BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #23
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
Congrats and nice write up!

Looks like you got it from Chapman in Chandler?

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2019, 04:44 PM   #24
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Thanks for write-up.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2019, 04:59 PM   #25
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom7835 View Post
Is it just be or does the trunk badge look crooked? Seems nice, I just wish people would order their cars in colors that weren't so boring
Don't hate the playa... hate the game.

Seriously... Don't blame the buyer.. instead blame the manufacturer....

People can't order their cars in " colors that aren't so boring " until the manufacturer provides paint options that aren't so boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3M View Post
I doubt he ordered his as the allocations just became available, and it will take time to build them. All of the initial X3M's I have seen delivered by BMW to their dealerships so far have been Donnington Grey.
+1
Appreciate 2
      07-15-2019, 05:00 PM   #26
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

great review, get those color match reflectors and it will be all you need, thats a great looking ride!!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 2
      07-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #27
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Donington Grey is my favorite color so far as well.

Congratulations! Very helpful review.
Appreciate 2
      07-15-2019, 07:21 PM   #28
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

I was looking at the launch X3MC at my dealer yesterday. I will say the comp seats are very nice and comfortable. Though at 6'3", the leg side bolsters (which are non adjustable) might get kind of annoying/uncomfortable after a short while. Didn't like, maybe you get used to it, the raised cargo floor because of the spare tire. Looks ugly.
Why doesn't BMW include a sealer/inflator kit like they did on my E92 M3? Don't care for the Donnington Gray color, but no surprise since I don't like silvers or gray colors on vehicles. I would get Alpine White with an all black interior, which is usually my favorite combo.
Problem is, it just reminded me too much of my M40i.
After thoroughly looking it over, I didn't have time for a test ride, so that will wait for another day. That would probably change my mind.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 09:40 PM   #29
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom7835 View Post
Is it just be or does the trunk badge look crooked? Seems nice, I just wish people would order their cars in colors that weren't so boring
It's because they are spending their money and not yours. I'm sure if you offered to pay for their vehicle they would let you pick the colour. Besides Donington Grey is a fantastic colour in person.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2019, 10:09 PM   #30
CRtoE92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Melbourne red

Loving that grey!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 10:14 PM   #31
goatfarmer1970
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

My neighbor just got the same color combo (and he also traded in an M3 Comp). Anyway, it is sweet and sounds awesome (in Sport Plus)...makes me think the next M3 will sound WAAAAAAAY better than the car it replaces.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 10:41 PM   #32
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Donnington gray f80 m3, now there's a car!
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      07-15-2019, 10:47 PM   #33
TheObviousChild
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp xDrive - '21 X3M40

This is a great write-up! Really enjoyed reading it. I just got my wife a new X3 and really enjoy driving it... even the base model has decent pickup and the new idrive and instrument cluster are great. I'm in a 340 with the MPPK and am looking forward to my first M3 once the G80 comes out.

Previous: 2020 M340 / 2017 X3 / 2016 340xi / 2013 335xi / 2011 X3 / 2010 328i / 2007 328i / 2004 325i
Appreciate 2
      07-15-2019, 10:55 PM   #34
JohnNick72
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW G05 X5 M50i

Garage List
Wow, thanks for all the comments and congratulations to my post! Looks like it was helpful in some way to many of you.

Rather than reply to each individually, I'll hit a few things that I saw while reading through these below, but first I need to correct a mistake I made in my write up - the ventilated seats are noisy!

I saw a question about the ASD this morning, so I tried to do some sleuthing on the drive to work and to/from lunch today, and in doing so I discovered this. It's been pretty hot these past few days in AZ, so I typically have air blasting and I thought I was hearing a rear A/C blower, but nope, it is the seat ventilation. I apologize for that error, but I would still recommend the ventilated seats for people in hot areas. It's a pretty inexpensive add on when you want/need it and chances are (like me) you'll have other air blasting too, so it may not bother you.
ASD

This one is a little hard to be certain about, but in doing some revs in Efficient and Sport with the exhaust button pressed and off, I think the noise changes inside and out based on the button (more so than the mode).

I tinkered with my F80's ASD and flaps, and ended up back where I started. Those familiar will know that on the F80 Competition model, with the engine in the Efficient setting the ASD is pretty quiet and the flaps in the muffler would close pretty soon after the start up roar and stay closed unless/until you got pretty high in the rev range, and then they'd close again without crackles and pops when you dropped back down. In the Sport & Sport Plus modes the ASD was a little louder, and the flaps stay open and add different levels of crackles & pops depending on how much you played with the pedal.

For the first year and a half or so, after reading too many posts on the F80 board, I convinced myself I didn't like ASD and the car should be louder, all the time, so I had unplugged the controller for the flaps so they were always opened, and I unplugged the ASD box in the trunk so I didn't have any fake exhaust sound and my music would sound better. Later, I decided I wanted to be able to be a little stealthier in the church parking lot, in the elementary school parking lot, etc. and put everything back to stock. Turns out I liked it fine stock.

On the X3M Comp, I can't say that all the ASD noise goes away inside the car with the button off, but it does get quieter. Rolling down the window to hear the outside noise, the same seemed true. The exhaust was louder with the button on & quieter with it off (as you'd expect). Surprising to me, I don't thing I heard a difference between the outside exhaust sound between Efficient and Sport, with the button on or off (respectively). Once I'm able to rev higher, we'll see if this holds true. I only went up to ~5,500 RPM.

Long story short, I'm sure there will be an easy enough way to tinker with the flaps and ASD on this one for the folks who need to adjust.

8 Spd Auto vs. DCT

I need more time shifting at higher revs, but this transmission seems to be smoother and less likely to remind you of when you couldn't drive a manual with a clutch pedal if you get on it wrong. While it's still very quick to shift gears with the paddles it does it in a (slightly) less exciting way.

More to come later on...

IND Reflectors

Meh, I don't get excited about these things anymore. I put "clear corners" on my 2003 G35 Coupe, and I remember thinking that was awesome. Now, I just don't care about the reflectors. If someone really wanted to really be slick, they'd make a replacement bumper cover that is the same except doesn't have the cutouts.

The Badge

It's not crooked, the panel is angled and curved. It's the photo that makes it look distorted. I'll probably pull the badge off soon, so it's easier to wash/detail.

Color/Order/Allocation

I didn't order the car, just happened upon it Saturday morning. I'm on an extended work assignment in Mesa and got up too late to go on my bike ride, so I didn't have much to do on the 6th.

My lease was going to be up at the end of Nov, and I've been all over the place on what I wanted to get next, so I was browsing the Chapman page to see what they had in stock to to think about. I was looking through the M Models and saw this one and was very surprised (I think it was misclassified as something else, but don't recall). Anyway, I already had my Houston dealers on notice to give me a call when these started coming in, and I didn't think they were being delivered yet, so I called to make sure it was there and available. Internet Manager said yes, so I told them I'd be over in a couple of hours to check it out.

I did a walk around, and liked it. I reviewed the build again, and confirmed it was the same way I would have built it. We took it out on a test drive, I really liked it, and that turned into a "let's see what we can do...." A few hours later I was driving home my new X3M Competition. Basically it was a right place, right time deal. As I was leaving, another guy who had a later appointment walked in to fid the car was sold.

Tires

Thanks for the comment about the 2 Manufacturer set-up, I was aware, but not really thinking of it that way.

Like I mentioned, I'm a big fan of the Michelin PS4s, and don't really know much about the Conti's.

I watched a few reviews on the Spot Contact 6, and the conclusion was that they were quieter, smoother riding, stickier or just as sticky in 3 season use, but didn't wear as well. So, I'm was just wondering if the "good ride" I'm experiencing is partly due to this tire.

Regardless, I was happy to find all the fussing about an unbearable ride to be false. At least compared to my preferences.

Does it give me The Fizz

For the James May fans out there...

I loved the F80 M3 too and I think it's the one to get if you one need/want a RWD sedan. I drove mine ~1,300 miles from Houston to Phoenix in 2 days and I had a blast winding through some nice mountain passes at a stupid pace with my mountain bike attached to the carbon roof with the SeaSucker mounts.

My challenge was that I wanted something I could take off pavement and not worry about scraping my lip spoiler. I love the outdoors and sometimes getting to the good places to bike, hike & climb don't match up well with the M3. I wanted something with AWD for the wet and slick roads we have constantly in Houston, but that still was able to be driven hard. Something I could put a locking roof rack on, at some point.

Also, I wanted a higher ride height with a lot of sportiness. 3 out of 5 vehicles in Houston are Trucks or SUV, so it can be pretty annoying to see what's ahead or alongside in a car. The X3M sits up high enough to see well.

I didn't have the time to wait for the next gen M3 which will reportedly will have 4WD (& rumors there may be a RWD manual transmission, but ??).

So, does it do all the same nice things (Fizz) that the F80 did? I hope so! Seems like it will.... I'll let you know when I can open it up.
I think that covers all the questions.

Cheers!

John

The old bike hauler, & the new bike hauler
Attached Images

Last edited by JohnNick72; 07-15-2019 at 11:30 PM..
Appreciate 12
chicagofan0018923.00
ando1954.50
jphcbpa299.50
GuyOh1064.00
Tslbmw69.50
jmg18493.00
clee1982796.00
kozzi927.00
      07-15-2019, 11:08 PM   #35
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Nice looking enough, good luck. But, who buys an M3 for comfort?? Personally think the ride quality is better than any previous generations, oh well
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 11:13 PM   #36
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNick72 View Post
Meh, I don't get excited about these things anymore. I put "clear corners" on my 2003 G35 Coupe, and I remember thinking that was awesome. Now, I just don't care about the reflectors. If someone really wanted to really be slick, they'd make a replacement bumper cover that is the same except doesn't have the cutouts.
Thanks for the update...love hearing about this new beast. It's funny, someone does...BMW. You just can't have it this side of the Atlantic! Thanks USDOT!
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2019, 11:52 PM   #37
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M

What no photo credit???? Nice write up glad you are enjoying it.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 11:58 PM   #38
BuddhaTB
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
Thank You for the great write-up and enjoy your beautiful new M toy!
      07-16-2019, 12:03 AM   #39
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita

Quote:
At the suggestion of another member, here's my early ownership notes. Hope this helps some of you guys wondering about the car or waiting for yours to arrive.

I’m quite happy with my new daily-driver/do it all X3M Competition.

Pricing

If anything, pricing is slightly better than expected. Let’s face it, nothing is getting cheaper…. The sticker on my 2017 F80 M3 with Metallic paint, Extended Leather, Competition Package, Executive Package, Driver’s Assistance, DCT, and WiFi & Enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging was just a hair under $80k. So, a sticker just under $83k for a loaded (less Driver’s Assistant Pro+) X3M Competition was a pleasant surprise.

What you actually pay, your payment, whether the price will get better/worse over time – I don’t really care. I hope all buyers get a deal they feel good about and one they can afford without adding stress their family life. It’s just a rapidly depreciating asset, I mean - a great car!

Exterior

At first, I was a little disappointed with the looks, or maybe “underwhelmed” is a better word. It doesn’t look that much different than the X3 M40i. I loved the aggressive look of the M3. The slotted Carbon Roof, power bump in the hood, and the wide shoulders and hips of the F80 M3 made it look immediately superior to any regular F30 sedan. The X3M is more conservative (stealthy) at first glance. After a while, you notice the front & rear spoilers are much more aggressive and protrude a little. The rear window spoiler is bigger, and I’m not 100% sure, but I think the side skirts are wider too. For people switching from an M coupe or sedan, the side skirts are attached to the doors, so you don’t have to step over them getting in/out any or worry about getting the back of your pant leg dirty.

I’m a big fan of Donington Grey. If you haven’t seen it in person, it’s much better than the pictures suggest. My 2nd choice would have been an individual British Racing Green (if they would have approved it). I think BMW could have done a little better with the list of color options, but what do I know….

Interior

It’s not current gen X5 or F85 X5M nice inside, but it’s definitely a big step up from the F80 or the regular X3.

I like this generation of iDrive and this gauge cluster better than the newest stuff. It’s a big screen, adds touch, has voice & Siri, and it’s still quick and intuitive coming from any other BMW. The digital dials are nice, very easy to read, rev in the right direction, and is a cool start up graphic (if you care). When driving, I mostly look at the HUD, and it’s bigger and better than what I had in the F80, which was already very good.

The sport seats look amazing, are very supportive while still being comfortable, and they’re very adjustable. The headrest is even electrically adjustable! The seat ventilation is a great feature in hot climates. If you are a bigger person, you may find the seats narrow. I’m 5’8” and 155lbs with a little stocky build (not narrow) and the seats fit me well. Seat back bolsters fully open is a little loose.

The Leather/Alcantara mix is nice, and feels luxurious. The black & beige is pretty stunning (to me). I thought I’d do Tartufo, but once I saw this color in person, I was sold. In addition to the Alcantara pieces on the sides of the seats and seat back, the knee pads on the console are also Alcantara. The center console feels very solid, and the cupholders are far enough out on the dash that you get a full-size insulated cup in/out without any funny tilting business.

I like buttons and nobs better than touchscreens, so happy to have an overlap of both. Touchscreens pull your focus off the drive, so I prefer to use buttons, voice, and/or the HUD to tune & change on the drive. Gesture control is neat. I don’t use it much (yet?), but I programed the custom gesture to “mute”, and that is quicker than pushing the volume nob from my driving position.

Also, the climate controls have the “sync” button which I always missed on the F80. They also have a feature where you can set the heated and ventilated seats to automatically come on (independently) at your desired level when the outside temperature is above or below what you set.

The rear seat is comfy, it has a good amount of (manual) angle adjustment and has plenty of legroom & headroom for anybody under 6’ 5” (I’d guess). The rear climate controls are all you need to stay comfy, and BMW provides a small double USB charging plug to go in the “lighter socket.”

The interior lighting is nice, not as customizable as Audi, but a big step up from orange or white! The panoramic sunroof will be nice when it’s not so hot. It’s huge and really opens up the cabin. If you are worried about the 200lbs, you probably aren’t ready for the fast SUV segment yet. Wait for the next M3 to get your AWD enhancement.

On the downside, the piano black shifter, buttons & surround suck. Piano black is just a dumb idea anywhere in a car. Another downside is that the door pockets don’t have any carpet or padding on the inside edge like every other BMW I’ve had (E70, E92, F10, & F80). The pockets and bottle cut outs are huge, but the lack of and lining allows a bottle to rattle a bit. Also, maybe the speakers need to break-in, but I’m not very impressed with the H-K system so far. It’s just OK, not bad, not good.

Ride

Mine came with the Continental Tires vs PS4s. At first, I was disappointed b/c the PS4s are an amazing tire. That said, on the X3M these Sport Contact 6 tires have a good amount of sidewall, are quiet, compliant and sticky.

Makes me wonder if BMW intentionally switched to the Conti’s to soften out the ride? I have no info to base that on, but I can’t understand all the “harsh ride” reviews, especially Top Gear’s nasty review about how unbearable the ride is.

It’s a huge step up from M3 comfort and quiet, yet not “sloppy,” at all. To me it’s just the right amount of firm yet compliant around town (in Comfort). I don’t really feel the bumps, broken pavement, or indented drain covers. Sometimes I can hear them, but they aren’t jarring. The ride reminds me of my dad’s GLS 63 or my brother-in-law’s A6 with 20” wheels. Years ago, I had the F10 535i M-Sport with Adaptive Suspension. (I dumped the RFTs and put Pilot Sports on, but) That was plush to the point of being a little sloppy. This isn’t that, but if you don’t like it, you probably are past the level of sportiness the car is intended to deliver.

Performance

I’m only at 488 miles, and trying to stick to the break-in, which for me is keep it <100 MPH and <5,500 RPM. Even so, it’s obvious this car will get up and go effortlessly. The sensation of speed is different than in the M3, for example. It’s quieter, and smoother, but when I look at the speed, I can tell I’m similarly quick, just with a less drama. The 8 spd is smoother than the DCT, and still very quick on manual shifts.

The car steers flat on quick lane changes, and long 30-50 mph curves (taken at 60-80 mph). I need to get used to how much speed to carry entering and when and how heavy to get on the gas on 90 degree turns, but the grip is there.

The brakes are phenomenal, typical BMW. Not grabby at the start, very progressive, and give a lot of feel. I bed in brakes too, so haven’t jammed them, but based on the size of the front calipers and rotors, I’m sure it stops in a gut busting hurry.

This is not “performance” and highly subjective, but the exhaust note is good. I liked the F80 too, but this seems a little deeper. The startup sound is nice and then quiets to a low deep grumble.

Somebody else will probably beat me there, but I'll have a much better idea on the real performance potential after the 1,200 service and the ECU is fully opened up.

Mods & Accessories

I doubt I’ll do any mods to this one, but who knows. I said the same thing about the F80, and added a bunch of carbon bits in & out.

I have swapped out the OEM floormats for WeatherTech Floor liners and a Cargo Mat with the bumper protector. I do this on all my cars, immediately. The Cargo Mat works fine, even with the raised floor for the spare vs. the standard X3 flat cargo area.

I also added WeatherTech Full Car SunShades. These are amazing. If you live somewhere hot (or cold) and park outside in the sun, these are a great way to keep your interior much cooler (silver side), or warmer (black side).

WeatherTech needs to pay me for free advertising!

Ok, I'm done.

Cheers,

John

Attachment 2099730

Attachment 2099731

Attachment 2099732
This is 2017 ? And was 80k price ? Is it cause it was brand new and dealer stored it. Looks really nice though color looks but like gunmetal which more manufactures should do. Lexus does it
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 12:08 AM   #40
JohnNick72
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswaz View Post
What no photo credit???? Nice write up glad you are enjoying it.
Did you take the photos at Chapman? Nice! Thanks for not buying before I got there.

j
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 12:12 AM   #41
JohnNick72
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
This is 2017 ? And was 80k price ? Is it cause it was brand new and dealer stored it. Looks really nice though color looks but like gunmetal which more manufactures should do. Lexus does it
Not sure I understand your question? My 2017 F80 with the Competition Pack, Executive Pack, and other stuff I mentioned was just under $80k sticker - back in November of 2016 when I got it. It had a manufacture date of 11/16, so it was fresh off the boat.

j
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 12:17 AM   #42
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M

Quote:
Did you take the photos at Chapman? Nice! Thanks for not buying before I got there.

j
Ha yeah I took them. No way I was going to buy it just got rid of my 2018 X5M Donington on black for my M5, was in for run in. Looked good, like a mini X5M. Love Donington but went Bluestone this time around.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2019, 12:27 AM   #43
JohnNick72
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
Nice looking enough, good luck. But, who buys an M3 for comfort?? Personally think the ride quality is better than any previous generations, oh well
There were a lot of questions about ride quality, and some of the reviews (the Top Gear one in particular) that were ripping the ride. So, I wanted to comment on that aspect.

If an M Car/SAV can go like an M Car should and still be comfy on a comfy setting, cool. I agree though, it probably should not be the first, second or third consideration for the typical M Car (SAV) buyer. I'm thinking, "does it go, turn, and stop like it should" are ahead of "what's the WAF of this one?"

Mine will like it fine! So far she's only seen pictures.

j
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      07-16-2019, 12:31 AM   #44
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
Not sure I understand your question? My 2017 F80 with the Competition Pack, Executive Pack, and other stuff I mentioned was just under $80k sticker - back in November of 2016 when I got it. It had a manufacture date of 11/16, so it was fresh off the boat.

j
Well my first impression was I thought was 2020 x3m and thought sweet. Then read it was 2017 and I thought you got it like recently and somehow thought it was like preserved somewhere and sold to you. Sorry just not really familiar with the m models as I just have the x3 xdrive. Lol
Appreciate 0