BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #1101
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzalad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Isn't ASD only found in M40i or M40d?
ASD as in Active Sound Design?

I think it goes into other models too.
My 30d definitely doesn't sound like a diesel from the inside.
Not sure whether it's Harman Kardon /region specific.

Had a look on RealOEM and it seems that the part that's on mine is available on other models too?

The box in the back looks pretty similar to the one on my M135i which definitely did have ASD (on top of a pre-OPF & EU sound regulations exhaust).
Hmmm... I know the 4 cylinder engines (e.g. 30i) don't get ASD, and the M40i/M40d have it. Really not sure about 30d which has a 6 cylinder diesel...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 06:27 PM   #1102
muzzalad
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 530d xDrive Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Hmmm... I know the 4 cylinder engines (e.g. 30i) don't get ASD, and the M40i/M40d have it. Really not sure about 30d which has a 6 cylinder diesel...
It's the same base B57 as the M40d but from what I understand a different turbo unit and tune.

I honestly don't know. If it's not ASD, then BMW have done an absolutely epic job of making a 6 cylinder diesel engine sound like a 1980s Rover 3.5 Petrol V8.

30 odd years might affect memories, but swear it sounds pretty similar to my dad's 1984 Range Rover.
2015 BMW M135i (F20)
Instagram SanRemoGreen_5Touring
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 06:57 PM   #1103
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
You should not be able to arm the alarm with it plugged in. I couldn't, until I coded that thing off in the FZD2 ECU.

But remember that it will be powered constantly when parked, draining your battery. As discussed in other threads.

If parking only short times, should be okay to leave it plugged in.
I know that over time with the OBD reader plugged in, it would drain the battery.
But as soon as I locked the doors, the alarm went off. I then unlocked the car, the alarm then stopped sounding. The alarm is pretty loud when you're standing right near the car. Didn't want to try that again.
Maybe it's normal for it to act that way in the US?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 07:11 PM   #1104
gugin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

My car behaves the same way. When I leave the UniCarScan plugged in the OBD port and lock the car, the alarm goes off after maybe 20 seconds. This only occurs if I lock the car. If I leave the UniCarScan plugged in when the car is sitting in my garage (I don't lock it, but take the car key with me in the house), no alarm sounds.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 07:26 PM   #1105
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugin View Post
My car behaves the same way. When I leave the UniCarScan plugged in the OBD port and lock the car, the alarm goes off after maybe 20 seconds. This only occurs if I lock the car. If I leave the UniCarScan plugged in when the car is sitting in my garage (I don't lock it, but take the car key with me in the house), no alarm sounds.
I did forget to mention that after locking, the alarm did wait a little bit till it sounded off. Same thing as you, if left unlocked, alarm doesn't sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 07:30 PM   #1106
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:
You should not be able to arm the alarm with it plugged in. I couldn't, until I coded that thing off in the FZD2 ECU.

But remember that it will be powered constantly when parked, draining your battery. As discussed in other threads.

If parking only short times, should be okay to leave it plugged in.
I know that over time with the OBD reader plugged in, it would drain the battery.
But as soon as I locked the doors, the alarm went off. I then unlocked the car, the alarm then stopped sounding. The alarm is pretty loud when you're standing right near the car. Didn't want to try that again.
Maybe it's normal for it to act that way in the US?
My understanding is that locking doors will activate the alarm system, which can detect a constant power drain at the OBD socket and treat it as a threat, hence audible alarm is triggered. Once the car is unlocked, the alarm system gets deactivated even the battery drain continues.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 07:36 PM   #1107
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Must be a US spec thing, my alarm has never gone off with it plugged in, and the alarm is definitely armed as the led on the rear view mirror flashes.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 07:41 PM   #1108
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:
Must be a US spec thing, my alarm has never gone off with it plugged in, and the alarm is definitely armed as the led on the rear view mirror flashes.
Here's from my manual
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 09:11 PM   #1109
b.guggenmos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M40I Phytonic Blue

Why would you leave it in the OBD II port all the time?

My M40I is still at the port according to the myBMW website. I will be coding some things off and will order the adapter soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 01:18 AM   #1110
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Quote:
Well, my manual, and car, function the same way. Must be a UK spec thing.

And like I have mentioned in other posts, it's possible to code it off in the roof module ECU.
      03-03-2019, 01:18 AM   #1111
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.guggenmos View Post
Why would you leave it in the OBD II port all the time?

My M40I is still at the port according to the myBMW website. I will be coding some things off and will order the adapter soon.
I am using BimmerLink app to show sensor values in a dash board-view, and it auto connects to the unicarscan, if plugged in...
      03-03-2019, 01:20 AM   #1112
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
I very much dislike the speed limit sign in the HUD, so I tried to code it off just now. The first photo shows iDrive settings before coding. I then coded HUD_CB_SPEEDLIMITINFO under 300C HUD to "aktiv" (the default setting is "nicht_aktiv"). The second photo shows iDrive settings after coding. Things looked promising, except nothing happens when I click on "Speed limit information." It's basically a non-functional checkbox. Any ideas how to proceed?
There should be some coding needed in Kombi as well, and perhaps you can find out by looking at what happens if enabling speed limit info on a FA level.
      03-03-2019, 01:23 AM   #1113
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzalad View Post
Quote:
It's the same base B57 as the M40d but from what I understand a different turbo unit and tune.

I honestly don't know. If it's not ASD, then BMW have done an absolutely epic job of making a 6 cylinder diesel engine sound like a 1980s Rover 3.5 Petrol V8.

30 odd years might affect memories, but swear it sounds pretty similar to my dad's 1984 Range Rover.
Agree about the sound. It's a separate ECU, right? Then I should be able to see it in the list in esys...

And I would assume it should be mentioned in the manual, and I haven't seen it there.

EDIT: I can't find the ECU ASD01 in my SVT, i.e. my car does not have that ECU.

Last edited by nogren; 03-03-2019 at 01:38 AM..
Appreciate 1
muzzalad268.50
      03-03-2019, 02:08 AM   #1114
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
There should be some coding needed in Kombi as well, and perhaps you can find out by looking at what happens if enabling speed limit info on a FA level.
Maybe DKOMBI2 -> 3000 -> HUD_VSLI_ENABLE

I guess SLI_PERMANENT_ENABLE could be tried, but should affect the one in the Intrument cluster as well. Or it takes the value you configured in iDrive.
      03-03-2019, 03:18 AM   #1115
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And like I have mentioned in other posts, it's possible to code it off in the roof module ECU.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Here's from my manual
It's in my manual too, strange!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 03:42 AM   #1116
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Here's from my manual
It's in my manual too, strange!
A positive gremlins for you. Now go in to BimmerCode expert mode for FSZ2, if available, and code it according to the manual.
      03-03-2019, 09:10 AM   #1117
Nicklebon
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive30i

Quote:
I've only had the X3 for a few days but, FWIW I do not see the behaviour described above when leaving my OBDLink MX+ plugged in. Pure speculation on my part but, maybe it uses less power than the trigger threshold.
Appreciate 2
teaston10994.50
nogren327.00
      03-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #1118
MOWells
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 XDrive30i 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklebon View Post
I've only had the X3 for a few days but, FWIW I do not see the behaviour described above when leaving my OBDLink MX+ plugged in. Pure speculation on my part but, maybe it uses less power than the trigger threshold.
It seems that you are right: the MX+ appears to have power-saving features that would keep the X3 from seeing any drain on the OBD port when locked:

“BatterySaver™ Technology
Plug it in, leave it in — without the danger of draining your vehicle’s battery. Fully automatic sleep and wake-up: does not require switches or manual button presses!“

I just ordered this device from Amazon. Being able to leave it plugged in all the time got me off the fence!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #1119
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOWells View Post
It seems that you are right: the MX+ appears to have power-saving features that would keep the X3 from seeing any drain on the OBD port when locked:

“BatterySaver™ Technology
Plug it in, leave it in — without the danger of draining your vehicle’s battery. Fully automatic sleep and wake-up: does not require switches or manual button presses!“

I just ordered this device from Amazon. Being able to leave it plugged in all the time got me off the fence!
Mine is the UniCarScan and also works like this, so it must vary from car to car!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 11:40 AM   #1120
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

Quote:
Just thought I would mention this.

I drove today with the OBDLink MX+ in the OBD port to check the coolant temp, voltage, turbo boost, etc. However, when I stopped and locked the car, the alarm started sounding off.
I was planning to leave the OBD adapter connected for the return trip home. But of course I had to remove the adapter to keep the alarm from sounding.
I've left my OBDLink LX in my car all the time (out of laziness) and no alarm issues. Wonder what's different with the MX.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 11:44 AM   #1121
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhidium View Post
Quote:
Just thought I would mention this.

I drove today with the OBDLink MX+ in the OBD port to check the coolant temp, voltage, turbo boost, etc. However, when I stopped and locked the car, the alarm started sounding off.
I was planning to leave the OBD adapter connected for the return trip home. But of course I had to remove the adapter to keep the alarm from sounding.
I've left my OBDLink LX in my car all the time (out of laziness) and no alarm issues. Wonder what's different with the MX.
You guys must have a faulty alarm. :-)

But yes they are probably not draining much, just running a small cortex cpu, interface to can bus and Bluetooth.
They guy behind UniCarScan didn't see any obvious way to easy save power when ignition is off, and "officially" recommended to remove adapter after each use.
      03-03-2019, 12:26 PM   #1122
gugin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
I see what you are saying about the need to code Kombi as well. I will try it today. I saw the same FDLs you mentioned (HUD_VSLI_ENABLE and SLI_PERMANENT_ENABLE), but I also found HUD_SPEED_LIMIT_ENABLE, SLI_HUD_PERMANENT_ENABLE, and HMI_VSLI_ENABLE. Do you know what HMI stands for? The instrument cluster? If so, then HUD_VSLI_ENABLE and HMI_VSLI_ENABLE could be the two options controlling the speed limit info in the HUD and the cluster, respectively.

How would I go about seeing what happens when I disable speed limit info or head-up display on the FA level? Is there a tutorial somewhere?
Appreciate 0