BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #45
lo_cheng
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Latest Update. Today I got a very long USB cable, so I can sit in the driver seat to do some tuning.
Made couple adjustment, now I am very happy.

I kind of forgot how the stock amp sound now, but I do recall the first day I pick up the car i was disappointed about the sound. Now it is actually good.

Just replace the factory AMP with Up7BMW made a day and night differ.

I now loaded 2 differ profile. Will listen more an switching between them. I think at this point, I am petty much done with the adjustment, just by ear.

Now temping to replace under seat sub, what put me off is the factory sub is glue in, not screw. So have to remove the seat to take them out, then use hammer to hammer them out.

If it is just screw out / in replacement, I think I will just do it.

Last edited by lo_cheng; 06-15-2019 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 07:06 PM   #46
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

Same here. I'll replace all speakers except under seat sub. The trunk sub would suffice.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 03:08 AM   #47
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Upgrade speakers to Scan Speak

Managed to install Scan-Speak D3004/6020-00 and Scan-Speak Discovery 10f/4424g after 3D printed the bracket and cutting the panel for installation. If you don't want to cut the panel, then I would suggest going for Eminence SD28 tweeter and FaitalPro 4FE32.

After using REW to do the measurement without EQ, found out I need reverse polarity for both Left and Right tweeters so that there's no cancellation at crossover region (3k hz). Center speaker is fine without reversing the polarity.

If you are willing to cut the tweeter mounting, I would highly recommend this combo as it's at another level of details and vocal is so sweet with this setup. No harshness at all at higher volume. Based on the measurement, the only weak link now is the underseat subwoofer. The sensitivity is low compare to trunk sub and speakers. Need to boost more than 6 db in order to blend with the trunk sub. I'm interested to get GRS B200-2 ASD Series 8" Glass Fiber Subwoofer Speaker from Part Express to replace the underseat sub. Looks quite similar to Bimmertech underseat sub which I'm quite satisfy with the mid bass in my F10.

After more listening session in the X3, I decided to upgrade my F10 front speakers with Scan Speak speakers too. The vocal with Scan Speak is too addictive. Can't get the same feeling from Eminence SD28 & FaitalPro 4FE32 combo.

Note: The freq response for the speakers are with 160hz butterworth 4th order high pass filter without EQ and subwoofer turn off.
Attached Images

Last edited by pierreye; 12-08-2019 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2020, 09:56 AM   #48
Chopper45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40d

Did anyone notice if the ASD loudness increased/decreased after installation of the Up7BMW ? I'm considering upgrading but don't want a boomy ASD nor do i want to bypass it completely either...
Appreciate 1
M40i01746.50
      02-04-2020, 06:16 PM   #49
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

ASD signal is fixed so the loudness will depends on the sensitivity of the amp. You can use esys to reprogram the ASD loudness level. I only have the code for F series so I'm not sure if this apply to G01.

Disable Active Sound Design
CAF 3000 Funktionen - Baureihe F021
3000 ASD-Configuration - Funktionen - Baureihe to F021

HU_NBT 3000 ASD_SOUND_OFF
Power Class - Ausgelesen
KL = Lowest level
UL = Lower level
ML = Middle level (this is what is set from factory)
OL = Upper Level
TL = Top Level
SL = Super Level
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 11:01 PM   #50
Alex C.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bmw X3 xdrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo_cheng View Post
Latest Update. Today I got a very long USB cable, so I can sit in the driver seat to do some tuning.
Made couple adjustment, now I am very happy.

I kind of forgot how the stock amp sound now, but I do recall the first day I pick up the car i was disappointed about the sound. Now it is actually good.

Just replace the factory AMP with Up7BMW made a day and night differ.

I now loaded 2 differ profile. Will listen more an switching between them. I think at this point, I am petty much done with the adjustment, just by ear.

Now temping to replace under seat sub, what put me off is the factory sub is glue in, not screw. So have to remove the seat to take them out, then use hammer to hammer them out.

If it is just screw out / in replacement, I think I will just do it.
I did the grs underseat subs and it really wasnt too difficult replacing them. I did them in the winter too and prying the old subs out wasnt too much of a hassle. All I did was wedge a screwdriver between the sub and enclosure and gently twisted to “pop” them out. The enclosure is secured in the car with two bolts which are easy to remove but have a magnetic pickup tool handy as I dropped one and had to use one to retrieve it. The factory plug did have a groove that I had to cut with flush cutters for it to fit but it took less than 5sec each plug. Overall the install took me less than 2 hours with torquing the seatbolts.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 06:01 PM   #51
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Just swap out stock HIFI sub with GRS underseat sub. Also apply Dynamat to the subwoofer enclosure and metal panel under the seat. Haven't done any listening test as I'm tuning the underseat sub with REW. Based on the label of stock HIFI sub, it's 2 ohm rated 25W RMS. If you upgraded your amp to 150W and above, I would advice to swap out the sub. Distortion would be very bad for the sub once you exceeded the rated wattage and wouldn't play louder compare to higher wattage sub.
Attached Images

Last edited by pierreye; 02-06-2020 at 02:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 01:13 PM   #52
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreye View Post
Just swap out stock HIFI sub with GRS underseat sub. Also apply Dynamat to the subwoofer enclosure and metal panel under the seat. Haven't done any listening test as I'm tuning the underseat sub with REW. Based on the label of stock HIFI sub, it's 2 ohm rated 25W RMS. If you upgraded your amp to 150W and above, I would advice to swap out the sub. Distortion would be very bad for the sub once you exceeded the rated wattage and wouldn't play louder compare to higher wattage sub.
I'm upgrading to Bavsound Ghost subs (as well as the speaker package).

I am debating if the fiberfill is worth it or not? It seems;

1) If the box is correctly sized it can have a negative effect.
2) If the box is ported and you block the port, it will mean less sound.

What are your thoughts? Did you try both with/without the fiberfill?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 02:02 PM   #53
justanotherx3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i

Nice build!

I love reading aftermarket audio threads, glad there's a scene for it. I just had my stereo installed (https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25871321) and it's night & day compared to the regular HiFi system. Had to dynamat the entire trunk as well as license plate, and need to figure out something for the sunroof because of the slight rattle on full volume.

I ended up with More Hybrid 4" components, Helix V EIGHT DSP/Amp, Morel ADMW 9" underseat woofers, two JL TW5 subwoofers driven by Kenwood Exceleron 1001.1. Kept stock read fills.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 03:11 PM   #54
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Awesome build, Just picked up an G01 x3 w/Hifi audio... Quick question I hope you can answer... How does this amp upgrade sound with its base DSP config?

The reason I ask is ive been doing stereo installs for many years and they were always pretty easy to get good sound out of them. In my previous car ( BMW E90 ) I did a full JBL MS8 DSP and it took so much trial and error that I wanted to just throw it out...

My old build thread - https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713405

If I buy this amp the MatchUP7 and just swap it out will it sound pretty good without much fine tuning or will it require constant tinkering? Im just look to add some new underseat subs for a little more base and a little more power to the rest of the speakers.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 1
M40i01746.50
      03-29-2020, 06:11 PM   #55
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

[QUOTE=QUiKSR20;25984117

If I buy this amp the MatchUP7 and just swap it out will it sound pretty good without much fine tuning or will it require constant tinkering? Im just look to add some new underseat subs for a little more base and a little more power to the rest of the speakers.

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

I've got an older model AudioTech Fischer amp in my F25; first time I'd ever worked with a DSP unit. Using a laptop and the AudioTech software you can tune the amp quite well/easily by ear w/laptop sitting on your lap in the driver seat - set the proper time delay on the speakers (easy to do, just use tape measure to input distances from each speaker to your listening position) and adjust couple other parameters and you'll have great sound; definitely better than out of the box w/o any 'tuning'. Once you get it set to your liking, done - no more need to alter any settings.

Best to get a 'tune' file for your specific model car (if AudioTech has one) and then make the above add'l tweaks.

Good luck/Bill
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 07:06 PM   #56
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
I'm upgrading to Bavsound Ghost subs (as well as the speaker package).

I am debating if the fiberfill is worth it or not? It seems;

1) If the box is correctly sized it can have a negative effect.
2) If the box is ported and you block the port, it will mean less sound.

What are your thoughts? Did you try both with/without the fiberfill?
I didn't try without fiberfill. The fiberfill is loosely stuff so that shouldn't block the opening. So far based on my measurement and listening test, no issue at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 07:09 PM   #57
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post

Thanks in advance!
You can get my old tuning file for HIFI speakers. But note that my car is RHD. So you need to reverse the delay for L/R speakers. You definitely need tuning to get the right sound stage and balance sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 07:13 PM   #58
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherx3 View Post
Nice build!

I love reading aftermarket audio threads, glad there's a scene for it. I just had my stereo installed (https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25871321) and it's night & day compared to the regular HiFi system. Had to dynamat the entire trunk as well as license plate, and need to figure out something for the sunroof because of the slight rattle on full volume.

I ended up with More Hybrid 4" components, Helix V EIGHT DSP/Amp, Morel ADMW 9" underseat woofers, two JL TW5 subwoofers driven by Kenwood Exceleron 1001.1. Kept stock read fills.
Yeah. I read your thread and like your component list. The 9" mid that you installed should be better than GRS as midbass.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 01:18 AM   #59
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreye View Post
You can get my old tuning file for HIFI speakers. But note that my car is RHD. So you need to reverse the delay for L/R speakers. You definitely need tuning to get the right sound stage and balance sound.
Cool thanks, Def wanna upgrade the amp in our G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
I've got an older model AudioTech Fischer amp in my F25; first time I'd ever worked with a DSP unit. Using a laptop and the AudioTech software you can tune the amp quite well/easily by ear w/laptop sitting on your lap in the driver seat - set the proper time delay on the speakers (easy to do, just use tape measure to input distances from each speaker to your listening position) and adjust couple other parameters and you'll have great sound; definitely better than out of the box w/o any 'tuning'. Once you get it set to your liking, done - no more need to alter any settings.

Best to get a 'tune' file for your specific model car (if AudioTech has one) and then make the above add'l tweaks.

Good luck/Bill
Thanks! With the MS8 I could do the same but it was a nightmare trying to get it to sound right. I dont want a repeat of that. Nothings worse they spending a ton of money to make your system better and then it not sounding good at all.. Id almost rather avoid the whole DSP aspect and just replace the factory amp with a more powerfull amp without any added DSP functionality unless of course its going to sound better easily.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 12:29 PM   #60
Seartrip
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper45 View Post
Did anyone notice if the ASD loudness increased/decreased after installation of the Up7BMW ? I'm considering upgrading but don't want a boomy ASD nor do i want to bypass it completely either...
When I installed my Match UP7 the ASD became very loud- comically so. In fact I got about 30 feet down the road before I said it has to be fixed. In my case I just decided to do the bypass harness on my 2019 and be done with it. I didn't want to do that immediately, but I'm used to it now and like it. Plus I feel the overall sound quality is better as the speakers aren't trying to reproduce music and engine noise at the same time.
Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      03-30-2020, 12:34 PM   #61
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

QHIkSR20: I looked at the Audiotech Fischer website, they have one tune file available for BMW SUV. you might
want to download and load file to new amp and see how it sounds, then make minor tweaks as I mentioned to adjust speaker timing, etc.

Or start with the tune file offered by the other person who posted here, or try out both files and see how it sounds to your ear. Tuning is pretty simple really, and once done you're set.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 12:45 PM   #62
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
QHIkSR20: I looked at the Audiotech Fischer website, they have one tune file available for BMW SUV. you might
want to download and load file to new amp and see how it sounds, then make minor tweaks as I mentioned to adjust speaker timing, etc.

Or start with the tune file offered by the other person who posted here, or try out both files and see how it sounds to your ear. Tuning is pretty simple really, and once done you're set.
Thank you, I may look to do that... Does anyone know of a US Distributor or is it better to just buy the bavaudio or bimmertech branded one? ( think its prob best to get from Fischer direct ).
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 08:37 PM   #63
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

You can get one from eBay around USD 700. Try to offer the seller this price using "Offer Me" option.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 10:06 PM   #64
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Hey Guys so in my F30 I have an HK setup, Would adding this amp bring my G01 w/Hifi up to or close to that setup in sound?

Im pretty happy with my HK if anything was gonna add new underseat subs or a small trunk sub..

In the SUV I think im gonna add this amp + use the line out for a small trunk sub or maybe new underseats..
Would love to hear from anyone familiar with the subject on how this compares to the factory HK in say the F30.

Thanks for any info guys, Really appreciate it.

Last edited by QUiKSR20; 03-31-2020 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 06:33 AM   #65
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
Hey Guys so in my F30 I have an HK setup, Would adding this amp bring my G01 w/Hifi up to or close to that setup in sound?

Im pretty happy with my HK if anything was gonna add new underseat subs or a small trunk sub..

In the SUV I think im gonna add this amp + use the line out for a small trunk sub or maybe new underseats..
Would love to hear from anyone familiar with the subject on how this compares to the factory HK in say the F30.

Thanks for any info guys, Really appreciate it.
I have HK setup in my F10. Before I upgrade my wife's X3, I had change out the speakers with DIY Eminence SD28 tweeter with Faital Pro 4FE32 mid using 2nd order crossover + Alpha One underseat sub. Definitely much better than stock with much clearer high and good mid bass punch. Without a sub in the trunk, it wouldn't go deeper. As for X3, you can read my progress. Just with HIFI stock speakers and change out the amp with good tuning, I immediately can feel the difference in term of sound staging which is better than HK. But my upgraded HK system still sound better in term of SQ.

After I swap out the speakers with Scan Speak and changing the underseat sub + trunk sub, the system truly shine and is way better than my F10 sound system. Now I wanted to change out the front 3 speakers to Scan Speak and hopefully it would be close to my wife's X3 in term of SQ.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 09:51 AM   #66
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

F30: you might want to browse here https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...=Match+up7+BMW
Appreciate 0