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 30d MSport

Car Eye

Menno86 - just to let you know that I took my X3 back to the dealer today for them to finish the car eye installation. In total they must have had it for about 16 hours ! but obviously I really don't know how long they were actually working on the fitting.
Apparently they had major problems as the wiring loom / conduit info they had from BMW for the G01 was considerably different to real life.
They certainly would have learnt from experience for the next G01 Car Eye installation.
I was a little concerned about the camera as a few people had commented on its size - but it's smaller than I expected, looks good (front and rear), has been excellently installed and looks like it belongs on the car, rather than being a retrofit.
Best thing, of course, (ignoring the price) is that it's dealer installed and therefore won't affect the warranty.
Good luck if you do fit one yourself - I wouldn't fancy finding my way from the rear to the front - and I didn't like the front only camera that I fit into my F25 as I had it plugged into the cigarette lighter - therefore wires showing.
Merry Christmas to one and all - hope you enjoy your G01s in the New Year - I know I will.
Regards..............
Appreciate 1
JustChris17423.00
      12-15-2017, 07:26 AM   #50
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I test drive a 20D today in MSport with very few options.

I was thoroughly impressed, all round I could not fault the car. The new slightly smaller MSport wheel is superb and the whole fit and finish of the interior is spot on. I was testing it mainly to check for rattle and echo (which you can get in the vast space of an SUV/SAV, my X5s used to annoy a little) but it was nice and quiet and composed.

This has the acoustic glass, which I assume for the money everyone ticks that option.

For those that have a 2.0D in the uk, if you're driving steady what kind of range are you looking at 600-700 mile tank?

Cheers
      12-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #51
UKBazzer
United Kingdom
Rep

20d tank range

I had an F25 20d for about 6.5 years - on a good run I would normally get up to about 650 miles out of the tank but it does, of course, depend on your driving style.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17423.00
      12-15-2017, 03:11 PM   #52
Yizu
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno86 View Post
Please keep us posted for the solution they find. Im also going to wire a dashcam after delivery.
I am planning to install the BlackVue DR750S-2CH after delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno86 View Post
there anyone who has placed an order in the Netherlands? I’ve placed my order for a 20i on November 21st. Expected delivery around March 26.
Menno86, I did order the M-Sport 2.0D on November 28th. The production date is Feb, 6th and the ETA is March 12th. Dealer estimates to recieve it in the 1st week of March.

Last edited by Yizu; 12-15-2017 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
rrao5610.00
      12-15-2017, 03:41 PM   #53
MdW86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 320i 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
I am planning to install the BlackVue DR750S-2CH after delivery.

Menno86, I did order the M-Sport 2.0D on November 28th. The production date is Feb, 6th and the ETA is March 12th. Dealer estimates to recieve it in the 1st week of March.
Cool, I guess ours will be on the same boat. Ill contact de dealer next week to see if they can give some more info. When I ordered they onky knew production in week 7 and estimated delivery around March 26st.

I’ll will also install a Blackvue. @bnewman666, tnx for the update. I installed a dashcam in my current f30 with the wire tucked away in the headliner rubbers and to the fuse box in the trunk. I hope some will post some pics for the g01, else ill will have to just give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 04:54 AM   #54
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

So it's too early for any Mod threads but....

Do we think it's beyond the realms of feasibility to install the M40i type rectangular exhausts onto 20d and 30d models along with the rear valence with a bit of exhaust manipulation?
      12-16-2017, 06:55 AM   #55
nickb3
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

How refined did the G01 feel in comparison with your X5? I've not had chance to test drive, but I am wondering how the 5 Series/X3/X5 compare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post

I was thoroughly impressed, all round I could not fault the car. The new slightly smaller MSport wheel is superb and the whole fit and finish of the interior is spot on. I was testing it mainly to check for rattle and echo (which you can get in the vast space of an SUV/SAV, my X5s used to annoy a little) but it was nice and quiet and composed.

This has the acoustic glass, which I assume for the money everyone ticks that option.

For those that have a 2.0D in the uk, if you're driving steady what kind of range are you looking at 600-700 mile tank?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 01:10 PM   #56
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb3 View Post
How refined did the G01 feel in comparison with your X5? I've not had chance to test drive, but I am wondering how the 5 Series/X3/X5 compare?

Quote:

Cheers
Hi Nick,

Honestly better. My last X5 was the 50d and was on 20' run flats and TBH was even with adaptive very crashy on the RFTs.

The dealer on the G01 drive was great and outlined the spec to me . 20d with the standard MSport suspension and 19s.

Honestly it was a revelation. Please do take into account I stepped out of an M2 and into this test drive but..it was superb. There is IMO body roll in brisk cornering but it stops immediately at a certain point. The rise otherwise was perfect, less crash, smooth, quiet and IMO equal to last gen F15.

I was actually at the dealers to test drive a 530d but was so smitten even with the X3 20d that I cancelled the 5 series drive.

I'm pretty certain now my next car will be an X3/4. Time will tell as I'm fairly fickle but right now post drive it is top of the list.
      12-16-2017, 03:43 PM   #57
nickb3
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I was thinking my next car would be a 5er, proabably a 540i, but hearing so many things about the X3, maybe I'll take a look at the X40i

Quote:
Hi Nick,

Honestly better. My last X5 was the 50d and was on 20' run flats and TBH was even with adaptive very crashy on the RFTs.

The dealer on the G01 drive was great and outlined the spec to me . 20d with the standard MSport suspension and 19s.

Honestly it was a revelation. Please do take into account I stepped out of an M2 and into this test drive but..it was superb. There is IMO body roll in brisk cornering but it stops immediately at a certain point. The rise otherwise was perfect, less crash, smooth, quiet and IMO equal to last gen F15.

I was actually at the dealers to test drive a 530d but was so smitten even with the X3 20d that I cancelled the 5 series drive.

I'm pretty certain now my next car will be an X3/4. Time will tell as I'm fairly fickle but right now post drive it is top of the list.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17423.00
      12-27-2017, 02:50 PM   #58
MdW86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 320i 2012

My dealer (the Netherlands) told me that the current delivery time for two X3's that they just sold, is around July. Pff...

Luckily I had their last lot, and my production week is week 7. Expected delivery still end of March.
Appreciate 1
Slalom506.50
      12-27-2017, 03:18 PM   #59
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
So it's too early for any Mod threads but....

Do we think it's beyond the realms of feasibility to install the M40i type rectangular exhausts onto 20d and 30d models along with the rear valence with a bit of exhaust manipulation?
Make the modding easier...just get the M40i!

Mine is still due at the end of March. Noticed that the discount on ”coast2coast” is now down to £3.2k. You know it makes sense!!!!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17423.00
      12-30-2017, 04:55 AM   #60
UKBazzer
United Kingdom
Rep

G01 30d Update

I've now driven my new X3 on various UK roads in all conditions for about 1k miles and it's just getting better and better. The MSport suspension (non-adaptive) on 19" wheels is just about perfect for me. And having been a techie all my life I love the full digital dash - a highly recommended upgrade imo.
The blue is a bit weird - depending on the weather it varies from a fairly bright French navy blue to almost black. I had a Merc SLK with varicolour paint for a few years and the Phytonic is pretty similar in the way it seems to react to the sky. Great colour.
I do have a couple of little niggles though, so it's going back to the dealer next week for a fix:
I had the BMW dash cam fitted but it's not going into park mode when the ignition is switched off and it just carries on recording. I get a warning message in the morning about the battery being drained, so I have to physically switch the camera off when I park overnight. Defeats one of the benefits of having it fitted. From what I've read this is a fairly common problem - someone on this site said that it had been fixed through software updates but didn't mention where to download them - the BMW site certainly doesn't offer any help or links.
The other minor problem is that the passenger mirror won't automatically angle down when I put the car into reverse - I paid for the retracting mirrors option. The manual says that the feature is disabled if you're towing, so I assume it's getting a false message from wherever (now that a tow bar is a factory fitted option).
Hopefully they'll get both problems fixed next week - but neither have spoilt the joy of driving this great X3.
b.t.w. I know there has been a lot of hype about the 40i but I think I bought the best of both worlds with the 30d MSport - 0-60 in 5.8, top speed 149, and up to 49 mpg, not that I will ever achieve that !!
Can't wait for some decent weather so that I can get the sunroof open.......
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 05:12 AM   #61
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewman666 View Post
The other minor problem is that the passenger mirror won't automatically angle down when I put the car into reverse - I paid for the retracting mirrors option. The manual says that the feature is disabled if you're towing, so I assume it's getting a false message from wherever (now that a tow bar is a factory fitted option).
Passenger mirror will only angle down if the mirror selector switch is set to the right.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 04:15 AM   #62
UKBazzer
United Kingdom
Rep

Parking - mirror

Strike4A - many thanks for the advice, but that's not the problem......
My previous car for nearly 7 years was an F25 X3 - so I am fully aware of the need to have it switched to the driver's side.
Unlike my F25 there is now an option to have the mirrors retract / park automatically when the ignition is turned off - so I no longer have to hit the button or hold the lock button on the key.
So I thought there might be an iDrive option for the auto mirror angling, but I can't find anything. Also, as I mentioned, the owner manual mentions that the feature is disabled if you are towing, so I assume it's to do with that.
Hopefully the dealer will fix it this week, along with the camera problem. They've always been pretty good..........
Thanks again Strik4A
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 02:39 PM   #63
UKBazzer
United Kingdom
Rep

Passenger mirror not angling down

Took my X3 in this morning to get the mirror and camera problems sorted.
They phoned to say that the mirror is a software fault so they will update it, but they’re still looking at the camera wiring. Hopefully get it back tomorrow.
Usual new car hiccups but the dealer has been great.
Wonder whether i’ll discover some more features with the software upgrade - fingers crossed !!

Quick update - picked the X3 up today - the camera is fixed but not the mirror problem. Apparently what they were advised to do (software update) didn't work so they are now waiting for a further software fix - eta in a few weeks. No problem though as I'm off to LaLa Land for a few weeks of Sun and Sangria.

Last edited by UKBazzer; 01-05-2018 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: Newer info
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #64
Langs_in_london
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i (On order)

Hey UK folk,

Just a heads up you may want to check your build slots, mines just dropped a month to delivery in April...Bit of a bummer, anyone else? Wonder why.....Across the board or just me...

LS
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 03:09 PM   #65
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Placed order with dealer in December, dealer can’t get confirmed building slot at the moment, apparently has 5 other orders in the same position. Not bothered assuming he honours trade in offer.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 04:19 PM   #66
Rhino707
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langs_in_london View Post
Hey UK folk,

Just a heads up you may want to check your build slots, mines just dropped a month to delivery in April...Bit of a bummer, anyone else? Wonder why.....Across the board or just me...

LS
Which model did you order and when? I ordered an M40i mid-December. Still at status 1100 and with build estimate mid-March and delivery at the end of April, according to the on-line chat. That’s as it was when I ordered.
Appreciate 0