BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-03-2018, 07:52 PM   #89
bmwgrande
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
First I read about maybe having to register the signal booster with a cell carrier. I bet if I called my carrier (Verizon), they will laugh at the idea?
Not sure. The owner's manual says you must register it with your mobile carrier, and that the carrier can deny registering it. But it also was stating that if you're directed to stop using it, you have to do so until the dealer uninstalls it because it's an FCC violation or something. So that makes me think it's boost my signal without registration.

Had I known, I would have asked the BMW genius when I did my PCD. In the meantime, I plan to let it ride and not call my carrier about it.
      12-03-2018, 08:39 PM   #90
mmmmm40i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
You can also rotate the HUD in the iDrive settings to help see the display with polarized eyewear. For the record I hate polarized lenses for anything except boating.
THAT's their fix for polarized glasses???

Well, better than not seeing the HUD I guess.

Wish BMW can figure out a more elegant solution for a $65K car.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 09:06 PM   #91
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgrande View Post
It's the power source instead of hard wiring it or having it plugged into the 12V jack. I was trying to go with a clean, stowed look instead of the 12V, but didn't want to put in the effort of hard wiring. Seems I'll have to hard wire for my desired results...
I just went with a lot wire from the rear 12v outlet, not super clean but better then using the front one!
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #92
Neo1130
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmm40i View Post

What else is there? No pair of polarized glasses are oriented the same. Some may show the display while others not... That's why the option is there. It's not a BMW issue, it's a optical industry issue.
Appreciate 2
focker155.00
shoptb176.00
      12-04-2018, 12:46 AM   #93
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:

The HUD works by reflecting an image off the windshield, and reflected light will have some degree of polarization. Because you're reflecting vertically off a windshield (similar to the reflection off water), polarized sunglasses will filter out some/most of the HUD image, because polarized sunglasses are made to be effective against light reflected off water.

Until BMW figures out a way to build the HUD display directly into the glass, you're stuck with the hard reality of physics.

(I think the HUD rotation option exists not for sunglasses, but so that BMW doesn't have to do any expensive alignments/calibrations to properly orient the HUD. Otherwise, BMW would have to deal with aligning the HUD during manufacturing, and with possible misalignments caused by jarring bumps during driving.)

Me, I bought new unpolarized (prescription) sunglasses.
Appreciate 3
focker155.00
MechX3M40i1006.00
shoptb176.00
      12-04-2018, 02:27 AM   #94
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgrande View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
First I read about maybe having to register the signal booster with a cell carrier. I bet if I called my carrier (Verizon), they will laugh at the idea?
Not sure. The owner's manual says you must register it with your mobile carrier, and that the carrier can deny registering it. But it also was stating that if you're directed to stop using it, you have to do so until the dealer uninstalls it because it's an FCC violation or something. So that makes me think it's boost my signal without registration.

Had I known, I would have asked the BMW genius when I did my PCD. In the meantime, I plan to let it ride and not call my carrier about it.
In the U.K. the regulations were changed a while ago to make these sort of automotive signal boosters exempt from registration as they are of such low power

The idea of the booster is to give you same signal strength inside car as you would normally have in the same area when outside car rather than massively improve signal
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2018, 09:23 AM   #95
HampshireUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i (2019)

1 feature I miss from my M235i is the ability to set the face vents in the centre of the dash to cool air, there was a hot/cold tub wheel on the M235i

I also think the sound of the doors closing from outside the car isn’t as premium as it should be. Very minor thing but it does t sound premium, not sure if that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:41 AM   #96
retiredsailer
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by HampshireUK View Post
1 feature I miss from my M235i is the ability to set the face vents in the centre of the dash to cool air, there was a hot/cold tub wheel on the M235i

I also think the sound of the doors closing from outside the car isn’t as premium as it should be. Very minor thing but it does t sound premium, not sure if that makes sense.
Upper vent temp can be set from either iDrive, or air conditioning control panel "menu".
Appreciate 2
      12-04-2018, 10:00 AM   #97
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Yeah I need to buy a pair of polarized lenses for use outside of the car. Because of the HUD I've had unpolarized ones for years now....I think it's affecting my eyesight. Grrrr...
      12-04-2018, 10:04 AM   #98
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
Quote:

The HUD works by reflecting an image off the windshield, and reflected light will have some degree of polarization. Because you're reflecting vertically off a windshield (similar to the reflection off water), polarized sunglasses will filter out some/most of the HUD image, because polarized sunglasses are made to be effective against light reflected off water.

Until BMW figures out a way to build the HUD display directly into the glass, you're stuck with the hard reality of physics.

(I think the HUD rotation option exists not for sunglasses, but so that BMW doesn't have to do any expensive alignments/calibrations to properly orient the HUD. Otherwise, BMW would have to deal with aligning the HUD during manufacturing, and with possible misalignments caused by jarring bumps during driving.)

you sure the HUD rotation option is not meant to let us looking like a puzzled canine while driving, like someone had suggested? :
Appreciate 2
focker155.00
      12-04-2018, 10:22 AM   #99
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbear View Post
Same thing. Found out my tps valve screw was cery loose. That fixed it.
How would you check that?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 01:42 PM   #100
HampshireUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredsailer View Post
Upper vent temp can be set from either iDrive, or air conditioning control panel "menu".

Found it thanks much better now I prefer these vents to be cooler.

Also found the ambient lighting setting which I found too bright at night, the dealer had set this to maximum brightness, much better now and less distracting at night.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 02:14 PM   #101
Radar314
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
C7 GS/Vert/3LT  [10.00]
BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Cool

Bought two nice pair of non polarized sunglasses. One brown, one gray. I leave them in the vehicle. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 02:18 PM   #102
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HampshireUK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredsailer View Post

Found it thanks much better now I prefer these vents to be cooler.

Also found the ambient lighting setting which I found too bright at night, the dealer had set this to maximum brightness, much better now and less distracting at night.
i think you can also turn on the night driving mode with the Ambient lighting, it dims automatically when driving in the dark. I like this feature and it gives the car a very classy feel.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 02:26 PM   #103
HampshireUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
i think you can also turn on the night driving mode with the Ambient lighting, it dims automatically when driving in the dark. I like this feature and it gives the car a very classy feel.
Yep that was enabled already but too bright due to the setting being on full max.

All sorted
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #104
Neo1130
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
How would you check that?
A tool such as this...

https://www.grainger.com/product/33W...!g!82495735797!
Appreciate 1
codex57214.00
      12-04-2018, 07:45 PM   #105
HollyM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i - on order!

Here is about the only thing I've found not to my liking thus far, three months in on the M40i...who in the hell decided on the REAR wheel well material? OMG, it attracts and retains so much debris I pull my hair out trying to clean them. The front wheel well material is completely different, easy to clean, smooth surface. The rear? It's almost like Velcro.

Maddening. Downright maddening. Why did the materials have to be different, front vs. rear? Any idea?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:06 PM   #106
Neo1130
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyM View Post
Here is about the only thing I've found not to my liking thus far, three months in on the M40i...who in the hell decided on the REAR wheel well material? OMG, it attracts and retains so much debris I pull my hair out trying to clean them. The front wheel well material is completely different, easy to clean, smooth surface. The rear? It's almost like Velcro.

Maddening. Downright maddening. Why did the materials have to be different, front vs. rear? Any idea?
Sound deadening most likely. This is becoming the standard... My 4 new Dodges had it starting from 2015, noticed a few other MFR's doing it as well...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 05:06 AM   #107
HampshireUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The size of the glovebox
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 05:27 AM   #108
Speedbird1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3 2023 F44 220i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyM View Post

It also performs a spray suppression role in heavy rain.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #109
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar314 View Post
Bought two nice pair of non polarized sunglasses. One brown, one gray. I leave them in the vehicle. Problem solved.
Same here. On a related note, it's extremely difficult to find non-polarized lenses these days. However, I was able to get a nice pair of RayBan Aviators NP via Amazon -- still sitting around from the days when everything wasn't polarized. Was a little nervous not trying them on first, but the fit is great and quality as expected.

Link here ->
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
focker155.00
pej744593.00
      12-05-2018, 01:31 PM   #110
mmmmm40i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post

Oh very cool, thanks for explaining.

I drove around today wearing polarized glasses and found the HUD was very faded, but turning my head or angling the HUD (confused dog solution) didn't do much to fix it. Good to know though!
Appreciate 0