BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-13-2022, 07:29 PM   #89
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockDM View Post
Active Autowerke 3.5" Single Midpipe!

I was hoping AA would make an exhaust suite for the X3M so I was pretty excited when I saw this release. They have a great understanding of BMW's and tailoring exhaust notes which had them high on my list.

When the box arrived, everything was packed very well. These units appear to be very well made and the overall quality seems top notch. The welds are very nice, nothing looks out of place, no dents or dings etc. Very pleased with the unboxing experience and product itself.

Install:
I tackled the install alone in my garage and it was very manageable. I would say a 2/5 in terms of difficulty. I used wheel cribs to prop the rear of vehicle a little higher to give me some extra room. Being lowered almost 2" on coilvers didn't help this one ha.

- The whole process is very straight forward. You need to remove the two plastic shrouds located just in front of each rear wheel. There were a dozen or so 8mm bolts, 2 of which are in the wheel well and a single 10mm plastic nut holding the plastic shroud to a fabric one.
- With those out of the way, you can access the aluminum chassis brace which also needs to be removed. There are another dozen 13mm bolts holding this on. You will need to remove them all to drop it out of the way.
- Now with full access to the mid section you can start cutting. There is a single dimple just after the resonator on each side. This is where you will cut. You can reference my photos below and see but it's pretty easy to locate and identify. I chose to use an exhaust pipe cutter given the limited space and ease of use. It took maybe 2-3 mins of rotation but it came off very ease and very clean. I would recommend buying a new one before tackling since these dull out after the first couple uses and become much harder to cut.
- After both sides are cut you can start unbolting the exhaust. 4 nuts attached to the downpipe and 1 on a hanger near the downpipe flange. I used a jack to hold the rear section of the midpipe up while I unbolted the front. It came right out with no fuss.

Installing the AA pipe in the reverse order required nothing special. I attached the two short pipes with a little play in them so I could maneuver them as needed. Make sure you tuck the midpipe up as high as you can so you have plenty of clearance from the chassis brace. Tighten everything down and you're good to go. Fitment was spot on and I had no issues aligning anything up. Nothing needed excessive force or adjusting, it literally pushed up into place with ease.

Before lowering the car down I started it and checked all connections for leaks. Once I confirmed none I buttoned the brace and panels back up and took it for a spin.

Sound Impressions:
Valves closed-
I noticed right away that with the valves closed on start up it's only marginally louder than stock which is perfect. I want quiet starts in the morning so my neighbors don't hate me. Driving around town in Efficient with the valves closed is very tamed. Marginally louder than stock when accelerating under normal conditions but once it's under WOT you can start to tell it sounds different. The note sounds very OEM just enhanced. It doesn't sound raspy and has a slightly deeper tone but very OEM. Took it on the highway for a short drive and I didn't hear any drone at all. Like literally zero. This is probably the best part of this whole kit. I hate modifying exhausts that sound great when you want them to but suck when you want things quite. This isn't that.

Valves open-
Going into Sport Plus you can instantly hear the growl and rumble. It has a nice deep tone with many of the characteristics of the OEM exhaust still present and yet again enhanced and amplified. Under 3500rpm the car is still tamed but has a known presence vs stock. It isn't obnoxious but it's also not quiet. A very nice balance of sound is the best way to describe it.

Under WOT this thing sounds rowdy hahah! It really starts to sing but it doesn't get raspy at all. It has the signature characteristics of a straight 6 exhaust note with a pitch that gets higher as the revs climb but it's not a tin can raspy sound. I would say this is probably boarder line as loud as you can get without introducing rasp with the factory exhaust. You can sorta tell it's right at the cusp of getting raspy but falls short.

Crackles on revs and deceleration are very pronounced. I had the OTS 93 tune flashed from BM3 with the OTS burbles and it crackles like crazy haha. They are deep and aggressive sounding even with the stock downpipes. A little much for me but luckily I can adjust them. The downshifts are intoxicating and I find myself driving in manual much more often now ha. There is an aggressive crack on upshifts too, more pronounced than before. You'll hear them in the video below.

Overall I'm very pleased with this one. It brings you noise, with no drone, and mitigates any rasp. Hard to really ask for much else.

This unit also sheds 12lbs from the factory midpipe setup.

See below for a before and after video. I'm running stock downpipes and stock rear muffler.

Nice job.
Do you feel any low end loss due to single midpipe?
Also, how do you like that connecting clamp? I've installed couple AA midpipe on G8x M3/M4 with that clamp, it leaks. Tighten it all the way and still leaks, so I have to change it to Vibrant clamp.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2040.50
      07-14-2022, 09:06 AM   #90
gapband
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Comp

Quote:
Active Autowerke 3.5" Single Midpipe!

I was hoping AA would make an exhaust suite for the X3M so I was pretty excited when I saw this release. They have a great understanding of BMW's and tailoring exhaust notes which had them high on my list.

When the box arrived, everything was packed very well. These units appear to be very well made and the overall quality seems top notch. The welds are very nice, nothing looks out of place, no dents or dings etc. Very pleased with the unboxing experience and product itself.

Install:
I tackled the install alone in my garage and it was very manageable. I would say a 2/5 in terms of difficulty. I used wheel cribs to prop the rear of vehicle a little higher to give me some extra room. Being lowered almost 2" on coilvers didn't help this one ha.

- The whole process is very straight forward. You need to remove the two plastic shrouds located just in front of each rear wheel. There were a dozen or so 8mm bolts, 2 of which are in the wheel well and a single 10mm plastic nut holding the plastic shroud to a fabric one.
- With those out of the way, you can access the aluminum chassis brace which also needs to be removed. There are another dozen 13mm bolts holding this on. You will need to remove them all to drop it out of the way.
- Now with full access to the mid section you can start cutting. There is a single dimple just after the resonator on each side. This is where you will cut. You can reference my photos below and see but it's pretty easy to locate and identify. I chose to use an exhaust pipe cutter given the limited space and ease of use. It took maybe 2-3 mins of rotation but it came off very ease and very clean. I would recommend buying a new one before tackling since these dull out after the first couple uses and become much harder to cut.
- After both sides are cut you can start unbolting the exhaust. 4 nuts attached to the downpipe and 1 on a hanger near the downpipe flange. I used a jack to hold the rear section of the midpipe up while I unbolted the front. It came right out with no fuss.

Installing the AA pipe in the reverse order required nothing special. I attached the two short pipes with a little play in them so I could maneuver them as needed. Make sure you tuck the midpipe up as high as you can so you have plenty of clearance from the chassis brace. Tighten everything down and you're good to go. Fitment was spot on and I had no issues aligning anything up. Nothing needed excessive force or adjusting, it literally pushed up into place with ease.

Before lowering the car down I started it and checked all connections for leaks. Once I confirmed none I buttoned the brace and panels back up and took it for a spin.

Sound Impressions:
Valves closed-
I noticed right away that with the valves closed on start up it's only marginally louder than stock which is perfect. I want quiet starts in the morning so my neighbors don't hate me. Driving around town in Efficient with the valves closed is very tamed. Marginally louder than stock when accelerating under normal conditions but once it's under WOT you can start to tell it sounds different. The note sounds very OEM just enhanced. It doesn't sound raspy and has a slightly deeper tone but very OEM. Took it on the highway for a short drive and I didn't hear any drone at all. Like literally zero. This is probably the best part of this whole kit. I hate modifying exhausts that sound great when you want them to but suck when you want things quite. This isn't that.

Valves open-
Going into Sport Plus you can instantly hear the growl and rumble. It has a nice deep tone with many of the characteristics of the OEM exhaust still present and yet again enhanced and amplified. Under 3500rpm the car is still tamed but has a known presence vs stock. It isn't obnoxious but it's also not quiet. A very nice balance of sound is the best way to describe it.

Under WOT this thing sounds rowdy hahah! It really starts to sing but it doesn't get raspy at all. It has the signature characteristics of a straight 6 exhaust note with a pitch that gets higher as the revs climb but it's not a tin can raspy sound. I would say this is probably boarder line as loud as you can get without introducing rasp with the factory exhaust. You can sorta tell it's right at the cusp of getting raspy but falls short.

Crackles on revs and deceleration are very pronounced. I had the OTS 93 tune flashed from BM3 with the OTS burbles and it crackles like crazy haha. They are deep and aggressive sounding even with the stock downpipes. A little much for me but luckily I can adjust them. The downshifts are intoxicating and I find myself driving in manual much more often now ha. There is an aggressive crack on upshifts too, more pronounced than before. You'll hear them in the video below.

Overall I'm very pleased with this one. It brings you noise, with no drone, and mitigates any rasp. Hard to really ask for much else.

This unit also sheds 12lbs from the factory midpipe setup.

See below for a before and after video. I'm running stock downpipes and stock rear muffler.
Bravo! I've been wanting to hear a solid comparison of this since I heard of it. Sounds very nice! Were you running the BM3 tune in the video or did you flash to a stock file?
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2040.50
      07-14-2022, 09:29 AM   #91
BrockDM
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Nice job.
Do you feel any low end loss due to single midpipe?
Also, how do you like that connecting clamp? I've installed couple AA midpipe on G8x M3/M4 with that clamp, it leaks. Tighten it all the way and still leaks, so I have to change it to Vibrant clamp.
I haven't noticed any low end loss but to be transparent I've been running the BM3 OTS 93 tune which I haven't ran in months. I just switched back to my F80 Paul E60 so I'll get a little more seat time and report back.

I assume you are referring to the ball head style connections. They seem nice in theory and I haven't noticed any leaks upon the first start up. I think they need to be positioned almost perfectly to clamp down all the way. I'll give it a few more heat cycles and recheck them for leaks. I appreciate the heads up!
      07-14-2022, 09:30 AM   #92
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapband View Post
Bravo! I've been wanting to hear a solid comparison of this since I heard of it. Sounds very nice! Were you running the BM3 tune in the video or did you flash to a stock file?
That is the BM3 93 tune, I have it on the time cards in the video. It was running the burbles set to "OTS"
      07-14-2022, 09:57 AM   #93
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven't noticed any low end loss but to be transparent I've been running the BM3 OTS 93 tune which I haven't ran in months. I just switched back to my F80 Paul E60 so I'll get a little more seat time and report back.

I assume you are referring to the ball head style connections. They seem nice in theory and I haven't noticed any leaks upon the first start up. I think they need to be positioned almost perfectly to clamp down all the way. I'll give it a few more heat cycles and recheck them for leaks. I appreciate the heads up!
Oh, that too.
But, I was talking about the connecting clamp from rear end of the midpipe to the muffler.

I guess with a tune, you won't notice that low end loss.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 11:14 AM   #94
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Oh, that too.
But, I was talking about the connecting clamp from rear end of the midpipe to the muffler.

I guess with a tune, you won't notice that low end loss.
Ahh I see, I'll check those as well but on the first start up I didn't have any leaks. A few heat cycles could certainly present them so I'll report back
      07-28-2022, 02:52 PM   #95
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

How's the alcantara on the steering wheel holding up? I wish they had an option that was CF (as it should come from the factory with the rest of the CF trim) and either black leather or something else durable not alcantara.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 02:57 PM   #96
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
How's the alcantara on the steering wheel holding up? I wish they had an option that was CF (as it should come from the factory with the rest of the CF trim) and either black leather or something else durable not alcantara.
It looks new still. It's an area that is hardly ever touched so I wouldn't expect it to get nasty like a full steering wheel would. Maybe here and there the side of your hand hits it but you aren't grasping it with a full palm.
      07-28-2022, 04:56 PM   #97
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
It looks new still. It's an area that is hardly ever touched so I wouldn't expect it to get nasty like a full steering wheel would. Maybe here and there the side of your hand hits it but you aren't grasping it with a full palm.
My M8 is going to have full dash alcantara which is not what I'd prefer, but it's what comes with the black/midrand combo I'm getting. It's also a non-touch area so hopefully it holds up well.
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2040.50
      07-30-2022, 11:31 AM   #98
mailman_fin
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i - F48 x20i - E39 M5

This is really good looking Beast! Like your style to do mods!
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2040.50
      08-02-2022, 11:14 AM   #99
2Times
I'd hit it
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 xd  [10.00]
Fun to see this build. Followed your S4 build and I just traded in my S5 for an X3M today and looking at parts even before it gets here
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2040.50
      08-02-2022, 12:07 PM   #100
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Times View Post
Fun to see this build. Followed your S4 build and I just traded in my S5 for an X3M today and looking at parts even before it gets here
Ha small world! The B9 is a great platform but I have no regret jumping ship.
      08-02-2022, 12:15 PM   #101
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

So I just realized I never shared my BC Forged wheel setup...

I'm currently rocking 21" BC Forged RZ01. They are finished in Brushed Dark Black and are perfectly spec'd for the F97. They are a touch on the aggressive side but with a little natural camber I'm rub free and 95% of road conditions. This setup is perfect for stock height and lowering springs/coilovers.

Fronts:
- 21x9.5 et17 with 265/40/21 Michelin PS4S

Rears:
- 21x11 et35 with 295/35/21 Michelin PS4S

08-09-2022, 02:51 PM   #102
2Times
I'd hit it
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 xd  [10.00]
Look at you front page 😊
Attached Images

2023 M4 xd BSM
IG: MFor_YourPleasure
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2040.50
      08-09-2022, 02:59 PM   #103
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Look at you front page 😊
this build is worthy of it. so cleannn
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2040.50
      08-09-2022, 03:03 PM   #104
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Congrats on getting featured!!!
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2040.50
      08-09-2022, 03:12 PM   #105
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Look at you front page 😊
Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
this build is worthy of it. so cleannn
Quote:
Congrats on getting featured!!!
Thanks fellas! PM for autographs
      08-09-2022, 03:21 PM   #106
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Awesome build, Brock! Congrats to being front page featured!
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2040.50
      08-09-2022, 03:38 PM   #107
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Awesome build, Brock! Congrats to being front page featured!
Thanks Alex, I appreciate it man
      08-09-2022, 03:40 PM   #108
mose121
Humanist
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP/F31 330i M Sport

I think I prefer the stock wheels, just my preference. Killer ride though!
BrockDM2040.50
      08-09-2022, 04:02 PM   #109
DATK
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2040.50
      08-09-2022, 04:19 PM   #110
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose121 View Post
I think I prefer the stock wheels, just my preference. Killer ride though!
The stock wheels do look really good so I can't even blame you!