BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-10-2019, 03:32 AM   #1
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

X4 M40i vs Audi SQ5

Enjoy..

Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00
      02-10-2019, 06:36 AM   #2
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

well...nice review but to say "I'd have to get in it blindfolded due to its ugliness" is ridiculous. yes it's subjective but to me this is a beautiful car inside and out and the audi is beautiful only on the inside and boring as watching paint dry on the outside.
Appreciate 3
JustChris17483.00
shoneb0.00
kozzi927.00
      02-01-2024, 06:58 PM   #3
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Resurrecting an older thread….

Ummm - did I miss something somewhere?!!! I just got GAPPED by an SQ5… we were doubled up at a light after he was playing around a bit and I caught up to him. I got ready for a punch and homie used launch control which then threw my reaction off and I was playing a tiny amount of catchup… but he basically was walking away from me slowly. ARE THOSE FASTER THAN M40is??!! Now then, I did hear some nasty exhaust pops on his “slow down” to turn at his light…. So that made me wonder if it was tuned. It wasn’t really a “stock” sounding set of burbles, they were hard core POPS.

STILL??!! WTH?!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 07:34 PM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Differential performance is irrelevant and no need to watch a video. The results don’t matter. I’ve had “never again” level of experience for quality and the dishonest people who supposedly stand behind these overdressed Volkswagens.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 07:53 PM   #5
strohw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 Versys 1000, 20 KTM 690 SMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGrey View Post

Ummm - did I miss something somewhere?!!! I just got GAPPED by an SQ5… we were doubled up at a light after he was playing around a bit and I caught up to him. I got ready for a punch and homie used launch control which then threw my reaction off and I was playing a tiny amount of catchup… but he basically was walking away from me slowly. ARE THOSE FASTER THAN M40is??!! Now then, I did hear some nasty exhaust pops on his “slow down” to turn at his light…. So that made me wonder if it was tuned. It wasn’t really a “stock” sounding set of burbles, they were hard core POPS.

STILL??!! WTH?!
Probably had a tune and downpipe. He'd be up 60-70hp over a stock M40i on 93oct with that setup.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 08:00 PM   #6
Jen4BMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 X3 M40i

Quote:

STILL??!! WTH?!
I just happened to be lined up next to a guy driving a Macan yesterday. Our eyes met, he smirked like he was going to spank the chick next to him smirking back and as I expected my M40i smoked little Porshe boy. So fun
Appreciate 3
TXGrey1272.00
lfdal541030.00
      02-01-2024, 08:38 PM   #7
Rottweiler
Captain (Retired)
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X4 M40I  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen4BMW View Post
I just happened to be lined up next to a guy driving a Macan yesterday. Our eyes met, he smirked like he was going to spank the chick next to him smirking back and as I expected my M40i smoked little Porshe boy. So fun
A Macan S or…?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 08:46 PM   #8
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Quote:

STILL??!! WTH?!
Tuned, no doubt. I x-shopped SQ5 back then and I could tell they're slower. I had a few runs with it on i45 and the M40i just walks away.

Let's sneak into the SQ5 forum and see if anyone boasts on how he spanked an m40i
Appreciate 1
TXGrey1272.00
      02-02-2024, 04:02 AM   #9
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Or older perhaps? I noticed when x-shopping SQ5 in the past that each model (from memory in UK at least) gets slower, whereas the M40 gets faster.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 05:29 AM   #10
Keefy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Garage List
I’ve also been doubled up at the traffic lights, me in my M40d and the other car was an SQ5, it was neck and neck for the first 10ft or so then I left him slowly pulling away.
My 700Nm of torque probably had a lot to do with it, along with maybe sharper gear changes but the SQ5 is certainly slower than my M40d.
Modifications - AutoID Front Splitter. DTUK Pedalbox Plus. Gloss Black M Badges. 3d Maxpider Kuga Floor Matts & Cargo liner. BMW M-Performance Flow Through Spoiler. Mid-Trunk Spoiler. 15mm Spacers all round. AP Arch Guards. X3M Side Vents. 699M Wheels Gloss Black
Appreciate 1
TXGrey1272.00
      02-02-2024, 05:41 AM   #11
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by g11hoonigan View Post
Tuned, no doubt. I x-shopped SQ5 back then and I could tell they're slower. I had a few runs with it on i45 and the M40i just walks away.

Let's sneak into the SQ5 forum and see if anyone boasts on how he spanked an m40i
For real! May have to come up with a sketchy screen name and snoop around...

I did feel a bit small... wasn't expecting that result at all. Also wasn't looking for playground fight either. Was on the phone driving rather casually when I noticed him "playing around" quite a bit from light to light. AS SOON as he noticed I took a little bait, I heard him downshift and get, ahem, ready. I should've known then...

EDIT: for picture painting purposes, I should have said "stacked" at the light, meaning I ended up behind him (not side by side)... so when I went to punch it (with exquisite reaction time might I add), he proceeded to use launch control which made me abort my timing, and then have to get back into it... so I lost a little time and momentum there. But still.
Appreciate 2
lfdal541030.00
      02-02-2024, 06:48 AM   #12
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Differential performance is irrelevant and no need to watch a video. The results don’t matter. I’ve had “never again” level of experience for quality and the dishonest people who supposedly stand behind these overdressed Volkswagens.
i agree, i think audi builds solid cars but from my experience with dealing with Audi dealerships and BMW dealerships... you really are buying a car that is treated like another VW product... customer service sucks, they cannot resolve any issues with their SW whatsoever (even something simple as favorites getting lost in the MMI lol because they are fed of some sort of Audi cloud) and their service department at least locally here is just nowhere near the levels of our bmw dealer... a family member literally took his audi to bmw to get a tire swap because they knew they'd do a better job
      02-02-2024, 06:54 AM   #13
Leem40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

STILL??!! WTH?!
The problem is he was ready to go and you thought you were going to own him and didn't set up. I can guarantee that if he actually used launch control he most likely has a tune.
Appreciate 0