BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-28-2017, 08:49 PM   #89
xDRAN0x
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

wow 19" wheels looks so out of place :|

It bothers me a little bit on my '13 M-Sport X3, but on the new one wow it just doesn't cut it.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 09:08 PM   #90
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDRAN0x View Post
wow 19" wheels looks so out of place :|

It bothers me a little bit on my '13 M-Sport X3, but on the new one wow it just doesn't cut it.
Funny that you say that.....I have just the opposite reaction when I see the bigger wheels with so little rubber (outside tire diameter is the same)--they just look wrong. In part just the vagaries of fashion and part just pure personal preferences.
Appreciate 3
scottomfg286.50
SoCalRob281.00
      10-28-2017, 10:44 PM   #91
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcooper View Post
Funny that you say that.....I have just the opposite reaction when I see the bigger wheels with so little rubber (outside tire diameter is the same)--they just look wrong. In part just the vagaries of fashion and part just pure personal preferences.
I feel sort of the same way. Actually, I think all the sizes look generally fine but I don't think the 19s look anywhere as bad as some people are making it out to be. The 21s look cool but in my mind I always think of those as belonging on cars on a test track and not so much a SAV/SUV since your thought process is that those belong on smooth pavement - and SAV/SUVs are supposed to be able to handle off-road activities (though majority of these will never see a rugged path). But I agree with your last sentence. It's a mixture of looks and practicality and personal preference to me.
Appreciate 2
bwcooper182.00
scottomfg286.50
      10-29-2017, 06:12 AM   #92
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Finally got a chance to drive some back roads late yesterday in Sport mode. Many reviews by folks more expert than I have already been written so I will just compare with the 2011, 12, and 15 X3 35is we have owned.

The engine and power are marked improvements in acceleration. There was no hesitation from start as occ noted with our older versions, and it was smooth and powerful. Cornering is confident without give or sway, and I like the 19" performance Yokohama ADVAN Sport ZPS which came on our M40i (245/50R19 105W, Treadwear 240, Traction A, Temp A). I didn't sense the road ruts as much as my wife indicated she had when driving home, but we didn't hit some of the bad stretches of road she did when we came home from the Dealership.

The HK sound system is excellent. Just getting a feel for the Tech which has been markely elevated it seems. The gesture control for the screen is simple and works great, and the interface is intuitive and she is really enjoying the Apple Car Play. We received some texts and the nice female voice read them aloud to us and asked if we wished to reply, so a simple dictation is taken (without any words missed), and after saying 'send' the reply was sent back immediately. This may have been around for a while but it is our first experience with it. Coupling that with the nice HUD, one really doesn't have to take their eyes off the road much at all to handle a number of tasks.

The ventilated seats work as advertised and are comfortable. As I haven't had a chance to sit in the non-vent seats I can't compare, but down here in the South we're glad we got them. The cameras continue to improve with each new version, and these are excellent providing about anything one could possibly need in visual references while maneuvering in parking.

I just feel more comfortable and confident driving the M40i c/w our 2nd Gens. It really is going to be a great car to drive on Interstates and should be much more adept at taming metropolitan on-ramps with steep and/or short and/or curved slopes with fast moving traffic.

Here are a few pictures of our G01 next to our 2015 LCI in the garage, showing some of the exterior design changes from the side and front views.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
bwcooper182.00
JSY578.00
ando2000.50
alt2118.00
nyalpine907433.00
      10-29-2017, 10:04 AM   #93
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Finally got a chance to drive some back roads late yesterday in Sport mode. Many reviews by folks more expert than I have already been written so I will just compare with the 2011, 12, and 15 X3 35is we have owned.

The engine and power are marked improvements in acceleration. There was no hesitation from start as occ noted with our older versions, and it was smooth and powerful. Cornering is confident without give or sway, and I like the 19" performance Yokohama ADVAN Sport ZPS which came on our M40i (245/50R19 105W, Treadwear 240, Traction A, Temp A). I didn't sense the road ruts as much as my wife indicated she had when driving home, but we didn't hit some of the bad stretches of road she did when we came home from the Dealership.

The HK sound system is excellent. Just getting a feel for the Tech which has been markely elevated it seems. The gesture control for the screen is simple and works great, and the interface is intuitive and she is really enjoying the Apple Car Play. We received some texts and the nice female voice read them aloud to us and asked if we wished to reply, so a simple dictation is taken (without any words missed), and after saying 'send' the reply was sent back immediately. This may have been around for a while but it is our first experience with it. Coupling that with the nice HUD, one really doesn't have to take their eyes off the road much at all to handle a number of tasks.

The ventilated seats work as advertised and are comfortable. As I haven't had a chance to sit in the non-vent seats I can't compare, but down here in the South we're glad we got them. The cameras continue to improve with each new version, and these are excellent providing about anything one could possibly need in visual references while maneuvering in parking.

I just feel more comfortable and confident driving the M40i c/w our 2nd Gens. It really is going to be a great car to drive on Interstates and should be much more adept at taming metropolitan on-ramps with steep and/or short and/or curved slopes with fast moving traffic.

Here are a few pictures of our G01 next to our 2015 LCI in the garage, showing some of the exterior design changes from the side and front views.
Thanks for the quick review, so I gather it has a more cushy ride than the F25 and handles better. Question how big is the upgrade of internal materials, leather and fit & finish to the F25?
Appreciate 1
Max Well4734.50
      10-29-2017, 10:11 AM   #94
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS1969 View Post
Picked up my Alpine White today. 20 inch wheels with Pirelli runflats. No M steering wheel.
No pics???
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 10:16 AM   #95
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Thanks for the quick review, so I gather it has a more cushy ride than the F25 and handles better. Question how big is the upgrade of internal materials, leather and fit & finish to the F25?
Much improved. I think those that switched out of the 2nd Gen X3 for this reason alone will now have pause to reconsider the X3 series with future purchases. And even more so if Individual and Merino Leather is added into the mix.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #96
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Underbody Aerodynamics - Comparison of 2012 X3 35i vs 2018 X3 M40i

As much of my interest lies in BMW's attempts at maximizing aerodynamic efficiency, thought I would take a look at the underbodies of 2012 and 2018 X3s. It becomes clear how much they have tried to panel underbody parts to minimize turbulent flow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
JSY578.00
ando2000.50
alt2118.00
Bimar799.50
      10-29-2017, 10:34 AM   #97
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Instrument Cluster and Wireless Charging size

We don't have the iPhone 8 or X, but wanted to show the size of the charging pad - here is the iPhone 7Plus which fits exactly (3-1/4" x 6-1/2").
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
JSY578.00
ando2000.50
alt2118.00
      10-29-2017, 10:46 AM   #98
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
When you describe the text message dictation feature - are you talking about a feature that is built into iDrive or are you talking about an Apple Car Play feature.

In my current 2015 35i, I am able to listen, reply, and dictate but the voice does not ask me if I want to reply (have to click on something), and in order to use the dictation feature, I have to subscribe to a service (Dragon Messaging) in my iDrive. So, it sounds very different and I would love to stop paying $30 a year just so I can dictate my text messages. However, even though I have an iPhone, that is my secondary phone - and I send and receive texts primarily through my Android phone, which is why I'm asking if what you're describing is through Apple Car Play since my Android phone wouldn't work with that.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 10:55 AM   #99
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
When you describe the text message dictation feature - are you talking about a feature that is built into iDrive or are you talking about an Apple Car Play feature.

In my current 2015 35i, I am able to listen, reply, and dictate but the voice does not ask me if I want to reply (have to click on something), and in order to use the dictation feature, I have to subscribe to a service (Dragon Messaging) in my iDrive. So, it sounds very different and I would love to stop paying $30 a year just so I can dictate my text messages. However, even though I have an iPhone, that is my secondary phone - and I send and receive texts primarily through my Android phone, which is why I'm asking if what you're describing is through Apple Car Play since my Android phone wouldn't work with that.
My wife said that is an Apple Car Play feature (she knows more about that stuff than I).

And regarding your question on the steering wheel telecopic ability on that thread, here are a few pictures - it is manual. Vertical movement is about 1-1/4" and horizontal (out-in) is about 2-1/2". As it is manual it will not be part of the settings for key 1 or key 2 (my wife pointed that out).
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
JSY578.00
ando2000.50
alt2118.00
      10-29-2017, 10:58 AM   #100
BMWMico
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30e

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #101
GianniB
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Somebody got one M40i in Carbon Black? I want to see what it looks like since I ordered one in that color
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #102
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 Porsche Macan S

Quote:
The mat I shared with you is in our new G01 X3 M40i. It was an add on from the Dealer - "BMW trunk mat" for $199. We also got the all-weather mats for the inside for $149.
Great looking X3, congrats. Nice house too. For me tough call between Carbon Black and Dark Graphite..leaning towards Carbon Black. Also your pic seals it for me - gonna order the 19"s. The tires just need a little shine and the 19's look fine. I have 19" M Sport rims on X5 and really like them, and the X3 is a bit smaller so 19's should be fine. I need a little meat on my tires living in the city.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4734.50
      10-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #103
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
We don't have the iPhone 8 or X, but wanted to show the size of the charging pad - here is the iPhone 7Plus which fits exactly (3-1/4" x 6-1/2").
Sorry, forgot to mention. When we picked up our car the Genius Rep going over everything mentioned this wireless charging will not work with the iPhone 7 Series or earlier - only with 8 and X. And even then, apparently Apple hasn't come up with the software update yet to allow those models to wireless charge. AUS1969 and others who may know more can chime in, but I didn't want to give the perception that her iPhone 7Plus was charging - it was there to just show size.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 11:59 AM   #104
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Wheel paddles comparison with 2015 X3 35i MSport wheel

For completeness of these photos am also including this here (posted on the Steering Wheel thread in response to X4Guy's question).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
alt2118.00
      10-29-2017, 12:21 PM   #105
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Sorry, forgot to mention. When we picked up our car the Genius Rep going over everything mentioned this wireless charging will not work with the iPhone 7 Series or earlier - only with 8 and X. And even then, apparently Apple hasn't come up with the software update yet to allow those models to wireless charge. AUS1969 and others who may know more can chime in, but I didn't want to give the perception that her iPhone 7Plus was charging - it was there to just show size.
I’d be surprised if a software update is required. The iPhone 8 is already working on other Qi compatible chargers.

If you want you can also get an insert for your case that will wirelessly charge the iPhone 7. It blocks your lightning port though so you really have to go all in with Qi chargers if you want to avoid any hassle of removing it often.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 12:29 PM   #106
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
I’d be surprised if a software update is required. The iPhone 8 is already working on other Qi compatible chargers.

If you want you can also get an insert for your case that will wirelessly charge the iPhone 7. It blocks your lightning port though so you really have to go all in with Qi chargers if you want to avoid any hassle of removing it often.
Thank you for clarifying, sor - good to know, as I was just paraphrasing what I thought I remembered Genius telling us at pickup. I'll let my wife know as she was going to hold off getting the 8 until sure of that! And I just now saw meanmusic's thread about the wireless charging in which some of this was discussed - sorry I had missed that earlier.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 01:11 PM   #107
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you for clarifying, sor - good to know, as I was just paraphrasing what I thought I remembered Genius telling us at pickup. I'll let my wife know as she was going to hold off getting the 8 until sure of that! And I just now saw meanmusic's thread about the wireless charging in which some of this was discussed - sorry I had missed that earlier.
Just or further reference:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208148

Maybe if there's a software update it's on BMW's side?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 01:27 PM   #108
meanmusic
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Competition

The iPhone 7 does not have any wireless charging hardware. It does not support wireless charging. Only the iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 01:41 PM   #109
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmusic View Post
The iPhone 7 does not have any wireless charging hardware. It does not support wireless charging. Only the iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X
Yes, that’s why I said you have to buy the wireless charging insert if you want to wirelessly charge iPhone 7.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 02:05 PM   #110
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by falsek1ng View Post
My dealer told me today that the guy who ordered before me M40i came in today and they are delivering.. said mine will arrive early week and I should get then. I asked about EPA and he said he thinks it's done!
Thanks for sharing, falsek1ng! That would be great if indeed it comes to pass. It would be a shame for that glitch to hold things up, especially when they have been in testing for some years now, and already have the Euro numbers out there.

I have to think BMW hit this G01 interation out of the park, or at least a close one. They've kept the sizing most of us in this segment require, yet they have now raised the bar with the luxury and performance which many were needing. A competitive segment in the Auto Industry for sure! One more picture - coming off the Delivery transport:
Any reason why we can't get the same paint for the rear valence?? Make it a 500 option?
Appreciate 0