BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-01-2023, 09:13 AM   #1
lex97h
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4 M40i

Retrofitting gesture control

So I have a 2023 X4 M40i and as you all know, the gesture control has been deleted from the x3/x4. Is it possible to retrofit by installing a camera in the interior dome light or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 09:38 AM   #2
rob175
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xiDrive30

Why in the world would you want that feature? From past threads many can't stand it, find it difficult to use, and it's software is "sketchy" at best.

Two hands on the steering wheel when driving is the wisest. If not driving (ie: not moving) then your hands are free to reach a few inches to press a button or turn a knob.

I think "gesture control" is a technology in search of a purpose....lol
Appreciate 1
ASAP10193.50
      01-01-2023, 10:20 AM   #3
FCBayernFTW
BMW Brand fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X4 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
I always thought of it as a carnival trick when I had my 2018 X3
      01-01-2023, 10:30 AM   #4
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex97h View Post
So I have a 2023 X4 M40i and as you all know, the gesture control has been deleted from the x3/x4. Is it possible to retrofit by installing a camera in the interior dome light or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks
Honestly, I prefer using gesture control to buttons, so I find it really useful. I use some of the steering wheel buttons less and less.

I don’t think the retrofit is cheap, and you may require other existing features such as live cockpit professional.

I don’t know if this is suitable for you car but it may be a place to start https://www.bimmer-tech.net/products...ntrol-retrofit
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 11:50 AM   #5
lex97h
Private First Class
Rep

Being that this is my first BMW and never had experience with gesture control so not sure if I am missing out. Thanks for all who replied.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 12:03 PM   #6
Tim@codemybimmer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
Someone did retrofit 6U8 Gesture Control on the G01 before here which is mainly just pinning two wires for K-CAN.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1578036

Otherwise, it's mainly a gimmick depending on whether you think of it as an extra tool at your disposal.

I do remember it seemed to be slightly more useful on ID6 compared to ID7 for the 3D camera, since on the former, when you do the gesture for the surround camera, it'll automatically change to 3D view. In the latter, it does not and you still have to manually press 3D view.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 05:25 PM   #7
glennbk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

I don't like the fact that I had no input on the tech. I paid for the "ultimate driving machine". Instead I got a $4000 de-contented machine.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2023, 09:00 PM   #8
lex97h
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbk View Post
I don't like the fact that I had no input on the tech. I paid for the "ultimate driving machine". Instead I got a $4000 de-contented machine.
This is what I am talking about. I was not notified of the gesture control deletion when I took delivery of the vehicle until a few days later when I remember this feature and was told it was deleted in 2023 model year. It's not a question of whether the feature was useless, but rather no mention of it deleted. Had to say that BMW is just cutting features out of the vehicle without letting consumers know. Just a shame if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 01:21 AM   #9
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex97h View Post
This is what I am talking about. I was not notified of the gesture control deletion when I took delivery of the vehicle until a few days later when I remember this feature and was told it was deleted in 2023 model year. It's not a question of whether the feature was useless, but rather no mention of it deleted. Had to say that BMW is just cutting features out of the vehicle without letting consumers know. Just a shame if you ask me.
Imagine what BMW is cutting that is less visible to the customer and not bothering to mention….

I suspect there are more cost cutting measures at play.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 02:35 AM   #10
glennbk
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
Imagine what BMW is cutting that is less visible to the customer and not bothering to mention….

Don't stoke my paranoia. I've all ready created a gripe list and will take it up with a Genius soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 11:18 AM   #11
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbk View Post
Don't stoke my paranoia. I've all ready created a gripe list and will take it up with a Genius soon.
Lol I don’t think it would be paranoid to think that BMW is cutting costs in areas we don’t know about. Heck they don’t usually tell us about the stuff we can see, let alone stuff we can’t. Maybe cheaper speakers, amp downgrade would be targets…..
Appreciate 1
glennbk588.00
      01-03-2023, 08:45 AM   #12
CFonAir
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW '22 X3 M40i

Quote:

The features actually present on your vehicle are on the window sticker. They aren't "hiding" anything. People are making assumptions, and not bothering to check all features they want before they purchase.

So far as gesture control goes, don't sweat it. It's as much annoyance as anything. I regularly accidentally mute or change the channel, and the notification select almost never works. The only useful gesture is the volume change.

I wouldn't spend a dime on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 09:27 AM   #13
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFonAir View Post
The features actually present on your vehicle are on the window sticker. They aren't "hiding" anything. People are making assumptions, and not bothering to check all features they want before they purchase.

So far as gesture control goes, don't sweat it. It's as much annoyance as anything. I regularly accidentally mute or change the channel, and the notification select almost never works. The only useful gesture is the volume change.

Agree 100%. Volume control is the only thing worth having.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 09:40 AM   #14
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Gesture control is really useful imo, and work fine for me. Better to have it and not need it, than pay the same or more and not get it.

So things like missing puddle lights, missing ambient lighting components, no USB C data, etc plus part changes under the skin are all on the window sticker ?

I’ve checked my ViN and it doesn’t show these individual components (which are present on my car), so I’m guessing they won’t appear on a window sticker if missing.

Last edited by avi66; 01-03-2023 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 11:15 AM   #15
CFonAir
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Gesture control is really useful imo, and work fine for me. Better to have it and not need it, than pay the same or more and not get it.

So things like missing puddle lights, missing ambient lighting components, no USB C data, etc plus part changes under the skin are all on the window sticker ?

I’ve checked my ViN and it doesn’t show these individual components (which are present on my car), so I’m guessing they won’t appear on a window sticker if missing.
An option, like gesture control, should be listed on the spec sheet.

Ultimately, though, it's the buyer's obligation to check out the vehicle before it's purchased. Nobody is "hiding" anything. Options are either there, or they aren't, and we either accept the vehicle as described and delivered, for the price we agree to, or we don't.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 11:42 AM   #16
SpartyMD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Gesture control was removed from all X3/X4 for the 23MY. The window sticker will not show this as a deletion because it is not offered. This was in the BMW press release for all 23MY vehicles.

The other deletions across the model year were the ambient lights in the door pockets and the ambient lights in the HVAC thumb wheels on the driver and passenger side in the front and the one in the rear. These were listed in a memo to all dealers that someone posted last year.

The 23MY did however add back in the digital key with the addition of a wireless charger (which was also not available for the 22MY)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 11:53 AM   #17
nord1899
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

I used it for like a day before shutting it off. And have no interest in turning it back on.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 12:15 PM   #18
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
An option, like gesture control, should be listed on the spec sheet.

Ultimately, though, it's the buyer's obligation to check out the vehicle before it's purchased. Nobody is "hiding" anything. Options are either there, or they aren't, and we either accept the vehicle as described and delivered, for the price we agree to, or we don't.
BMW quietly removes it from MY. Pre LCI cars had Adaptive Driving Experience mode that quietly disappeared without any mention. BMW is less than transparent and deflects questions to dealers who simply don’t know.

Of course BMW is hiding stuff from the consumer. Hence, the reason “specification is subject to change without notice”, and unfortunately the rest of the world doesn’t always have the option to just walk away, even if there is a change.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 01:56 PM   #19
CFonAir
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
BMW quietly removes it from MY. Pre LCI cars had Adaptive Driving Experience mode that quietly disappeared without any mention. BMW is less than transparent and deflects questions to dealers who simply don’t know.

Of course BMW is hiding stuff from the consumer. Hence, the reason “specification is subject to change without notice”, and unfortunately the rest of the world doesn’t always have the option to just walk away, even if there is a change.
That word. You keep using it. I don't think it means what you think it does.

It's a car. If there isn't a puddle light, you can see that (very easily) with your eyes. If there is no gesture control, you can sit in the driver's seat and wave your hands all over and nothing will happen. Nothing is "hidden."

An actual feature, like gesture control, is listed on the window sticker. If it isn't listed, you don't have it. Nothing is hidden.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 01:57 PM   #20
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
BMW has to retain the right to make changes if features cannot be provided because of parts shortages. Every car company does. But if they accept an order with a specified set of options, then seems to me they ought to have to not charge for it (doh) and tell the customer he/she can cancel the order. To me, eliminating gesture control is one of the more sensible things to do if components can be used elsewhere. It is an option that has nothing to do with driveability or safety. It is a cutesy gimmick.

When I was at my local Mercedes dealer a few months ago, I saw several cars with stickers showing options that had been deleted (with a deduction in the price). I don't remember which ones they were but obviously MB is facing the same supply issues and dealing with them similarly.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 02:11 PM   #21
nbrewno
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
2023 BMW X3  [0.00]
Is this a legit deletion on all 2023 X3 models? I just spoke with the GM of the dealership I ordered through and he said the only delete to effect my order (that went in last night) was there would be no passenger lumbar support. The joystick touchpad and toe touch tailgate feature should still be functional.

He made no mention of the gesture control delete but I didn't know about it at the time to ask about it.

I just ordered a fully loaded 2023 X3 Xdrive30i and am hoping all it's missing is the lumbar support for the passenger seat...which I could care less about.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 02:44 PM   #22
lex97h
Private First Class
Rep

Was gesture control standard on the M40i? I remember it used to be part of the convenience package on regular X3/X4 trim. If it was standard on the M40i, then BMW should reimburse for deleting it. Sure I understand some of you believed it is useless, but what if the garage door opener was deleted? Would it be any different since it was a standard item?
Appreciate 0