BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-28-2020, 12:59 PM   #1
LPhiESmacks10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 N55 M-Sport

56BD – EGS: Clutch, gears 2 and 6: neutral test

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone else has had experience with this:

My wife's 2007 X3 (only 69k miles) was acting up recently. She was driving at normal speed 30-50mph and all of a sudden shifting was jerky. Yellow transmission indicator came on. She pulled over, turned the car off, the back on. Put the car in D and tried to drive, the car did not move, only revved up. She attempted to turn the car off and on again, and then the car drove fine.

Took it into stealership yesterday and they found the "56BD – EGS: Clutch, gears 2 and 6: neutral test" code. Told me they want to replace the entire transmission for $8k.

Did some research and some articles say that this code may be due to a "broken selector shaft rod", which would not require an entire transmission rebuild or replacement. Anyone have the same experience? If we really have to go the route of a new transmission, may look into getting another car.

thanks in advance!

Last edited by LPhiESmacks10; 01-28-2020 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 05:50 PM   #2
X3MS
MARANATHA!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3 M-Sport

Yep, sounds like the valve body selector rod.

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 07:01 AM   #3
LPhiESmacks10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 N55 M-Sport

thank you!

I will take it to another shop to see if that's what it is.
      07-12-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
Denver X
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i xdrive M-Package

Garage List
Same Code (0056BD) Different Problem.

I have an 2007 BMW X3 with about 82,000 miles on it. Just did a trans oil change and (maybe wrong) reset the adaptive setting (gas pedal 30 sec ...) Now it has issues with the second gear if you push the car, the rpm fluctuate and sometime it behaves like the traction control is kicking in. If you floor it from stand still it behaves almost as a CVT transmission between 1 and 2. sooner or later the yellow transmission light comes on and a fault code 0056BD - clutch gear 2 and 6 neutral test is stored.. Lights go off after car is tuned off and back on.
The car has no issues if I shift it manually. Shifts are smooth and relatively quick. Could this be a computer issue or mechatronics issue? I am really hoping it is not a clutch or gear issue but don't think it is since it shifts fine manually.

I have rechecked the fluid and it was a little low after the initial fill but is all good now. Used Liqui Moly Top Tec 1800 ATF for fluid
Appreciate 0