BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #89
rem40i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC Comp

Did anyone get any fault codes or error notifications when pulling any of the fuses?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 02:41 PM   #90
gugin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
Given the concern about the voice recognition, I tried a couple commands to test - seemed fine so far.
What is the concern about the voice recognition?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #91
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
Given the concern about the voice recognition, I tried a couple commands to test - seemed fine so far.
What is the concern about the voice recognition?
: I have the same question...

Maybe someone thought that when ASD is off, the car computer may not recognize us any more since our voice is now less throaty?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 07:16 AM   #92
TJNies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post

Maybe someone thought that when ASD is off, the car computer may not recognize us any more since our voice is now less throaty?
Seems fine; I tested some commands and they worked as expected.

I'm thrilled to lose the piped-in noise. The actual mechanical voice is sufficient for me. As others have said, the stereo doesn't have to compete, and sounds better as a bonus.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 07:22 AM   #93
TJNies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post

Back in post #74, Supersebbo said:
"Looking at the diagrams, the only remaining concern I have it that if you pull the fuse on the HK system it may leave the ASD analogue inputs to the HK amp floating, which might cause buzz/interference. That said, fuse pulling will be better than disconnecting the cable because the ASD module will at least stay connected to the common vehicle ground voltage.

Seems fine; I tested some commands and they worked as expected.

I'm thrilled to lose the piped-in noise. The actual mechanical voice is sufficient for me. As others have said, the stereo doesn't have to compete, and sounds better as a bonus.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 08:13 AM   #94
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Installed the ASD harness on our HK system yesterday - a definite improvement for us even without music. Would also agree with others' comments about music sounding much better as well.

For those still unsure about installation (and who don't wish to code it off or remove the fuse), here are additional step-by-step photos to complement TX3M's excellent initial images. These show the slot the ASD side tab slides in- and out- of on the blind side not visible in most pictures, the 8mm wrench size needed for the ASD nut, how a towel made supporting the heavier amp easier, use of a socket to hold the 8mm nut when replacing (I kept dropping it), and a tie to hold the plug union tight against the frame. Thanks again for the thread, TX3M.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
MechX3M40i1006.00
abcsoup184.50
Jcrane19.50
weez271.50
      02-12-2019, 05:13 PM   #95
Bolt1949
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

Garage List
2024 BMW 40i  [0.00]
Fuse pull did the trick

Thanks to the many great tips in this thread, I pulled fuse 218 and disconnected the ASD on my 2018 m40i (HK option). No issues have cropped up since doing so on 2/2/19. Pulling the fuse made a substantial difference in cabin sound level - it's much quieter in the cabin with ASD disconnected...almost too quiet. So far, I've been driving in Comfort mode, I haven't sampled the sound level in Sport modes. I wish the ASD level was a setting where the level could be set from zero to max. There are times when I might enjoy the faux engine sounds, but if it's either on or off, I think I'll likely stay with ASD off.
Appreciate 2
      02-12-2019, 08:47 PM   #96
b.guggenmos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M40I Phytonic Blue

So just to be clear as I have not received my car yet I did order an M40I with the HK stereo. I have nothing to code with but plan to in the future. I did not like the fake engine sound on the road test.

So does the jumper accomplish the same thing as pulling the fuse or does the jumper kill the fake sound and improve the sound quality of the radio system?

I am not opposed to buying the jumper but if it is the same as pulling the fuse then why buy the jumper?

Thank you,

Brian
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 10:07 PM   #97
SteveX3M40i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.guggenmos View Post
So just to be clear as I have not received my car yet I did order an M40I with the HK stereo. I have nothing to code with but plan to in the future. I did not like the fake engine sound on the road test.

So does the jumper accomplish the same thing as pulling the fuse or does the jumper kill the fake sound and improve the sound quality of the radio system?

I am not opposed to buying the jumper but if it is the same as pulling the fuse then why buy the jumper?

Thank you,

Brian
Hi Brian.
For cars equipped with the HK system - you just need to remove the fuse.
For cars equipped with standard audio system - you need the adaptor harness.
Cheers
Steve
Appreciate 1
Jcrane19.50
      02-12-2019, 10:34 PM   #98
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayareaX3m40i View Post
Thanks to the many great tips in this thread, I pulled fuse 218 and disconnected the ASD on my 2018 m40i (HK option). No issues have cropped up since doing so on 2/2/19. Pulling the fuse made a substantial difference in cabin sound level - it's much quieter in the cabin with ASD disconnected...almost too quiet. So far, I've been driving in Comfort mode, I haven't sampled the sound level in Sport modes. I wish the ASD level was a setting where the level could be set from zero to max. There are times when I might enjoy the faux engine sounds, but if it's either on or off, I think I'll likely stay with ASD off.
I pulled the fuse as well and would agree that the cabin is pretty quiet now. I did however also pull the fuse to keep both exhausts open at all times so that did help bring some of the real noise back into the cabin as does driving in sport mode.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #99
TX3M
Car guy
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
I pulled the fuse as well and would agree that the cabin is pretty quiet now. I did however also pull the fuse to keep both exhausts open at all times so that did help bring some of the real noise back into the cabin as does driving in sport mode.
Which fuse do you pull to to keep both exhausts open at all times? Does it affect anything else?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #100
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3M View Post
Quote:
Which fuse do you pull to to keep both exhausts open at all times? Does it affect anything else?
Fuse 203 is for the exhaust flap. Take a look at this thread:

X3 M40i Exhaust Mod https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1452260

Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #101
TX3M
Car guy
Rep

Quote:

Awesome, thank you!
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019074.00
      02-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #102
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Awesome, thank you!
You're welcome!

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #103
TX3M
Car guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveX3M40i View Post
Hi Brian.
For cars equipped with the HK system - you just need to remove the fuse.
For cars equipped with standard audio system - you need the adaptor harness.
Cheers
Steve
There is a difference between pulling the fuse and using the bypass harness (according to the posts in this thread):
- If you pull the fuse, it might result in an ASD fault code (we're waiting for someone who has pulled the fuse to report back after their next trip to the dealer), which may prevent the dealer from being able to perform software updates. You might have to put the fuse back in before visiting the dealer to avoid any issues (not a big deal, but worth mentioning)
- If you install the bypass harness: According to the Technic website, "The "ASD module is still operational and visible to the dealer computer so all OEM car software updates can be performed without ASD errors".

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have the ASD module disconnected on my HK equipped vehicle which has worked just fine. For convenience, I am purchasing the bypass harness just so I don't have to re-connect the ASD module (or put a fuse back in) every time I go to the dealer.

Last edited by TX3M; 02-19-2019 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 08:54 PM   #104
b.guggenmos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M40I Phytonic Blue

Quote:
There is a difference between pulling the fuse and using the bypass harness (according to the posts in this thread):
- If you pull the fuse, it will result in an ASD fault code which may prevent the dealer from being able to perform software updates. You have to put the fuse back in before visiting the dealer (not a big deal, but worth mentioning)
- If you install the bypass harness: According to the Technic website, "The "ASD module is still operational and visible to the dealer computer so all OEM car software updates can be performed without ASD errors".

I have the ASD module disconnected on my HK equipped vehicle which has worked just fine. For convenience, I am purchasing the bypass harness just so I don't have to re-connect the ASD module (or put a fuse back in) every time I go to the dealer.
That is what I was trying to understand. If pulling the fuse causes a fault code and the jumper harness does not then the jumper may make more sense in the long run?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 09:08 PM   #105
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I pulled the fuse and have not gotten any fault codes indicated on the dash or in iDrive. If there has been a fault code generated it was a silent one.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #106
SteveX3M40i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
- If you pull the fuse, it will result in an ASD fault code which may prevent the dealer from being able to perform software updates. You have to put the fuse back in before visiting the dealer (not a big deal, but worth mentioning)

Hi,
The point that I was making was more that if you don’t have the HK system - you must use the harness - as the fuse option will not work.
With the HK system - the simplest and cheapest option is to remove a fuse that takes a few seconds.
I can live with putting the fuse for this and the exhaust flap back, before every service - if required.
I am going to leave them out for my first service, out of interest - and am going to discuss this with the service manager to see firstly whether their diagnostic systems will pick up any faults and if so - whether this will cause any problems.
I will tell him that the fuses are in the glovebox and that they are welcome to replace them, if required.
Once I have all the correct information from BMW service - I can then make an informed judgement as whether to buy bypass harnesses, live with fuse in and out each service or just remove and forget!
Cheers
Steve
Appreciate 4
chicagofan0019074.00
MechX3M40i1006.00
london_v156.50
      02-15-2019, 08:11 AM   #107
TX3M
Car guy
Rep

Quote:
Hi,
The point that I was making was more that if you don’t have the HK system - you must use the harness - as the fuse option will not work.
With the HK system - the simplest and cheapest option is to remove a fuse that takes a few seconds.
I can live with putting the fuse for this and the exhaust flap back, before every service - if required.
I am going to leave them out for my first service, out of interest - and am going to discuss this with the service manager to see firstly whether their diagnostic systems will pick up any faults and if so - whether this will cause any problems.
I will tell him that the fuses are in the glovebox and that they are welcome to replace them, if required.
Once I have all the correct information from BMW service - I can then make an informed judgement as whether to buy bypass harnesses, live with fuse in and out each service or just remove and forget!
Cheers
Steve
Thanks Steve, please let us know how your next visit with the dealer goes!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 08:45 PM   #108
SteveX3M40i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Steve, please let us know how your next visit with the dealer goes!
Will do! (7500km to go)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 03:58 AM   #109
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:

Hi,
Cheers
Steve
Hi Steve, do you need to turn the car off before pulling this fuse? Or any another specific steps other than a simple pull? Many thanks. V
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 04:07 AM   #110
SteveX3M40i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by london_v View Post
Hi Steve, do you need to turn the car off before pulling this fuse? Or any another specific steps other than a simple pull? Many thanks. V
Hi,
I did - but apparently you don’t need to.
The fuse box is hidden behind a cloth cover.
You need to remove two plastic clips on the right hand edge of the cover to reveal the fuse box..
The centre pin of the clips needs to be pulled out - before pulling the whole thing out of the hole in the bodywork. This is the most fiddly part of the job - as well as replacing the clips - after you have removed the fuse.
There is a fuse puller clipped to the front of the fuse box.

Don’t do what I did - I took out the two clips, revealed the fuse box, unclipped the fuse puller, removed the fuse, replaced the cloth cover and re-fitted clips.
Then discovered that I had the fuse and fuse puller in my hand!
I could not be bothered to remove and refit cloth, to put puller back on the fuse box - so I just put the fuse and puller in the glovebox!
Cheers
Steve
Appreciate 4
london_v156.50
MechX3M40i1006.00
Pretzel92.50