BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-10-2018, 08:04 AM   #89
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palbay View Post
Hardcore BMW "M" Enthusiast can now relax....Proper BMW "M" Side Mirrors Spied on the F97 X3M....No M2 cheapout.... :-) This Car is Production Spec ...minus a little Camo......Production Paint.....Alpine White...Stay tuned for the full set of Photo's next week......Thanks Palbay
Thanks, Palbay! I keep trying to get a view of how they've designed the rear diffuser and it seems we can get a little peek of it here. [selfishly wanting one for our X3 M40i... ]
Appreciate 1
Palbay584.00
      03-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #90
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Quote:
Hardcore BMW "M" Enthusiast can now relax....Proper BMW "M" Side Mirrors Spied on the F97 X3M....No M2 cheapout.... :-) This Car is Production Spec ...minus a little Camo......Production Paint.....Alpine White...Stay tuned for the full set of Photo's next week......Thanks Palbay
Thanks, Palbay! I keep trying to get a view of how they've designed the rear diffuser and it seems we can get a little peek of it here. [selfishly wanting one for our X3 M40i... ]
Quote:
Quote:

Max Well Very welcome....
      03-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #91
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Is it just me, or does it appear in this 'closer-to-production' model Palbay just posted (with the real M side mirrors) they have opened up the breather in the mule camo? Most every other photo (including Palbay's OP photos) seem to show it sealed across. Wouldn't be much point opening up a camo slit for a dead-end decorative only vent like all the models currently in production have... Will be interesting to see if wind tunnel testing indicated the M actually needs a functional Breather.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00
      03-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #92
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Is it just me, or does it appear in this 'closer-to-production' model Palbay just posted (with the real M side mirrors) they have opened up the breather in the mule camo? Most every other photo (including Palbay's OP photos) seem to show it sealed across. Wouldn't be much point opening up a camo slit for a dead-end decorative only vent like all the models currently in production have... Will be interesting to see if wind tunnel testing indicated the M actually needs a functional Breather.
It's not just you lol. In addition to your questions / observations, we know how important aerodynamic / wind tunnel tests are to BMW. In the G01, they sealed the "air breathers" and got an industry leading CD (30i = CD 0.29 and M40i = CD 0.33). Do you also think that the production X3M does not / may not have the signature M fender flares because it would mess with the G01's aerodynamics / CD? It will be interesting to see if the X3M requires functional air breathers and no fender flares to keep that CD low.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 1
Max Well4686.00
      03-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #93
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
It's not just you lol. In addition to your questions / observations, we know how important aerodynamic / wind tunnel tests are to BMW. In the G01, they sealed the "air breathers" and got an industry leading CD (30i = CD 0.29 and M40i = CD 0.33). Do you also think that the production X3M does not / may not have the signature M fender flares because it would mess with the G01's aerodynamics / CD? It will be interesting to see if the X3M requires functional air breathers and no fender flares to keep that CD low.
I suspect BMW places major emphasis on aerodynamics in their Design process, while(st) also having financial efficiency in mind. Perhaps it is needed in the M but not in the other models (so rather than having separate panels just plug those that don't need it)? I would trade a weekend at the Performance Center for a day at their Wind Tunnel facility to watch the G01 being tweaked.

Looking forward to more of Palbay's photos in the near future!
Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00
      03-14-2018, 02:11 PM   #94
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Location: Milky Way, Earth, North America, Arizona more specifically.

I know I'm not crazy, and I EXPECT the X3M to have wider rubber... but don't the 20" wheels look the same to everyone? I can tell the rears stick out more for one, as they're probably wider as well (maybe a 20x10 instead of a 20x9.5)... (see bottom of PAGE 1) but they look wider than just a 255F/285R from a 245F/275R. Anyone know anything about the shoes under the X3M?
Attached Images

"Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak".
Appreciate 1
DCG780.50
      03-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #95
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yllwwgn View Post
I know I'm not crazy, and I EXPECT the X3M to have wider rubber... but don't the 20" wheels look the same to everyone? I can tell the rears stick out more for one, as they're probably wider as well (maybe a 20x10 instead of a 20x9.5)... (see bottom of PAGE 1) but they look wider than just a 255F/285R from a 245F/275R. Anyone know anything about the shoes under the X3M?
Your guess is as good as mine. The rubber definitely appears wider and I am assuming the 20" wheels here are not production but a set that is available to the G01 (699M) and being used on the F97 mule just for testing.

It also seems that there is no suspension drop and no signature M fender flares that could be causing issues with the aerodynamics / CD. Open air breathers anyone?

Grilles appear to be similar to the G01 but are they active? You would expect the front end to be more aggressive than the M40i but I see the same "wavy honeycomb" plastic and slit in the front end. The holes across the bottom are a new addition.

These are just quick observations and will reserve judgment until it is officially released. It would be a nice surprise to see it at the NYIAS but doubt it.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0