BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-03-2022, 01:06 PM   #1
Terry3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: All the E9x

Garage List
Center Cap Question - Aftermarket wheels

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2020 X3 M40i and love it. I enjoy doing track days (not in the x3) etc... because of that, I enjoy dropping as much unsprung weight as possible from my cars (ride quality / performance etc...). I will sacrifice a bit in the looks department for enhancements elsewhere. All this to say, I sourced some aftermarket Wheels from an SQ5 (fit was perfect just needed Ball seat lug bolts). Weight reduction of approx 20# on each wheel!

The issue is the OEM BMW centercaps don't work inside the aftermarket wheels. This means I have some aftermarket caps which I don't love... I can't source any center caps that will fit these wheels. I am curious, has anyone tried finding BMW center caps that will fit aftermarket wheels (perhaps Audi centercap size)? Are there stickers / decals out there? I tried google search with no avail (for both decals and actual center caps).

The size I am measuring is below...

62 MM face (outer roundel)
57 MM inner (Plastic Insert)

Thanks in advance! PFA
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 02:24 PM   #2
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

I have some BBS wheels on order and will be going through something similar.

If you check Amazon/eBay they should have center cap stickers that look pretty OEM. Etsy might be better, or you could go OEM (I've bought OEM from Tuner Motor Sports or Amazon for ~$20/each for the large and see the small online elsewhere for $10/each).

The trick is to finding a center cap which will fit your wheels and then using the sticker on top of that. Measuring center caps is a pain because they have an inner and outer dimension.

Since you already have center caps, you'll need to determine:

1) Are the existing logos removeable from your existing caps?
2) Can you find a BMW sticker to sit in the removed sticker's place?
3) If not, can you find blank center caps which will fit your wheels?
4) If so, will a BMW sticker fit in that (BMW center cap sizes I have seen are 68mm or 58mm IIRC so the actual "BMW" part would be slightly less I'd imagine).

You can also see if there are any Etsy sellers who will do a custom sticker size. I've bought some stuff through Etsy and was very pleased - latest was a custom made Weather Tech name plate insert.

Here's a post I'm hoping to replicate for my BBS wheels to give you an idea. No pics though:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1632151

Some questions:

What type of wheels are they? Did you try searching online for "xxx wheel center caps" to see what's available?

Another member from here also used an Amazon blank cap and put the BMW sticker in that and it looked great. I'll see if I can dig that thread up.

Here is another thread with the process:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...go-gt-BMW-Logo)

Last edited by spta97; 01-03-2022 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 02:49 PM   #3
Terry3
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
I have some BBS wheels on order and will be going through something similar.

If you check Amazon/eBay they should have center cap stickers that look pretty OEM. Etsy might be better, or you could go OEM (I've bought OEM from Tuner Motor Sports or Amazon for ~$20/each for the large and see the small online elsewhere for $10/each).

The trick is to finding a center cap which will fit your wheels and then using the sticker on top of that. Measuring center caps is a pain because they have an inner and outer dimension.

Since you already have center caps, you'll need to determine:

1) Are the existing logos removeable from your existing caps?
2) Can you find a BMW sticker to sit in the removed sticker's place?
3) If not, can you find blank center caps which will fit your wheels?
4) If so, will a BMW sticker fit in that (BMW center cap sizes I have seen are 68mm or 58mm IIRC so the actual "BMW" part would be slightly less I'd imagine).

You can also see if there are any Etsy sellers who will do a custom sticker size. I've bought some stuff through Etsy and was very pleased - latest was a custom made Weather Tech name plate insert.

Here's a post I'm hoping to replicate for my BBS wheels to give you an idea. No pics though:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1632151

Some questions:

What type of wheels are they? Did you try searching online for "xxx wheel center caps" to see what's available?

Another member from here also used an Amazon blank cap and put the BMW sticker in that and it looked great. I'll see if I can dig that thread up.

Here is another thread with the process:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...go-gt-BMW-Logo)
Super helpful, thank you!

The wheels are Neuspeed RSE102's... and I have tried searching those wheel caps, but they tend to cater to the Audi / VW crowd (of course). No luck with the BMW wheel caps. I'd agree with you, it is tough to find one that fits as you need to determine if it is considering the outer diameter or the insert diameter...

From your questions,
1. Current stickers are not removeable without some more aggressive tactics (just tried picking at them)
2. This is my question, could i find one that fits inside a 62 MM roundel (outer) but still covers the "RS" logo.
3. Haven't thought about looking for blanks, just planned to cover the "RS" logos. Blank may be a better route so i don't have to worry about them covering the current logos perfectly.
4. 58mm should fit, ableit it may be a bit small inside of the 62 mm outer I need / have.

Thank you again!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 03:21 PM   #4
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry3 View Post
Super helpful, thank you!

The wheels are Neuspeed RSE102's... and I have tried searching those wheel caps, but they tend to cater to the Audi / VW crowd (of course). No luck with the BMW wheel caps. I'd agree with you, it is tough to find one that fits as you need to determine if it is considering the outer diameter or the insert diameter...

From your questions,
1. Current stickers are not removeable without some more aggressive tactics (just tried picking at them)
2. This is my question, could i find one that fits inside a 62 MM roundel (outer) but still covers the "RS" logo.
3. Haven't thought about looking for blanks, just planned to cover the "RS" logos. Blank may be a better route so i don't have to worry about them covering the current logos perfectly.
4. 58mm should fit, ableit it may be a bit small inside of the 62 mm outer I need / have.

Thank you again!
Anytime.

The link I edited into the post stated to use piano wire or a thin knife. It seems the adhesive would have to be cut rather than pried off.

Quick search turned up this site which sells the caps (with blank as an option - assuming this is your size):

https://www.bmptuning.com/products/n...29985532018806

For BMW center caps stickers that fit, that may be more challenging but if your measurement is 62mm, then hopefully a 58mm center cap sticker would only leave 4-6?mm (assuming it is smaller than the cap) in space. Divide that in half (because it is a circle) and it would mean just a slight 2-3mm gap around the logo and the rim of the cap. I could live with that.

Please post back on this thread if you make some progress - I'm sure someone else will have the question too.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 01:06 PM   #5
crst4s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=42
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 01:07 PM   #6
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crst4s View Post
Thanks - that was the post I was referencing.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 02:03 PM   #7
Terry3
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Oh, that does look good! I think i'll go that route. Thanks for the insight!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 09:45 AM   #8
Weechard
M3
Rep
Drives: 2013 MW m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry3 View Post
Oh, that does look good! I think i'll go that route. Thanks for the insight!
Have you tried 56mm center caps? I have these on my aftermarket wheels for my X3M and they fit without any issues.

You can always purchase it through Amazon, try them and send them back if they don't fit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 01:54 PM   #9
Jbh165nc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weechard View Post
Have you tried 56mm center caps? I have these on my aftermarket wheels for my X3M and they fit without any issues.

You can always purchase it through Amazon, try them and send them back if they don't fit.
What wheels are these? Looks good
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 04:25 AM   #10
Weechard
M3
Rep
Drives: 2013 MW m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbh165nc View Post
Quote:

What wheels are these? Looks good
They were wheels purchased off of tire rack. Platinum retribution in gloss black.

The measurements you provided are odd sizes. You're probably correct, you may have to just go with a 56mm decal. You could try the next size cap up (65mm) but might be snug fit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 05:18 AM   #11
Dennisp1992
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:

Did you use the 56mm decal stickers in this picture?
Appreciate 0