BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-03-2021, 07:46 PM   #1
LenF0052
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d M Sport;2021 M340i

G01 Sunroof slide seals falling in

Our 2018 G01 30d M Sport had some sunroof seal issues on delivery & so work was done in the 3 months post delivery where mainly (I thought) the cross Glass to glass seal was replaced.

Some three years on & I noticed the left hand side rear outer seal where the metal movable glass panel brackets slide had fallen in for 80% of the length.

Careful fishing out and leveling I tried opening the roof & it pushed it back into the track area again. Repeat procedure & comparison with the other side & it looked like it had to be pushed sideways on to the fixed glass panel this seemed to resolve the problem but the feel of the rubber was not good & looked like it had shrunk in length too so some 2 to 3 mm of end gap. Not a lage lip area to push on to the fixed glass either. Following this refitting a treatment with Armoural protectant & it seems better & works without being pushed back into the groove.

We do live in Australia & sun does play havoc on exposed rubber but being retired both our cars apart from occasional restaurant outings 'Never' get parked in the sun for any length of time.

Question:- has anyone else had sunroof seal problems like this or had to replace sunroof seals. It would seem from the part number 54107493151 it is a part used on other X models as well. I did try to find and ETK for fitting new seals but have not had any luck. Any information help to resolve this would be appreciated. When we get rain here it is not something you want open to the elements. Over 200mm/8" in the last week & 50% of that in one 2 hour downpour.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 06:38 AM   #2
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenF0052 View Post
Question:- has anyone else had sunroof seal problems like this or had to replace sunroof seals. It would seem from the part number 54107493151 it is a part used on other X models as well. I did try to find and ETK for fitting new seals but have not had any luck. Any information help to resolve this would be appreciated. When we get rain here it is not something you want open to the elements. Over 200mm/8" in the last week & 50% of that in one 2 hour downpour.
Sunroof seals appear to be an issue for several brands.

Krytox Roof Rubber Care Oil Lubricant has been mentioned as a preventative measure to maintain the seals for future ref.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 03:43 PM   #3
LenF0052
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d M Sport;2021 M340i

Seems to be more so with the slide out style than the slide in and under. All previous X3 which we have owned since end of 2015 have never had any problems just the G01
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 04:11 PM   #4
dmicah
Internet Weasel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenF0052 View Post

We do live in Australia & sun does play havoc on exposed rubber but being retired both our cars apart from occasional restaurant outings 'Never' get parked in the sun for any length of time.

I moved from rainy Seattle to the desert near Palm Springs. Never had any problem with seals until I got down here and they failed within a year. My symptom was that it bumped up above the roofline, making it easy to spot. Fortunately it was under warranty and the dealer took care of it. BTW: we park in a garage so it doesn't sit in the sun...but the garage temps around here can get into the 115 fahrenheit range, so maybe it's heat more than sun.

They replaced the gasket, and the part number they used for mine is just a few digits off yours:

54-10-7-493-155
Appreciate 0