BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #1
Wreed2050
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

New X3 M40i - Roof Rack Question

Loving my new M40i! Just bought OEM display model roof rack bars - got a great deal but the dealer doesn't have the manual in for me yet. Does anyone know what the exact measurements are for installation? It is on there now - but I can hear a lot of wind noise / whistling. Thanks!

Past: 2013 Audi S6 Prestige | 2010 Audi S5 Prestige | 2007 Porsche Cayman (all three in black and modified)
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 12:33 PM   #2
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

I bought some as well. Got them new from the parts dept and tossed the instruction manual same day as they are pretty easy to install.

When you unlock the cover where the knob is to tighten them down it should have a sticker showing the max distance from the front to install the front crossbar and then the max distance that should be between the two crossbars.

Also, the manual said there should be notches on the roof rails letting you know where to install them. I checked and didn’t see any notches, but there is a mark along the lower part of the rail on the inside which looks to be about tre right place to position them.

As for wind noise, get used to it. I only use mine when I need them, otherwise they stay of the vehicle and in the garage. They are pretty easy to install.
Quick tip, leave any accessories you have like baskets, bike racks, etc on the crossbars and take the whole thing off as one piece. I’ll post a pic of what o mean.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 12:37 PM   #3
Saejin
Captain
Rep

I attached a pic of the notches on the inside of the roofrails and my basket I use for my Jeep. I take it off as one piece with the crossbars attached and hang it up in my garage. I plan to do the same with the setup for my X3.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 12:38 PM   #4
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Better pic with the notch circled.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-12-2019, 09:20 PM   #5
Wreed2050
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Thanks! I figured out what the issue was. I bought a display model at a significant discount from the dealer. It didn't have the rubber strips in the middle of the bars. I never noticed because the dealer installed them. They gave me the manual, rubber strips and keys the next day after they found them all. Much better now - very little wind noise. Barely noticeable.

Past: 2013 Audi S6 Prestige | 2010 Audi S5 Prestige | 2007 Porsche Cayman (all three in black and modified)
Appreciate 0