BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-12-2020, 04:37 AM   #1
teotwawk
Rep
Drives: Cayenne Turbo, X4 M40i, X3MC

Gap in the sunroof seal (weatherstrip)?

Hi All,

Today I discovered that on my X3MC there are two gaps on each side of the sunroof/moonroof seal (weatherstrip).
(Pictures attached here)

These gaps are about 0.3cm to 0.5cm wide, my fear is that since the car has been parked in the dealership's lot for almost an year and there had definitely been raining in that period. So rain water could have got in.

Now my questions are:
1. What could have happened if the water gets in? Will it cause the bodyshell to rust? Or it has some way to drain the water out automatically? Will this cause any potential long term car damage?

2. Are these gaps by design to accommodate with material expansion due to hot weather? If not, will this be covered by BMW's warranty?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 05:32 AM   #2
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Hi there, yes, I mentioned this in my post: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1622961

Check it out. Bottomline, after being replaced once, they gap is still there, even with a new weatherstrip. I have had no water leaks, so I am thinking its normal.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 11:32 AM   #3
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

As MADBMWX3 shared and as discussed in his linked thread, it appears a space is present on a number of X3s (possibly to allow for evaporation in the drain canal which it overlies?). I checked my wife's F97 (I ordered mine without a moonroof), and hers are similar to what our G01s had, or about 1mm (see image from this AM). Guess if it's too wide debris might have an easier time of potentially clogging the drain as he indicated in his thread. If you're at your Svc Ctr some day might not be a bad idea to show it to them to see what they think, but I'm fine with the spacing of hers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 04:10 AM   #4
ShaunM40i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teotwawk View Post
Hi All,

Today I discovered that on my X3MC there are two gaps on each side of the sunroof/moonroof seal (weatherstrip).
(Pictures attached here)

These gaps are about 0.3cm to 0.5cm wide, my fear is that since the car has been parked in the dealership's lot for almost an year and there had definitely been raining in that period. So rain water could have got in.

Now my questions are:
1. What could have happened if the water gets in? Will it cause the bodyshell to rust? Or it has some way to drain the water out automatically? Will this cause any potential long term car damage?

2. Are these gaps by design to accommodate with material expansion due to hot weather? If not, will this be covered by BMW's warranty?

Hi, I have exactly the same issue on my X3M40i. Only spotted it today. It’s been raining recently, but no sign of any water getting in yet. Did u find out if it needs replacing? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 10:56 PM   #5
ghstm2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 M2/F97 X3M COMP

Quote:
Hi All,

(Pictures attached here)

Now my questions are:

Quote:
Hi All,

(Pictures attached here)

Now my questions are:

I just realized that mine is like that as well on both sides. I'm not sure if it's normal but It doesn't really sit well with my as I'm thinking it could be a cause for potential leaks or possibly easier to get clogged if those are the drain tubes. Have not taken it to the service center to see if it's normal, mine is a 2019 build date.
Appreciate 0