BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-11-2019, 01:59 AM   #45
HDBoss
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ‘11 F25 N55

How it was for the rear part...

Here are a body gap before frame drop;
All removed parts (with SuoerSprint exhaust);

You have to make 50mm gap in order to remove swaybar and use torque wrench with "comfort"))))

Also you have to remove a rust from the body when removed rear spring struts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 02:26 AM   #46
HDBoss
Enlisted Member
Rep

Swaybar compare

Here are rear swaybars photos:
Regular -18,7mm in both measured points;
Sport version - 20,8-21mm.
Rubber mounts - regular and sport.

Spring struts prepared to install with Eibach 30mm lowered springs and Bilstein B6 ammo.

I worked all this myself and spent two days including rear body repair, rear springs repair, rear spring struts complete repack, radial shaft seal for input flange of rear axle differential replace, rear break pads replace.

I believe the rear swaybar and rear struts replace can be done within a day but it's better to include body repair in your plan. Because have a chance to get the area where spring struts sits.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #47
x3sm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 Porsche

That is officially too much work for me to make the X3 handle better lol.. I'm going to upgrade the shocks later and see if that helps, if not then I'm selling it and getting something else.
AUDI S4: SOLD
BMW E92 335: SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 02:47 PM   #48
F30ed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, X3 35M

HDBoss, what is that tool on last photo that has a dial?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 03:35 AM   #49
HDBoss
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ed View Post
HDBoss, what is that tool on last photo that has a dial?
This is my angle degree torque gauge. I use it every time because BMW TIS has not only torque specification but additional angle for some bolts.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 08:05 PM   #50
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
I just finished up installing the Bilstein B4 shocks and struts along with the H&R springs. Overall the ride so far is certainly harsher than my original non-sport suspension, with a noticeably increased amount of shudder from large bumps. It also has a bit more float after bumps than I was hoping for, but still much better than what my 95k mile original suspension had.

In comparison... I would say it's pretty similar to my '11 M3 set on comfort... but with more of that floaty/bouncy feeling. I haven't driven it too hard yet or tried cornering much since I'm waiting on an alignment but overall I am very happy with the results and it's perfect for an SUV that's being used as a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 10:14 AM   #51
x3sm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianoak View Post
I just finished up installing the Bilstein B4 shocks and struts along with the H&R springs. Overall the ride so far is certainly harsher than my original non-sport suspension, with a noticeably increased amount of shudder from large bumps. It also has a bit more float after bumps than I was hoping for, but still much better than what my 95k mile original suspension had.

In comparison... I would say it's pretty similar to my '11 M3 set on comfort... but with more of that floaty/bouncy feeling. I haven't driven it too hard yet or tried cornering much since I'm waiting on an alignment but overall I am very happy with the results and it's perfect for an SUV that's being used as a daily driver.
Seems like anything we try with the X3's suspension, no one is happy. At this point, the only thing I will probably do is KONI adjustable shocks, or sell this thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 10:18 AM   #52
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
Quote:

Seems like anything we try with the X3's suspension, no one is happy. At this point, the only thing I will probably do is KONI adjustable shocks, or sell this thing.
Adjustable is probably the way to go. If I had a bit more rebound I'd be happy... think it's the rebound. I'm trying to remember back to my racing days with adjustable shocks LOL
      04-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #53
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Great work and thanks for the documentation!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:15 AM   #54
TheCoolX3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Garage List
I am very happy with my Megan Racing Coil overs. Good coils and good tries (non RFT) totally changed my X3 for me.

Buddy of mine had a set of Sport Cup 2s laying around for his M2C, and we threw them on the X3 for a day. I loved it, car handled amazing!.

Where I live we have a little street track where we close off the road and have 'safe' environment to test cars. It has some good, sharp tuns and a few high speed sections.

We went there with 4 cars: 2018 WRX STI, 2008 E60 M5, 2003 E46 M3 and my X3.

This is not an official track time or anything and I do not want it to be taken as such but, my X3 was only bested by an E46 M3 by about 1.2 seconds. Considering the M3 was on coils and FBO, the fact my X3 'Kept up' was amazing in my eyes (If you have ever been in an E46 M3 you will understand).

The E60 M5 beat the WRX by about 3 seconds but both were considerably slower than my X3 and the M3.

Just goes to show, good power, good suspension and damn good tires can make any car competitive. My X3 also made a trip to Sebring Raceway recently, but I will be making a separate post about that.

(Yes we did switch drivers in the cars to see if it came down to the driver, time difference was negligible)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
scostu1619.50
      04-14-2019, 11:54 AM   #55
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Figured I'd check in after getting my allignment done and having some extra seat time since the suspension replacement.

Overall I'm actually a bit disappointed with the setup. On anything other than smooth pavement the vehicle transmits so many of the bumps and undulations into the cabin that at time I feel like a bobble headd. With that being said, cornering is vastly improved over stock and at high speeds (70+) it seems to settle and provide a much smoother ride. Also at higher speeds I noticed that it seemed more responsive to steering input and I almost feel like the steering is more communicative now, I can feel much more through the steering wheel... in a good way.
      04-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #56
x3sm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Figured I'd check in after getting my allignment done and having some extra seat time since the suspension replacement.

Overall I'm actually a bit disappointed with the setup. On anything other than smooth pavement the vehicle transmits so many of the bumps and undulations into the cabin that at time I feel like a bobble headd. With that being said, cornering is vastly improved over stock and at high speeds (70+) it seems to settle and provide a much smoother ride. Also at higher speeds I noticed that it seemed more responsive to steering input and I almost feel like the steering is more communicative now, I can feel much more through the steering wheel... in a good way.
Did you get the B4 sport shock or regular B4 shock?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #57
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
I got the sport shock. Overall I'd say its about the same as my M3 in sport mode. For me it's not a deal breaker but it's much more jarring than a daily driver needs to be.
      04-18-2019, 11:51 AM   #58
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoolX3 View Post
Where I live we have a little street track where we close off the road and have 'safe' environment to test cars. It has some good, sharp tuns and a few high speed sections.
Mexico?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 10:40 PM   #59
robjohnson.2822
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, E30

Has anyone ran b4 sport with non sport springs? I just found a leak in my front passenger strut at 126k.

I want to order a set of the Eibach pro-lift springs but no one has a decent price in the US. So I'll wait.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:46 AM   #60
rotax
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
I got the sport shock. Overall I'd say its about the same as my M3 in sport mode. For me it's not a deal breaker but it's much more jarring than a daily driver needs to be.
I intend to get the sport B4 OE from Bilstein as well. I have a front right strut that is leaking and the car has the standard suspension. I intend to use the OEM sport spring and am hoping that it is less jarring. Talking with Bilstein, they said the B4 Standard and Sport struts are the same on compression, but that the rebound is not as bouncy on the sport when compared to the standard B4. The stock sport spring is the same for the sport suspension with and without electronic suspension.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 09:39 PM   #61
rotax
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

I was wondering for those that have done the suspension upgrades if you followed all the required steps from newTIS. Before removing the front Struts newTIS states:

Necessary preliminary work:
Detach output shaft from wheel bearing and tie up.
Remove brake caliper and tie back.
Remove brake disc.
Remove the anti-roll bar link at the spring strut.
Remove track rod end from swivel bearing.
Detach trailing link from swivel bearing.
Detach wheel speed sensor from swivel bearing and unclip line from spring strut.

I have done this before on my older E83 X3 and I did not remove output shaft or remove any of the links etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 03:41 AM   #62
m0lt3n
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3

raising suspension

New to the forum and reviving an old thread!

Did anyone ever raise a F25? I have an MSport with 19 inch wheels and plan to fit bigger tyres for a more comfortable ride. So would really like to know if there is any cheap and easy ways of getting just a little lift out of the car?

Current plan is to make spacers, 8mm, and fit to to top of shock towers. Good or bad idea?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 07:44 AM   #63
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0lt3n View Post
New to the forum and reviving an old thread!

Did anyone ever raise a F25? I have an MSport with 19 inch wheels and plan to fit bigger tyres for a more comfortable ride. So would really like to know if there is any cheap and easy ways of getting just a little lift out of the car?

Current plan is to make spacers, 8mm, and fit to to top of shock towers. Good or bad idea?
Welcome...
Not sure how spacers will raise the vehicle, but rather lower it and make the springs stiffer
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 04:58 AM   #64
m0lt3n
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Welcome...
Not sure how spacers will raise the vehicle, but rather lower it and make the springs stiffer

Spacers on top of the shock/springs.
Dont want stiffer springs, its already a hard ride as it is.
Reason for this is because of our poor roads we have here (or rather me wanting to take the car to work, a mine site with poorly maintained roads)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 08:36 AM   #65
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Dont want stiffer springs, its already a hard ride as it is.
Can you explain how adding spacers to the top of the shock towers will raise the ride height, seems to me it will lower it and make the springs stiffer
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 07:15 AM   #66
m0lt3n
Registered
Rep

struggling to upload but this should help.

I am not a guru, so may be missing something. But looking at the F25 chassis dynamics on page 10 I dont see an issue with simply adding a spacer between body and shock assembly.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf x3 front axle.pdf (296.1 KB, 45 views)
Appreciate 0