BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #23
justanotherx3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex the crazy g01 owner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherx3 View Post
They started building the fiber glass for the TW5s; it will be 1.56 ft^3 which is just right for two of them. Pics below (sorry for quality):
Wow, those tw5 dont need alot of enclosure space. My sundowns each have a separate 1 cubic foot of space for all 4 subs. Im surprised they managed to squeeze two of them under the floor
4 SA-12s?? Super jealous. If I could get away with that size box I'd do it in a heart beat.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 02:24 PM   #24
Alex C.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bmw X3 xdrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
4 SA-12s?? Super jealous. If I could get away with that size box I'd do it in a heart beat.
The box doesn’t take up much trunk space actually. Its custom built for my x3. 4 10inch ported box walled(think 4 separate boxes put together). Each cavity is 1-1.2cu ft accounting port and woofer displacement. Box is tuned to 33hz. 4 sundown ev3 10 with final 2ohm impedance. Im running them off a Audiocontrol Lc1.1500. 1500rms at 2ohm. Subs rated for 2000rms. I believe I had the box built for about $350. Also my installer had carpet that match perfect with the gray bmw carpet so thats a plus.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      02-27-2020, 04:14 PM   #25
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Does this make your interior rattle?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 08:04 PM   #26
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

That will make your whole body rattle!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:49 PM   #27
Alex C.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias1431 View Post
Yes everything shakes. Just the moonroof rattle though since I sound deadened the car. And Ive been told by my friends they can hear me down the street even when my windows are up.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 10:12 AM   #28
justanotherx3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias1431 View Post
Yes everything shakes. Just the moonroof rattle though since I sound deadened the car. And Ive been told by my friends they can hear me down the street even when my windows are up.
Did you sound deaden all the doors or just the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 10:52 AM   #29
Alex C.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Three layers of dynamat on the inside of the rear tailgate. Two layers of dynamat on the rear plate and a border of butyl rubber rope around the inside edge of plate. Also foam tape on the plate frame and red loctite on the plate holder to rear gate and loctite on all 4 plate bolts. Trust me the loctite was needed. At first I somehow managed to lose a screw before I did loctite. Even though I still had 4 bolts holding the plate on the plate mount. Doors didnt need any sound deadening. They are very dead from factory. I did do the foam circles behind the door drivers though. I also dropped the rear headliner to sound deaden up there too but its not worth the hassle. I didnt notice a difference and now my rear headliner doesnt seat up correctly with the tailgate gasket. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 12:26 PM   #30
justanotherx3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Three layers of dynamat on the inside of the rear tailgate. Two layers of dynamat on the rear plate and a border of butyl rubber rope around the inside edge of plate. Also foam tape on the plate frame and red loctite on the plate holder to rear gate and loctite on all 4 plate bolts. Trust me the loctite was needed. At first I somehow managed to lose a screw before I did loctite. Even though I still had 4 bolts holding the plate on the plate mount. Doors didnt need any sound deadening. They are very dead from factory. I did do the foam circles behind the door drivers though. I also dropped the rear headliner to sound deaden up there too but its not worth the hassle. I didnt notice a difference and now my rear headliner doesnt seat up correctly with the tailgate gasket. Hope this helps
Super helpful. The shop I'm working with left it open as an option to deaden all the doors, I chose not to. But the trunk area will be deadened (not sure what material they're using). They've only worked on 2018 and below models, having a tougher than expected time on mine but it should be done tonight... fingers crossed it isn't a rattle box
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 02:08 PM   #31
Alex C.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Super helpful. The shop I'm working with left it open as an option to deaden all the doors, I chose not to. But the trunk area will be deadened (not sure what material they're using). They've only worked on 2018 and below models, having a tougher than expected time on mine but it should be done tonight... fingers crossed it isn't a rattle box
I did mine myself and I have to say bmw really makes taking the car apart very easy. Its all built really solid too. I came from a 2017 honda crv and I swear it was easier to do a sound system in my 2019 x3. Really the most important to sound deaden is the tailgate IF you have a massive sub box. Two tw5 I would put a layer just in case but im not too sure how much it would rattle being a sealed box and under the floor. Fyi the floor latch will need a small piece of foam tape under it as that does rattle loudly. Basically a 2inch piece of 1/8thick foam tape under the floor handle will be perfect
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 02:52 PM   #32
justanotherx3
Private
Rep

Just got the car back and it sounds astonishing. Ended up with a Kenwood Excelon Amp for the subs instead of the JL, and added two Morel 9" for the under seats. The Morel Hybrid 402s have a ridiculous amount of clarity, it's hard to believe it. Even at maximum volume.

Bass-wise, the TW5s sound really really good. Fast hitting, clear - as good as my IDQ back in the day. Output-wise I have no complaints. Obviously not going to win SPL competitions and not even a fraction of the SA-12s the shop installer demonstrated, but you'd have a hard time knowing these are shallow mount. No rattles except the damned sunroof... I'll have to figure that one out.

They did an amazing job of hiding everything. They made a custom amp mount for the Helix amp/DSP, keeping the factory amp behind it. Wife couldn't tell anything had been done to the car until I cranked the stereo up.

Excuse the dust - pics taken before detailing:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 06:37 PM   #33
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Which Morel 9" sub they used for underseat? Very neat and clean installation.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #34
justanotherx3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreye View Post
Which Morel 9" sub they used for underseat? Very neat and clean installation.
Thanks - I think they did a great job.

The underseats are the Morel ADMW 9"s. I definitely hear a difference from the stock underseats, but the change in the door and tweeters are much more noticeable. I think they had to make custom brackets for Morels but I'm not sure. They were a little worried about them being ported (see the stock underseat subwoofer enclosure attached) but it ended up being fine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 07:35 PM   #35
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

My understanding is the sub enclosure is not actually ported. The opening is supposed to connect to the side cavity giving a total of around 0.7 cuft. But I think that's the measurement for F30.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 10:56 AM   #36
Alex C.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just got the car back and it sounds astonishing. Ended up with a Kenwood Excelon Amp for the subs instead of the JL, and added two Morel 9" for the under seats. The Morel Hybrid 402s have a ridiculous amount of clarity, it's hard to believe it. Even at maximum volume.

Bass-wise, the TW5s sound really really good. Fast hitting, clear - as good as my IDQ back in the day. Output-wise I have no complaints. Obviously not going to win SPL competitions and not even a fraction of the SA-12s the shop installer demonstrated, but you'd have a hard time knowing these are shallow mount. No rattles except the damned sunroof... I'll have to figure that one out.

They did an amazing job of hiding everything. They made a custom amp mount for the Helix amp/DSP, keeping the factory amp behind it. Wife couldn't tell anything had been done to the car until I cranked the stereo up.

Excuse the dust - pics taken before detailing:
Look awesome! And yes the damned sunroof. Let me know if you have a fix for that I've tired everything from putting foam tape between the seals of the sunroof. I think I pinpointed the loudest rattle coming from above the drivers seat. Its the wind guard the pops up when you open the sunroof. I put foam tape under the plastic bit when compressing the mesh thing that pops up. It helped a but but its mainly the glass rattling at the seam where the two glass panels meet.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 05:52 PM   #37
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:

The underseats are the Morel ADMW 9"s. I definitely hear a difference from the stock underseats, but the change in the door and tweeters are much more noticeable. I think they had to make custom brackets for Morels but I'm not sure. They were a little worried about them being ported (see the stock underseat subwoofer enclosure attached) but it ended up being fine.
Justanotherx3 - Do you happen to have more detailed pics of the amp mount?

I'm trying to find the best place for my sub amp but I'm not sure if I have the room you do (X3MC with spare tire).

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 05:54 PM   #38
justanotherx3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Quote:

Justanotherx3 - Do you happen to have more detailed pics of the amp mount?

I'm trying to find the best place for my sub amp but I'm not sure if I have the room you do (X3MC with spare tire).

Thanks!
Hey - unfortunately I don't, and not really sure how to take a better pic but I'll try tomorrow.

The audio shop made a custom mount where the original factory amp is on one side (that's why you can't see in pic, it's on the other side of the Helix) and Helix is on the side you can see.

My subwoofer amp is in the spare tire well.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 09:25 PM   #39
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hey - unfortunately I don't, and not really sure how to take a better pic but I'll try tomorrow.

The audio shop made a custom mount where the original factory amp is on one side (that's why you can't see in pic, it's on the other side of the Helix) and Helix is on the side you can see.

My subwoofer amp is in the spare tire well.
Much appreciated! I stopped by Lowes and got a metal plate. I think I have less room than you do but I think I can just squeeze it in.

My plan is to make a cardboard template, then hit the sheet metal with a metal blade in my circular saw (made for cutting metal), then try and make some curves with the angle grinder. We'll see how that goes

Out of curiosity, what type of hardware did they use to mount the amp? Sheet metal screws or nuts and bolts?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 04:13 PM   #40
spta97
Colonel
Rep

I spent the better part of the day making the sheet metal mount. I think it turned out well - I painted it black so waiting for it to dry.
Appreciate 0