BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-27-2023, 09:27 PM   #1
drukpa
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Transfer case issue, disconnect fuse

I just replaced the front differential on my f25 x3 xDrive 28i with a used one. The old one had cracked due to a pothole hit.

After replacing, I noticed that the car shudders while pulling away (1st to 2nd), also makes a droning sound. Once up to speed the sound goes away.

Also, the car is little hesitant while going up an incline.

I removed fuse 37 (4x4) under the glove box and all problems disappeared except for a driving stabilization warning on the dash. No ABS or Airbag light.

Don't know if it's a bad front differential or the transfer case going bad. Have had the fluids replaced on both of them. The replacement was done at a independent workshop. May be the front differential was not properly installed?

Is it okay to drive the car with the xDrive fused pulled? Am I going to further damage other parts on the car driving like this?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 03:52 AM   #2
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

If everything was fine before the pothole I would say they installed a differential with the wrong gear ratio
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 03:26 PM   #3
Brandoch
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M3 DCT

Garage List
Take it back to the shop who did the work. Why try to diagnose it your self?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 05:12 PM   #4
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandoch View Post
Take it back to the shop who did the work. Why try to diagnose it your self?
This is what needs to be done. You paid for something to be fixed and it sounds like it’s NOT fixed. Plain and simple…
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 08:10 PM   #5
drukpa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_KID View Post
This is what needs to be done. You paid for something to be fixed and it sounds like it’s NOT fixed. Plain and simple…
The shop is a little far away and don't have the time. Meanwhile, would like to know if I drive locally with the xdrive fuse disconnected would I be doing any more damage?

Car runs fine with the fuse disconnected, no shuddering or clunks, just a "Driving Stabilization warning/DSC" on the dash and can't change between NORMAL/SPORTS/SPORTS+ modes. There are no ABS/Airbag warnings.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 05:47 PM   #6
esurreal
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, BMW 325i

I recently did this a few days ago. It's driving so much smoother now. I know my transfer case must be going out. Already changed the fluid and calibrated it at my indy shop, but the shuddering is still there. Pulled the fuse and it feels normal now. How has the pulled fuse been treating you, everything ok? From what I've been reading, it shouldn't damage anything, but I'd like some real world advice.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 09:48 AM   #7
drukpa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esurreal View Post
I recently did this a few days ago. It's driving so much smoother now. I know my transfer case must be going out. Already changed the fluid and calibrated it at my indy shop, but the shuddering is still there. Pulled the fuse and it feels normal now. How has the pulled fuse been treating you, everything ok? From what I've been reading, it shouldn't damage anything, but I'd like some real world advice.
I am still driving with the fuse pulled. No problems so far. This disables the transfer case clutch, don't think anything is going to be damaged driving like this (am not 100% sure though).
Going to order a rebuild kit to repair the transfer case soon.
Appreciate 0