BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-07-2020, 04:38 PM   #67
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
LOL I know someone who broke on the street, and I know another guy who revs high as hell and hasn't broken. The guy on the street was just going through a bad wheel hop. They had done a few passes already on BM3 successfully, then decided to try another tune called MHD. He rev'ed out as close to 3k as he could he mentioned and bam!
Maybe too much boost off that pull, maybe over boost, maybe was just going to happen who knows. ltym5 and my car are making more power than the 2 cases of some drivetrain damage, it could be or is when the tires are slipping and hooks...
Thanks for sharing, FSociety . I had PM'd another experienced Driver on Strips, and it was shared in a similar fashion, that if the wheels are spinning and then suddenly grab, especially with modified power, that is where the issues will most likely arise. Not the track surface. And if one is at higher RPMs when launching (through mods changing the LC rev limit), then it makes sense there will be more force transferred throughout when it grabs.

Would think if we can figure out our own track's characteristics so our wheels don't spin then suddenly grab (by lowering tire psi), then it would seem this should lessen the dynamic force? That's my plan for next time out. Will be interesting to see what forza1976 runs tonight at Bandimere.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 04:45 PM   #68
YasM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Thanks for sharing, FSociety . I had PM'd another experienced Driver on Strips, and it was shared in a similar fashion, that if the wheels are spinning and then suddenly grab, especially with modified power, that is where the issues will most likely arise. Not the track surface. And if one is at higher RPMs when launching (through mods changing the LC rev limit), then it makes sense there will be more force transferred throughout when it grabs.

Would think if we can figure out our own track's characteristics so our wheels don't spin then suddenly grab (by lowering tire psi), then it would seem this should lessen the dynamic force? That's my plan for next time out. Will be interesting to see what forza1976 runs tonight at Bandimere.
The track surface still increases the risk as there is increased traction. Spinning and hooking is very hard on parts and so is dead hooking. Its the nature of drag racing.

As far as figuring out your tracks characteristics so you dont spin and hook is virtually impossible without testing. As track conditions constantly change. Even at the same track the conditions change throughout the day, so if you had 1 setup @ 9am in the morning, by 2pm it may change due to many many variable. The amount of prep, if you are lined up in the groove, how rubbered in the track is, if anyone dragged water up from the waterbox, the surface temp of the asphalt etc etc are all just a few things that will have an effect when drag racing. It varies all the time. Unfortunately there is no 1 set formula to prevent this that is repeatable. I wish it were that easy, but in reality it is not.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 04:50 PM   #69
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by YasM3 View Post
The track surface still increases the risk as there is increased traction. Spinning and hooking is very hard on parts and so is dead hooking. Its the nature of drag racing.

As far as figuring out your tracks characteristics so you dont spin and hook is virtually impossible without testing. As track conditions constantly change. Even at the same track the conditions change throughout the day, so if you had 1 setup @ 9am in the morning, by 2pm it may change due to many many variable. The amount of prep, if you are lined up in the groove, how rubbered in the track is, if anyone dragged water up from the waterbox, the surface temp of the asphalt etc etc are all just a few things that will have an effect when drag racing. It varies all the time. Unfortunately there is no 1 set formula to prevent this that is repeatable. I wish it were that easy, but in reality it is not.
We're pretty much in agreement here, YasM3 , so the only issue I must respectfully suggest, is that there are a number of street surfaces with coefficients of friction designed for street tires which may actually be higher than a well-groomed Drag Strip which is designed for slicks and drag radials.

Again, we're good - not debating the concept, but we just have a different slant on the Physics at the tire-surface interface and the forces at play. Thanks for sharing your input.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 05:19 PM   #70
YasM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
We're pretty much in agreement here, YasM3 , so the only issue I must respectfully suggest, is that there are a number of street surfaces with coefficients of friction designed for street tires which may actually be higher than a well-groomed Drag Strip which is designed for slicks and drag radials.

Again, we're good - not debating the concept, but we just have a different slant on the Physics at the tire-surface interface and the forces at play. Thanks for sharing your input.
Ohh trust me. I am not arguing or intending to. I am just sharing real life information about drag racing and the surface. Even though alot of street tires are not intended for drag racing. Adding traction compound regardless of the tire compound will aid in enhance grip and add to the risk of parts breakage.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 07:10 PM   #71
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Just too much heat tonight boys. Can't build much boost. Hoping the temp drops a bit more.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-07-2020, 07:12 PM   #72
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
The fan is a joke btw
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 07:25 PM   #73
YasM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Just too much heat tonight boys. Can't build much boost. Hoping the temp drops a bit more.

EWWWW that DA! RIP lol
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 09:35 PM   #74
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by YasM3 View Post
The main difference between street and track is a drag strip is prepped with traction compound. Its sticky as hell. If you tried to walk on it, its extremely tacky to the point your feet can stick to it.
Good deal. Thanks.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 05:01 PM   #75
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
The fan is a joke btw
That's why I hit the appreciate button.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 10:59 AM   #76
ltym5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Hmmmh... trying to figure how launching at a sanctioned Strip with a groomed surface vs. on a street using Dragy to record would produce more risk? The performance pressure is definitely there at a strip as the conditions are more restrictive -lots of hobbyists and spectators and you can't do infinite number of runs, but the Physics are the same. Do you know anything about the tire psi they were running?
He said his fronts were 33psi and rears were 31psi.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4755.50
      04-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #77
NebraskaM3
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 e93

I think this is one of the only pages that’s claims world records off dragy times. I ran my stage 1 e30 x3m w/ street tires much faster on the street than I did the track. My friend with a trackhawk said the same thing happens with street tires at the strip. The fastest I could muster off an 1/8 at the strip was 7.3235 at 100.22.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 07:32 AM   #78
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

“Ran Múltiples in May & June
- 11.1@122-123 STG1 93 (with and without E15-E20)“

Does that seem to be the limit for pump 93 ?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 07:57 PM   #79
MVPMotoring
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 22' X3M, 21 G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post

For BM3 OTS yes, not sure what a custom pump map runs
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 07:59 PM   #80
MVPMotoring
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 22' X3M, 21 G82

Quote:

On the street so far, I am trying to set up a track date locally there will be a few of us on different setups to see what we can achieve where grip won't be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPMotoring View Post
That's right
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 09:38 PM   #81
Jiovanny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Quote:

On the street so far, I am trying to set up a track date locally there will be a few of us on different setups to see what we can achieve where grip won't be a problem.

Quote:
That's right
i did 10.9 on BM3 stage 1 93 tune on the street
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50