BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-10-2022, 02:08 PM   #67
macoutu
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Huh... Just got my 50K service done.

Engine oil change yes.
Microfilter change yes.
Spark plugs change yes.

I had asked my local dealer about fluids in transfer case, diff and transmissions. They say they don't change those ever under BMW and ZF recommendations.

Went for a second opinion to my performance shop (car is tuned). Agreed on oil, microfilter and plugs. Said 50k is a bit early for the rest, even with a tune, unless you are really beating on it.

But hey, it's done so bright side is you are done until 100k.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 11:43 AM   #68
coolnesh
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfuel View Post
Thought you were not suppose to rotate tires on a xdrive!?
If tires are square setup you can rotate, if they are staggered then no.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 12:03 PM   #69
FutureTrunks_M40i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Buy the brake pads yourself online and have the dealership install them. Installing them, the dealership should only charge you around $195 for labor. No to wheel alignment and tire rotation.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 07:21 PM   #70
maxd_out
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
I took my off warranty M40i to the dealership for scheduled service at 41000. I had a 10% discount car that I had received in the mail and was able to use that for the service. They quoted $360 for the oil change, brake fluid change and cabin filter replacement.

That seemed OK and then they told me I was due for change of spark plugs but since they didn't have time to do that now, i need to make another appointment for that. I asked how much that would be and he said about $100 a plug which I noted seemed like a lot and he replied that it was a very complicated process and then, after looking it up said it was only $550.

Went to youtube, watched a very good video on the process then looked at OE plugs on FCPeuro and found them for $67.

That $330 service (including discount) will have been the last service I will have done at the dealership. There is a very good Indy shop near me that has done some nice work on my 2004 330cic so I will be going there for service I won't do myself. I'll be replacing the plugs myself
Appreciate 2
      01-20-2023, 10:36 PM   #71
ST340
Registered
Rep
Drives: ‘16 F30 340i | ’23 G01 X3 M40i

In the Chicagoland area I recently tried these indie guys: (http://www.dynamicbmw.com) Was a pretty good experience on my F30 340. Did good work, great communication and follow up, and they were about 1/2 of the dealer cost for a rear diff seal replacement. That said, they also quoted significantly higher than “value pricing” from dealer on rotors & pads on the same car, so go figure. YMMV.

Haven’t taken our X3 M40i there yet (400 miles in) so I can’t speak to how they compare with those parts but worth checking out next go round if you’re willing to drive out this way.
Appreciate 1
Mavrun51.00
      01-24-2023, 09:49 AM   #72
RidingAgin
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive conv

I took our 2016 X3 into a shop in December that specializes in euro cars. At 70K I wanted the drivetrain fluids changed, the did the transmission fluid, ie new filter, and front differential. They said the transfer and rear differential did not have a drain plug. (Why they did not suck it out?). It was about $750. The X3 has been running fine.
Since it’s a diesel 28d model, there was a recall for the EGR. Took it to the dealer last week, for the warranty work. No charge…. They did a free inspection and everything was ok, except for a rear differential seal leak. No fluid on the ground, but there was a wet spot on the case. They quoted $2200 for the work. We did not get it done as the other shop did not even mention it. At 6+ years old and 70 K, a little weeping is not a concern. I think I
Will order some fluid and check and top off the rear differential. Hell I might even suck out the old stuff and replace the fluid…. I still do our oil changes and most other maintenance except for tires..
Appreciate 1
Mavrun51.00