BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-29-2023, 11:23 AM   #1
mlitebimmers
Rep
Drives: 540i

"Decoding for no-dazzle high-beam assistance" - what does this mean exactly?

Hello!

I recently purchased a 2018 X3 M40i. On MyBMW Garage, the features and options states "Decoding for no-dazzle high-beam assistance" (see photo)

I know my car has automatic high beams, and that shows up as a separate option on the build sheet. Does this mean I have the ability to also integrate no-dazzle high beams for my car? If so, how would I go about doing this?

I did some searching on this and most people have recommended using a professional coder to do this. But the feature being part of my build sheet makes me think the car is somehow already "prepped" for this feature, is that right? Could I do it on my own using BimmerCode? (FWIW the feature doesnt show up on the standard bimmercode options for my car)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 11:29 AM   #2
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlitebimmers View Post
Hello!

I recently purchased a 2018 X3 M40i. On MyBMW Garage, the features and options states "Decoding for no-dazzle high-beam assistance" (see photo)

I know my car has automatic high beams, and that shows up as a separate option on the build sheet. Does this mean I have the ability to also integrate no-dazzle high beams for my car? If so, how would I go about doing this?

I did some searching on this and most people have recommended using a professional coder to do this. But the feature being part of my build sheet makes me think the car is somehow already "prepped" for this feature, is that right? Could I do it on my own using BimmerCode? (FWIW the feature doesnt show up on the standard bimmercode options for my car)
From what I’ve read on here, it requires several hundred code changes to create something like the BMW pre LCI electro mechanical selective beam (not sure if it’s 100% the same as BMW), and isn’t possible with tools like BimmerCode as you’re not just changing a menu option.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 02:12 PM   #3
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Hello!

It has been done with BimmerCode, but it's not full version. The link below is from the G05 forum on getting it accomplished with BimmerCode.

The reason it is not 100% complete with BimmerCode is because it cannot access all of the modules for the full functionality. When people are recommending a professional coder, it's because the coder is using a system that can read all the necessary modules.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1920688
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 05:08 PM   #4
mlitebimmers
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arRod1981 View Post
It has been done with BimmerCode, but it's not full version. The link below is from the G05 forum on getting it accomplished with BimmerCode.

The reason it is not 100% complete with BimmerCode is because it cannot access all of the modules for the full functionality. When people are recommending a professional coder, it's because the coder is using a system that can read all the necessary modules.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1920688
Any significance behind the feature being named specifically in my build sheet?

So, would something like this work? https://bimmer-remote.com/products/a...ffc725ff&_ss=r
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 05:26 PM   #5
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Any significance behind the feature being named specifically in my build sheet?
It’s mentioned because it’s a option code, but rather than adding something, it removes it.

All BMW G01’s officially sold in the US market with certain headlight options have the anti dazzle, aka BMW Selective Beam, disabled. Hence the “5AP Decoding for no-dazzle high-beam assistance” option code you see against the VIN if you enter it into mdecoder.com or similar.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 05:30 PM   #6
mlitebimmers
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
It’s mentioned because it’s a option code, but rather than adding something, it removes it.

All BMW G01’s officially sold in the US market with certain headlight options have the anti dazzle, aka BMW Selective Beam, disabled. Hence the “5AP Decoding for no-dazzle high-beam assistance” option code you see against the VIN if you enter it into mdecoder.com or similar.
Ahhh I see. DE-coding. Didnt realize in this context it literally means removal of code lol.

So this confirms that I have all the hardware necessary to code "bmw selective beam"? The website I linked charges $109 to code the no dazzle. I used it before to code fullscreen CarPlay and It worked flawlessly. Any other "pros" you know of that do remote coding?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 05:17 AM   #7
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
. Any other "pros" you know of that do remote coding?
Sorry can't help as it's not something I've ever needed.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 09:04 AM   #8
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

Quote:
Ahhh I see. DE-coding. Didnt realize in this context it literally means removal of code lol.

So this confirms that I have all the hardware necessary to code "bmw selective beam"? The website I linked charges $109 to code the no dazzle. I used it before to code fullscreen CarPlay and It worked flawlessly. Any other "pros" you know of that do remote coding?
I used codemybimmer.ca to enable the matrix beam anti-dazzle feature on my LCI, and was happy with the service (including answering my questions beforehand) and the results.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 10:03 AM   #9
pyo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
A few of F97/F98 owners have re-coded this successfully with Protools.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2000794
Appreciate 0