BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-21-2021, 10:32 AM   #1
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

22MY ride quality

Has anyone had the chance to drive the new 2022 X3/4Ms and compare ride quality to the non-competition version before?

Just wondering if they improved the ride quality, which is one of the main complaints from owners.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 11:35 AM   #2
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool View Post
Has anyone had the chance to drive the new 2022 X3/4Ms and compare ride quality to the non-competition version before?

Just wondering if they improved the ride quality, which is one of the main complaints from owners.
I have the same question. I have to believe we're only days away from getting some YouTube reviews and perhaps some accounts from owners. As far as I know, only a couple of folks in this forum have taken delivery of a 22 at this point.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 11:57 AM   #3
bSwiazzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

i dont get why the ride quality is an issue...you are looking at a street legal racecar so its not going to be a comfortable ride to begin with

if ride quality matters to you then the M40i is the right car not the M imo
2021 X3M // RGSport Midpipe + MSS + RaceChipGTS // Retired
2016 Rav4
Appreciate 8
      08-21-2021, 12:03 PM   #4
M3coco
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by bSwiazzy View Post
i dont get why the ride quality is an issue...you are looking at a street legal racecar so its not going to be a comfortable ride to begin with

I agree 100%. Maybe I'm used to bumpy cars, but this thing has always felt comfortable, even on the shit roads in Arizona. But then again, it's all perspective.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 12:04 PM   #5
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I think you're assuming that the we might be of the opinion that the ride quality is bad...that's not the case. Like most things, ride quality can be improved. THAT'S what I'm interested in knowing about.
Appreciate 2
bSwiazzy200.50
JaeP63.00
      08-21-2021, 12:06 PM   #6
X3MCRN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:

People are soft
Appreciate 3
      08-21-2021, 12:07 PM   #7
bSwiazzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_John View Post
I think you're assuming that the we might be of the opinion that the ride quality is bad...that's not the case. Like most things, ride quality can be improved. THAT'S what I'm interested in knowing about.
true misunderstanding i just see it on the forums people about the ride quality lol

id just say upgrade to MSS and you are good
2016 Rav4
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 12:08 PM   #8
X3MCRN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

But it is well known that there are some big pussies out there who post YouTube crying about how tough it is on their ass. I guess they haven't ever experienced real adversity before if that's causing mental difficulty to them.

That said, I see why someone would want to know if it has improved. Most just cry though
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2021, 12:12 PM   #9
Bufford T
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

My expectation is comfort will be more comfortable and sport/sport+ pretty much unchanged. Should be a pretty perfect daily driver and suit everyone
Appreciate 1
X3MCRN174.50
      08-21-2021, 12:50 PM   #10
///minh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 m3

Garage List
I'm actually just curious if it's better than previous my or not. But I'm sure it's more comfortable than my current e46 m3 as that thing is stiff.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2021, 12:54 PM   #11
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
haven’t driven my car yet extensively (still at detailer) but my short 20 mile drive through Manhattan to LI was pleasant… more comfortable than my lowered F80 but I’ve never driven a pre-LCI F97. that says a lot with the crater ridden roads here, as I’ve driven the M3 as a daily along with my wife and two kids for 6 years (all of whom don’t mind the ride at all).

chassis stiffness is stiff enough, but my one gripe was the compression/rebound tuning under the comfort setting. the car would “bounce” around over deeper undulations. it remained a little more composed in sport. not sure if a slightly stiffer spring would help here. looking at dinan springs atm.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE

Last edited by danniexi; 08-21-2021 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: words are hard.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 12:57 PM   #12
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

It's not helpful to say things like "it's a sports car, it will ride rough" and the like. Yes, it is a sports car but has adaptive suspension and in 2021 buyers rightly expect a decent, livable ride IN COMFORT MODE. Other manufacturers are able to accomplish this.

Another issue is the subjective nature of what constitutes "ride quality" and the wild spectrum of what people like, don't like, tolerate, etc. Everyone has different tastes, preferences, and family needs.

The ride is significantly improved for the 2021 model years. It's best to drive the car before buying to make sure it is livable for your situation.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2021, 01:03 PM   #13
bSwiazzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
It's not helpful to say things like "it's a sports car, it will ride rough" and the like. Yes, it is a sports car but has adaptive suspension and in 2021 buyers rightly expect a decent, livable ride IN COMFORT MODE. Other manufacturers are able to accomplish this.

Another issue is the subjective nature of what constitutes "ride quality" and the wild spectrum of what people like, don't like, tolerate, etc. Everyone has different tastes, preferences, and family needs.

The ride is significantly improved for the 2021 model years. It's best to drive the car before buying to make sure it is livable for your situation.
i definitely get where you are coming from, BUT nobody comes to the dealership and goes "I am looking for a comfortable ride quality in one of your M cars. Which one does that?"

as soon as you say that i bet if the sales rep is good will be like lets look at the m40is lol

all im saying is if you didnt test drive it you are doing yourself a disservice.

if you test drove the car and then complain about the comfort ability of the car then you bought the wrong car lol shoulda considered the M40i but wanted to clout chase the ///M badge

that is all i am saying

no hate all love i just see it on the threads about ride comfort ability a lot i just figure people know what they are getting into for the most part
2016 Rav4
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 01:09 PM   #14
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

A large amount of buyers buy the X3M because they need a family vehicle to replace their current M car that isn't practical to be used as such. Thus ride quality is important, it might not be in the top 3 but it's still a consideration. BMW made no attempt to make Comfort actually comfortable. And there's no reason they couldn't have.

And for the record, I could tolerate the OEM suspension just fine but I understand the complaints.
Appreciate 6
bSwiazzy200.50
JayM40i59.00
6speed_M23481.50
stein_325i25051.00
      08-21-2021, 01:26 PM   #15
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
AMEN!!

Quote:

all im saying is if you didnt test drive it you are doing yourself a disservice.
Yes...and no. Not all test drives are the same. And none that I've ever taken were a 100% accurate representation of my driving style and conditions.

In my case, I had to drive 45 minutes to just get to a dealership that even had an X3M model in stock to drive...exactly one. An X3M Competition. I drove it...and I didn't think the ride was so harsh that it would bother me at all as a daily. But enough reviewers have mentioned this as an issue that it makes me wonder if I did a thorough enough test drive.

Again, based on my extremely limited experience with the vehicle, I don't think I'll regret the purchase in the least if there's been no improvement. I'm also betting that when I switch to an all-weather tire for the Ohio winter, I'll notice improvement in the ride quality. BUT I am interested in knowing if the issue has been improved in the LCI. Whether you think the ride quality on the pre-LCI X3M is good or bad, we should all be hoping that ride quality is improved in the LCI as long as performance is not sacrificed.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2021, 02:29 PM   #16
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Comp BGM / Sahkir

Garage List
I have 2020 X3M Comp. rides just fine to me…I did switch to the Michelin tires as they seem more sticky….ride quality is always relative and everyone will evaluate it differently. One needs to test it out for themselves. I drive in sports plus always and it's perfect to me.
Appreciate 4
X3MCRN174.50
Poffman493.00
bSwiazzy200.50
      08-21-2021, 02:44 PM   #17
X3MCRN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
AMEN!!

Quote:

Yes...and no. Not all test drives are the same. And none that I've ever taken were a 100% accurate representation of my driving style and conditions.

In my case, I had to drive 45 minutes to just get to a dealership that even had an X3M model in stock to drive...exactly one. An X3M Competition. I drove it...and I didn't think the ride was so harsh that it would bother me at all as a daily. But enough reviewers have mentioned this as an issue that it makes me wonder if I did a thorough enough test drive.

Again, based on my extremely limited experience with the vehicle, I don't think I'll regret the purchase in the least if there's been no improvement. I'm also betting that when I switch to an all-weather tire for the Ohio winter, I'll notice improvement in the ride quality. BUT I am interested in knowing if the issue has been improved in the LCI. Whether you think the ride quality on the pre-LCI X3M is good or bad, we should all be hoping that ride quality is improved in the LCI as long as performance is not sacrificed.
I drive my 340 in sport + fairly exclusively so I have faith that the X3MC will feel good to me. Besides, no 5 minutes test ride is going to tell you how all the roads you drive on will feel. Comfort mode for highway fuel efficiency, sport + for fun everywhere else. I only use sport mode when I'm in auto mode and don't want to have the rpms go so high before a gear change in normal driving circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 03:26 PM   #18
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

This "ride quality" topic has been covered many many times and the subject has been beaten into the ground. The crap Continentals play a big part in the ride harshness. And the latest iteration of software for the EDC makes a substantial improvement. I never thought the ride was harsh. But then again almost everyone has a bone to pick about it in someway. To me it's just right and simply wish the suspension was a tad firmer.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 03:51 PM   #19
KodiakEd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 / X7

For me the ride is firm. Not unhappy with it, but was in line with what I was expecting it to be and what I would like it to be. I am good with it for the driving that I will be doing with it -- back and forth to work, short outings and fun little outings to stretch its legs.

My basis of comparison is tough because this is my first true "M" vehicle. I drive my wife's X7 and that thing rides like a cloud. It has plenty of power for what we need to use it for. During longer trips, it is very comfortable (the massaging front seats certainly help with that too). My previous vehicle was a 2014 640 with an M package. So, not a true "M". It was certainly more comfortable, but there is no comparison with the power and drive handling.

I have only put a little over 100 miles on mine at this point, so we shall see if things change, but I am not disappointed with my choice.

My 2 cents for what its worth.
Appreciate 2
bSwiazzy200.50
6speed_M23481.50
      08-21-2021, 05:55 PM   #20
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
haven't driven my car yet extensively (still at detailer) but my short 20 mile drive through Manhattan to LI was pleasant… more comfortable than my lowered F80 but I've never driven a pre-LCI F97. that says a lot with the crater ridden roads here, as I've driven the M3 as a daily along with my wife and two kids for 6 years (all of whom don't mind the ride at all).

chassis stiffness is stiff enough, but my one gripe was the compression/rebound tuning under the comfort setting. the car would "bounce" around over deeper undulations. it remained a little more composed in sport. not sure if a slightly stiffer spring would help here. looking at dinan springs atm.
Sounds exactly like my thoughts on the '21 model I had for a day before ordering.

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 08:43 PM   #21
bSwiazzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

"BUT I am interested in knowing if the issue has been improved in the LCI."

I guess when you put it this exact way is what i am saying

and thats the thing i dont see an issue with the suspension set up

its designed exactly what is was made to do

so the set up or the way it feels isn't for you

the m division are some sharp people knowing how to design a performance vehicle and i guess thats why i believe in it

i think that if ride quality is something you want to change i would upgrade to the MSS suspension. Ive had mine for a little and i like it alot

you will get the quality you are probably looking for and performance. aesthetics are a plus as well

i did not change my suspension bc i was completely ok with the oem, but i wanted more handling and i really like the way it sits lowered
2016 Rav4
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 08:44 PM   #22
bSwiazzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beammeupscottie View Post
I have 2020 X3M Comp. rides just fine to me…I did switch to the Michelin tires as they seem more sticky….ride quality is always relative and everyone will evaluate it differently. One needs to test it out for themselves. I drive in sports plus always and it's perfect to me.
yea im getting michelins once these contis i have go

they suck i do not like them at all lol
2016 Rav4
Appreciate 0