BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-21-2024, 11:26 AM   #1
bobo13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X2 M35i U10

Used 2020 X4MC Running Costs - UK

Hi all

Looking for some advice. I’m looking at purchasing an approved used BMW X4 M competition here in the UK. With warranty being a must what else should I budget for?

Service costs
Brakes / discs
Fuel consumption

Looking at no more than 30k miles on the clock 2020 model with the updated Idrive

Cheers
      01-22-2024, 03:03 AM   #2
ajbM4cab
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab / M240 Cab / M235i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo13 View Post
Hi all

Looking for some advice. I’m looking at purchasing an approved used BMW X4 M competition here in the UK. With warranty being a must what else should I budget for?

Service costs
Brakes / discs
Fuel consumption

Looking at no more than 30k miles on the clock 2020 model with the updated Idrive

Cheers
I have recently purchased that said vehicle in the UK. 23k miles one owner. Sophisto grey with white ivory. Coming from a 2017 335d xd.
Try and find one with a pan roof as this has proven to be so worthy of the extra few £££s.
If U can find a nice one owner well looked after one then that should take care of any concerns over condition. BMW Dealers or high ranked private dealers should also be able to provide you with a worthy warranty. Halliwells are pretty good.
For servicing I have used a local independent with a great reputation. Proven to be No dearer than with most of my other cars. Use official and genuine parts though.
AUTODOC APP or ML performance or even Cotswold BMW. All pretty reasonable for official BMW parts.
My front discs were already showing wear after 25k. Not desperate but will be changed in next year or so. Another common failure is the emergency battery located in the headliner under the shark fin antenna. This seems to stop accepting charge around 3-4 years and will display a message ‘emergency services temporarily unavailable’ or similar. The battery is only £60-£80 but comes with a heavy 4-5 hour labour cost as most of that rear trim and headliner has to come out. However if you have a warranty you will be covered .
Other than that a fairly bulletproof motor. Great S58 engine again proven in the latest M3 and M4 lineup too.
I have changed my springs to Eibach Pro kit. Very slight drop but mostly for the improved ride comfort. The standard springs are notoriously known for the harshness.
This has proven to be a great worthy mod. Around £235 for springs on AUTODOC and £300 for fitting at the independent.
Also fitted 10mm wheel spacers front and rear. Massive improvement on the look / stance. Fitted with the springs.
Economy - I tried to squeeze the life out of the mpg and managed 31.7mpg from Liverpool to Manchester and return. Never again as it was painful. Just an experiment.
When driving as the morning commute allows I get between 25-27.
A more spirited commute still returns 24-25 so not bad over an 80 mile commute.
Around town is a different story as seeing 16-19mpg.
Don’t bother looking anymore, just fill it up when empty.
Great car in every way, you won’t be disappointed.
Oh and save some cash for mods, it will happen 😀. (Front splitter-carbon seat cover etc).
Lastly, if it comes with Michelin PS4s then these are 100% the best for sticky summer use. And absolutely not for snow or minus as I found out. Not to be used as zero traction. Once mine are worn, I will be fitting the PS4s All Weather version.
Either factor in a spare winter wheel / tyre setup or simply swop out for an all weather tyre.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Jnat408.50
M4Lou414.00
      01-22-2024, 04:08 AM   #3
bobo13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbM4cab View Post
I have recently purchased that said vehicle in the UK. 23k miles one owner. Sophisto grey with white ivory. Coming from a 2017 335d xd.
Try and find one with a pan roof as this has proven to be so worthy of the extra few £££s.
If U can find a nice one owner well looked after one then that should take care of any concerns over condition. BMW Dealers or high ranked private dealers should also be able to provide you with a worthy warranty. Halliwells are pretty good.
For servicing I have used a local independent with a great reputation. Proven to be No dearer than with most of my other cars. Use official and genuine parts though.
AUTODOC APP or ML performance or even Cotswold BMW. All pretty reasonable for official BMW parts.
My front discs were already showing wear after 25k. Not desperate but will be changed in next year or so. Another common failure is the emergency battery located in the headliner under the shark fin antenna. This seems to stop accepting charge around 3-4 years and will display a message ‘emergency services temporarily unavailable’ or similar. The battery is only £60-£80 but comes with a heavy 4-5 hour labour cost as most of that rear trim and headliner has to come out. However if you have a warranty you will be covered .
Other than that a fairly bulletproof motor. Great S58 engine again proven in the latest M3 and M4 lineup too.
I have changed my springs to Eibach Pro kit. Very slight drop but mostly for the improved ride comfort. The standard springs are notoriously known for the harshness.
This has proven to be a great worthy mod. Around £235 for springs on AUTODOC and £300 for fitting at the independent.
Also fitted 10mm wheel spacers front and rear. Massive improvement on the look / stance. Fitted with the springs.
Economy - I tried to squeeze the life out of the mpg and managed 31.7mpg from Liverpool to Manchester and return. Never again as it was painful. Just an experiment.
When driving as the morning commute allows I get between 25-27.
A more spirited commute still returns 24-25 so not bad over an 80 mile commute.
Around town is a different story as seeing 16-19mpg.
Don’t bother looking anymore, just fill it up when empty.
Great car in every way, you won’t be disappointed.
Oh and save some cash for mods, it will happen 😀. (Front splitter-carbon seat cover etc).
Lastly, if it comes with Michelin PS4s then these are 100% the best for sticky summer use. And absolutely not for snow or minus as I found out. Not to be used as zero traction. Once mine are worn, I will be fitting the PS4s All Weather version.
Either factor in a spare winter wheel / tyre setup or simply swop out for an all weather tyre.
This is awesome thanks mate.

Love your X4M, looks amazing with the ivory leather.

Thanks for also highlighting the emergency battery, I wasnt aware of this and the reccomended tyres.

I had a quick look at my local main dealer sytner who are charging around £400 for a oil service and £850 for oil, spark plugs and filters service.

This is the car I am eying up

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...1-b7ba22caf3ed
Jnat408.50
      01-22-2024, 04:40 AM   #4
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Agree with everything stated above, good luck with purchase... The gas mileage thing is very real, great advise, don't even look and if you're the type that will, your going to be disappointed and this is the wrong vehicle... because spirited driving is mid to low teens.
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
2009 335XI FBO / COBB / E30
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2024, 05:49 AM   #5
FBF01
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

18mpg here, anything over 20mpg long term your doing very well. Hammers through tyres as well FYI

GONE: RS3 8V FL NARDO GREY STAGE 1
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2024, 07:05 AM   #6
ajbM4cab
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is awesome thanks mate.

Love your X4M, looks amazing with the ivory leather.

Thanks for also highlighting the emergency battery, I wasnt aware of this and the reccomended tyres.

I had a quick look at my local main dealer sytner who are charging around £400 for a oil service and £850 for oil, spark plugs and filters service.

This is the car I am eying up

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...1-b7ba22caf3ed
Looks a great car. Low miles. And a towbar too.
I almost bought a Toronto red from Halliwells. It is a great colour. It was the ivory leather which swung it for me as it was top of my list. Prefer the black in this car than the grey highlighted leather which was in the red one I looked at. Pan roof too. 👍
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 07:27 AM   #7
bobo13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Looks a great car. Low miles. And a towbar too.
I almost bought a Toronto red from Halliwells. It is a great colour. It was the ivory leather which swung it for me as it was top of my list. Prefer the black in this car than the grey highlighted leather which was in the red one I looked at. Pan roof too. 👍
Only thing I can see its missing really is the wireless charging and apple carplay which is a shame. Ideally carplay is a must for me.
      01-23-2024, 02:15 PM   #8
bobo13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Decided to go for this instead. Picking it up on the weekend

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...8-bcf69752f97e
      01-23-2024, 03:11 PM   #9
ajbM4cab
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Decided to go for this instead. Picking it up on the weekend

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...8-bcf69752f97e
Very nice Donnington Grey 👍
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 04:15 PM   #10
bobo13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Very nice Donnington Grey 👍
Yep preferred this one as its updated idrive and 2020. I was reading that the 2020 model with the updated SW has improved dampening on the suspension aswell not sure how true it is though.

The millage on listing is actually wrong and the car is at 23k 1 owner from new with full service history. Fingers crossed I should be ok.

Thanks for all your help!
      01-25-2024, 10:18 AM   #11
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Yep preferred this one as its updated idrive and 2020. I was reading that the 2020 model with the updated SW has improved dampening on the suspension aswell not sure how true it is though.

The millage on listing is actually wrong and the car is at 23k 1 owner from new with full service history. Fingers crossed I should be ok.

Thanks for all your help!
The suspension enhancements were on the 2022 LCI model.

21 had an interior improvement and added Idrive 7.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 11:51 AM   #12
bobo13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

What sort of insurance prices you guys paying in the UK?

I was only able to get insured for a semi decent price with Admiral for 1300 living in essex.

BMW themselves wouldn’t even insure me without a Tracker.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2024, 12:52 PM   #13
themightychimp
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Competition

Hi Bobo, its not cheap…
Mines a 2021 X3M Comp, got it 10 months ago. I’m 53 years old, clean licence, 15 years no claims, only claim in the last 5 years for a cracked windscreen, car is parked on the road outside my house in East London.
£1,500 fully comp with a £450 excess, & was required to fit a S5 tracker.
Double the price I was paying for my previous 2019 X3 M40i which I traded in
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 01:41 PM   #14
bobo13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themightychimp View Post
Hi Bobo, its not cheap…
Mines a 2021 X3M Comp, got it 10 months ago. I’m 53 years old, clean licence, 15 years no claims, only claim in the last 5 years for a cracked windscreen, car is parked on the road outside my house in East London.
£1,500 fully comp with a £450 excess, & was required to fit a S5 tracker.
Double the price I was paying for my previous 2019 X3 M40i which I traded in
Wow that’s steep.

My driving history is very similar to yours.

Which tracker did you go with? Are you able to recommend someone? Someone ideally doesn’t break the bank
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 02:27 PM   #15
themightychimp
United Kingdom
Rep

I think it might be because I live in the hood 🙂
When its parked up my stoplock pro elite is permanently on the steering wheel, the key in a faraday pouch which is then well hidden & security camera primed + pointed. Sadly its the world that we live in, a lot of scumbags everywhere, & the police seemingly do nothing about it. The price we pay for driving nice cars, but it didn’t stop me getting it, only live once etc. It is a fabulous car in my opinion, but, as I said in another thread, an M40i makes more sense in the real world for most of the time.
I used the trackershop & got a Scorpiontrack S5, I think it was something like £350 for the hardware & fitting. Add to that a one year subscription of £150, but works out cheaper if go for more years. No complaints at all & the app is good, so would recommend trackershop & Scorpiontrack if you go for it. Just don’t try to economise with an S7 device though, you pay for what you get, they’re cheaper but they’re pointless really as not monitored.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2024, 03:37 PM   #16
bobo13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think it might be because I live in the hood ��
When its parked up my stoplock pro elite is permanently on the steering wheel, the key in a faraday pouch which is then well hidden & security camera primed + pointed. Sadly its the world that we live in, a lot of scumbags everywhere, & the police seemingly do nothing about it. The price we pay for driving nice cars, but it didn’t stop me getting it, only live once etc. It is a fabulous car in my opinion, but, as I said in another thread, an M40i makes more sense in the real world for most of the time.
I used the trackershop & got a Scorpiontrack S5, I think it was something like £350 for the hardware & fitting. Add to that a one year subscription of £150, but works out cheaper if go for more years. No complaints at all & the app is good, so would recommend trackershop & Scorpiontrack if you go for it. Just don’t try to economise with an S7 device though, you pay for what you get, they’re cheaper but they’re pointless really as not monitored.
I think it will get a steering wheel lock aswell. Seems its best to deter as much as possible. Its such a shame we cant just enjoy our cars without having to worry so much every second.

Current Admiral doesnt require me to have a tracker fitted but it may change any second or come renewal time so I am considering it for sure.

Looking at this one, seems a good price.

https://www.trackerfit.co.uk/bmw-rac...tar-tm450.html

Last edited by bobo13; 01-27-2024 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 06:00 PM   #17
themightychimp
United Kingdom
Rep

That’s an S7 tracker, with one of those you wouldn’t be alerted that your car is stolen. The location tracking would only be used once you alert the control room that the car is stolen, by which time it could be long gone. If you’re spending north of £40k, why save £150-£200 on a tracker that isn’t proactive. See the attached explanation of difference between S7 and S5
https://www.trackershop-uk.com/blog/...SAAEgJ60PD_BwE
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 03:38 AM   #18
bobo13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That’s an S7 tracker, with one of those you wouldn’t be alerted that your car is stolen. The location tracking would only be used once you alert the control room that the car is stolen, by which time it could be long gone. If you’re spending north of £40k, why save £150-£200 on a tracker that isn’t proactive. See the attached explanation of difference between S7 and S5
https://www.trackershop-uk.com/blog/...SAAEgJ60PD_BwE
Thanks for that.

When reading through the features of the link I sent, it does mention automatic monitoring so not sure.

But in all honesty if the car is stolen I dont really want it back, thats why I have insurance and GAP. Im more looking into this to make the insurance guys happy
      01-28-2024, 03:32 PM   #19
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

a bit late to the conversation, but for what its worth, my experience owning a 69 plate (X3) from new and at 27k miles

1. servicing every 2years. £400 at 2yr and £900 at 4yr
2. tyres - Contis were done by 10k rear and 15k front. Went Eagle 5 and replaced the rear again at about 25k.
3. Fuel - average 21mpg since new
4. suspension - 69 plate had a software update to bring them in line with 2020 model. FIRM!
5. I opted for extended warranty at £85/m.....ive only had 2 issues since new and that is O2 sensor twice. But there is a lot of tech in the car, so nothing will be cheap!
6. Insurance just went up from £250ish to £400 (Scotland)

most people still dont know this car....its just an X3! surprises a lot of people!!!

as i said, 4yr in and really cant think what to change it for, other than an M3T, but no towbar, so that is out!

enjoy your new motor
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2024, 04:42 AM   #20
bobo13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzg1969 View Post
a bit late to the conversation, but for what its worth, my experience owning a 69 plate (X3) from new and at 27k miles

1. servicing every 2years. £400 at 2yr and £900 at 4yr
2. tyres - Contis were done by 10k rear and 15k front. Went Eagle 5 and replaced the rear again at about 25k.
3. Fuel - average 21mpg since new
4. suspension - 69 plate had a software update to bring them in line with 2020 model. FIRM!
5. I opted for extended warranty at £85/m.....ive only had 2 issues since new and that is O2 sensor twice. But there is a lot of tech in the car, so nothing will be cheap!
6. Insurance just went up from £250ish to £400 (Scotland)

most people still dont know this car....its just an X3! surprises a lot of people!!!

as i said, 4yr in and really cant think what to change it for, other than an M3T, but no towbar, so that is out!

enjoy your new motor
Thanks the info mate.

£400 for insurance wow im jealous

How would you compare the Michelin tyres compared to Goodyear's?
      02-05-2024, 03:33 PM   #21
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:
Thanks the info mate.

£400 for insurance wow im jealous

How would you compare the Michelin tyres compared to Goodyear's?
i had Conti6 -> Goodyears. Last longer, quieter and less harsh, but that is maybe cause they can run as low as 2bar. Also there were better deals available.

(insurance - wrong side of 50 and with Saga )
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 02:21 PM   #22
Alvin Mpower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

I'm looking at a 2020 X4M right now. 47k miles, 2 owners, executive package and driver assist pro. I heard this car rides very firm, how does it compare to a F82 M4? I find my car hard on bumpy roads, and long drive in these competition seats kills my back, would F97 be an improvement?

I read from Cars and Drivers they averaged 26 mpg on highway and someone above said almost 30, but manufacture numbers are 14/19. Is it possible to average about 23? That's what I averaged in my M4 for the 20k miles I have had it.

I currently run two sets of tire on my M4, DWS06+ is good for winter but performance is poor vs PS4S in the summer. I would say the car is lighter on it's feet and acceleration feels way faster. I had same set up on my 440i Xdrive but I could barely tell the different, I think AWD played a big part. Would this car perform poor with All season performance tire vs summer performance? Anyone running just all season vs having 2 sets of these large 21' tires sitting around?

Thanks.