BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-28-2020, 10:19 AM   #1
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Wrapped My V-Brace

I always thought this looked cool so I wanted to do it.

My goal was to match the color of the ///M calipers and I found that 3M 1080 G217 Gloss DEEP Blue Metallic matched very well.

The hardest part was trying to get the ends of the brace wrapped well due to parts in the way. If I have to do it again I will try to remove the entire brace but I am hoping it will hold up. It's my first attempt at wrapping but pretty happy with the way it turned out (the parts you can see anyway ). It's subtle but noticeable in the sun.

Speaking of, I have to get some pics in the sun...

I'll probably tackle the engine braces next. Fun and cheap project with the exception of my grills not wanting to come out.

Appreciate 9
AlexFL7837.00
pluckydks621.50
smithf802808.50
cfm56d7b5886.00
r33_RGSport12967.50
leon360x139.50
      05-28-2020, 03:16 PM   #2
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

looks good! the engine brace was on my list too and would be carbon - cant decide on colour for v-brace and carbon would be invisible
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2020, 03:25 PM   #3
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzg1969 View Post
looks good! the engine brace was on my list too and would be carbon - cant decide on colour for v-brace and carbon would be invisible
Thanks!

I'm back and forth on carbon fiber or the blue for the engine braces as well. I really like the blue though I'm afraid it may look a bit much. I do like pop though.

For the braces, how about matching to your interior color (if you have red or yellow)?

The braces are so hidden most people won't notice they are wrapped regardless of color unless they see it head on.

When you decide, please post up some pics!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 03:59 PM   #4
BeyondVision
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M; Alfa Romeo Stelvio

I did mine last night! Didn't remove the bar either and would agree for a proper clean wrapping that would be the best bet...but honestly wasn't an ROI for me there. It looks fine and you can't see the top because it is blocked by the grill. Wanted to match the msport blue just like you, but took a risk for $15 bucks on amazon for a matte metallic that imo is understated and turned out great. When I was looking closely at the brake calipers and blue in the logo and the M, it all seemed different depending on the lighting condition and the shadows so I don't think its worth the hassle (or price) to find the match. Some poor pics during it:

Edit...fixed
Attached Images

Last edited by BeyondVision; 05-28-2020 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7837.00
r33_RGSport12967.50
      05-28-2020, 04:01 PM   #5
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondVision View Post
I did mine last night! Didn't remove the bar either and would agree for a proper clean wrapping that would be the best bet...but honestly wasn't an ROI for me there. It looks fine and you can't see the top because it is blocked by the grill. Wanted to match the msport blue just like you, but took a risk for $15 bucks on amazon for a matte metallic that imo is understated and turned out great. When I was looking closely at the brake calipers and blue in the logo and the M, it all seemed different depending on the lighting condition and the shadows so I don't think its worth the hassle (or price) to find the match. Some poor pics during it:

Edit...don't know why the pics flipped over...don't have time to fix it right now...sorry
Now true Lions fan!
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2020, 05:13 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Very nice touch! Looks good.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 05:21 PM   #7
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Edit...don't know why the pics flipped over...don't have time to fix it right now...sorry
Looks great!

Like me, it looks like you finished late and were looking forward to seeing it in the sun

It's been cloudy since last night but I'll take a pic on Sunday when it is, ironically, supposed to be sunny
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 07:36 PM   #8
BeyondVision
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Looks great!

Like me, it looks like you finished late and were looking forward to seeing it in the sun

It's been cloudy since last night but I'll take a pic on Sunday when it is, ironically, supposed to be sunny
Exactly right! Been rainy and cloudy here too. Interested to see what it looks like when it is sunny. Here is a picture I took earlier in the evening. Shows the blue a little bit better which seems to match the logo
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 07:45 PM   #9
BeyondVision
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Now true Lions fan!
forever a sad and desperate lions fan
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7837.00
      05-28-2020, 08:02 PM   #10
Jiovanny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

I wrapped mine in red. Love the looks...they're also reflective
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 08:21 PM   #11
AMIR_
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC

I LOVE the way this looks. I want to do the blue badly. How difficult was it to take off the grille?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 09:34 PM   #12
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Looks good guys.

I was debating to change mine from RaceChip orange to Carbon Fiber, but, CF is kinda hard to see.
It doesn't stand out.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 09:37 PM   #13
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Looks good guys.

I was debating to change mine from RaceChip orange to Carbon Fiber, but, CF is kinda hard to see.
It doesn't stand out.
Change to pink. It will stand out 👍
Appreciate 3
      05-28-2020, 09:44 PM   #14
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Looks good guys.

It doesn't stand out.
Again, you are ruining the surprise,
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7837.00
      05-28-2020, 09:51 PM   #15
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
That's be so cute.
Appreciate 3
AlexFL7837.00
r33_RGSport12967.50
FrankieNuo1219.00
      05-28-2020, 10:49 PM   #16
larsmin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
I always thought this looked cool so I wanted to do it.

My goal was to match the color of the ///M calipers and I found that 3M 1080 G217 Gloss DEEP Blue Metallic matched very well.

The hardest part was trying to get the ends of the brace wrapped well due to parts in the way. If I have to do it again I will try to remove the entire brace but I am hoping it will hold up. It's my first attempt at wrapping but pretty happy with the way it turned out (the parts you can see anyway ). It's subtle but noticeable in the sun.

Speaking of, I have to get some pics in the sun...

I'll probably tackle the engine braces next. Fun and cheap project with the exception of my grills not wanting to come out.

Looking good. Miss that the empire state plate.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 01:20 AM   #17
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:
Thanks!
For the braces, how about matching to your interior color (if you have red or yellow)?
interior is black, so......

caliper blue like yours is currently fave
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 02:39 AM   #18
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

hmmm too much time or first world problem ?
      05-29-2020, 06:01 AM   #19
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:

Edit...fixed
Quote:

Edit...fixed
Very good job.

Are you able to briefly describe how you did it from the step after removing the grills? I've bought some stuff to put on but not 100% sure of best process. is it as simple as cutting a 2 inch wide strip and placing it on? Did you clean the strut first etc?

Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 08:07 AM   #20
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIR_ View Post
I LOVE the way this looks. I want to do the blue badly. How difficult was it to take off the grille?
It's supposed to be easy, but mine was a PITA.

Here is the process:

The issue I had was the tabs on the side of the grill would not let go. I broke that clip on the passenger side, but was able to get a plastic pry tool in on the driver's side to release it. I epoxied the broken clip back on so good to go again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsmin View Post
Looking good. Miss that the empire state plate.
I refused to upgrade to the hidious mustard plates so I've been holding onto these for 15 years! They say a redesign was pending in April but I have not heard anything further. It didn't look great but better than the current.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzg1969 View Post
interior is black, so......

caliper blue like yours is currently fave
Yes, wrapping in black would be silly Though, I did notice some scratches on mine likely from road debris. The blue I used is in my 1st post. Post back yours once you decide on a color and install!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerthBMW View Post
Very good job.

Are you able to briefly describe how you did it from the step after removing the grills? I've bought some stuff to put on but not 100% sure of best process. is it as simple as cutting a 2 inch wide strip and placing it on? Did you clean the strut first etc?

Thanks...
1) Clean with denatured alcohol (this is much better than rubbing alcohol which I learned contains some oil). It's a great grease/sticker remover as well and has proven safe on paint and carpet. You can get it in the paint isle at HD or Lowes.

2) Wash your hands - even though you cannot help touching the bar as you wrap it, it is a good idea to minimize dirt/oil.

3) Measure the length with a tape measure, then take a piece of paper and wrap it around to get the circumference and measure that by marking a slight (~1/4") overlap. I learned it is best to have the wrap overlap itself. I cut mine to 16 1/2" x 3 1/2".

4) I tried to just peal away the backing lengthwise in order not to expose more than I could work with. Because of the limited space, this didn't work out so well so I took off the entire backing. Make sure you don't let the vinyl grab onto anything.

5) Start in the middle of the wrap and front of the bar from the top to the bottom. I was only really concerned with what showed.

6) Once lined up, press down with your finger and push out any air bubbles from the center front middle to the back of the bar. Try to stick down only what is smooth and watch out for wrinkles.

7) Work the length small sections at a time then start again from the top and push further to the back. Repeat until it is all stuck down.

8) Now do the same starting from the front of the bar down back to the underside so it wraps around the back.

9) The ends of the bar are the hardest due to the shape and limited space. You may want to cut yours shorter as it will need to be pushed back past some of the car body on an angle.

That's what I did anyway. The vinyl is pretty forgiving (you can peel it back up) but can stretch or rip.

There are several vids on YouTube. Here's one where he took the bars off:

Appreciate 1
vampire81434.50
      05-29-2020, 08:12 AM   #21
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Exactly right! Been rainy and cloudy here too. Interested to see what it looks like when it is sunny. Here is a picture I took earlier in the evening. Shows the blue a little bit better which seems to match the logo
That blue matches the logo great!

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 11:29 AM   #22
BeyondVision
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
That blue matches the logo great!

Thanks man! Your color ways looks great too. Don't think you can go wrong with both of these shades of blue. I had contemplated about white, but was afraid it would show dirt or bug splatter too easily.

Pretty much followed the same steps that you said, although I didn't worry too much about perfectly wrapping behind the bar because you can't see it. I started as close to the top of the v brace first (around the flat edge) and worked my way down to press the vinyl in the center of the vbrace, then proceeded to wrap around one side and then the other to ensure no bubbles.

Overall it took me like 30 min. I hate removing the grill because of the amount of pressure you need to apply to the 3 clips at the top.
Appreciate 0