BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-19-2020, 11:49 PM   #1
dreamerM40i
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

I picked up a 2019 X3m40i a few months ago and been enjoying the ride ever since. Recently noticed that the trip odometer is resetting itself. Has anyone here faced this problem on their x3? Please help as I am annoyed with this issue. Dealer could not replicate and returned the car after keeping it for 3 days. Any help appreciated. I have unchecked the reset option in idrive. I am talking about the trip odometer which is next to the odometer in instrument cluster
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 11:57 PM   #2
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
There is a tick box in idrive to enable/disable it.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2020, 12:02 AM   #3
dreamerM40i
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
I have unchecked the option in idrive but still it resets randomly
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 12:04 AM   #4
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerM40i View Post
Quote:
I have unchecked the option in idrive
That is strange. See attached just in case
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 12:06 AM   #5
dreamerM40i
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have unchecked the option in idrive
That is strange. See attached just in case
This is not the issue I have the box unchecked.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 01:22 AM   #6
Tokke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20d Msport

Quote:
This is not the issue I have the box unchecked.
I had this issue about a year ago. I believe the dealer reinstalled the car software and it stopped after this.
I also had an issue where the obc was scrolling randomly and the adaptive lights function cut out itself after activation. All were solved with software updates.
Mine is a late 2017 built.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 05:58 AM   #7
HoustonEaDo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokke View Post
I had this issue about a year ago. I believe the dealer reinstalled the car software and it stopped after this.
I also had an issue where the obc was scrolling randomly and the adaptive lights function cut out itself after activation. All were solved with software updates.
Mine is a late 2017 built.
I have experienced the same things (trip reset, obc scrolling, adaptive light turning off) - very random. Hasn't bothered me enough to take it in to the dealer yet
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 01:00 PM   #8
Bernie2x
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 (2018) 2.0d

If you long-press the BC button on the left stalk it resets the trip odo, if your auto high beam headlights also turn off I would suggest there is a loose contact there...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 07:50 AM   #9
Campro435
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
I picked up a 2019 X3m40i a few months ago and been enjoying the ride ever since. Recently noticed that the trip odometer is resetting itself. Has anyone here faced this problem on their x3? Please help as I am annoyed with this issue. Dealer could not replicate and returned the car after keeping it for 3 days. Any help appreciated. I have unchecked the reset option in idrive. I am talking about the trip odometer which is next to the odometer in instrument cluster
I have had the same issue. they found that the ambient light control module was the wrong part number and replace it due to another issue. the resetting stopped for a while but has happened again a few times.

I agree, it is very annoying. Software updates have not fixed this for me. Very difficult to get them to investigate as it is random.

Good luck and let me know if you have solved your issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 04:46 AM   #10
Dravit Grey X545e
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

had the same...

issue was resolved by a new control unit (assuming its the box that the indicators / BC / auto high beam button are on, factory ordered, then 4 hours of software upgrade, been fine since.

Problem identified when lane changer indicators would not always give 3 flashes, it was pick a number between 0 and 3, high beam assist did not work, MPG / trip settings resetting as if someone was pressing the BC button. Ended up videoing to show BMW dealer what was happening.
Appreciate 2
      02-28-2020, 03:52 PM   #11
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekelly99 View Post
issue was resolved by a new control unit (assuming its the box that the indicators / BC / auto high beam button are on, factory ordered, then 4 hours of software upgrade, been fine since.

Problem identified when lane changer indicators would not always give 3 flashes, it was pick a number between 0 and 3, high beam assist did not work, MPG / trip settings resetting as if someone was pressing the BC button. Ended up videoing to show BMW dealer what was happening.
I had the same issue, had a nightmare trying to replicate it, but they found some error codes and replaced a steering column ecu and it's been fine since then 👍
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 01:48 PM   #12
smanji
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Alpine White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Quote:

I had the same issue, had a nightmare trying to replicate it, but they found some error codes and replaced a steering column ecu and it's been fine since then 👍
Did yours do this after sometime or from time of purchase?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #13
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smanji View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Intermittently. I think it started after a few thousand miles, but not entirely sure. Sometimes it'd do it a dozen times in a one hour journey, then it wouldn't do it again for a month.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2020, 12:02 AM   #14
dreamerM40i
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smanji View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Intermittently. I think it started after a few thousand miles, but not entirely sure. Sometimes it'd do it a dozen times in a one hour journey, then it wouldn't do it again for a month.
Would there be any particular action that was triggering the reset?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 12:04 AM   #15
dreamerM40i
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:

How were you able to video the reset. I am trying it but no success so far.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 02:24 AM   #16
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Would there be any particular action that was triggering the reset?
Definitely seemed to be related to turning left and or indicating left whilst turning left.

Like i said though, i tried to replicate it so many times and had no joy, but apparently the steering column ecu had stored some error codes so in the end i wasn't required to reproduce the effect.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 02:20 PM   #17
Dravit Grey X545e
Rep

I drove for about 3 hours and just got fed up with display constantly changing, lane changers not working properly and auto high beam assist not working. Next day it was doing the same when I arrived at destination after a short journey so I took a video ...

can't upload here but shots show how info changed on its own...

blurred but shows the issue (MILES / MPG, MPH etc)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 12:24 AM   #18
dreamerM40i
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I drove for about 3 hours and just got fed up with display constantly changing, lane changers not working properly and auto high beam assist not working. Next day it was doing the same when I arrived at destination after a short journey so I took a video ...

Thanks a ton for these pic I will show them to my SA tomorrow and see what he says
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 01:41 AM   #19
dreamerM40i
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks a ton for these pic I will show them to my SA tomorrow and see what he says
Dealer has agreed to keep the car for few days to check this fault and hopefully will be able to rectify this time....can anyone who had this resolved share the dealer name please so that I can share it with my dealer.... thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 02:11 AM   #20
Tokke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20d Msport

Quote:
Definitely seemed to be related to turning left and or indicating left whilst turning left.

Like i said though, i tried to replicate it so many times and had no joy, but apparently the steering column ecu had stored some error codes so in the end i wasn't required to reproduce the effect.
When I had this problem I also noted it seemed to be related with using the left indicator. The dealer performed a software update and I have not got this problem since then.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 01:11 AM   #21
dreamerM40i
Private
Canada
Rep

Thank you all for your feedback and discussion. Dealer confirmed the SZL module had gone wrong and when checked they had 81 error codes. They replaced the module under warranty and I got my ride back today. Hopefully this fixes the problem. Thanks again 😊
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2020, 05:07 PM   #22
Dravit Grey X545e
Rep

Quote:
Thank you all for your feedback and discussion. Dealer confirmed the SZL module had gone wrong and when checked they had 81 error codes. They replaced the module under warranty and I got my ride back today. Hopefully this fixes the problem. Thanks again 😊
From memory that what they changed on mine. Now having issues with ADAS after windscreen change... keeps trying to recalibrate, insurer fitted non-OEM screen which they say meets BMW ADAS spec, dealer now tried twice to recalibrate ADAS but it won't hold setting for more than a couple of weeks, due to non-OEM screen .. but the screen meets the spec and we can work on ADAS say the windscreen fitters.

Not my issue both are saying!
Appreciate 0