BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-01-2018, 09:01 AM   #1
f30ser3
Private
Rep
Drives: On foot

Problems with electronic speedometer? Recall?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi,

in the morning I was reading article in the Wall Street Journal that car brands have some diffuculties to maintain proper working of digital dashboard for electronic speedometers, navigation and other things on led screens.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-lat...itp&yptr=yahoo

Has anybody from here experienced same problems in new X3? In this article is said that BMW and Land Rover-Jaguar have problems with that and some software recalls and updates were made.
It is also mentioned one story about Velar's costumer who got new Velar because of these issues but they reappeared, and one story of BMW buyer from Dallas(if I remember correctly) who suppose to have some problems with digital dashboard.

Honestly, I am not a fan of digital speedometer and I would pay to have regular analog in m40i but unfortunately there is no option for that in new BMW's models.

Last edited by f30ser3; 04-01-2018 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 12:55 PM   #2
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

That’s why I would prefer the hybrid dials
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 01:44 PM   #3
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Not sure what the fuss is about. (Though I can't read the article as it requires sign in)

BMW has had HUD and digital instrument for years, so has many other car manufacturers. As with anything with computer and programming, there could be the odd glitch and software bug. But it should be rare and easily fixable.

Digital instrument is here to stay.

Last edited by nosnoop; 04-01-2018 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 02:15 PM   #4
f30ser3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Not sure what the fuss is about. (Though I can't read the article as it requires sign in)

BMW has had HUD and digital instrument for years, so has many other car manufacturers. As with anything with computer and programming, there could be the old glitch and software bug. But it should be rare and easily fixable.

Digital instrument is here to stay.
Easy fixable? Like I had in previous car collision asist and car brake for no reason by itself and my neck hurt me for one month. It was not BMW but anyways it was"smart" technology. Luckily no car was behind me because it would be big crash. Yes it was easy fix they re-installed software for that thing but I sold car soon after that.

It would be more appropriate that you read article before you comment, because they are saying about 30.000 recall for Jaguar Land Rover and also that Bmw was recalling in January this year they are saying. It is written in article that digital-instrument clusters may intermittently go blank while being driven, according to documents of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

You are driving car and speedometer freeze. Welcome to new era of technology lol.

X4guy yeah hybrid would be much better than only digital like in video games.
At least this could be good excuse for somebody caught on radar. "Sorry officer for speeding my speedometer was frozen!"

Last edited by f30ser3; 04-01-2018 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 02:30 PM   #5
Dzo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp. xDrive

In the late 90’s, I’ve had an Opel Astra. One day, the fully analog speedometer broke. I’ve driven not knowing at which speed I was. Weird and scary.
So, not a new kind of problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 02:36 PM   #6
f30ser3
Private
Rep

But this was probably not so often and still much more reliable. Most likely Opel didn't recall 30.000 vehicles for speedometer recall. Sure nothing lasts forever and everything can break. I don't know lifetime for lcd screen but I suppose that is shorter than simple analog speedometer. And you need also additional chip or computer to show digital. I don't know time will tell but I don't like it. Especially in eco mode is rubish.

Last edited by f30ser3; 04-01-2018 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 07:06 PM   #7
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f30ser3 View Post
But this was probably not so often and still much more reliable. Most likely Opel didn't recall 30.000 vehicles for speedometer recall. Sure nothing lasts forever and everything can break. I don't know lifetime for lcd screen but I suppose that is shorter than simple analog speedometer. And you need also additional chip or computer to show digital. I don't know time will tell but I don't like it. Especially in eco mode is rubish.
They must have isolated the problem because a 30k recall is pretty small, as far as recalls go. That's just a few weeks of sales for Land Rover. Many recalls span years worth of vehicles of multiple models.

They must have identified a faulty component on a part or board revision and have all the info on which cars those went into.

I've seen many, many analog meters that either don't work or are obviously inaccurate. Moving parts are taken down by friction over time. Digital is not perfect either but generally will either fail quickly or last a long time.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 06:48 AM   #8
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

I’m sure you’ll be okay with the digital cluster. And if you paid extra for a full analog, that would be a silly precaution to waste money on...

If it does freeze or turn off and a person is incapable or scared to drive without a speedo all of a sudden, said person probably shouldn’t be driving anyway.

After all that’s what warranties are for...this isn’t a jag or rr where it has some of the worst maintenance performance in history of EVER lol
Appreciate 0