BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-25-2020, 07:43 PM   #1
GoodGuyAvi
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80

Question Question about switching stock amplifiers

Gentlemen's i got HiFi Audio system in my 2019 X3. (Its one below the HK)
I found used HK amplifier, which is also from 2019 bmw x3. My question is can i swap it plug and play !? I think it should sounds better right? I don't think i have to re-program anything right?

Thank you for help

Last edited by GoodGuyAvi; 03-25-2020 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 07:56 PM   #2
gugin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I don't think that's possible. The HiFi audio amplifier is connected to the headunit via analog cables. The HK amp is connected using proprietary digital interface, called MOST. I doubt that you have the MOST cable installed in the car if you don't have the 688 HK option. But I may be wrong. A car audio installation shop may know if the harness that connects the head unit to the amp in the back is standard for all X3s or depends on the type of audio system installed in the car at the factory.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 07:57 PM   #3
GoodGuyAvi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugin View Post
I don't think that's possible. The HiFi audio amplifier is connected to the headunit via analog cables. The HK amp is connected using proprietary digital interface, called MOST. I doubt that you have the MOST cable installed in the car if you don't have the 688 HK option. But I may be wrong. A car audio installation shop may know if the harness that connects the head unit to the amp in the back is standard for all X3s or depends on the type of audio system installed in the car at the factory.
Damn 😔
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 08:07 PM   #4
gugin
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I know--it totally sucks. Gone are the days when you could buy the cheapest Camry or Accord and then upgrade it on the cheap to your heart's desire. With BMW (and probably other German cars), you are stuck with how the car was optioned at the factory. Any upgrade that requires new hardware is prohibitively expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 08:09 PM   #5
GoodGuyAvi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugin View Post
This is my connection vs HK
I didn't disconnected the cables but it looks the same if im right?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 12:03 AM   #6
gugin
United_States
Rep

I don't think your photo of the HK amplifier is correct. It seems to show the ASD module, not the amp. See the second photo on this page for the connections on the HK amplifier: https://alpincars.com/en/amplifiers/...8-2622876.html The connector in the upper right corner is the MOST interface (see here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ier/1VnYgsuKRh)

Your amplifier should look like this: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ier/1VnYqbFtrQ There is no MOST interface, so there likely is no MOST cable going from the head unit to the area of the amplifier in your car. But check it. If it's there, then things will be a lot simpler.
Appreciate 0