BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-11-2020, 08:50 PM   #23
2019X4RH
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X4 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshxdough View Post
I believe that this sound is normal. Especially when occurring at full lock and reversing. The sound is likely being caused by the tire scrubbing the ground. This is more prevalent with sport tires because they have higher grip. When you're turning at the lock the two front tires actually have different angles to aid in turning, and I'm sure this is what is causing essentially the tire to "hop" when it's breaking free from the tension on the ground caused by the angle of the steering.

My M40i has done this several times, most notably at full steering lock and reversing (usually seems to happen in the morning only, so possibly also temperature related).

It's a little hard to explain but have you ever heard a car in a parking lot pulling into a parking spot and you can hear the tires kind of screech when they're at full lock in forward or reverse? (I can hear this on nearly every Tahoe /Suburban from the 2000's era and some other large older SUVs). Instead of screeching I'm theorizing that on our BMWs the tire actually hops to relieve the tension.
Thank you for your responses everyone

Below is a link to the video of the sound my car makes when reversing and turning steering wheel in garage - hopefully you'll recognise and bypass the usual sensor beeps, braking, tire screeching sounds. Sometimes it makes a different louder sound when doing a larger turn or when floor surface is smooth

https://youtu.be/s_OlDLXosno
Appreciate 2
      05-15-2023, 06:35 AM   #24
Stn0
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019X4RH View Post
Thank you for your responses everyone

Below is a link to the video of the sound my car makes when reversing and turning steering wheel in garage - hopefully you'll recognise and bypass the usual sensor beeps, braking, tire screeching sounds. Sometimes it makes a different louder sound when doing a larger turn or when floor surface is smooth

https://youtu.be/s_OlDLXosno

I know that this i quite old topic, but maybe you were able to find what was the case? I have the same popping sound as on your video (right after sensors beeps). Already checked pinch bolt, but it seems fixed properly.

Would be grateful for any hints.
Appreciate 0