BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
4nroots
Subluxator
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335d, E93 M3

Advice needed....having trouble with an employee

Hi guys

I am having a bit of a dilemma right now, and an objective set of eyes is exactly what i need, so I am turning to you.

I am a dentist, have been out of school for 5 years now. Almost 3 years ago, I bought a dental practice in a small town. The practice was established many years ago by the guy's father, and the son took it over for about 10 years. The son was 38 and was selling because he was going back to specialty school. To make a long story short, the son was an atrocious dentist both in his attitude towards patients and his obvious lack of care which is refelected in his work. He was also an ass to do business with, and made my life miserable during the transition period. My main concern was to integrate well in the community, which is made harder due to the fact that I am a visible minority in a very Canadian town. I inherited his staff, and the person I am having trouble with is my receptionist.

She has always been resitant to change. The son and his dad did things the old fashioned way (ie old equipment, no computers), and I have completely changed the practice over the last 3 years of ownership to reflect my philosophy (which is to treat the patient with respect and set the bar high in terms of clinical practice). My receptionist has never been on the same page with me, and we recently had a disagreement regarding her paid vacation. Part of her employent agreement states that she has 4 weeks paid vacation every year. Our practice used to be a 5 day a week practice, but is now (and has been for a while) a 4 day a week practice. So, we told her that her vacation pay would be based on a 4 day work week starting NEXT year, and that we would pay it based on 5 years this year just as courtesy. We have also given her a $1/hr raise and fat bonuses each year we have owned the place (the previous owner never gave her a raise for years).

So, she yells and reacts badly to this, calling my wife (office manager) a hot head. This was in April. Since then, things have been getting from bad to worse. She took 'stress' leave in august, and this week announced she needs another month off due to stress. I really want to fire her, but the fact this is a small town and she is from it, has made me hesitant. I have a really good reputation now, and I am afraid she will try to ruin it. I also wouldn't put it past her to sue for wrongful dismissal. All my other staff are on my side, and think she is acting ridiculously and playing the martyr. they all want her gone too. she is definitely causing a lot of tension at work, and I find it stressful to go to work.

I am going to fire her, but I need help with a strategy. My mother in law gave me a good idea, to ask her for a doctor's note in one month stating she is no longer disabled, and then fire her.

Any other ideas? any lawyers on here?

Thanks for any input guys...sorry if this was boring to read
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2006, 07:48 PM   #2
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
haha its kinda funny cause my parents have their own practice. my dad is a pediatrition and has had several employees under him who have come and gone because of this and that. some have been fired because of their lack of dedication to the job--missing too many days... while others have left because the job wasnt paying enough... i mean they were probably getting 17 an hour... for a 8-6... 10 hour job... i mean 17/hour isnt that much in this area but it is probably above the mean... plus you get free health care which is a pretty big benefits with rising health costs. anyways... to make a long story short... there have been many people working for my father... and when the wrong one comes by... sometimes you gotta lay down the law and tell them to leave.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

You might want to politely tell her that if she is not happy with her position and the way it is going, then she should find a place to work that does make her happy. Tell her that you would be more than willing (unless it will poorly reflect on you) to be a recommendation for another position.

This way two positive things can happen:

1 - You can find a receptionist that has a better attitude, and is more supportive of your business philosophy

2 - You get rid of your current receptionist, but by offering help she is less likely to lash back, and you can expedite her leaving the office.

Its a tough position in a small town. But if you have earned a good reputation within the community, dont let her drag that reputation through the mud...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2006, 08:09 PM   #4
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

give her the boot!
      09-04-2006, 08:48 PM   #5
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 AW 320i

when the other employees want her gone too then u should fire her
      09-04-2006, 08:55 PM   #6
bimmer4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
It seems like you are making a sound decision in firing her. I wouldn't worry about her ruining your reputation. One person isn't going to undermine all your efforts. Odds are if you don't like her, there are many others that feel the same way.

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2006, 08:56 PM   #7
DLJJ3399
Lack of charisma can be fatal...
Rep

Garage List
Sorry to hear about your trouble with your employee.

If you're going to replace her, keep a journal of everything that she does to disrupt the work place. That way, if you replace her, and she files a law suit, you have proof of your reasoning for letting her go.

Another idea is to get her the book “Who Moved My Cheese,” and have an open discussion about her behavior and on how it is disruptive to the office and the rest of the employees. Let her come up with ideas on how she can improve her attitude and your work relationship in the office.

If you are committed to letting her go, let her know why and give her a severance package she can't refuse.

My 2 cents.
      09-04-2006, 09:11 PM   #8
bimmer4me
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJJ3399
If you are committed to letting her go, let her know why and give her a severance package she can't refuse.
That's a bad idea, IMO. You can't afford to create a culture where bad behavior wins.

...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2006, 09:17 PM   #9
4nroots
Subluxator
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4me
That's a bad idea, IMO. You can't afford to create a culture where bad behavior wins.

wow...thanks for the great responses

I agree with bimmer4me. she has done so much to be so vendictive, that I don't want to reward her bad behaviour
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2006, 09:20 PM   #10
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Sounds to me like her having to go is inevitable.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2006, 10:19 PM   #11
The Casuist
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: World Car of the Year 2006

Get rid of her. Life is too short for that kind of BS. Besides, it's your business.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2006, 10:42 PM   #12
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

Fire her! Just paid her what's owed to her, nothing more, nothing less. And she can try to ruin your reputation all she wants, it's your work that built/maintained your reputation, if you're good (and I'm sure you are), you'll have nothing to worry about.
      09-04-2006, 10:45 PM   #13
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I have lived in small Midwestern towns and understand this dynamic.

In my last practice, I employed 11 individuals, and would routinely have staff meetings to discuss immediate, short and long term goals, issues that needed to be addressed, and to offer positive comments. No individual was singled out, so this type of arrangement was not intimidating. I also had quarterly reviews with each and every employee to objectively evaluate performance.

Regardless of where you practice, or who your employee had worked with in the past, she is now a part of a new team that has a different outlook and perspective. The receptionist is an invaluable, if not one of the most important members of your team, because she handles patients, phone calls, emergencies, etc. She is your intermediary and her demeanor will be a direct reflection of you in the public eye.

Any problem with her should be documented in the form of minutes, or written letter to her. There is no reason why she should be "wearing the pants" in your practice. It is your practice! You must be objective about decisions concerning your practice. If you have an office manager, then there should already be a hierarchy of supervision from the top-down, and you can delegate this task to her.
      09-04-2006, 11:05 PM   #14
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
I wouldn't give her a month to get a doctors excuse. She probably knows all of the doctors and could easily get a fake note. Give her a day or two and see what she comes up with and then fire her. If she wants to complain about stress and wants more time off then give it to her forever! Your other staff members will vouch for you. Just have a backup plan for someone to fill her position until you find a replacement. Good Luck!
      09-04-2006, 11:50 PM   #15
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman

Any problem with her should be documented in the form of minutes, or written letter to her. There is no reason why she should be "wearing the pants" in your practice. It is your practice! You must be objective about decisions concerning your practice. If you have an office manager, then there should already be a hierarchy of supervision from the top-down, and you can delegate this task to her.
Well said.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2006, 11:55 PM   #16
jojogargoles
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

hire me im very cheap!
      09-05-2006, 12:00 AM   #17
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep
Drives: gti

comfront her and if it doesn;'t change fire her...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2006, 12:02 AM   #18
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep
Drives: gti

or just fire her depending on the situation. it seems u were too tolerant meaning maybe u were too soft with her. u need to be the boss and lay down the law without being a prick...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2006, 06:23 AM   #19
4nroots
Subluxator
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
we have already done this....we have several letters which outline her inefficiencies, and can prove that she loses us money. what i am most concerned about is that now she is on stress leave, how does it look when i fire her?

what i failed to mention was that things did improve, we were getting along well, until april when we informed her about her vacation pay. things went downhill from there as we gave her more responsibility (which she actually asked for), and couldn't handle doing things more efficiently.

i acknowledge i should have fired her weeks ago, but now that she has taken stress leave again ( i had no warning that she would do this), I am unsure of how to handle this.

btw frogman, are you an MD?

great advice btw!!!

Last edited by 4nroots; 09-05-2006 at 06:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2006, 07:26 AM   #20
bimmer4me
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nroots
i acknowledge i should have fired her weeks ago, but now that she has taken stress leave again ( i had no warning that she would do this), I am unsure of how to handle this.
Don't worry about it. Ask her to come in to discuss important matters. If she refuses, then tell her over the phone. IMO, have a conversation no longer than 5 minutes with her saying that it's not working out and you believe its best for both parties to move in different directions. If it were me, I won't let the conversation go longer than 5 minutes, because she sounds like the kind of person that would want to debate forever and there really isn't anything productive to discuss matters further.

How is it that she took stress leave without warning? Is that legal in Canada? Here, especially for a small business, that is a fireable offense right there.

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2006, 07:30 AM   #21
4nroots
Subluxator
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob
Since you live in Canada, my advice to you would be to retain legal counsel that is versed in Canadian labor law.

i called the lawyer on friday, as soon as she gave me the letter saying she was going to be off for one month. i should hopefully hear back from her today
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2006, 07:33 AM   #22
MrSilver
Judge Advocate General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob
Since you live in Canada, my advice to you would be to retain legal counsel that is versed in Canadian labor law. If you don't, you can bet she will.
QFT

'07 E92 335i "Over-Heating" and "Blowing Up" since 9-5-06
6MT, Space Gray, Gray w/ Dakota Leather, Dark Burl, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW
Comfort Access, Sirius Satellite (Howard is not optional)

'07 X3 3.0si - Black on Black, ZPP, ZCW, Step. - Wife's car
Appreciate 0