BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #111
HampshireUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i (2019)

The ability to ride so well on 21” wheels and run flat tyres compared to my M235i on passive suspension, far better on the X3 than I imagined,

Will I swap the Bridgestone RFT for Pirelli Pzero’s when they are worn out , time will tell but an option
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 07:15 AM   #112
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Not sure is this has been noted but I found an interesting change to the stop/start mechanism. In my old 35d you pull up in traffic, engine cuts out (depending on circumstances) and you take foot off brake and engine kicks in.

On this new 2018 model it seems to detect car in front moving away and starts the engine for your even though you have foot on the big pedal. Nice :-)

Also, I used to ALWAYS go to manual shift mode in old car because I didn't like the gear changes. This new one is soooooo much better and gear shifts I am actually letting it do the work (unless I'm pumping it!).

Oh, and Apple Car Play is way cool.
Appreciate 1
Dogu4.50
      12-11-2018, 09:42 AM   #113
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Lot's of things can be surprising without reading the manual first
nogren327.00
      12-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #114
rem40i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC Comp

There is what feels like felt on the seat belt buckle on the side that is closest to the center console. Maybe its to prevent the buckle from scratching the side of the console?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 02:47 PM   #115
OttoMobilia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: it varies on my mood 😊

Garage List
subbed
 | Driving Assistance Pkg| Driving Assistance Plus Pkg | Executive Pkg | Premium Pkg | F & R Heated Seats
 | Trailer Hitch
 | Wireless Charging and WiFi Hotspot
 | Adaptive M Suspension
 | M Sport Diff | H K sound
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #116
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
Not sure is this has been noted but I found an interesting change to the stop/start mechanism. In my old 35d you pull up in traffic, engine cuts out (depending on circumstances) and you take foot off brake and engine kicks in.

On this new 2018 model it seems to detect car in front moving away and starts the engine for your even though you have foot on the big pedal. Nice :-)

Also, I used to ALWAYS go to manual shift mode in old car because I didn't like the gear changes. This new one is soooooo much better and gear shifts I am actually letting it do the work (unless I'm pumping it!).

Oh, and Apple Car Play is way cool.
Yes, the ASS is intelligent enough to start the engine when the car in front of you moves. However, if you are the first car at the red light, it does not recognize light changing to green yet... :
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #117
munna
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Yes, the ASS is intelligent enough to start the engine when the car in front of you moves. However, if you are the first car at the red light, it does not recognize light changing to green yet... :
This only works for me if I have Automatic cruise control enabled. Otherwise nothing happens and the engine remains off
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #118
focker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna View Post
This only works for me if I have Automatic cruise control enabled. Otherwise nothing happens and the engine remains off

Mine works every time at a stop light when traffic in front of me moves forward without ACC activated.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 05:15 PM   #119
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Just about everyone whom commented on this reported having the system working properly. I suggest you experiment with stopping your car closer to the one in front (maybe half a car length) and let the radar sensor 'sees' the car in front.

if it still won't work after trying a few more times, then you might want to get it checked out by your dealer. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
focker155.00
      12-11-2018, 06:55 PM   #120
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem40i View Post
There is what feels like felt on the seat belt buckle on the side that is closest to the center console. Maybe its to prevent the buckle from scratching the side of the console?
I first saw this felt on my 2014 Grand Cherokee. I believe it's there to prevent a rattle.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 08:42 PM   #121
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

We're in Central Florida and tonight I really appreciated having a heated steering wheel! When I bought the X3 I thought I was paying for a button I would never use :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:44 PM   #122
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
So, I noticed in the 2019 X3, the truck curtain is actually in a rail that prevents you from pulling the drape upward, scratching and scuffing the interior sides with the horizontal catch bar. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally pulled it high and I scratch the sides, and even worse - slightly dented and scratched up one of the rear speaker grills...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 04:02 AM   #123
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
In the driver guide app I have it is under the heading 'Intelligent Auto Start Stop system', it makes reference dependant on equipment fitted and region but dosen't go into any further detail
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 04:04 AM   #124
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem40i View Post
I first saw this felt on my 2014 Grand Cherokee. I believe it's there to prevent a rattle.
I've noticed there's also felt along the sides of seat bases where it disappears into plastic frame, I wonder if that is to prevent creaks?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 04:29 AM   #125
ep22jg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
In the driver guide app I have it is under the heading 'Intelligent Auto Start Stop system', it makes reference dependant on equipment fitted and region but dosen't go into any further detail
I think you need to have ACC and/or Driving Assistance Plus, for it to detect a car moving off. It uses the radars that come with those options, whether they are activated or not
I only have Driving Assistance, so mine doesn't do it!!
      12-12-2018, 07:58 AM   #126
MediaMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0dM, Phytonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
If it's anything like wife's Mini, there's a number of conditions to satisfy before it works - external temp not under 3C, overall battery condition and charge level, whether AC is on demand, and so on.

Can be a pain in some traffic conditions but ideal at traffic lights with long wait sequences.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #127
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Mine also doesn't start if the car in front of me takes off, It only does that if I have ACC on.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #128
munna
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Mine also doesn't start if the car in front of me takes off, It only does that if I have ACC on.
I see you are located in Canada. I wonder if it's a region related because I have all the necessary hardware and in Canada as well
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #129
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I see you are located in Canada. I wonder if it's a region related because I have all the necessary hardware and in Canada as well
Could be.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #130
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Could be.
Maybe you guys can also check if you both have the latest softwares too? Not sure if the software versions have anything to do with the AI used to control ASS but I guess it won't hurt.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 11:38 AM   #131
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 i30xdrive

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Could be.
Maybe you guys can also check if you both have the latest softwares too? Not sure if the software versions have anything to do with the AI used to control ASS but I guess it won't hurt.
I live in Canada (Vancouver area, west coast boyee) and mine will auto start the engine when the car in front of me takes off, whether I'm in acc or not. love it. it's like a warning to get my ass in gear if I've been rooting around the glovebox for something.... or yelling at the kids in the back to keep it the f down. lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 11:38 AM   #132
PHM40i
Rep

I initially got our X3 M40i thinking it would be my wife's car. Now I have a big problem to solve
Appreciate 1
Ragnarkov126.50