BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-31-2018, 07:22 PM   #1
sharpharp
Private
Rep
Drives: x3

Picked up my G01 X3 today... But one side of bonnet is flapping....

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi all,

Picked up my X3 today and while driving back on the motorway from the dealership, I kept noticing that the drivers side of the bonnet appeared to be flapping. I brushed this off as an illusion of light.

Anyway, got home and surely enough when I checked, the drivers side of the bonnet was loose and the gap is way bigger than the other side, whereas the passenger side was firmly stuck as you would expect.

Having some from the F25 X3, I thought this was odd, as the build quality was top notch in the old X3.

I checked the manual and opened the bonnet (the release mechanism is very strange indeed and seems so sloppy) and then tried to close it firmly at the 50cm mark as it says, but the drivers side bonnet is still not shutting properly.

I am well annoyed and will be contacting the dealership tomorrow, but how on earth could BMW mess up a simple thing like the Bonnet release and close parts?

Anyone else found this to happen, is this a design fault, or someone easy to fix?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 07:26 PM   #2
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpharp View Post
Hi all,

Picked up my X3 today and while driving back on the motorway from the dealership, I kept noticing that the drivers side of the bonnet appeared to be flapping. I brushed this off as an illusion of light.

Anyway, got home and surely enough when I checked, the drivers side of the bonnet was loose and the gap is way bigger than the other side, whereas the passenger side was firmly stuck as you would expect.

Having some from the F25 X3, I thought this was odd, as the build quality was top notch in the old X3.

I checked the manual and opened the bonnet (the release mechanism is very strange indeed and seems so sloppy) and then tried to close it firmly at the 50cm mark as it says, but the drivers side bonnet is still not shutting properly.

I am well annoyed and will be contacting the dealership tomorrow, but how on earth could BMW mess up a simple thing like the Bonnet release and close parts?

Anyone else found this to happen, is this a design fault, or someone easy to fix?

Thanks
So the hood wasn't closed completely? Probably the service tech didn't slam it shut.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 08:47 PM   #3
Swampman
Swampman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40 - Glacier Silver

Closing Bonnet

It’sa little nerve racking at first. Aluminum bonnet requires a “enthusiastic” action (per manual) to close properly. Use some follow thru with hands. I also added lithium grease to contact points on latches since it was such an uncomfortable slam.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 11:01 PM   #4
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Yeah, same - you kinda have to follow through with a slam down from about like 5 or 6 inches open. at least that works for me. Otherwise it won't close. You can't push it down. It was one of the first things that the genius told me.

My F25, you can just drop it or if it didn't latch, you could then push it down. Not so with this one. I don't mind it, though.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 02:16 AM   #5
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Same here.

First time I had the bonnet open on G01, I thought I’d shut it. But looking back, there was a slight gap. It needs far more of a “slam” than F25 or F31 ever did!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 05:33 AM   #6
sharpharp
Private
Rep
Drives: x3

Thank you guys, that was it. Needed to give the bonnet a good whack down to sit in place, bit scary when you see how light the bonnet actually is.

After a few trials, I know the technique required to shut it firmly.

Compared to how the previous F25 X4 Bonnet closed, which felt premium, this one does not have the attention to detail by a long mile.

Also, is it just me that curses BMW for that centre front console cover (with the grey x3 printed on it) for not opening easy. You have to lose two fingernails trying to get the bugger to open. Again poor BMW quality.

It seems that quality has been sacrificed for the sake of weight.
Other than that, happy with the purchase, happy to upgrade to the G01 club
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 06:25 AM   #7
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpharp View Post
Hi all, Picked up my X3 today and while driving back on the motorway from the dealership, I kept noticing that the drivers side of the bonnet appeared to be flapping. I brushed this off as an illusion of light. Anyway, got home and surely enough when I checked, the drivers side of the bonnet was loose and the gap is way bigger than the other side, whereas the passenger side was firmly stuck as you would expect.

I checked the manual and opened the bonnet (the release mechanism is very strange indeed and seems so sloppy) and then tried to close it firmly at the 50cm mark as it says, but the drivers side bonnet is still not shutting properly... Anyone else found this to happen, is this a design fault, or someone easy to fix? Thanks
Greetings, sharpharp, and congratulations on your new G01!

I discussed the hood/bonnet closure mechanism back in 21 Nov 2017 in my 'X3 M40i delivered!' thread (post #527) - http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=527 . I included photographs comparing the bonnet of our 2015 X3 35i LCI to that of our G01 M40i which illustrates how the design and mechanisms have changed. It actually seems to be a more secure and better-designed mechanism when viewed in the comparison photos, esp once the method of closure is understood. Best way I've found to close is simply to place your hands directly over each latch (as the images show) on the bonnet's surface once it gets down to about 1-2' or so, then push down firmly leaving your hands on the surface even when it stops. This seems to prevent any rebound or bouncing effect. This requires less force and catches every time, as compared to when I was throwing it down forcefully without leaving my hands on the bonnet as I initially did.
Appreciate 1
ando2000.50
      04-01-2018, 08:05 AM   #8
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Congrats on the new car. I had to open and close my hood too at vehicle delivery as the left side wasn't fully closed. Overall I'm finding the new X3 very well made.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4717.50
      04-01-2018, 08:16 AM   #9
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
The aluminium bonnet is an issue for techs - they fear damaging it, so often they do not close it properly. I had the same issue on my X3 and before that on my E92 M3. You will get used to it. I find that the vehicle feels very solid.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 09:16 AM   #10
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

The F8x M3/M4 hood is also extremely light and hard to close. This obviously for better Ring times ;-) ha

I'm guessing BMW was attempting to save weight without compromising on crash safety.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #11
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
The F8x M3/M4 hood is also extremely light and hard to close. This obviously for better Ring times ;-) ha

I'm guessing BMW was attempting to save weight without compromising on crash safety.
That and achieving optimal weight distribution. As I recall the rear was steel.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 06:40 AM   #12
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

The center console in my X3 opens and closes seamlessly with little effort. I even trim my fingernails regularly.
Appreciate 0