BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-14-2020, 04:23 AM   #23
acce98
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M8 COMP

For sure , i will be more aggressive on braking . On my leasing plan brake are covered so no extra cost .
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 04:34 AM   #24
acce98
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

If I were in US , for sure the stock Stock brakes they would be perfect . Generally in EU we are more " police free " , so we can dirve the more faster than US .

Bmw for my opinon should have allow the customer to have the ceramic or some other better brake option as M3/M4 or M2C
if there had been a chance this would have been my option .

Also my father has an Stelvio Q4 280HP . He has 4 piston calipers and it is enough . I don't know if Alfa offering as an option ceramics brake in US SPEC . They must have ...

For the rest , most of the EU " special car " AUDI RS / MB AMG / BMW M / ALFA have the ceramics option , ridiculous than BMW don't allow and offer on the XM series ( X3/4 - X5/6 ).
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 06:41 AM   #25
GrandMasterKhan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Evo9, '22 X3Mc, Turbo S2000
Location: BMW Southpoint, Durham NC. Dinan/Carbahn authorized Dealer.

I Certainly would have loved a Ceramic option as well. I dont think its even available on the X5M or X6M. which is a shame really because that would have been cool.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 08:56 AM   #26
strohw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 Versys 1000, 20 KTM 690 SMC

I haven't seen any reviewers complain about brake fade during their track test sessions. I guess I'll find out for myself when I take it to the track this summer.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 09:52 AM   #27
acce98
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Just to clarify I never drived my X4 on a track and I think I will never do it . A SUV on a track ....
My " problem " is on the legal road . As you probably know in Italy and some other EU country you can push on your gas without the risk of going to the jail like US and we generally don't have police in the street . In Italy the street are small 90% 1 lane 5% 2 Line and the rest 3 line on the toll freeway . So if the police catches you driving fast it is very unlikely that they can pull handbrake the car trying to follow you .
To say that most of the user of X3M/X4 who live in US or North EU Australia they probably don't will have this kind of problem .
The street is not a race track but but who has never pushed the gas on the legal street ?
We have many street like " Pikes Peak Hill Climb " . A road with many curves , brake and gas , brake and gas for 50 Km
From 100 mph to to 38 mph with changes of slopes . After 50 Km belive me , your brakes start lousing the precision . It is normal the car was build for legal street user and not for track or other else .
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 01:41 PM   #28
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by acce98 View Post
Just to clarify I never drived my X4 on a track and I think I will never do it . A SUV on a track ....
My " problem " is on the legal road . As you probably know in Italy and some other EU country you can push on your gas without the risk of going to the jail like US and we generally don't have police in the street . In Italy the street are small 90% 1 lane 5% 2 Line and the rest 3 line on the toll freeway . So if the police catches you driving fast it is very unlikely that they can pull handbrake the car trying to follow you .
To say that most of the user of X3M/X4 who live in US or North EU Australia they probably don't will have this kind of problem .
The street is not a race track but but who has never pushed the gas on the legal street ?
We have many street like " Pikes Peak Hill Climb " . A road with many curves , brake and gas , brake and gas for 50 Km
From 100 mph to to 38 mph with changes of slopes . After 50 Km belive me , your brakes start lousing the precision . It is normal the car was build for legal street user and not for track or other else .
you must be a "pirata" 🤣 lol

Are red light also a "green" light?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 05:49 PM   #29
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Fake !!!
Al the competitor like Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio come with 6 piston calipers and the weight are less , X5M/X6M/M5 come with 6 calipers – Mercedes AMG GLS , same 6 pistons calipers .
Um... I hate to break it to you... but 'pistons' are a pretty useless way of determining brake performance.

Go to Ebay, there are plenty '12 piston' brake kits out there that are complete junk, waiting for people who thinking '12' brakes better than '6'.

I completely understand what you're doing in Europe. I'm from there as well and it's like Mad Max on the highways, a very wonderful thing I might add... in the US it is incredible how repressed driving is, yet here is where lots of people talking to me about 0-60 times and 'performance'.

Anyway, your problem is that you are driving an SUV like a sports car. Next time buy a Quattroformaggio and -if it doesn't break down- come tell us how well it took that use.
Car and Driver does a 'Lightning Lap' every year at VIR, a racetrack. Although they are running the PG-13 version of the course, heavy cars end up with mushy brake pedals. There is no way to fix that.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 01:28 AM   #30
acce98
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

On Ebay you can find mostly only Chinese applications . Outside they looks very good but they don't work as well .
You must buy Brembo - AP or some other US serious manufactures companys .
I had on my garage many performace car as RS4 - C63 AMG - TT RS etc etc and never had any problem on brakes . None of these were equipped with Ceramics brakes , but no issue .

To update the X3/X4 brakes systems we don't have many sulutions :

1) Buy if available a permormace ( Brembo GT ) new calipers and brake rotors but cost will be very hight
2) Try to find a new better calipers . equally expensive but less than a full systems .

Personally I don't care about 0-60 , the most important for my opionion is the torque and the chassis . You can have 0-60 in 2 second , but if you have a very bad chassis at the first stop or the first curve you are dead .
Before increase the HP , you must upgrade all the chassis and after if necessary increase HP .

The BMW dealer told me the same ( you are driving an SUV like a sports car ) .
My answere was : If BMW have created a SUV with 510hp they had to think that maybe it would also have been used in a sporty way .
Next time before to buy this kind of car , the marketing should say ( Car is good only for 0-60 only ) if you like driving you must buy M2/M3/M4 etc etc , but be carefull only with Ceramics Brake option.

( Car and Driver does a 'Lightning Lap' every year at VIR, a racetrack. Although they are running the PG-13 version of the course, heavy cars end up with mushy brake pedals. There is no way to fix that. )

Let's answer it why it happens ? Because they don't

I'm not complain about the brakes perfomrace , they do the job , but when the rotors become " oval " the daily driving becomes veryannoying
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 05:30 AM   #31
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheusBimmer View Post

I've met him and driven those roads myself for years. Yes on both accounts. A stop sign in Italy is merely a suggestion to yield. And yet they have so few car accidents...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 08:47 PM   #32
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheusBimmer View Post

I've met him and driven those roads myself for years. Yes on both accounts. A stop sign in Italy is merely a suggestion to yield. And yet they have so few car accidents...
I came across many traffic cameras in most metropolitan areas in Italy. Can't run the red lights anymore it seems 😉.

If you are comparing Italy vs States, it is not a fair comparison as in the States everyone is allowed to drive with barely any actual driving education. I know Europe has much stricter standard because the population density is much higher than the States. In the States everyone is allowed to drive because long distances need to be covered and poor public transportation. So poor driving education in the States = more accidents for poor awareness of roads as most people have not been taught properly. It is no surprise European countries don't recognize US driving license for a one to one exchange.

If you were to compare Italy and Germany, I say Italians will have a much higher accident rate. Haven't done any research though just a hunch and perhaps perception 😜. Correct me if I am wrong.

In any case, if you can drive like a "pirata" and do not hurt anyone or cause any accidents, hey good for you. 😉. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 01:55 AM   #33
acce98
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Solved, I have found a EU company .The provide me 6 piston Brembo calipers and pads with bracelet for X3/X4 at 1.450 EUR ( Blu color as stock ) .
The calipers are new . They suggest me to change also the brake rotors like the Brembo GT but the price will be more than double .
For my need 6 Piston is the good compromise .
Waiting to receive the goods an install it .
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 02:38 AM   #34
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

drove mine on a race track for two days. no issues at all with the brakes, all road test and track test I have seen are the same.
      05-29-2020, 03:47 AM   #35
acce98
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
drove mine on a race track for two days. no issues at all with the brakes, all road test and track test I have seen are the same.
Good for you ! My never touched the track only public street ...
In my life I always had problem with AUDI and BMW never with AMG

Always purchased 6 Piston Brake and always solved the problem . Let's hope to solve again this time .
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 03:37 PM   #36
acce98
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Hi guys , I'm waiting for DHL , got a good deal for a pair of NEW M5 F90 front calipers and pads .
Now I need to find out if the calipers are plug and play considering that the size of the brake discs of the M5 F90 are same as our car or I must find some good mechanical company that can produce for me some adapter from F90 to F98 .

Would you think that the caliper will be plug and play ?

On the web I found some company can supply the brake adaptor for G30/G31/G32/G11/G12 but unfortunately they don't have nothing for X3/X4 G01/G02 or F97/F98

Thank's for some suggestion and help
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 03:46 PM   #37
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Hi guys , I'm waiting for DHL , got a good deal for a pair of NEW M5 F90 front calipers and pads .
Now I need to find out if the calipers are plug and play considering that the size of the brake discs of the M5 F90 are same as our car or I must find some good mechanical company that can produce for me some adapter from F90 to F98 .

On the web I found some company can supply the brake adaptor for G30/G31/G32/G11/G12 but unfortunately they don't have nothing for X3/X4 G01/G02 or F97/F98

How much did you pay?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 03:48 PM   #38
acce98
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:

How much did you pay?
EURO 1.700,00. ( US 1.500,00 ) for the KIT as on photo in my previous post .

I think it is a good deal . The goods come new with official invoice so no any strange parts
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 05:53 PM   #39
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by knepsterd View Post
I think the question was more about fade and track use.
On a 2 tonne SUV....

Throttle house seemed to rag it round the track at launch with no issues...
      07-14-2020, 12:49 AM   #40
acce98
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Finally M5/M8 are on my X4MC.
I didn't test yet al the new performance.
All the systems looks more " enjoyable " . The brake are less aggressive than the stock but when you push the brake pedal you feel more safe . My are personal feelings, I'm waiting to do 1000 km in order to break-in the new stock rotors and pads .

The callipers are great , you need also new adapters to install it . You can use also the stock M5/M8 brake adapter , but you need to machinery them and at the end the cost is same as the new specific adaptor .
My calipers and pads was news , on ebay you can find some used calipers , but they supply them without the stock adapters and as far as I know you can't purchase them from BMW .

Brembo GT for sure are better , but cost to much for my need .
This for me is the best solution.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
dhurng407.00
AlexFL7833.00
      07-16-2020, 03:02 PM   #41
GrandMasterKhan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Evo9, '22 X3Mc, Turbo S2000
Location: BMW Southpoint, Durham NC. Dinan/Carbahn authorized Dealer.

I will be very curious how the car reacts under very hard braking when the ABS kicks in. Please report back!

they look BADASS!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 11:42 PM   #42
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
Quote:
Finally M5/M8 are on my X4MC.
I didn't test yet al the new performance.
All the systems looks more " enjoyable " . The brake are less aggressive than the stock but when you push the brake pedal you feel more safe . My are personal feelings, I'm waiting to do 1000 km in order to break-in the new stock rotors and pads .

The callipers are great , you need also new adapters to install it . You can use also the stock M5/M8 brake adapter , but you need to machinery them and at the end the cost is same as the new specific adaptor .
My calipers and pads was news , on ebay you can find some used calipers , but they supply them without the stock adapters and as far as I know you can't purchase them from BMW .

Brembo GT for sure are better , but cost to much for my need .
This for me is the best solution.
Do you have any side by side pics of the pads/calipers by any chance?!?!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 12:49 AM   #43
acce98
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

No any problem or other issue in respect to the stock calipers . I made some test , the Brake looks more smoother and strong . My feelings that you have to push harder the foot pedal in respect to the stock brakes . I feel really more safe . Maybe is just a mental factor ....
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 12:54 AM   #44
acce98
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Nope I'm sorry , this are the only pics I have ..
If you are looking to do the same job , you can use the stock adapters of M5/M8 , but you need to machinery them . Unfortunately most of the used calipers on ebay come with out the O.E. adapters .
The company have realized for the customers e new set of adapterts .
Appreciate 0