BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-24-2019, 05:46 PM   #1
Paul J Donnan
Rep
Drives: X5 M50d

718M cerium grey matt wheels

I recently purchased a M40D uk with 21 718M cerium grey matt wheels.
My daughter and grandson where visiting from Kong Hong and staying with us.
She needed transport and asked if I would put her on my insurance and lend her my car.
I reluctantly agreed and sorted the insurance out. I took her out for a few drives to show her the normal operation of the car and also let her drive it while I was with her. There was no problems. Unfortunately I went to work and left the car and warned her the car was only to be used for short journeys and not to park up kerbs etc. On her first day on her own a dog ran onto the road she swerved to avoid hitting it and went up a high kerb and scuffed both the back and rear passenger side wheels.
I have tried to get them repaired but long story short no success. So I had a local garage order me a new set from nearest BMW garage. A the wheels where delivered to him within a week. He called me at work to say the wheels had arrived but they seemed a different colour to mine. He contact the BMW garage and explained this and as the car was the new X3 M40d the wheels where cerium grey 718M shells to match the rest of the cerium exterior parts.
The BMW parts department said they would order the correct wheels and deliver them and pickup the others and swap like for like at no extra charge.
The second wheels arrived and again my local garage phoned to let me know but said he thought they where again not the same colour match as mine but near or not if the same as the first bath. He held onto them till I had a look and compare with original wheels on car. I at first thought they where the same colour as the wheels on the car, but was adamant they where and where more grey and not like mine which he said looked more of a copper tint.
I have tried researching online to see if there are different colours available on the 21 718M wheels and some site are advertising for sale 21 718M titanium grey Matt and other 21 718M curium grey Matt .

The local BMW parts department have told my local garage that the wheel they provided for my car are the only ones on there system and they are highlighting as being Titanium grey and not cerium grey on BMW parts register and are match to my Vin number.

Does anyone know if there are different colour 21 718M wheels and if so what is ome code for the ones I need. I'm starting to think that the new wheels are the same as original and it's just different light reflection that changes the colour and without tyres on they look different. This driving me mad.

I appreciate if anyone could shed some light on my issue or advice

Many Thanks in advance

PJD
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Does look like the only colour available is Titanium Matt, maybe because yours have been washed or washed/ceramic coated etc could easily change the look of the matt finish?

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 06:45 PM   #3
Paul J Donnan
Rep

Thanks teaston, I think you are correct.
I did think that they look the same to me, but my garage guy was adamant they where different.
I will go back for another look and see again for myself
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 06:57 PM   #4
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J Donnan View Post
Thanks teaston, I think you are correct.
I did think that they look the same to me, but my garage guy was adamant they where different.
I will go back for another look and see again for myself
Not only put the wheels next to yours but also put some shade over the top of them to mimic the arches.

Those wheels can look so different, ones I’ve seen on the road look grey, but in the showroom they look champagne/copper.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 12:09 AM   #5
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Hi mate sorry to hear about about story. Are you sure your original wheels can't be fixed? Can you upload a pic please? Reason I ask I use a fantastic guy for wheel repairs and can send him a pic to see what he says...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 05:57 AM   #6
Paul J Donnan
Rep

718M cerium grey matt wheels

Thanks for your replies teaston and London_v
I am going to look at them today again.

Some pics attached below of scuffed wheels. I had my guy take them to a wheel repair company but they said as they are diamond cut they would have to take to much of the wheel of they it could affect the integrity of the wheel and they wouldn't repair them.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 07:42 AM   #7
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your replies teaston and London_v
I am going to look at them today again.

Some pics attached below of scuffed wheels. I had my guy take them to a wheel repair company but they said as they are diamond cut they would have to take to much of the wheel of they it could affect the integrity of the wheel and they wouldn't repair them.
Can't see any pics bud
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
Paul J Donnan
Rep

Sorry I could not seem to attach any photos earlier for some reason
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 03:16 PM   #9
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Ouch! You could probably make them look pretty good, but never perfect.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 04:41 PM   #10
Paul J Donnan
Rep

That's what I was thinking.
Still have the issue of the new wheel colour.
I hoping that the new wheels are the same as originals. But in Germany they are called titanium and Uk they are called curium, as you say teaston there is only one 718m wheel list on BMW parts catalogue and they call the colour titanium
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 05:40 PM   #11
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Umm, my guess is that can be fixed as I was expecting a lot worse. Can you reach out to my contact and tell him Vilas recommended him to you, and send across some pictures to get his opinion? His name is Ben and he's on autorefurb@outlook.com.

Let me know how you get on! I notice you're in NI, but if Ben can work his magic, then a drive down to London will be a lot cheaper than a new set of wheels!!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #12
Paul J Donnan
Rep

Thanks mate

I will definitely get in touch with Ben
I will post to let you know how I get on
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 06:45 PM   #13
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks mate

I will definitely get in touch with Ben
I will post to let you know how I get on
Great stuff and good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 03:03 AM   #14
dbpe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Funny story... I ordered my X3 M40i with fineline wood trim and it showed up with fish scale aluminum trim and really silver wheels. I reordered with the correct trim and asked why the wheels didn't look like the ones on the website. I was finally told by the 800 number that those were only available in Europe. Well, at least I was going to get the good steering wheel. The second one showed up with the correct trim, and, yup, the correct wheels. If you look at the one I didn't take delivery on and the one I did and squint, you get the effect - they are very different in person and I'm really glad the darker ones came through. How do you make sure you get the cerium ones? Heck if I know, maybe keep reordering until you randomly get them.
Attached Images

05-26-2019, 10:04 AM   #15
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six Convert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 Mini JCW  [10.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpe View Post
Funny story... I ordered my X3 M40i with fineline wood trim and it showed up with fish scale aluminum trim and really silver wheels. I reordered with the correct trim and asked why the wheels didn't look like the ones on the website. I was finally told by the 800 number that those were only available in Europe. Well, at least I was going to get the good steering wheel. The second one showed up with the correct trim, and, yup, the correct wheels. If you look at the one I didn't take delivery on and the one I did and squint, you get the effect - they are very different in person and I'm really glad the darker ones came through. How do you make sure you get the cerium ones? Heck if I know, maybe keep reordering until you randomly get them.
Are the alloys in the 1st picture also 21”s? As they look similar to the standard 20”s in the UK. Whereas the 21”s at the Matt Cerium grey.

Apologies if I am mistaken, but not a close up angle.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 10:25 AM   #16
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3M40i_Nev View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpe View Post
Are the alloys in the 1st picture also 21”s? As they look similar to the standard 20”s in the UK. Whereas the 21”s at the Matt Cerium grey.

Apologies if I am mistaken, but not a close up angle.
Both pics show 19" 698M, first set are ferric grey with diamond cut face, second set are the totally ferric grey ones I assume.
Appreciate 1