BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-08-2021, 10:06 PM   #1
milehighguy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp- On order

Hello all. I am looking to lease a '21 X3M40i for my wife and she found one on the lot that she is leaning towards. One thing I noticed is that it has a different colored grill and side mirrors that I have never seen before. It's not black and it's not chrome. Anyone know if this is part of a special package? I really like it as it's different than what I have seen on other X3's.

On a completely separate note, I was blown away by how fast this SAV was. I currently have a '21 M5 Competition on order and is currently parked at the port in Bremerhaven waiting to load onto a ship and arrive stateside in a month or so. I know how fast the M5 is and I was shocked how fast the X3 was during our test drive today. Unreal! Should be a fun vehicle for us.

Here are a couple of pics I grabbed as we left the dealership:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 10:10 PM   #2
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Yes they're a bronze grey (I forget the actual name of the color) and that's standard on the M40i. You can black it out if you spec on that has Shadowline package.
      04-08-2021, 10:34 PM   #3
zibbit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i

Color is called Cerium Grey
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2021, 10:37 PM   #4
milehighguy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibbit View Post
Ccolor is called Cerium Grey
Oh okay cool. Thanks so much!

On another note, how do I know if the vehicle comes with touch keyless entry? Is proximity key the same thing? What about remote start? Is that standard in the connected drive app?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 10:53 PM   #5
zibbit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i

If it has keyless entry you'll be able to tell very quickly if you grab the door handle and it unlocks. I'm happy that mine doesn't detect that I'm close to the vehicle, it only responds once I touch any of the door handles. Look on the build sheet for code S322

I don't believe remote start is a thing in the BMW world. I've had it before on previous vehicles; but I definitely don't miss it. The X3 gets up to temp VERY quickly due to a cleaver cooling system design combined with variable shutters on the grill. Essentially the ECU can decide where coolant is/isn't flowing in the motor to aid getting heat coming out of the vents sooner. If it's not fast enough for you (or wife), you can always set the steering wheel heat and/or seat heaters to activate automatically once the ambient temp drops to a user defined level.

There's a lot of really neat tech in the cars.

Last edited by zibbit; 04-08-2021 at 11:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 10:56 PM   #6
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Remote start is available in other models but not the X3. Many people get very bent about this, just search the forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 12:17 AM   #7
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dworkman99 View Post
Hello all. I am looking to lease a '21 X3M40i for my wife and she found one on the lot that she is leaning towards. One thing I noticed is that it has a different colored grill and side mirrors that I have never seen before. It's not black and it's not chrome. Anyone know if this is part of a special package? I really like it as it's different than what I have seen on other X3's.

On a completely separate note, I was blown away by how fast this SAV was.... I was shocked how fast the X3 was during our test drive today. Unreal! Should be a fun vehicle for us.
That looks almost exactly like mine except I ordered with 19" wheels and I unbadged the X3 and M40i. If I had to do it again, I probably should have checked the Shadowline option box, but I'm happy with it as is. And you're right, it is fast and fun to drive. A very important option (at least to me) is the Adaptive M Suspension, followed by the M Sport Differential. Everything else is window dressing to me, but that's just a personal opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 04:24 AM   #8
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

Quote:

On a completely separate note, I was blown away by how fast this SAV was. I currently have a '21 M5 Competition on order and is currently parked at the port in Bremerhaven waiting to load onto a ship and arrive stateside in a month or so. I know how fast the M5 is and I was shocked how fast the X3 was during our test drive today. Unreal! Should be a fun vehicle for us.

Here are a couple of pics I grabbed as we left the dealership:
The cerium gray parts looks great until you try to keep them clean. Good luck

Congrats anyway!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 05:16 AM   #9
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
As mentioned, remote start is missing, but can be added aftermarket, and you can touch the door handle to lock and unlock. My wife’s X5 has the proximity sensor that can be set to lock and unlock while walking towards or away from the vehicle. Personally it’s annoying as every time you are around the car with your key in your pocket, AKA., hand washing or just working around near it, it constantly locks and unlocks so I turned it off.

In addition the model you picked is the sport version with
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 09:22 AM   #10
milehighguy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibbit View Post
If it has keyless entry you'll be able to tell very quickly if you grab the door handle and it unlocks. I'm happy that mine doesn't detect that I'm close to the vehicle, it only responds once I touch any of the door handles. Look on the build sheet for code S322

I don't believe remote start is a thing in the BMW world. I've had it before on previous vehicles; but I definitely don't miss it. The X3 gets up to temp VERY quickly due to a cleaver cooling system design combined with variable shutters on the grill. Essentially the ECU can decide where coolant is/isn't flowing in the motor to aid getting heat coming out of the vents sooner. If it's not fast enough for you (or wife), you can always set the steering wheel heat and/or seat heaters to activate automatically once the ambient temp drops to a user defined level.

There's a lot of really neat tech in the cars.
Yeah this car is for my wife so my opinion doesn't hold much weight. Her RX350 F Sport has remote start now and she loves it. Additionally, the X5 we were looking at had remote start and my '21 M5 has remote start as well. Might be more of an X3 thing than a BMW thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 09:26 AM   #11
milehighguy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggie View Post

Congrats anyway!
Thanks for the response. We haven't pulled the trigger yet. The vehicle doesn't have the upgraded HK sound system and that's a sticking point for my wife. The main thing she asked for was a great sound system. It's also a bit smaller than the RX350 she is coming from and is wondering if the X5 would be a better fit. My main concern is that I have heard X5's don't lease as well as X3's since they have a lower residual.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 08:07 PM   #12
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

Quote:
Thanks for the response. We haven't pulled the trigger yet. The vehicle doesn't have the upgraded HK sound system and that's a sticking point for my wife. The main thing she asked for was a great sound system. It's also a bit smaller than the RX350 she is coming from and is wondering if the X5 would be a better fit. My main concern is that I have heard X5's don't lease as well as X3's since they have a lower residual.
The X5 is definitely bigger and also more luxurious than the X3. It also has a more updated interior design.

Different driving dynamics though, the X3 has a more sporty drive.
Appreciate 1
M40i4me1037.00
      04-09-2021, 08:42 PM   #13
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
The X5 is definitely bigger and also more luxurious than the X3. It also has a more updated interior design.

Different driving dynamics though, the X3 has a more sporty drive.
True my wife loves the size and luxury features and the air suspension “cloud ride” of her X5. I am the opposite and love the agility and pure sportiness of my X3 m40i. My wife was a little intimidated with the size of the X5, but she quickly overcame her fear. If your wife wants to be pampered or your need more room for kids and storage, than the X5 is the way to go. Tons more tech that you can’t currently get in a fully loaded X3. We also needed a vehicle with a 3rd row when our grandson and his parents travel with us.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 11:53 PM   #14
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
True my wife loves the size and luxury features and the air suspension “cloud ride” of her X5. I am the opposite and love the agility and pure sportiness of my X3 m40i. My wife was a little intimidated with the size of the X5, but she quickly overcame her fear. If your wife wants to be pampered or your need more room for kids and storage, than the X5 is the way to go. Tons more tech that you can’t currently get in a fully loaded X3. We also needed a vehicle with a 3rd row when our grandson and his parents travel with us.
I know it's a little blasphemous but the Q5 has all the comfort that's lacking in the X3 and a nicer interior, and is the same size as the X3. The sound system is also very good.

My wife came from 10 happy years owning a Q5 and it was the default choice for a replacement until she decided the new grill was one stop too far on the ugly train and moved back to bimmer. After a week in the X3, she likes the power, handling ("omg am I already going 90?") and sound system in the X3, but has definitely stated that the ride is harsher and the interior of Audis in "nicer" (I don't disagree).
      04-10-2021, 08:52 AM   #15
jacko15
WannaBimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
I know it's a little blasphemous but the Q5 has all the comfort that's lacking in the X3 and a nicer interior, and is the same size as the X3. The sound system is also very good.

My wife came from 10 happy years owning a Q5 and it was the default choice for a replacement until she decided the new grill was one stop too far on the ugly train and moved back to bimmer. After a week in the X3, she likes the power, handling ("omg am I already going 90?") and sound system in the X3, but has definitely stated that the ride is harsher and the interior of Audis in "nicer" (I don't disagree).
Does she have the adaptive M suspension?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 08:58 AM   #16
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 Porsche Macan S

I extensively shopped the '21 SQ5 before deciding to order my second M40i. I prefer the styling of the SQ5, but the interior, although nice, felt strangely dated. Fake exhaust tips bothered me. Acceleration definitely a step behind the M40i, and cargo space was smaller. Ride seemed comparable but I only had a quick 20 min. test drive. Had a rear headlight malfunction light pop up during the test drive which didn't inspire confidence, the X3 has been rock solid. I went to 2 Audi dealers, and they wanted almost $200/mo more for the SQ5, which was the clincher.
'18 X3 M40i Carbon Black/Cognac
'15 X5 xDrive 30i M Sport Space Gray/Mocha
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 11:09 AM   #17
FLOSS M
///M3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
That looks almost exactly like mine except I ordered with 19" wheels and I unbadged the X3 and M40i. If I had to do it again, I probably should have checked the Shadowline option box, but I'm happy with it as is. And you're right, it is fast and fun to drive. A very important option (at least to me) is the Adaptive M Suspension, followed by the M Sport Differential. Everything else is window dressing to me, but that's just a personal opinion.
I ordered a 2021 M40 and in order to get the M sport diff, it required the 20" or 21" wheels. That also raises the top speed limiter to 155.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 11:44 AM   #18
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOSS M View Post
I ordered a 2021 M40 and in order to get the M sport diff, it required the 20" or 21" wheels. That also raises the top speed limiter to 155.
Interesting. I ordered mine with M Sport Diff and 19" wheels, and it was delivered as such. Maybe they pulled a fast one on me.
Attached Images

Last edited by 335dFan; 04-10-2021 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 1
md_m40i180.50
      04-10-2021, 12:18 PM   #19
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
Does she have the adaptive M suspension?
Yes.
      04-10-2021, 12:20 PM   #20
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
I extensively shopped the '21 SQ5 before deciding to order my second M40i. I prefer the styling of the SQ5, but the interior, although nice, felt strangely dated. Fake exhaust tips bothered me. Acceleration definitely a step behind the M40i, and cargo space was smaller. Ride seemed comparable but I only had a quick 20 min. test drive. Had a rear headlight malfunction light pop up during the test drive which didn't inspire confidence, the X3 has been rock solid. I went to 2 Audi dealers, and they wanted almost $200/mo more for the SQ5, which was the clincher.
Yeah the fact that she ended up deciding to buy an X3 (and is very happy with it) says that BMW won out in the end. But it was close. Basically if Audi didn't make their grills all Bane-like, my wife would probably have chosen a Q5.

Also, turns out fake exhausts don't really bother everyone like they do us. Go figure.
      04-10-2021, 03:49 PM   #21
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 750i

Quote:

Congrats anyway!
It's very easy to keep the cerium grey parts looking like new--just wash, wipe dry and apply spray wax or detail spray--prevents those unsightly water stain/spots.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 09:14 AM   #22
FLOSS M
///M3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOSS M View Post
Interesting. I ordered mine with M Sport Diff and 19" wheels, and it was delivered as such. Maybe they pulled a fast one on me.
My mistake... you can order the M diff if you select the 19"s with the performance tire, not the all seasons - which you have on your build
Appreciate 0