BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-25-2022, 12:36 PM   #1
LikeNo1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 F25 X3 LCI x20d Msport

F25 LCI USB issue - both ports not working - SOLVED

Hello there.
I Took an used F25 X3 LCI and after some days discovered both USB ports, in the armrest and over the ashtray not working. Guy that updated the car to the last iStep before the delivery tells it cannot be possible because he uses the usb port do this job.

Tried with different usb pen and formatting processes. None.
Inserting 2 pen drives the led light over those goes on for 1 sec; same thing with the iPhone and is genuine cable: 1 sec of charge then goes off.
Cables on the rear of the NBT are all connected (a cable plugged on the USB1 port). I think that alimentation is ok.

Verified all the settings relatives to the usb/usb ports and trying changing some values via Esys (all I found over all forum).
The FA/VO list includes all the elements.

ISTA obviously doesn't recognise the problem.

1-any idea?
2-there some test on USB port I can make via ISTA?
3-where's the usb hub on this car?

All the answer will be appreciate

Last edited by LikeNo1; 08-11-2022 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 05:36 AM   #2
LikeNo1
Private
Rep

None?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 02:54 PM   #3
okayr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i

Do you know what i-Level it was updated to?
I had the problem you are describing on my pre-LCI however when I got the recall done for the DME it magically solved the issue. I had tried replacing fuses and even the port itself and all it needed was the i-Level update.
The updated i-Level I got was 21-11-535
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2022, 12:31 AM   #4
LikeNo1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by okayzac View Post
Do you know what i-Level it was updated to?
I had the problem you are describing on my pre-LCI however when I got the recall done for the DME it magically solved the issue. I had tried replacing fuses and even the port itself and all it needed was the i-Level update.
The updated i-Level I got was 21-11-535
Thanks

In my case seems I-level upgrade made the problem.

Actual I-Level is 22-03-510
Removing options related to the USB ports in the FA/VO list and add it again could be a solution?
Or makes some reset via ISTA?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 08:56 AM   #5
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I wasn't aware you could flash the istep via the usb port? Did you try to recode NBT? Take it back to the person that updated the istep for them to fix the USB ports
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 11:01 AM   #6
LikeNo1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
I wasn't aware you could flash the istep via the usb port? Did you try to recode NBT? Take it back to the person that updated the istep for them to fix the USB ports
>I wasn't aware you could flash the istep via the usb port?
Me too.

Recode the NBT needs to reload some FSC codes, right? I'm scared because I never done it.
Unfortunately who worked on my car is far from my location. I'm waiting for an appointment he never fixed. Than I'm looking for an alternative solution; I'm thinking to enable the 2nd USB port via esys and try plug an HSD cable or connect the actual HUB cable plugged on USB1.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 01:45 PM   #7
LikeNo1
Private
Rep

Some updates

Finally got some time to work on the problem.
I activated the USB2 port on the back of my NBT evo via esys
CDMM_USB_PORTS to usb1_usb2
USB_AVAILIBLE to aktiv
CDMM_USB_PORTS to usb1_usb2_sia

I connected a cable (rotate to 180degree) with an integrated USB port to the USB2 on the back of NBT evo and it works (seen like a snap-in-adpter on idrive, works like an usb drive)

Connected same cable to the USB1 (where is connected the original cable I presume goes to the USB HUB) and it works.

Both ports USB1 and USB2 on the back of the NBT evo unit are ok.
So the problem could be the USB HUB.

It is located under the glove box in the armrest.
USB HUB is visibile, but is difficult to work on with hands by the thiny space.
It seems ok.

Strange thing is changing esys values in the field "USB_HUB_AVAIL > hub_on_usb1" or "hub_on_usb2" or "none" the new cable works in any case, the original HUB USB cable make same signal (led on pen drive goes on for 1-2 sec then goes off).

So it could be too that a reprogramming the system wake up the HUB.

Any comments?

Last edited by LikeNo1; 08-11-2022 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 12:38 PM   #8
LikeNo1
Private
Rep

Last update

Yesterday I was checking both USB ports behind the NBT evo and both were ok.

I studied on ista+: the USB-HUB under the armrest is coded like A135, bmw part number 9355549; on that part there are 4 ports:
A135*1B is the alimentation;
A135*3B in-line from the NBT evo

A135*2B out-line to the usb over the cup holder;
A135*4B out-line to the usb in the armrest.

The alimentation goes to the fuse box on the rear right; the fuse number is the F125 and it was ok so finally I presume that USB-HUB is not working.

So I decided to use the original cables to the USB-HUB bypassing it and connect both USB ports like this:
I took the original in-line cable from NBT USB1 port disconnected from A135*2B and connect it direct to the usb socket in the armrest; took the short cable disconnected from the A135*2B and connect it from NBT USB2 to the USB socket over the cup holder.

I cutted some "tabs" on the plugs to match the socket or rotated it to 180deg.
All is working perfectly.

Last step I coded out the USB_HUB_AVAIL > hub_on_usb1" to "none" (not necessary).

Hope it helps!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 05:23 AM   #9
Kimd41
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeNo1 View Post
Last update

Yesterday I was checking both USB ports behind the NBT evo and both were ok.

I studied on ista+: the USB-HUB under the armrest is coded like A135, bmw part number 9355549; on that part there are 4 ports:
A135*1B is the alimentation;
A135*3B in-line from the NBT evo

A135*2B out-line to the usb over the cup holder;
A135*4B out-line to the usb in the armrest.

The alimentation goes to the fuse box on the rear right; the fuse number is the F125 and it was ok so finally I presume that USB-HUB is not working.

So I decided to use the original cables to the USB-HUB bypassing it and connect both USB ports like this:
I took the original in-line cable from NBT USB1 port disconnected from A135*2B and connect it direct to the usb socket in the armrest; took the short cable disconnected from the A135*2B and connect it from NBT USB2 to the USB socket over the cup holder.

I cutted some "tabs" on the plugs to match the socket or rotated it to 180deg.
All is working perfectly.

Last step I coded out the USB_HUB_AVAIL > hub_on_usb1" to "none" (not necessary).

Hope it helps!
So basically you bypassed the hub and directly connected each USB to the USB1 and USB2 ports on the HU respectively, right?

Thanks, I'm having the same problem but on a F80.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2022, 09:18 AM   #10
LikeNo1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimd41 View Post
So basically you bypassed the hub and directly connected each USB to the USB1 and USB2 ports on the HU respectively, right?

Thanks, I'm having the same problem but on a F80.
Right.

Try first to connect wires disconnected from HUB directly on both ports behind the NBT like I did (I think one of those has to be activated via esys).

Let us know
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 06:08 AM   #11
Kimd41
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeNo1 View Post
Right.

Try first to connect wires disconnected from HUB directly on both ports behind the NBT like I did (I think one of those has to be activated via esys).

Let us know
Today I finally got time to do this, and in my case its still not working.

After cutting tabs and rotating 180, I connected the black cable coming from HU directly to USB in armrest, and used the short cable from USB armrest to usb hub to make the connection between cupholder usb and HU. I also tried rotating the cable 180 and without rotating, nothing.

Still nothing works, I'm about to give up on USB for this car. Will try some more and post here if I get any updates if anyone is on the same page.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 04:20 AM   #12
LikeNo1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimd41 View Post
Today I finally got time to do this, and in my case its still not working.

After cutting tabs and rotating 180, I connected the black cable coming from HU directly to USB in armrest, and used the short cable from USB armrest to usb hub to make the connection between cupholder usb and HU. I also tried rotating the cable 180 and without rotating, nothing.

Still nothing works, I'm about to give up on USB for this car. Will try some more and post here if I get any updates if anyone is on the same page.
Hi there.
have you tried to plug the long cable coming from HU to the USB over the cuphoder too? Try to close car and then open again after about 30min.
Then try to rotate 180° and repeate.

Once I did similar thing on a F20 and only after some hours it worked.

Maybe the second port on HU need to be activated via esys.
Appreciate 0