BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-03-2020, 07:53 PM   #45
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I wonder if a large zip-tie tighten around the area that broke would reduce the likelihood of the stock pipe breaking? Not sure how well it will fit.

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 09:26 PM   #46
McNuggetz
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 X3 28i, '18 Focus ST

Anyone install the FTP kit or Turner silicone kit on a N20 X3? All this talk about popping oem pipes has me looking at ordering a set for peace of mind. Wifes X3, but do not want her stranded one day from a piece of plastic if I can prevent it. Thanks in advance!
      06-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #47
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuggetz View Post
Anyone install the FTP kit or Turner silicone kit on a N20 X3? All this talk about popping oem pipes has me looking at ordering a set for peace of mind. Wifes X3, but do not want her stranded one day from a piece of plastic if I can prevent it. Thanks in advance!
Havent heard of this issue on the N20's, only N55's...
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 1
dtox9336.00
      06-12-2020, 12:35 AM   #48
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I was looking at a ebay charge/boost pipe kit. It ships from the USA.

Not sure of the quality/fit/finish. It doesn't have the hose port connection on the side, not sure if the one from the stock pipe transfers over? Anyone try one of them? Do you get what you pay for? It may or may not be a good alternative. I'm not willing to be the Guinea pig

Ebay kit:
Name:  charge pipe.JPG
Views: 1331
Size:  80.9 KB

FTP kit:
Name:  charge pipe ftp.JPG
Views: 1303
Size:  76.9 KB

Edited to put the correct FTP pic.

Last edited by pungo; 06-12-2020 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 08:09 AM   #49
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post

Not sure of the quality/fit/finish. It also includes the boost pipe. It doesn't have the hose port connection on the side, not sure if the one from the stock pipe transfers over? Anyone try one of them? Do you get what you pay for? It may or may not be a good alternative. I'm not willing to be the Guinea pig
pungo I don't know the answer to your question but when looking at the seller on eBay and reading through the feedback and considering the low price, I would not buy that product or from that seller. Many of the negative comments has to do with improper fit of car parts. Their price is about half of almost all other sites, just makes me suspicious. However, maybe a few will respond who actually bought it and would have some good feedback.

After reading through this topic, I'm interested as I'm on my original charge pipe at 83K miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 11:41 AM   #50
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:

Not sure of the quality/fit/finish. It also includes the boost pipe. It doesn't have the hose port connection on the side, not sure if the one from the stock pipe transfers over? Anyone try one of them? Do you get what you pay for? It may or may not be a good alternative. I'm not willing to be the Guinea pig
you didnt get the right FTP picture for the F25 with N55 engine:

https://www.ftpmotorsport.com.tw/pro...ipe-boost-pipe
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 12:46 PM   #51
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
you didnt get the right FTP picture for the F25 with N55 engine:
Thanks, I added the correct pic, shouldn't make posts when tired.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 12:21 PM   #52
BigMF
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 - BMW X3 35I

BMW newbie, any instructions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatg View Post
Does anyone have install instructions? Having trouble finding a diy. Just ordered the vrsf charge pipe. Thanks.
I too would love to find some instructions for this. I'm pretty adept at working on my big Lexus LX570 but working on my daughter's X3 will be the first BMW for me. I hear terms like intercooler and am immediately lost. Is there an official service manual that I can download with the steps?

I've asked the local foreign car shop but the soonest they can even look at it to give us an estimate is 10 days from now! I'm a quick learner and can usually figure things out but my daughter is taking this to college as soon as I can get it fixed so I want to be sure I do the repair properly.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 01:50 PM   #53
BigMF
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 - BMW X3 35I

Dealer repair cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMF View Post
I too would love to find some instructions for this. I'm pretty adept at working on my big Lexus LX570 but working on my daughter's X3 will be the first BMW for me. I hear terms like intercooler and am immediately lost. Is there an official service manual that I can download with the steps?

I've asked the local foreign car shop but the soonest they can even look at it to give us an estimate is 10 days from now! I'm a quick learner and can usually figure things out but my daughter is taking this to college as soon as I can get it fixed so I want to be sure I do the repair properly.
All, I was digging around some and it looks like a relatively simple fix to replace the charge pipe. However, simple does not always mean easy and quick. Just that it's not overly complicated with a ton of parts to move, disconnect, etc. I would just be worried about my lack of knowledge and doing the job correctly. If I had a repair manual and 2 weeks I would feel much more confident.

Would you say it's more than 2 hours worth of labor for an experienced BMW mechanic? I'm seriously considering paying the dealer to do it and eat the labor based on the time crunch I'm under. They can get it in middle of next week
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 06:17 PM   #54
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

All, I was digging around some and it looks like a relatively simple fix to replace the charge pipe. However, simple does not always mean easy and quick. Just that it's not overly complicated with a ton of parts to move, disconnect, etc. I would just be worried about my lack of knowledge and doing the job correctly. If I had a repair manual and 2 weeks I would feel much more confident.

Would you say it's more than 2 hours worth of labor for an experienced BMW mechanic? I'm seriously considering paying the dealer to do it and eat the labor based on the time crunch I'm under. They can get it in middle of next week
I can do the swap in less than an hour personally.. so 2 is up to you
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 12:58 AM   #55
hyperiongate
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2012 X3 35i

New OEM CP kept popping off - Hose clamped it

It seems we all have bought the X3s for our wives... as did I.
And, we all blew the charge pipes...driving their cars...as did I.

2012 X3 35i

Driving from LA to Phoenix Wednesday before Thanksgiving, went to pass, hit the gas, RPM jumped to 6 or 7K and POP! Pulled over, didn't see it immediately, limped to my parent's house. Pulled off the cover and saw the exploded CP.

NOTE: Remove the coolant pipe that crosses over the charge pipe and save yourself $50. It gets in the way and it is probably very brittle like all the other plastic crap in the engine compartment...

Got an OEM replacement for $365 from the dealer on Friday, replaced it in about an hour. I was very ginger with it driving around town, but I had to see if it was good under stress. A couple of good hard accelerations and it seemed ok. The third time [it's a charm] POP! Fortunately, it did not explode it just popped off the intake. Snapped it back on. Went back to easy mode for a while. Needless to say, it would pop off every time I pressed 6,000 RPM or more.

Had a good idea...Got a 4" or 5" stainless steel hose clamp from the plumbing department at home depot. Put that baby around the fitting where the metal clips seemed to have kept popping out and now it's all good.
Over a year and 25,000 miles later no problems.

I will definitely buy the aftermarket charge pipe if it happens again.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 06:51 AM   #56
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperiongate View Post

I will definitely buy the aftermarket charge pipe if it happens again.
It will, it's a matter of time. Buy the metal unit and replace when you have the time. Sell the OEM one.

Never worry about this happening again, wherever you (or your wife) are.

And yes, my wifes vehicle, that I drive more than her. My other car is a z4 :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 06:47 PM   #57
X3Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 X3 35i - %E2%80%9821 X3 M4

Anyone tried the Turner CP?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 11:56 AM   #58
sbacchus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3Bimmer View Post
I have it on my car, pain in the ass to get clocked correctly and the bung is a bit longer than OEM which creates some fitment issues. All in all I wish I had gone with FTP.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 07:43 AM   #59
X3Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 X3 35i - %E2%80%9821 X3 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbacchus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3Bimmer View Post
I have it on my car, pain in the ass to get clocked correctly and the bung is a bit longer than OEM which creates some fitment issues. All in all I wish I had gone with FTP.
After Turner CP install, no issues thus far…
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 12:20 PM   #60
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

My wife's 2012 X3 35 has over 100k miles. The charge pipe popped off after I changed the valve cover gasket and valve cover. I didn't have it on securely and got reduced driving mode on the test drive. Put it on properly and a year later, doing fine. Why is it the wives seem to drive the X3s in the family.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 01:23 PM   #61
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & LCI X3 35i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Just wanted to add to this thread.

My 16' charge pipe exploded at 45k miles. It looks very similar to all of the pictures in this thread.
I DIY'd the VRSF charge pipe and ended up redoing it three times as every time it would go into a weird misfire type idle after you would press the gas/it would idle for about a minute. I originally thought I had installed it wrong, had the o-rings backwards etc, not the case. Ended up towing it to a shop who simply reset the adaptations (after a smoke leak test and much troubleshooting) and it was good to go. The DIY is actually quite simple if you have two people, one person up top and one person down low. Good luck all. Trying to do my best to document what I've done as we all know there's not much info on these cars on the forums.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 01:29 PM   #62
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

I know my replies are LATE (totally forgot to keep tabs on this thread), but heck, why not

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS4EX View Post
You really had a hard time with it? I found it to be much easier than I thought. You can pull up through the throttle body area past the coolant tank as long as you're turning it the proper way with a little tugging, just mind you're not snagging anything like a sensor or wire loom. Had mine out maybe within five minutes or less
it was def snagging looms and stuff. I guess I simply lack the skill of others

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdubq View Post
You’ve probably checked this... but I had a similar thought the other day... and it’s summer. Is it your HVAC system you’re hearing? Have you tried turning off the A/C and see if the noise goes away?

My funky noise in boost was coming from a/c working hard.
found the cause, it was a boost leak. the bms intake was not seated straight

Quote:
I'm not willing to be the Guinea pig

Ebay kit:
Attachment 2336512
I purchased an ebay CP for my e70 x5 (n55), fitment was great! install portion took no more than 10 mins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90705 View Post
It's prob boost leak, recheck everything.
you called it, boost leak!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 08:45 PM   #63
ThomasR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X3 M40i

Garage List
Add me to the list. I had the FTP charge pipe on with a VRSF intercooler and am returning the X3 back to stock. I put the original OEM pipe I had in storage on today with the OEM IC. OEM tune went out for a quick drive tonight right after installing it. 15 minutes in and a quick full throttle run and pop! Soooo the FTP charge pipe is going back on tomorrow. LOL. My aim was to sell the IC and FTP pipes together as a package deal. Now it will be the FTP boost pipe and the VRSF intercooler. $399 for the OEM boost pipe is outrageous, even for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 03:18 PM   #64
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

if you need a stock CP you can have mine for $0

(just cover shipping)
Appreciate 0