BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-22-2022, 05:56 PM   #67
g01_jon
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 565565 View Post
Well I will know soon enough, LCI getting 35% prime XR plus on the front side windows and 70% on the windshield. Will report back next week if I messed up the car.
565565 This is definitely a thing on all BMWs with the current Live Cockpit Professional display (no physical gauges/needles). Those that are reporting no change from tint either don't have strong enough tint to trigger it, don't live somewhere bright enough to notice (overcast), or plain haven't noticed. I've got that same tint and I'm like 99% certain this will affect you as well. My car was produced 1/04/22 and has this issue, just as my '19 330 did.

spta97 I tried the coding mentioned above just before dusk today and it seems to have helped, but it's too soon to say for certain. I will update with more info tomorrow. I can say that the code DIM_CURVE_X2, both by name and affected module (HU_MGU), solely changes the dimming curve for the control display (center screen). I tried both ways and with the curve set to 00, 00 (aka no curve) the control display is at full brightness if the displays are in day mode, but the instrument cluster is not. This makes it much brighter than the instrument cluster at all times and it has no dimming at all. I reverted it back to the standard value (1F, C0) and the display is once again dimmable and comparable in brightness to the instrument cluster.

Also, the code DIM_TAG_NACHT_LICHT_EIN_ENABLE does not do what its description says. The displays are still determining day/night mode independently regardless of whether the headlight switch is on, off, or on Auto.

I don't have qualms with the head unit brightness (that I've noticed) but I might be alone on this. The most annoying thing for me is the instrument cluster. If I'm driving home at night from work (heading East) with the sun setting in my eyes, I cannot read the instrument cluster at all. If I have my sunglasses on I also cannot see the HUD.

I'll know more tomorrow morning!

Last edited by g01_jon; 02-22-2022 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 07:54 AM   #68
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Excellent - thank you.

I'm the opposite of you, I don't really care much for my speed (lol) so the cluster was less of an issue. I too wear polarized sun glasses so the HUD is useless in the daytime.

The ability to set the control screen to full brightness was my biggest gripe - I could not see the backup camera often nor songs when trying to select. Now that is fixed the cluster is a minor annoyance but if I could get it back to bright I would be interested.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 12:27 PM   #69
///minh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 m3

Garage List
Can someone school me on this issue as I cannot use the search function or it's not working for me.

I just got my windows tinted with 20% front driver and passenger side. Driving the car home during an overcast day the screens looks normal to me. Then yesterday, took it out when it was sunny and again the screens looks bright and normal as well.

What can I do to replicate the dimming issues that some of you guys are experiencing?

2022 x3m btw.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 12:51 PM   #70
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///minh View Post
Can someone school me on this issue as I cannot use the search function or it's not working for me.

I just got my windows tinted with 20% front driver and passenger side. Driving the car home during an overcast day the screens looks normal to me. Then yesterday, took it out when it was sunny and again the screens looks bright and normal as well.

What can I do to replicate the dimming issues that some of you guys are experiencing?

2022 x3m btw.
It's possible you are not affected, or that your tint does not cause an issue (I have read that ceramic tint may be the cause).

Basically there is a light sensor in the dash cluster. Often when people have tinted windows (or are backing out of a garage without it), the cluster and the control screen will dim severely.

If you don't have the issue that's great. But take your phone and shine the flash light on the top left (I think) of the gage cluster and both that and the control screen will brighten up.

The fix (for the control screen) is to change the dimvariant in Bimmercode which restores "brightness at night" to "brightness". You can then set the control screen to be bright regardless of how bright the car feels it is.

The cluster is still an issue though - no way other than mounting an LED light to shine on the sensor has worked thus far.
Appreciate 1
///minh564.00
      02-25-2022, 06:22 PM   #71
///minh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 m3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Quote:

2022 x3m btw.
It's possible you are not affected, or that your tint does not cause an issue (I have read that ceramic tint may be the cause).

Basically there is a light sensor in the dash cluster. Often when people have tinted windows (or are backing out of a garage without it), the cluster and the control screen will dim severely.

If you don't have the issue that's great. But take your phone and shine the flash light on the top left (I think) of the gage cluster and both that and the control screen will brighten up.

The fix (for the control screen) is to change the dimvariant in Bimmercode which restores "brightness at night" to "brightness". You can then set the control screen to be bright regardless of how bright the car feels it is.

The cluster is still an issue though - no way other than mounting an LED light to shine on the sensor has worked thus far.
Thank you for the information.

Well, took her out and I got the same issue. Both screens dimmed but was still visible to a point. It's annoying and a flaw nonetheless. Hopefully they can come out with an update to fix this.

The cluster I can live with. But I need the control screen for backing out and in. Glad it's not completely dark like others experienced though.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 07:42 PM   #72
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the information.

Well, took her out and I got the same issue. Both screen dimmed but was still visible to a point. It's annoying and a flaw nonetheless. Hopefully they can come out an update to fix this.

The cluster I can live with. But I need the control screen for back out and in. Glad it's not completely dark like others experienced.
You can fix the control screen through bimmercode. I think I put the instructions in the thread.

Do not count on a fix - BMW rarely does that.

I was ready to file a complaint with the NTHSA as it is flat out dangerous as it can be impossible to see the backup camera on very sunny days. Last thing you need is a kid on a bike to zoom into your path and you can't see them.

But, fixing the control screen calmed me down.

Edit - A few pages up but here you go:

Bimmercode Instructions
These were the instructions I used (modified) which I believe Kevin on the Supra MKV forum posted so credit to him:

1- start bimmercode app and connect and select BMW for car
2- select BMW X3/X3M (or X4/X4M)
3- select Headunit
4- select Expert Mode at top
5- select 3005 DISPLAY_PIP_CONFIG
6- scroll WAY down and select DIM_VARIANT (or search)
7- change setting from NEW to OLD
8- click OK.
9- Then backup on screens to the HEADUnit ECU screen.
10- select CODE at top right. Accept risk and let it do its thing.

It will wipe out the 8 hot keys so you will need to remember what you set them to. This will enable the Brightness control to be used during Daytime. It will now say Brightness versus Brightness during Nighttime. If the dealer ever does a ECU flash you will have to redo this,

Edit 2 - I reread your post, specifically that it was not totally dark. I cannot say mine was black but with sun glasses on a sunny day it was nearly unreadable.

For a long time when I first got the car I thought it was my imagination (or vision going bad) but then realized it is a design flaw.

Once you make the change in Bimmercode it will be shockingly bright. So much so it might be too bright at night but I quickly adjusted.

Last edited by spta97; 02-25-2022 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-26-2022, 04:42 PM   #73
g01_jon
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X3 M40i

Just wanted to update, not sure those coding changes have too much of an effect on the cluster but definitely help with the control display dimming. I think your fix might be a touch simpler though @spta97.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 11:27 AM   #74
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g01_jon View Post
Just wanted to update, not sure those coding changes have too much of an effect on the cluster but definitely help with the control display dimming. I think your fix might be a touch simpler though @spta97.
Thanks for checking. The dimvariant fix is good enough for me - though I would like the cluster to be brighter I can live with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 08:30 PM   #75
eatsleepblink281
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Much appreciated Spta97, followed ur instructions and works, much brighter now, was wondering why my iDrive looked dark, especially backing into my garage, just got my new x3 m40i a week ago and dealer installed xpel prime tint, think main reason
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 06:37 AM   #76
spta97
Colonel
Rep

No problem (although I’m just passing along the info).

Interesting how some people say it does not impact the 22 but others are affected.

The bright screen at night took a little getting used to but now I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 04:00 PM   #77
eatsleepblink281
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

spoke too soon haha, going into garage today it dimmed dark when backing into garage, shined my phones flashlight and screen got brighter, so it seemed like it didnt work

or maybe I should code Dim Variant back to New and then back to Old again, not sure how much it would work, wished bmw would just provide a checkbox if we want sensor to dim for us.

Im on the lastest 2022 iStep iDrive software on my 19 X3 M40i, and didnt seen any change
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 06:42 PM   #78
spta97
Colonel
Rep

And you have the brightness cranked up? That would suck if this didn’t work on the 22s.

You can also reach out to Bimmercode. They are very responsive in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 06:24 AM   #79
1BlackDropTop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Alpine White X3M

Checking back in on this... just pulled the trigger on 35% XPEL Prime HP and no dimming issues. Had it done on Monday so fingers crossed it doesn't present itself later as the days pass.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 09:44 AM   #80
Edgar_FriendlyX3M
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BlackDropTop View Post
Checking back in on this... just pulled the trigger on 35% XPEL Prime HP and no dimming issues. Had it done on Monday so fingers crossed it doesn't present itself later as the days pass.
I have xpel prime 35 percent on side windows and I believe 80 percent on the windshield. No strange dimming issues with my dash. I have a 2020 though. So for those that may be curious.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2022, 03:34 PM   #81
JP30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 X3M Comp

20% tint on front windows (2021) but no windshield. Still have dimming problem
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 11:16 PM   #82
Lifted
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC

MY22 with Prime+ 15% fronts / 55% rears and pano / 70% windshield with zero dimming issues
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 08:02 PM   #83
popeye0777
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Quote:
You can fix the control screen through bimmercode. I think I put the instructions in the thread.

Do not count on a fix - BMW rarely does that.

I was ready to file a complaint with the NTHSA as it is flat out dangerous as it can be impossible to see the backup camera on very sunny days. Last thing you need is a kid on a bike to zoom into your path and you can't see them.

But, fixing the control screen calmed me down.

Edit - A few pages up but here you go:

Bimmercode Instructions
These were the instructions I used (modified) which I believe Kevin on the Supra MKV forum posted so credit to him:

1- start bimmercode app and connect and select BMW for car
2- select BMW X3/X3M (or X4/X4M)
3- select Headunit
4- select Expert Mode at top
5- select 3005 DISPLAY_PIP_CONFIG
6- scroll WAY down and select DIM_VARIANT (or search)
7- change setting from NEW to OLD
8- click OK.
9- Then backup on screens to the HEADUnit ECU screen.
10- select CODE at top right. Accept risk and let it do its thing.

It will wipe out the 8 hot keys so you will need to remember what you set them to. This will enable the Brightness control to be used during Daytime. It will now say Brightness versus Brightness during Nighttime. If the dealer ever does a ECU flash you will have to redo this,

Edit 2 - I reread your post, specifically that it was not totally dark. I cannot say mine was black but with sun glasses on a sunny day it was nearly unreadable.

For a long time when I first got the car I thought it was my imagination (or vision going bad) but then realized it is a design flaw.

Once you make the change in Bimmercode it will be shockingly bright. So much so it might be too bright at night but I quickly adjusted.
These steps used to work on my 2019 530i, but doesn't work on my 2022 530i with ID7. Been searching for a solution but might reach out to Bimmercode. I change the value to "Old" like before, but the setting stays at "Brightness at Night".

Can't believe after all these years they still didn't get rid of that darn sensor!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 08:47 PM   #84
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye0777 View Post
These steps used to work on my 2019 530i, but doesn't work on my 2022 530i with ID7. Been searching for a solution but might reach out to Bimmercode. I change the value to "Old" like before, but the setting stays at "Brightness at Night".

Can't believe after all these years they still didn't get rid of that darn sensor!
If I didn’t find this fix I would have opened a case with the NTHSA. This is flat out dangerous when your control screen is so dim you can’t make out the backup camera image.

Sorry I can’t help with ID7 but reach out to Bimmercode- they are very responsive.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 02:07 AM   #85
popeye0777
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If I didn’t find this fix I would have opened a case with the NTHSA. This is flat out dangerous when your control screen is so dim you can’t make out the backup camera image.

Sorry I can’t help with ID7 but reach out to Bimmercode- they are very responsive.
I totally agree and thank you for letting me know. I'll reach out to them and see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 05:29 PM   #86
popeye0777
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye0777 View Post
I totally agree and thank you for letting me know. I'll reach out to them and see what they say.
They sent a link to another discussion regarding the same topic. Codes within did not make any changes as well unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 07:29 AM   #87
Brianbmwboy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp X-drive

How about making the instrument cluster darker at night?

I find that our instrument cluster won’t go dim enough at night. Is there a way do make its dimmest level be darker than it is by about 1/2 without affecting daytime brightness?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 06:40 PM   #88
xBender
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Is the consensus that ceramic tint has a higher probability to cause a problem compared to standard tint?

Last edited by xBender; 08-18-2022 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 1