BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-04-2021, 12:03 PM   #45
lefizzet
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGrey View Post
Don't want to hijack the thread... but are you over on the Macan forum as well? I'm still on there regularly. I jumped from a '17 GTS to a '21 X4M40i..... and I haven't really missed the GTS too much. Yes, the ride is different from the AS (sometimes more harsh, but sometimes I enjoy the stiffer ride). And yes, the steering on the X4 is not as good (more numbness)... but other than those two items, that's about it. The (Macan) PDK is incredible... but it's just a Audi DSG with magic fairy dust, it's not the 911 PDK... and do I miss it for everyday driving? Nope. And I definitely don't miss it parking (esp in my garage). The M40i B58 engine coupled with the ZF trans is so sublime, I cannot put it into words. Well, yes I can... It's intoxicating. It even FEELS more powerful than it is. And eventho my CarPlay tech has been glitchy, OMG... the tech is so nice. I don't even fancy myself a "tech" guy... but honestly, I don't think I can go back to a Porsche anytime soon... AT LEAST NOT FOR MY DAILY DRIVING. A weekender? That's totally different. And yes, the pricing on the new GTS with options is right up Porsche alley. Sorry, not for me when I'm beating down my car down as a DD. Maybe if I was retired and just running casual errands and enjoying life. I might could consider a mediocre priced "S".... but again, I think the tech (or lack there of) will be holding me back. I really, and I mean REALLY, like having the hand dial to maneuver through my menu options and tech. My wife's LR has touch screen only, and I cannot stand it anymore.
Yes, same username. Multiple threads over blown engine and whatnot smh LOL. But good to know you are loving the change so far!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 08:16 PM   #46
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtilluminati View Post
My wife drives a RDX A-Spec and loves it. New for 2022 you can get an A-Spec Advance trim level on the RDX
Finally! Now all they need to do is release the Type-S already and then they can actually compete with the M40i!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 08:27 PM   #47
brettl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias1431 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtilluminati View Post
My wife drives a RDX A-Spec and loves it. New for 2022 you can get an A-Spec Advance trim level on the RDX
Finally! Now all they need to do is release the Type-S already and then they can actually compete with the M40i!
And update the center stack & dash to be more like the new MDX. They're almost there…
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 09:34 PM   #48
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettl View Post
And update the center stack & dash to be more like the new MDX. They're almost there…
Oh yeah, and also get rid of all that gloss back.

And use knobs for temp for control, not buttons...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 06:26 AM   #49
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Another brand/model (definitely not as obvious) that has popped up several times in my research is the Volvo XC60 “Polestar Engineered” which is their high performance model. The MY23 will apparently have 450 HP (up from 415) although not as fast on 0-60 as the BMW X3 M40i. This would be only relevant if you take your cars to the race track. The driving dynamics, however, seems to be pretty much on par with the X3 M40i, the Porsche Macan and other similar vehicles. To sweeten the pot, it comes standard with an electric range of 30 miles which will go up to 50 miles in MY23.

Does anyone here have recent firsthand experience with Volvo Polestar Engineered? Here is a test drive review from a vlogger in the UK. I am actually VERY intrigued.

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 12-07-2021 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
london_v156.50
      12-07-2021, 09:45 AM   #50
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

How to sell a pup - I mean, you have to pop the bonnet to adjust the suspension? It's refreshing for a "nerd like me". FFS. Granted it's possibly more configurable but really?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 11:28 AM   #51
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
How to sell a pup - I mean, you have to pop the bonnet to adjust the suspension? It's refreshing for a "nerd like me". FFS. Granted it's possibly more configurable but really?
My understanding is that suspension on that particular Volvo adjusts automatically based on your mode of driving, speed and/or terrain. 95% of people won’t mess around with those suspension knobs. But for the true car enthusiasts at whom the car is aimed, the Öhlin manual suspension can be adjusted to fine tune to your peculiar tastes. I personally think it’s a really neat feature.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 03:10 PM   #52
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Good shout. But not sure I'm quite ready to step into a Volvo :
Appreciate 2
      12-07-2021, 03:17 PM   #53
seang86s
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i, 1997 BMW M3

FWIW, I considered the (S)Q5 but determined the trunk/boot space was too small for our German Shepherd.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 04:42 PM   #54
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by london_v View Post
I hear ya loud and clear! I am in the same boat as you. I am trying to be pragmatic about it. I love BMW but Volvo seems to be doing something right in integrating a really good PHEV in a high performance package. We are not ready to go full electric in most parts of North America, yet. So, I am actually hoping to take one for a test drive next week and see for myself.
Appreciate 1
london_v156.50
      12-07-2021, 04:55 PM   #55
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by london_v View Post
I hear ya loud and clear! I am in the same boat as you. I am trying to be pragmatic about it. I love BMW but Volvo seems to be doing something right in integrating a really good PHEV in a high performance package. We are not ready to go full electric in most parts of North America, yet. So, I am actually hoping to take one for a test drive next week and see for myself.
Cool, let me know how you get on.

It's a real funny time to but a car. Normally I decide pretty quickly, but with long lead times, the whole electric thing and new cars being released thick and fast, deciding isn't as easy.

In other news, I phoned Mercedes the other day to enquire about a GLB35. They told me I wouldn't be able to test drive one as they've not had one for over a year, and if I want to order one it will take at least 18 months
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 05:18 PM   #56
lefizzet
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 X3 M40i

Quote:
Another brand/model (definitely not as obvious) that has popped up several times in my research is the Volvo XC60 “Polestar Engineered” which is their high performance model. The MY23 will apparently have 450 HP (up from 415) although not as fast on 0-60 as the BMW X3 M40i. This would be only relevant if you take your cars to the race track. The driving dynamics, however, seems to be pretty much on par with the X3 M40i, the Porsche Macan and other similar vehicles. To sweeten the pot, it comes standard with an electric range of 30 miles which will go up to 50 miles in MY23.

Does anyone here have recent firsthand experience with Volvo Polestar Engineered? Here is a test drive review from a vlogger in the UK. I am actually VERY intrigued.
If you're considering an XC60 I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend you test drive one first. We just picked up a 2022 XC60 T5 Inscription on a killer lease deal, and while I like most things about the car, the ride quality/suspension damping is absolutely horrible. If you do some research you'll see it's one of the biggest problems with the car. IMO it rides stiff like the X3M but without any of the tight handling characteristics. Aside from that, it's been a great car and the interior is very nice. Car has 20" inch wheels. Although I have no idea what the polestar engineered car drives like as I've never driven one

Appreciate 2
      12-07-2021, 06:15 PM   #57
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefizzet View Post
If you're considering an XC60 I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend you test drive one first. We just picked up a 2022 XC60 T5 Inscription on a killer lease deal, and while I like most things about the car, the ride quality/suspension damping is absolutely horrible. If you do some research you'll see it's one of the biggest problems with the car. IMO it rides stiff like the X3M but without any of the tight handling characteristics. Aside from that, it's been a great car and the interior is very nice. Car has 20" inch wheels. Although I have no idea what the polestar engineered car drives like as I've never driven one
Thank you for the feedback. That’s exactly what we are doing. The plan (hope) is to test drive the XC60 T8 Polestar and a BMW X3 M40i on the same day. From my research, the XC60 Polestar features a major upgrade in suspension and rotors/brakes to provide excellent handling characteristics on all types of road conditions. One of the Volvo salesman I spoke with over the phone did say to expect a ride and handling similar to an M series SUV but with the addition of being able to further fine-tune the Öhlin suspension manually on the XC60 Polestar (as shown in the video above). We actually test drove a 2020 X3M two weeks ago and we thought it was much better than the suspension on our 2014 X1 or on the current X2.

Really glad to hear that you like the rest of your Volvo XC60 T5.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2021, 10:49 AM   #58
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Just a follow up on my previous post…

Volvo is, unfortunately, discontinuing their top-of-the-line XC60 T8 “Polestar Engineered” from their 2022 lineup for Mexico. As an alternative, we saw the R-design T8 in the showroom and, although beautiful, there were a few things that bugged us like their infotainment not having Apple Carplay yet and no timeline about when it will be available. As it is a hybrid, our insurance agent also warned us of paying 30% more in premiums compared to a normal ICE car which would also eat into the gas savings. The higher premium had something to do on how expensive the battery cells are to replace in case of an accident, flooding, etc. He said when this happens, these hybrid cars are usually totaled. We decided not to test drive it.

Having said that, just a couple of days ago we went to a Porsche dealer and test drove a pre-owned 2019 Macan S to get an idea before deciding to order the more powerful 2022 model. Then yesterday we also had the opportunity to make a direct comparison with BMW. We test drove a brand new 2021 BMW X3 M40i a dealer still had in stock.

Our expectations ran very high on the Macan from all the online reviews giving it high marks. I really wanted to love the Porsche Macan S, but the BMW X3 M40i was the better vehicle in almost every aspect. Performance-wise, it offered and exhilarating ride the Macan S was not able to achieve. Obviously, YMMV.
Appreciate 2
TXGrey1284.00
london_v156.50
      12-15-2021, 11:29 AM   #59
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Just a follow up on my previous post…

Volvo is, unfortunately, discontinuing their top-of-the-line XC60 T8 “Polestar Engineered” from their 2022 lineup for Mexico. As an alternative, we saw the R-design T8 in the showroom and, although beautiful, there were a few things that bugged us like their infotainment not having Apple Carplay yet and no timeline about when it will be available. As it is a hybrid, our insurance agent also warned us of paying 30% more in premiums compared to a normal ICE car which would also eat into the gas savings. The higher premium had something to do on how expensive the battery cells are to replace in case of an accident, flooding, etc. He said when this happens, these hybrid cars are usually totaled. We decided not to test drive it.

Having said that, just a couple of days ago we went to a Porsche dealer and test drove a pre-owned 2019 Macan S to get an idea before deciding to order the more powerful 2022 model. Then yesterday we also had the opportunity to make a direct comparison with BMW. We test drove a brand new 2021 BMW X3 M40i a dealer still had in stock.

Our expectations ran very high on the Macan from all the online reviews giving it high marks. I really wanted to love the Porsche Macan S, but the BMW X3 M40i was the better vehicle in almost every aspect. Performance-wise, it offered and exhilarating ride the Macan S was not able to achieve. Obviously, YMMV.
FYI, the '22 Macan S has a V6, the '19 you drove is only a 4 cylinder. That said, the X3 for the price is a better deal than the Macan, the Macan can be more luxurious though.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 11:30 AM   #60
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

To be fair to Porsche, the 2019 S is more like the X3 30i. That being said, I think 2022 onward got a pump to each level- the GTS is now the S, the Turbo is now the GTS, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 12:14 PM   #61
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
FYI, the '22 Macan S has a V6, the '19 you drove is only a 4 cylinder. That said, the X3 for the price is a better deal than the Macan, the Macan can be more luxurious though.
The ‘19 Macan S we drove was actually a 6-cylinder engine, not 4. For comparison purposes regarding HP:

2019 Macan S: V6, 348 HP (not too far off from ‘22 model)
2022 BMW X3 M40i: 373 HP
2022 Macan S: 375 HP
2022 BMW X3 xDrive 30i: 248 HP

Now, just to be clear, it was not on HP where the Macan S wasn’t satisfactory, in my book. It was the entire driving dynamics at play… throttle response laggy, suspension feel too floaty for my taste, steering too soft (although the salesman said it firms up at higher speeds), brake response was very good but not stellar, the overall feeling in the cockpit as if there’s less headroom.

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 12-15-2021 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 12:42 PM   #62
Navypilot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i

I have a 2016 Macan S that I am trading in next week on my new 2022 X3M40i. The Macan is a great car. For 2022, Porsche dropped the engine from the GTS in to the Macan S. This does NOT mean the 22 is a GTS. My issue was that the 22 Macan S with similar options to the M40i was now $79,000. My M40i with more features, great engine and transmission was $65,000. The money maker for Porsche is the base Macan with the Audi Q5 4 cylinder engine. Because of this, they can line item you to death and drive the price up. Get my M40i next week!
Appreciate 1
delray1.50
      12-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #63
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navypilot View Post
I have a 2016 Macan S that I am trading in next week on my new 2022 X3M40i. The Macan is a great car. For 2022, Porsche dropped the engine from the GTS in to the Macan S. This does NOT mean the 22 is a GTS. My issue was that the 22 Macan S with similar options to the M40i was now $79,000. My M40i with more features, great engine and transmission was $65,000. The money maker for Porsche is the base Macan with the Audi Q5 4 cylinder engine. Because of this, they can line item you to death and drive the price up. Get my M40i next week!
Both cars, 2022 X3 M40i and 2022 Macan S, are similarly priced in Mexico. If you don’t go crazy in aesthetic options, the Porsche Macan S can be had for the same price as the X3 M40i. We were going for performance and driving dynamics more than technology. So, it made total sense to test drive both vehicles in our decision making process. In the end, for us, the BMW X3 M40i came significantly ahead in this regard. Then you start thinking about all the other stuff added to the X3 M40i as standard and the decision becomes obvious.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 01:21 PM   #64
hokieman1
HokieV
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon - 2022 X3 M40i

X3 M40i alternate

I test drove a GV70 3.5L Prestige trim level yesterday and was very impressed with the drive. It is a toss up in my opinion in many aspects. I did not like the 2 dial wheels (one for controls of the display and one for the drivetrain) as they were real close to one another. I did like that it had memory telescoping steering wheel which the M40i does not. I found the ride very comfortable, quite and pick-up with the 3.5L seemed very similar to the M40i.

One novelty I found interesting is it has Remote Parking Assist, which allows you to be outside of the car and control movement in and out of parking spaces with the key fob. Handy if you are in a real close space with little room to open the doors (like if someone parks too close to you after you have already parked.)

However I am having the same issues buying one of these (GV70) as with buying a M40i, no supply. Most in transit are already sold and I am particular about colors. None of the local BMW dealers have any allocations until sometime in January for Feb. or later delivery.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 01:28 PM   #65
Snave01
M'ber
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘22 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefizzet View Post

Yep, with the large rims mine rides very stiff...one of the reasons I stayed with the 19"s for now on the M40i. I do have the Polestar software update on mine which is supposed to increase performance, throttle response, etc. and it's fairly quick but I've not driven a comparable model without the software to see ho much impact it has.

Overall, not unhappy with the Volvo - slow infotainment (as of the '19 model), smallish screen, and the rough ride are really my only gripes. I just like to change things up every few years.
      12-15-2021, 02:03 PM   #66
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
The '19 Macan S we drove was actually a 6-cylinder engine, not 4. For comparison purposes regarding HP:

2019 Macan S: V6, 348 HP (not too far off from '22 model)
2022 BMW X3 M40i: 373 HP
2022 Macan S: 375 HP
2022 BMW X3 xDrive 30i: 248 HP

Now, just to be clear, it was not on HP where the Macan S wasn't satisfactory, in my book. It was the entire driving dynamics at play… throttle response laggy, suspension feel too floaty for my taste, steering too soft (although the salesman said it firms up at higher speeds), brake response was very good, but not stellar, the overall feeling in the cockpit as if there's less headroom.
Agree for the most part IMO… coming from a '17 GTS…. Turbo lag is pretty bad depending on how you drive with certain years & models… Depending on whether you drove one with Air Suspension or Springs, it's A LOT softer ride (also 19s or 20s makes a difference), hence the reason so many like the Macan over X3/X4 (they feel BMW is too stiff), esp with RF tires. The steering though, I still give to Porsche. Around town, it's good. At high speeds, it's freegin' amazing. The M40i gets a little nervous when you hit triple digits… not enough to get scared, just enough to make you remember you're driving a CUV. In the GTS, the higher speed you went, the more comfortable the dang thing got. It was magical. At least, until you threw it into a turn, then you felt the weight immediately (but that's not Porsche's fault)…. And even then, I never really felt scared in the GTS… and I definitely threw that thing into a few scenarios I probably shouldn't have (on the street anyhow). The real catch? Find a gently used Turbo… S's are nice, GTSs are fun… but the sweet spot was the Turbo. But they were so expensive, they didn't really sell a ton of them. Still don't regret switching to a M40i though! We are all lucky to be able to have these choices!
Appreciate 0